BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on August 15, 2013
I just received a case of 15 of bulbs from Light-Bulbs PLUS and they do not look like this. The bases are silver not brass. The printing is black, not green. there is no dot-matrix or laser production code such as the one in the reference photo I am uploading. Instead, the bulbs looked hacked together in some back alley. Green gunk and mysterious damage and holes in the lamp bases. Some of the threads were so poorly made that they would not screw into the lamp socket. Even the shipping box had strange surgery on it, with original labels hacked out in three places with clear packing tape covering the exposed corrugations. The weirdest thing I've seen, really! See my photo tour. Worse yet, this vendor wants to argue about it instead of issuing a refund. I think we know how that will be resolved.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Great narrow beam bulb for inside (range hoods, under counter lights) or outside for security or to highlight certain areas of the yard. These Sylvania 14502 50-Watt PAR 20 Narrow Flood Light bulbs have a 30 degree beam spread as opposed to the 10 degree bulbs I have normally used. I like this amount of expanded light bulb ambience better. I will track the life span of these bulbs and report back. Highly Recommended! Five BRIGHT Stars! (Sylvania PAR20, Medium base, Length: 3.25", Diameter: 2.5", 50 Watt, 120 Volt, 30 Degree Beam Spread Average Life Hours: 2500, Indoor/Outdoor Use)
on March 13, 2015
I just received my order of two boxes of 15 bulbs each. I already have 15 spare Phillips 25° 50W PAR20 Halogen flood lights for the 7 recessed cans in my kitchen, which are rated for 3000 hours, and seem to last about a year with my usage. These Sylvania bulbs are rated for 2500 hours, but with 20 more lumens and 5° more beam spread, which can only give a little more even lighting. I can't attest to their durability, as I just got them. The two 6 count boxes of Philips bulbs I got last year at The Home Depot came out to about $4 a bulb, if I remember correctly, about $3 a bulb a couple years before, and for the 15 Sylvania bulbs it's $5 a bulb--a bargain compared to what prices are today for other bulbs. The Home Depot now only carries in halogen, and Phillips only makes, the 39W replacement bulbs, which put out 10% less light, cost $8 a bulb and last only about 35% as long as their discontinued 50W bulbs, making the new "replacement" ones, in effect, almost six times as expensive as were the previous ones last year.

I was a bit worried about what I would get after reading some of the reviews, but I'm happy to report that the bulbs I got are as described and pictured, all individually packed in thin printed cardboard boxes in the larger 15 count corrugated box, and they have the Sylvania Capsylite USA label on the side of the bulb. I tried one in a receptacle and it put out what seemed to be the same color light as the Phillips. The bowl/reflector part of the bulb is more conical and less rounded than the Phillips, perhaps giving it it's slightly wider spread beam, but the main practical physical difference is that it's about 1/4 inch shorter than the Phillips, but still works fine in the cans--it may actually be better because the bulb, being a little more recessed, is therefore less exposed, and causes less glare from a given angle.

I suppose eventually LED bulbs will replace these, and save more energy and be more economical per bulb because of long lifespan, but I don't know if I will like the light spectrum of current LED bulbs, and there have been reports of problems with some dimmers, and buzzing, flickering, and slow response time for some bulbs, so to be sure that I have a good supply for at least a few more years, until, it is hoped, LEDs will be better perfected, I just ordered two more 15 count boxes of these Sylvania bulbs from the same seller, Avocado, Int., fulfilled by Amazon, even though they only have 11 ratings (100 % satisfaction), because I know what I will get.
on November 21, 2016
Ordered one bulb and it didn't work. Doesn't even merit one star given the bother to return ship the thing but that's the lowest score possible. Looking at the reviews it's clear this isn't an isolated problem. Depending on the number of bulbs someone buys the failure rate may be lower but in this case it was 100%. Almost seems there was a defective lot and they are being dumped. If someone doesn't take the time to ship it back it's an absolute success for Sylvania and the distributor. Maybe other people are more tolerant of being taken but the review scores seem too high given the number of bulbs that reportedly didn't work.
on October 29, 2016
On April 15, 2016, I purchased two Sylvania 14502 halogen bulbs for installation in our new Broan stainless steel vent hood as part of an extensive kitchen remodel which was to begin a few weeks later. Obviously, the vent hood and accessories remained in the box until a majority of the other work had been completed. Once the vent hood was wired up and I screwed in the light bulbs, I turned the breaker back on and walked back into the kitchen to admire my handy work. The Broan looked and performed great. But, only one of the two bulbs was working. So, 5 months and $21,000 later, the only glitch in the entire project was this $4.37 Sylvania bulb. Return it? Shucks, no. The vendor, BargainBulbs' return window closed on May 21, 2016. The take-away from this experience: 1) Never again will I buy from BargainBulbs and 2) In the future, if I buy Sylvania, it will be from a local store where common sense trumps some ironclad, no flexibility return policy.
on February 10, 2016
The electrical contact point was completed corroded. Tried plugging it into two different light outlets and it didn't work. The lightbulb was completely shot. this is the second time this has happened with this bulb and seller.
review image
on September 14, 2013
hello,
we use these 50watt par20 bulbs in our kitchen. the 30 degree spread of lights is just perfect and cast plenty of light on the counter surfaces. they are very popular and the local stores are usually out or on back order. since these fit in our small ceiling cans, we will continue to order them from amazon. the packaging was just outstanding as each bulb already comes in its sturdy container, but amazon wrapped a sheet of bubble wrapping to give it extra protection. great product and excellent service.
on January 9, 2016
Nice when they work... One of my hood lights burnt out so I needed a replacement and wanted a spare in case the second went out soon too. I bought two single bulbs instead of the two pack in case there was a problem with either one (given the reviews suggested a 50/50 rate of getting a working bulb). Sure enough one worked, one was a dud on arrival. Sent the broken one back for a refund and will try the hardware store for another if the other bulb does go out. Not sure about how long these might last. The ones I had lasted about three years, and were GE so we will see if Sylvania can do any better/longer.
on December 25, 2014
Hard to find 50 watt Par20 bulbs worked perfectly for my new track lights. Provided a noticeable amount of brightness over the 40 watt bulbs. Just replaced them with LED 9 watt bulbs that provide more light than these bulbs at a fraction of the power. 150 watts for three bulbs versus 27 watts with the LED's at full power. Also replaced four 75watt kitchen Par30 bulbs using 200 watts compared to 60 watts for the LED's. Substantial savings over just one year as they are on most of the time. Only downside is that most ordinary dimmers that work with incandescent or halogen bulbs won't work well with LED's as they need a heavier load that the LED's require causing flickering and poor dimming. Dimmers designed for LED's will work much better and work as advertised.
on June 14, 2017
Not sure if this is product or seller issue, but I bought 6 bulbs and only 4 of them worked. Cheez.