Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 271 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 324 reviews
on October 2, 2012
First off I'd like to start off this review by saying that like a lot of people have mentioned, the material is super thin. If you take a single layer up to the light you can see the specks of light through it. The collar portion seems to be a double layer though, and the vest itself is decently warm AS A LAYER. By itself, wind will cut right through the thin material and leave you cold. The vest does work well as a thin, insulating layer under a soft shell or windbreaker. The double thickness collar is nice because when you zip up the vest all the way it does keep your neck warm. I would have preferred if the entire vest was the same thickness as the collar though.

For the Amazon price, it's not terrible. I'd probably pay a little more and get a Polartec fleece material vest though. Definitely not worth the $40 sticker price that was on the label. But if you plan to just use this vest as an internal layer then it's decent for the $25 price tag.
on November 6, 2012
First off - I am very happy with this purchase as it is exactly what I expected. And for the price, it's hard to complain.

The vest fits very nicely, i got the green large. I'm a male 5'11" and about 190 lbs. It fits me very nicely. Sometimes these vests bunch up around the gut looking dumpy but not this one.

I have washed it a few times and it seems to be holding its colour, shape and stretch. It blocks the wind nicely and is perfect for cool autumn weather/early winter when it's not too brutal but a t-shirt just doesn't cut it.
The collar is one it's best features - it folds down nicely to keep your neck warm or you can turn it up to avoid the wind. The material is very soft and feels great on your skin.

As for complaints, I find that i really miss having a breast pocket and I wish the pocket zippers went up to open as opposed to down.

Since neither of these features were advertised, obviously i can't complain about their absence - i just prefer them and will be looking for both on my next vest purchase.

One thing that I will knock off a star for is the depth of the pockets. They are quite shallow causing things to fall out easily - especially if you are sitting. If you are going to make a jacket with shallow pockets i think the pocket zips should go the other way... Just make sure you remember to close the zips! you can fit your entire hand in if you are trying to stay warm, but there is almost no downward angle to make a good pocket for holding your keys, phone or wallet.

While we're on the topic of zippers i will say that the quality of the zips on this jacket is top-notch. it will open or close from almost any angle and i would be very surprised if they stopped working.

At $20 it's hard to imagine a better purchase!
on December 18, 2013
...and by that I mean it makes me look dangerous.

On a serious note I bought this to be a "uniform" piece for a non-profit I am president of. I got one for my wife too. We sewed on patches to the chest and it looks great. Nice and simple. It is warm, it fits true to size with some room for layering, has 2 pockets, zipper, good collar. It washes well and is easy to care for.

My daily life is in the city, I spend time in the outdoors either car camping, fishing, bushcrafting, mushroom picking, etc. This vest performs well in all but I don't wear it for bushcrafting. It's a personal preference as I like wool for that as I am always close to a fire when out in the winters of Oregon.

For the price (I paid around $30) a good piece of utility clothing.

Edit 12/22/14
Pocket zipper jammed up for no reason. It was impossible to unjam it and ended up ripping vest in the process. My iPhone was in the pocket so had a bit of a "need" to get the zipper open.

Vest lasted about a year. You get what you pay for.
on February 21, 2017
There is a defect in the manufacturing of the product. I purchased an extra large and while it was too big it also had a left shoulder that was bigger than the right shoulder. Looked silly. I returned it for a size large and it has the same defect in the shoulder. Left shoulder is 1/4 inch longer than the right shoulder. It looks very bad and since I had it with two vests than I believe it is a defective pattern in all the units.
on November 6, 2012
I bought this vest from Amazon for less than 30$. At that price, it isn't a steal, but it's also not like you're wasting your money. The Cathedral Peak vest feels highly synthetic, but is well seamed and finished. The fit, like other reviewers have pointed out, is tight (I'm skinny, but it's barely loose around my body, and I'm talking about size M). For me, that's a plus, as I don't like the "garbage bag poncho" look, but you might like it that way. In terms of insulation, the plastic fabric shows its worth (could make you sweat a lot in a humid environment). Seems like a good choice for a desert/mountain environment, which is where I live.
I've docked two full stars because of a simple fact: the pockets. They're horrible. The zippers open UPWARDS, when most technical clothing goes the other way around (and they chafe quite a bit). Worse, the pocket liner is a solid polyester fabric, instead of light mesh or microsuede like in better products, even from Columbia. I don't know about you, but I care about vest pockets very much, and these were a total disappointment. These people should know better.
In short: it's a warm, fitted, cheap, plastic vest with terrible pockets. Still, it serves its role.
on March 16, 2013
Pros: lightweight, can be worn inside or out,
fits well, comfortable, washes well
reasonable price
a bit longer than most vests

Cons: sizes are way too small, had to order a man's for a woman
not enough bright color selection

Got this for my mom. She prefers vests (and upperwear) like this one, that are a bit longer (for comfort). She uses it for rollerblading and gardening (obviously lots of bending), but it would probably also be good for biking or other sitting activities, especially in early spring or late fall.

Sizing is annoyingly small. Fortunately she already had one (purchased in-store from REI), or we would have gotten the wrong size. She is an average female, yet we had to get a men's medium for her.

Other than that I highly recommend it for durability and comfort. Worn as a layer over a lightweight shirt makes it a perfect combo for inside or outside in spring or fall.
on January 2, 2017
I purchased this vest for my husband for Christmas and he loved it! It was soft, right out of the package and it fit him like a glove! Some may say the vest is 'slim fit' because it's not 'boxy', it is cut closer to the body than the other vests he has, but not too close, it's comfortable. He says it's warm, but not too warm, good for layering. A great purchase, I would do it again!!
on January 30, 2012
I've had this vest for about a month now & I really do enjoy it.

I've had similar vests in the past, but I needed something newer to wear around the office and under my winter coat when a sweater or hoody just doesn't work.

The vest is very soft & doesn't get caught on much. I bought the dark grey hoping that it would "hide" my dogs hair unlike the black vest. And it does. I have a beagle, and I can barely notice when (a few/decent amount) of his white & black hairs get on it. Some fleece seems to attract dog hair & never let go - this does NOT.

The only negative I have about this vest, as others noted, is that there isn't a pull string around the waist. This hasn't really bothered me, but I would like to tighten it up just a little bit.

I work outdoors so this is perfect for helping me layer up but allowing me something to wear that won't bulk up & slow down my arm movement which happens if you wear too many sweaters or hoody's.

I plan on buying another in a few months so I don't wear this one out too much. Awesome price too. I checked a couple of stores online and no one had the same price as Amazon.
on November 8, 2012
This vest is very lightweight and extremely comfortable to wear. Most of the time I wear it with short sleeved shirts. When zipped, it's just right for those 45-50 degree days (as long as you're not out in the chill for really long periods - but fine for car-to-store, or short walks). It's also great around the house when you want to drop the thermostat a few degrees to save a little on heating costs. My only disappointment is the main zipper. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it started, and it often sticks mid-zip (as if there was grit or something in it). It always ends up working, but not always smoothly. I'd definitely recommend the vest, and I suspect my zipper issue is not a design flaw, but rather a production glitch, which would not likely affect other buyers.
on May 13, 2013
I rarely give bad reviews, but this is just atrocious. The material is thin. The zippers go the wrong direction on the pockets. I thought the lack of a drawstring around the bottom would be easy to ignore, but they shaped this thing so poorly that a drawstring is needed just to overcome the poor fit. I have always associated Columbia with quality. This has put a serious dent in that association. My wife was on the phone when I tried it on for the first time and with a single glance she just shook her head. Wasn't even close. Would be zero stars if I had the option. Caveat emptor!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question