Customer Reviews: Hikari J-1009 100W 130V Clear Halogen 78mm R7s Lamp
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Now

on August 25, 2011
Although this was a simple halogen light bulb, I had a heck of a time finding it! Amazon came through at a great price and a desktop lamp has been resurrected! I suspect these will go the way of the dinosaur, so you may want to get 2 or more for the future!
on March 10, 2012
This bulb said it was clear/frosted and I was not sure this was the right bulb because I wanted a plain clear one, but after it arrived it was the right one. I don't know where the frosted part is because it looked all clear to me. The price was good and the shipping fast.
on July 4, 2013
Updated Review - The power of Amazon and it's vendors should never be overlooked. The review below was my original experience. The vendor (econotone) reached out and offered to send a replacement bulb for the defective item. I withdraw my negative review as they made good on my order and altered my opinion of there services. Great job econotone, You get your five stars based on quality of customer service.

Original Review - Boy am I glad I purchased 2 of these bulbs as the first one died in less than two days. I know how to handle these bulbs so the oils from your fingers do not self-destruct the bulb. In both case I cleaned the bulb and used a soft cloth to insert it into my desk lamp. The first bulb was intermittent from the start as I had to tap the lamp to get it to work. I should have known at that point the bulb was not going to last.
on January 30, 2012
I know there are not too many reviews for these types of items so I wanted to add my experience. Not much to it, product is very reasonably priced and arrived in a safe and well packaged manner. Installation was quick and easy, highly recommended.
on February 11, 2015
This arrived in only three days, great job. I purchased these bulbs as a replacement for when the originals burned out. All bulbs were in good condition, but were NOT as described. The bulbs are supposed to be 100W 130V, but they are 100W 120V. I wanted the 130V because it will hold up better in conditions where you have power surges. That is why I gave it a 4-star. Will update if I have problems after replacing originals.
on December 11, 2010
This review was updated on August 7, 2012 - one cannot summit a second review.
It is very hard to find light fixtures with strong light output. The halogen type gives much more light than a standard bulb or a fluorescent equivalent and it is dimmable using a standard incandescent dimmer, so we don't have to use it at full power. These bulbs last quite long and deliver whiter light, especially in comparison with standard bulbs. My ceiling fixture uses six J type bulbs and it is only the second bulb that burned so far. The previous bulb (in a different socket) I changed in December 2010.

One needs to be careful not to handle such bulbs with bare hands, because any trace of fingerprints (oil and salts) may cause a bulb to burn early. If you did touch it, you may clean it using rubbing alcohol. The packaging should provide appropriate protection against touching. August 2nd, 2012 I ordered five bulbs and they arrived very well packaged: inside a small carton box there was bubble wrap around five individual paper boxes. Inside each box there was a plastic case containing a bulb wrapped in thin stripe of sponge wrapper. See my picture of the package.

This time the bulb delivered was actually made by SATCO Satco J Type 100W 120V Clear Halogen R7S/RSC (78mm) 100T3Q/CL - S3146 and I wasn't sure it would fit, because its label said: 78mm J-type *SHORT* 100W 120V S3146; I did not remember any "short" qualifier previously. It fits fine and is working. The glass is clear. I cannot comment yet about durability of this particular brand (SATCO).

The product description names Japanese Hikari bulb. Hikari web site <[...]> lists its very detailed specifications (including Lumens and Life Hours), which are the same for two Voltage 120 and 130 types:

Lamp Group: Halogen, Lamp Type: J, Voltage (V): 130/120, Wattage (W): 100, Base: R7s, Life Hour: 1500, Color Temp (K): 2800, Lumen (lm): 1300. MOL (mm): 78, L 1 (mm): 80, Diameter (mm): 9, BulbFinish: Clear, Filament: C-8.

SATCO is a US company and it lists all lamp specifications in its catalog <[...]>. The S3146 bulb has even better parameters than the Hikari bulb:
Volts: 120, Average Rated Hours: 2000, Initial Lumen (lm): 1650. Color temperature is not provided, but I did not notice any difference in color among my 6 bulbs.

However, the stamp on the ceramic end states it is made in China: S in a circle, P, CHINA C12.

I still think the distributor should list the correct brand in the description of the product. So I am lowering my rating to four stars.
review image
on April 1, 2014
I've bought these light bulbs three different times.

1. I can't remember the seller, but for my first purchase I received actual Hikari brand light bulbs. They worked well and had a good life span.

2. The next purchase was from Cors Lighting. They shipped me a brand other than Hikari, but I don't recall what it was. They were terrible bulbs. Of the four that I bought, two of them lasted less than two weeks. To the credit of Cors Lighting, they offered to refund my money for the defective bulbs, but it wasn't worth the hassle for the small amount of money.

3. My third purchase was through Econotone and they shipped me Satco brand bulbs. I have only used one of the bulbs for about a month, but so far it has worked fine.

I'm guessing that the poor reviews for this product weren't for actual Hikari brand light bulbs.
on January 9, 2014
I tried finding this bulb at the local Home Depot, but they didn't carry this bulb. My vanity light fixture has had one bulb burnt out for years and I finally took it upon myself to research and buy it on Amazon. So far, so good. The bulb works great and the price was very reasonable!
on December 31, 2013
Not much to say here - a good price for a reasonably common bulb. Nice color of light produced, was a little dim at first, but after a couple of hours of use, it is the same brightness as the bulb it replaced. Shipped very quickly, packed well.
on September 3, 2013
I have tried to contact replacment bulb and have been ignored with no returned instructions or replacment information on damaged item sent to me. customer service by this organization really stinks. I am so surprised by the lack or response on this issue.

See 1 answered question