Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on July 12, 2011
I purchased this because the wrist strap on my Garmin 301 wasn't up to the rigors of cycling -- I had lost 3 pins in as many months because the stress on the pins from going over bumps and the like was too much. This mount has solved my problem quite nicely. It is a quality piece, definitely sturdy enough for road oriented cycling. I am a near daily bike commuter, about 20 miles each way. I ride a combination of streets and MUP, with rough pavement, tree roots and the occasional oversized pavement lip as my major obstructions. I don't hop curbs at speed, and I don't ride on unimproved trails -- I express no opinion as to this mount's ability for true off-road, but I'd be hesitant without some secondary security.

The one major issue is that I don't think this mount would fit easily on most road bike handlebars (I ride a drop bar hybrid with brifters and road style bars). The mount opening is sized for standard flat type bars, as far as I can tell, and while it appears that it would fit on the narrowest part of my bars, that's where the tape is, so without retaping my bars there isn't space.

I have this issue solved with one of my other purchases, a phone case with accessory bar which had a wider mount and fit over the edge of the bar tape, and cleared my shifter cable. The Garmin mount fits just fine on the accessory bar, and it is angled so I can read the big display well enough. I cannot, however, read the smaller displays without moving way out of position or stopping. This is not a problem for me, as I'm usually just tracking my date for later use, but if you want real-time review, you'd need a different mounting location. I think I could get the mount on the top of the bar if I needed to, but the effort involved in retaping would make me think twice.

Overall, though, a solid and functional piece of kit that is far better than wearing my Forerunner on my wrist while riding.
on May 7, 2011
I read all the other reviews before buying this, and it seemed the 2 common themes were that it was unnecessary and that it didn't work without removing the wrist strap. I decided to get it anyway to mount my ForeRunner 301 to my Scott P2, and I'm happy I did.

No, you don't have to remove the wrist strap to mount the ForeRunner, but you do have to orient it the right way. The wrist strap is not centered on the ForeRunner, so the slot on the mount to accomodate the wrist band is not centered. Because of that the ForeRunner will fit one way but not the other, but once I had it snapped in it was securely mounted without even wrapping the wrist strap around the handle bars.

As far as being unnecessary that's an individual opinion. I used to just wrap my ForeRunner around the handle bars, but then it would slip down where I couldn't read it, or because of the shape of the bars it would be angled away from me. I like the mount because it raises the ForeRunner off the bars, I can set the angle on the mount so the ForeRunner is always readable, and it doesn't get in the way of other mounts.

I consider it worthwhile and nice to have. I can't speak to any of the other GPS's it supposedly mounts, but if you have a ForeRunner 301 be assured that it will work.
One person found this helpful
on July 29, 2011
I didn't try the pipe insulation 'mount', so it may work well too, but this mount fits perfectly and has held my Foretrex securely. I don't have it adjusted so tightly I can use the buttons without supporting it on the other side. It may be capable of that, but I don't like stressing the plastic that much. I can also reposition the GPS if it gets bumped or I just want to look at it differently.

No rock pounding for me, so off road your experience may be different. Since the wrist strap can remain on the GPS, off road you can do what I do anyway - just in case. Wrap the strap around the bars for a backup retention system.

The data / charging cradle does need to come off, so if you were planning on charging or powering it using this mount, you'll have to come up with something else. Given the battery life of my Foretrex, for recreational/fitness use it's not needed on the bike anyway.
One person found this helpful
on September 27, 2011
I owned the Garmin 301 I bought this mount for for 5 years before I got the mount. I used it for running for all that time. I recently bought a mountain bike to round out my fitness activities. While shopping for the bike I saw that computers for bikes were popular items. Out of curiosity I looked into them. That's when I came across this mount. Since I already owned a product I loved (Garmin 301) I saw no need to spend more money on a dedicated bike computer. The mount installs easily and the 301 mounts to it with equal ease. The wrist strap stays on the 301 and serves as an extra layer of security in preventing the 301 from coming dislodged from the mount. This is beneficial in that I still use it for running. It is easy to switch back and forth between the two modes. So I got 2 dedicated GPS/fitness computers for the price of one by purchasing this mount. I would recommend it to others.
on May 31, 2006
After having my GPS come loose (barrel pin failure) on more than one occasion I decided to give this a try.

I've now used this on a 2 month MTB tour of Nepal and Tibet. Held my Forerunner 301 securely on hundreds of miles of washboard, technical singletrack, etc. Also withstood countless grabby children and curious bystanders in numerous villages.

You do NOT have to remove the wrist band to use it with the mount. I love the reassuring "snap" when it locks into the mount, and the wrist strap functions as a safety back up - although it never came loose from the mount on me. Convenient release allows you to remove it quickly and easily. My only very minor complaint is you have to remove the GPS from the mount to charge it.

It fit perfectly on my 1" (25.6mm) diameter bars.

Like it so much I just ordered the "oversize" mount for my motorcycle.
7 people found this helpful
on July 26, 2006
My review of this is based on my rating for the Forerunner 201 unit itself. This is just the bracket, and it works fine. However, you don't really need it if you don't mind simply wearing the 201 on your wrist. The one caveat is that it is, of course, easier to see the unit when you are riding if it is mounted on the bike versus strapped to your wrist.

My recommendation is that if you are going to use the 201 for both running and biking, don't buy this bracket because you can simply wear the 201, plus then you don't have to deal with trying to remove the wristband or making a tight squeeze fit into the bike bracket. But, if you are buying the 201 only for biking, this may be useful because then you could simply ditch the wrist strap and keep this mounted to the bike at all times.
8 people found this helpful
on October 30, 2013
This mounting bracket works well, but pay attention to the Garmin GPS you intend to use it for as there are variations for several models. For example, this unit fits the Foretrex 201 but not the 101. Amazon do carry the different types so take care to read the info to find the model you want. Other than that, it does what it is meant to do; providing a good easy way to mount your GPS to a handlebar. Works well.
on June 9, 2008
Before I acquire this mount I used to attach my garmin 301 to my bike using the band of the garmin, but it moved during the ride and it was difficult to maintain it without moving. With the mount the GPS is perfectly installed and it remains in the same position all the time. If you use your garmin for both running and cycling the mount is not very practical, since you have to remove the band to attach the garmin to the mount device to use in your bike and then you have to install the band again when you use it for running. If you use your garmin only for bike the mount is perfect and you will have a perfect view of the screen all the time.
2 people found this helpful
on January 9, 2012
In the past, I use to wrap the wrist strap around the handle bar to try and keep my Garmin Forerunner 101 at an angle that I could view. I didn't know this product was available. Now that I have this, the carrier seats securely and holds my Forerunner perfectly (even over tough bumps). I highly recomment this product.
on September 13, 2005
Other reviewers have spoken of a problem of using the bike mount with the wrist strap. This is not a problem. The mount has a shallow canal in the center that is sufficient for the strap. I use mine mostly with a bike ( > 90%) and I have never removed the strap.

Before I bought this (actually 3 of these, to account for different bikes) I used foam around the handlebars. Once, I must have cinched the strap too tight, because one pin holding the strap pinged out, leaving my new 301 hanging by one pin. For me, I much prefer to have an expensive toy held on to my bike with a solid click into the bracket. I think it's well worth the money.
7 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question