Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ATEN 2-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch with Cables CS1762 (Silver)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on November 7, 2007
I've been using the CS-1762 for several weeks now. It's been working flawlessly, and I switch between computers a lot. I've used KVMs for years, but this is the first DVI KVM for me.

First impressions: The unit is well built. It is solid, the buttons work, and this is the first time I've ever had all the cabling come with the unit.

Read the manual: If you just try to plug it in, and start pressing buttons, you are likely to get confused. The unit can send the keyboard to one computer while keeping the display on another computer. I'm not sure why that might be useful. I'm easily confused, so I don't do that. The bottom buttons work just like the good old-fashioned kvm switches. There is also a keyboard shortcut to switch between machines (ScrLk, ScrLk, Enter). That is what I use almost all the time.

A quick read through the user manual will tell you this and everything else you need to know to use the box.

To use this box, the keyboard and mouse must both be connected through USB. It comes with a ps-2 to USB adaptor, so you don't even have to get a new keyboard or mouse. It will also switch other USB items, but I have found that I want USB items to stay with their own computers.

What is completely different between this KVM and every other KVM I have ever used is that the sceen is big and sharp. I run my monitor at 1600x1200 DVI, and (obviously, since it is digital) there is no blurring or ghosting. That is a new experience for me.

I've also found that when booting up a machine, you need to switch the KVM to that machine so that it correctly recognizes the monitor resolution. If you forget, then you have to readjust the resolution after boot-up is complete.

I can't say much about reliability at this point. I've owned the unit for a month, and it has always worked flawlessly.
on August 27, 2008
I have tried a few competing KVMs like the Belkin Switch2 models that sound great until you get them home and realize they do not handle "multifunction" USB devices. Examples of multifunction USB devices are a mouse with a scroll wheel, or a keyboard with volume up/down buttons...basically what has shipped with every computer for the last 3-4 years.

Other KVMs that reportedly support multi-function USB devices have a maximum resolution of 1600x1200 which means wide screen LCDs that run at 1900x1200 are not supported at full resolution. These days 1900x1200 is a fairly usual resolution (my 15" laptop runs at 1900x1200).

This KVM handles the high resolutions and the multifunction USB devices. It even has a shared USB hub that let you computers share other devices like printers and scanners. Best of all, it actually works.

The first thing you notice when you unpack this thing is it is heavy for such a tiny thing. The case is made of metal and feels very sturdy.

I was originally put off by it's high price. It appears to be 3-4x the price of competing 2 port KVMs, but you quickly find out the others are cheaper because they cut out essential features.

As mentioned in another review idea that the video, audio and keyboard/mouse can switch separately seemed strange. Now I appreciate it though because I can play music on one computer through my speakers while I am controlling the other computer. An underrated useful feature! The hardware buttons are a little stiff, but I use the keyboard shortcuts: press 3 buttons on your keyboard and it will switch between the ports.
on November 14, 2009
This switch was exactly what I needed. I have a Linux machine as my main system, but I wanted to play with windows 7. I added the switch and set up win7 on another machine with my second monitor and it worked flawlessly. I was completely amazed. I highly recommend this switch to anyone who may be trying something like this. It recognizes all of my hot keys and has all of the cables needed to get started. excellent product!
on June 18, 2007
If it had occurred to me that Amazon carried this unit, I would not have purchased it because of the warning about it not supporting 1600x1200 on displays larger than 19 inches. I have not seen that mentioned in other reviews. I have a 20 inche Samsung 204t that displays 1600x1200 just fine so it may no longer be accurate, but I find the unit has some other issues:

When I boot a computer when it doesn't have the KVM focus it always comes up with a maximum resolution of 1024x768. Aten says this is a problem but I have not yet attempted to get it fixed.

The other problem is the odd placement of the USB ports. There are four in all, two are for the mouse and keyboard and two are for a switchable USB 1.1 compiant hub. This is a good idea as one can never have too many USB ports, but they are not USB 2.0 which would have made them more valuable. The odd thing about them is the design that placed the keyboard and mouse plugs are on the front of the unit while the USB hub ports are on the back where they are hard to access!

Other than these issues the quality of the display image at 1600x1200 is fantastic. Lower resolutions are no better than VGA but at high resolution this thing really shines. Other nice features include the ability to switch the mouse/keyboard, USB hub and audio jacks independently of one another. The doc is good and the quality of the construction is first rate. I'm hoping they can correct the difficencies I mentioned above with a firmware update.
on August 31, 2007
The box looks and feels reasonable well-built and it comes with two thick cables to get everything connected. Once it's all connected, the fun begins. There are two switches on the front, no make that four switches: two pairs of switches. The top switch of each pair is labeled auto-scan and it's not really clear what they're for. The bottom switch of each pair is where the lights are and where the action is. When the unit is powered up, the bottom switch of the left pair is lit up, both green and amber. Press the other bottom switch, and it now lights amber and the monitor switches to the other computer, but the keyboard and mouse are stuck on the first computer! What? Does this make any sense? Apparently, the device actually is designed by default de-associate the K and M from the V. So is it really a KVM switch or just a V switch? You can make it all sync--in sync--by pressing the switch and holding it down hard for at least three seconds. And you didn't misread "hard." You can't simply touch the switch. You need to brace the device with your hand because the switches require significantly more force to push in than the weight of the unit. Unfortunately, at present, there aren't too many DVI KVMs with USB that support the 1920 x 1200 widescreen resolution.
on December 24, 2011
The expensive ones for server rooms are great, but many of these small ones for home use are flakey. This one works fine switching between Mac and PC with different screen resolutions, even though one likes to show traditional 4:3 screen and the other produces a 'wide screen' format. It's nice that some USB ports are always working and others switch.