Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 23, 2013
I bought this scanner to scan hundreds of old newspapers. I have a duel booting iMac computer. Everything works great in both Mac OS and Windows, except for the included OCR software. It does not work on the Mac computer. Not a big deal for me because I can scan in Windows, but something to think about if you want to use this scanner on a Mac. I read on some Mac support forums, that this is a known issue and the only solution is to upgrade the OCR software (which cost hundreds of dollars). If you use a Windows PC, no worries. Other than this issue, it's a fine scanner and the best large-format scanner in is price range.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 3, 2006
Great machine. We needed the higher resolution and the larger format for scanning radiographs
on January 23, 2011
After spending so much on this scanner, I expected it to come with professional-quality software, but it didn't -- at least not for the Mac. Epson Scan is less capable than the software that came with the Microtek scanner I'm replacing, which cost half as much.

Worse yet, color management is broken under Snow Leopard. This is acknowledged on the Epson Web site, and they say they're looking for a solution, but that's a year and a half after Snow Leopard was released. So, what you see on the screen is very different from what you get in the scan, even to a less experienced eye like mine.

Not only that, but the software still requires Rosetta, meaning it hasn't even been updated for the Intel Mac. In fact, unbelievably, rotating the preview window sends the bottom of it behind the Dock, so you can't read the stats at the bottom or resize the window. That means this software has not even been fully updated for OS X! Basically, you're getting an OS 9 app that's being minimally updated to keep it running.

The solution to this is to use SilverFast AI. That software comes with the Photo model of this scanner, which costs several hundred dollars more -- or you can buy the software separately from LaserSoft Imaging, which is what I'm having to do, again for a few hundred dollars more. Epson really should not be selling this Graphic Arts model at all.

Update -- Even with SilverFast AI and a brand new driver update, this scanner does not play well with the Mac on Snow Leopard. I almost always have to restart my Mac just to get SilverFast to find the scanner. I also have to restart sometimes when the scanner starts producing errors during a scan. And when the scanner's already on, sometimes the Mac doesn't start up properly! When that happens, the system is super slow and unresponsive, so that I have to shut off the scanner and restart the Mac again! Also, installing the driver apparently screwed up the permissions on my kernel extensions, which I discovered only accidentally through an alert by TinkerTool System. (DiskUtility doesn't fix these particular permissions, but TinkerTool System does.)

On top of that, SilverFast seems to be almost as outdated as Epson Scan. I have eight virtual cores on my Mac, and when processing the scanned image, SilverFast uses just one!

Update 2 -- It turned out I could get rid of the software errors described above by connecting with USB instead of Firewire. Maybe my adapting from Firewire 800 on the Mac to Firewire 400 on the scanner had something to do with it, or maybe my using a long Firewire cable, but neither was a problem with my old Microtek. In any case, I suggest you avoid using Firewire on this machine, at least with a current Mac. Luckily, using USB with SilverFast doesn't seem to slow things down noticeably -- though for some reason, SilverFast already scans considerably more slowly than Epson Scan.
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2011
I've used a 1640XL for years. It is having problems and I decided to upgrade to the 10000XL. I found 2 main problems with this scanner.

The first has to do with the quality of the scan. The 10000XL introduces some darkening that is apparent in the white areas of the scanned image. I don't know how to say this better. It looks like there is a dirty film on the glass, but there isn't.

The second has to do with the obstacles the engineers put on top of the scanner to make scanning oversized images harder to scan in multiple sections. There is a post sticking up a few inches in the rear. There is also a raised edge on the right and rear sides of the glass.

When I got the first scanner in, I thought I simply had a defective item - it happens. The second had the identical problem and I spent quite some time with the folks at Epson on the phone going over it.

I do fine art reproduction, so this is a problem for me. If I were scanning office documents, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but then I wouldn't have spent this much for a scanner.

If I explained this poorly, that does not mean there is not a problem. I have an all Epson shop, so this is very upsetting. I don't have another replacement for my 1640XL.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 6, 2008
This scanner is wonderful. The image quality is excellent. I had friends wondering if I should spend so much on a scanner, then when they saw the images of plants I made, they said "How does it make that look so much better than life?"!

Be careful when scanning non-paper items such as plants or ceramics, the glass can be scratched (on this or any scanner). I buy clear acetate or plexiglass to put on top of the glass in such cases.

As a botanical illustrator, I find this scanner to be a great timesaver. I can scan and enlarge the parts of a plant I need to illustrate, seeing detail much better than through a microscope.
on October 27, 2008
This scanner is wonderful! I work for my local historical society and this is the scanner that we use to do all of our digital preservation. We use it to scan large format negatives and it works like a dream.
on November 25, 2008
This is a awesome scanner. We are using it in our photo lab as a replacement to an old agfa duoscan. WOW...I love that several photos can be placed on the bed and scanned in two clicks!! Great color & well worth every penny!!
on February 20, 2012
I purchased this for scrapbooking 12X12 pages but it is good for large magazine images & for working on several historical photos at the same time. I am in collections of the Eastside Heritage Center in Bellevue, WA. It cuts time and has extra bells and whistles for merging photos to catalog thumbnails and publishing photos.
on August 13, 2010
On delivery, the scanner simply didn't work. The transportation lock is a (cheap) piece of plastic that was not connected to anything inside the scanner, so turning on the power only resulted in a grinding noise and flashing error lights.

Customer support from Epson is terrible; the only option I was given was to take the faulty product to a service center nearly an hour away, which Epson could not even give me the name of. I pressed instead for a factory replacement, and was repeatedly told that because I bought from a third party, having the scanner repaired was my responsibility, whether the service center was accessible or not. I wasted a week now with this large piece of plastic in my studio, trying to schedule time out of my work week to attend to Epson's shoddy workmanship and poor engineering. I would not recommend this product to an enemy.

That having been said, Amazon.com's customer service has been exemplary, and when I was unable to get Epson to meet me halfway, I've been able to follow up with Amazon in securing a replacement. I'm holding out hope that it works, but regardless will be ill at ease having to entrust it with my professional reputation and productivity.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.