Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 7,103 reviews(5 star). See all 10,235 reviews
EDITED 2014 - This is a review of the original 3 blade version of this slicer which I far prefer to the newer four blade model. If you are deciding between the two I think there is no comparison. While the newer version looks slicker and is more self contained, it just doesn't handle the veggies near as well as this one does. I've reviewed the other machine if you want to have a look and see my issues with it. But this 3 blade version is phenomenal and a staple in my kitchen. Easily one of the best gadgets ever made in my opinion. Read on.....

I had to interrupt my cooking to write this review. Believe me, I am not easily moved to write product reviews. This would be my second here on amazon (since the writing of this review three years ago I have added many more product reviews here on amazon).
But, this little turning slicer is amazing. Simply amazing. It makes quick work of everything I throw at it and to date that would include:
radishes
carrots
cucumbers
onions (they work a little differently from the other vegetables)
kohlrabi (makes a fabulous, refreshing salad)
zucchini (I can never remember how many "Ns" are in that vegetable)
apples and,
sweet potatoes
I may even have done a celeriac but I can't recall for sure.
This device never balks.

And it is a pleasure to clean.

I had to give up pasta a few months back and I found myself missing the act of twirling long strands of food on a fork. It was then that I searched for a spiral slicer, not sure if one existed that could meet my fork twirling needs. I bought this little gem because I figured it was inexpensive enough that if I didn't like it all that much, it wouldn't be too much of a hardship.
Honestly, for what this does I would easily pay twice or three times the price.
As I write this I am in the middle of spiralling cucumbers for the old family cucumber salad recipe. Many of the strands that come out of this thing get close to 2 feet long. Food prep doesn't get much more fun than that. The First four (large) cucumbers took all of 4 minutes to break down into perfect, long, spirally strands. I have four more to go when I finish this review.

Okay, some of the reviewers here have complained that you lose about 3/8ths from the center of anything you are spiraling, and this is indeed true. In the case of cucumbers, that means that the device is essentially getting rid of those pesky seeds for you but in the case of a carrot, you lose a bit of viable vegetable. Do I mind this? NO, who cares. Use that center 3/8ths carrot piece for something else, or snack on it while you shred the rest of your veggies. Its not as if the center 3/8ths isn't usable, it just isn't made into long spirally strands. So, it wouldn't make sense to try to shred baby carrots or asparagus because they aren't much larger than 3/8ths of an inch so there wouldn't be much to spiral.

I can't speak to the durability of this slicer because, alas, I've only owned it for two months as of this writing. So far so good however and it does seem durable. It is well designed. The extra blades snap into a holder in the middle of the slicer so you aren't likely to lose them nor are you likely to cut yourself on them inadvertantly. Though lightweight, the whole unit feels fairly sturdy and I can't imagine needing to replace it for a long long time. The whole thing suctions onto your work surface which makes it very manageable. I've started using it in preparations where hitherto I've used a mandolin slicer. This spiral slicer doesn't make it easy to cut off fingertips the way you can with a mandolin.

On a final note before I get back to the cucumber salad.... I do not like kitchen devices that make a job longer than it needs to be and that includes gadgets that take forever to clean or have sharp edges to wash and be careful of. You could hurt yourself with this thing but honestly you would have to try pretty hard to do that. it doesn't want to hurt you and the company seem to have thought of everything so that it would only really injure someone determined to draw blood. it is not a child's toy however and so it requires the same respect you would give any other item with sharp blades.

There is one minor quibble I have with the device and hope that the company reads this and deals with it in a future incarnation of the product... when the spirals come out it is a little bit difficult to manage where they will end up. It would be nice if they design a catch basin type thing for the strands as they fall from the blades. This is a minor quibble because you really can catch all the strands if you're careful but I just don't want to have to be careful all the time.

Okay, that's it, back to my cucumber salad.

EDITED July 2013 -- THOUGHTS AFTER 3 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP:

I still absolutely love this thing. It continues to work flawlessly and fairly effortlessly, breaking down all kinds of vegetables. Admittedly my favorites are cucumbers and zucchini but I have spiralized many others as noted above. In all this time it hasn't stained (as many of these gadgets do) and the blades don't seem to have lost any of their effectiveness. I admit that cleaning it, while still relatively easy, is not child's play. Still, it doesn't take long.

I used to put my zucchini noodles in a vegetable basket on the grill with some spiralized onions and coated with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and they were a crowd pleaser every time. But it has been brutally hot and humid here so I thought I would go for something a little more refreshing. I served the noodles raw (using the smallest blade) and coated them with a homemade "guacamole" sauce. This was another crowd pleaser and rivals the cucumber salad.

3 years later and I can't sing the praises of this thing highly enough. I just really don't understand the naysayers.... particularly the folks who complain about the wasted vegetable "core" Get creative and find something to do with it. Challenge yourself!

Most of all I am impressed by how well this thing has held up.

UPDATE AUGUST 2013....

There seems to be much debate about whether this little unit suctions effectively to the work surface. For me, it does. I have a polished granite countertop. I am going to guess that this suctions much less well (if at all) to some lightly textured formicas. That may well be where the debate stems from.

RECIPES....

UPDATE:
A BLOG AT LAST! I am just starting to blog my recipes. The first four have been posted but am hoping to get many more up and running.....
okay. here's the blog address spelled out.... my website is s n o o t y d o g - dot - c o m. There is a link at the top of the page for my blog. Let me know if you find it useful
5150+ comments| 5,673 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2011
I wanted to make my own curly fries. This vegetable slicer does that! I used the 1/4" blade and found that you must use the pressure handle on the unit to produce the best cuts. You do end up with a vegetable core which some people have complained on other reviews that it ends up being waste, but that really was not a big deal to me. I tried cutting up and frying the cores, but I didn't like them so now I just throw the cores away. It's very little waste anyway. I did find that smaller potatoes produced tighter spirals, but the smaller size also produced a lot "waste" where there were just short curved shaves of potato. Larger potatoes produced fewer of the tight spirals and much more of the swooping long spirals, but they also produced less "waste". Using a combination of large and small potatoes produced a good mix of curly fries for me. I fried them in the deep fryer, shook some sea salt on them, and they were YUMMY!

Based on some other reviews, I tried making "zucchini spaghetti", using the 1/8" blade. I found a recipe online at steamykitchen.com where you basically BRIEFLY stir-fry the zucchini noodles and add sauce. The spiral slicer produces very long zucchini spaghetti "noodles" and I did find them to be somewhat difficult to bite off while eating (so just cut them short before cooking) but it really did produce a delicious, low-cal meal!

The extra blades store within the unit, and it's very easy to change them out. Just rinse to clean, and do it sooner rather than later to minimize staining of the white plastic. I paid $29.99 for this slicer and I am very happy with it!
1313 comments| 1,143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2011
Spirooli, Oh Spirooli. You are the best kitchen gadget (pertaining to hard cell-walled vegetables) of all time. No joke.

Here are some tips to blatantly counteract the previous less than favorable reviews and complaints about your stellar awesomeness:

1-"Waaaa- It stains too easily" Um...yeah...if you make delicious curly sweet potato fries and go watch CMT for the rest of the afternoon of course the natural dyes are going to stain the device. It's plastic for goodness sake. Clean the tines with a toothbrush and some baking soda within a reasonable timeframe and you will be relatively stain free & much more sanitary.

2-"Booo-The suction cups on the feet dont work" Stop lying-they totally do. My question to you sherlock, do you have the totally rad spirooli on a non-porous surface? Go ahead and check it out. Do ya? I bet you dont! Because my little guy sticks to my counter like no one's business.

3-"Bleeehhh-Its hard to clean" Whoa. Im guessing that you dont have knives in your house either--for they must also be hard to clean. Respect the blades, and no one gets hurt. (...That's What Edward Scissorhands Said) Use the toothbrush or grab your vegetable cleaning brush. Ew-you dont have a vegetable cleaning brush? how did you scrub yr potato?

4-"Weeeeeeep- Its cheap plastic" Dude- if this thing were made of metal, it would be at least $200. Do you have that available in yr disposable income for the luxury of making vegetable spaghetti? Neither do I. We should be thankful the thing isn't made of cardboard for the low low price of 3 Hamiltons. Disclaimer: I would gladly pay two bills for an adamantium spirooli.

5-"OMG! there is a 3/4" core that I HAVE to waste?!?" Just because there is a byproduct of the mounds and mounds of luscious ribbons doesnt mean that you absolutely have to automatically toss it into the compost heap. Instead, I think you should: use the cores for dipping in delicious dip or freeze them to make a yummy vegetable stock in the near future or slice them with a vegetable peeler and then cut them into similar(be it smaller)ribbons or cut them into chips and play poker or give them to the local wildlife. The possibilities are endless. Also, some people have barred carrots because of the 'waste'. My suggestion is to go to your local quality proprietor of carrots and pick up a mama-jama sized carrots. Just today, I was in Whole Foods and I saw carrots the size of a cucumbers.

One last thing- do yourself a favor and get a dehydrator to go with this. You will be grateful you did.

*If you liked this review, be sure to check out all my other reviews on Amazon. I assure you, most are fairly entertaining.*
5150+ comments| 5,969 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2016
I am a raw vegan and shredding zucchini has been such a pain. It eats up all my time and i often cut my fingers. However, with this, i can be done and sitting down to eat a yummy dinner in less than 20 minutes, including wash time.
I was surprised by how smooth and easy to operate it was.
I was scared that i would constantly have to realign the zucchini, but u never have to.
I was most surprised by the suction cups. I didn't think they would do much but wow they work perfectly. Don't hold down on the spiralizer with the hand that is not turning the crank. You do not need to. The suction cups hold it in place flawlessly. To release the suction cups, just kinda lift up a little corner of the cup and it will come off easy peasy. If you try and just pull, you won't be able to get it off very easily and risk damaging your spiralizer.
on May 28, 2016
FANTASTIC! The only negative is the directions. HINT: when placing vegetables in chamber, don't press them against the end with the teeth. Rather place the center of veggies onto the opposite end against the small central nub. That nub is what centers the zucchini or other food to make long curls. Press the teeth up against the food after centering onto nub. No where in the directions does it say this. I kept pressing it into the teeth to hold it. Wrong. I had a mess. Now you know. I found out by a you tube video. It's amazing now and I use it several times a week. GREAT KITCHEN GADGET.
on January 11, 2015
This product is fantastic. Comes 99% put together and you can start using within minutes. I truly feel like this product is fool proof. Put the raw vegetable or fruit on the pronged circle, push until the other end is against the silver metal piece, and begin spinning. Just make sure the feet are suctioned to the counter so it doesn't move. There is very little waste and such easy clean up! I really can't say enough positive things.
review image review image
on March 21, 2015
I've only had this thing for four days, and I'm already in love. Reason one: It's easy and fun! Sounds dorky, but true. Reason two: You'd be surprised how delicious these dishes can be. No, they don't taste exactly like pasta, but they have their own delightful flavor. Reason three: I'm not just cutting down on processed food and gluten; I'm replacing them with veggies! It's a win-win. I can't wait to try every recipe under the sun. I've already tried zucchini, sweet potato and broccoli (you can make a delightfully subtle-tasting noodle with broccoli stalks! No more tossing that giant thing in the trash. It's like free noodles).

Also, I'd strongly recommend this 4-Blade Pro instead of the 3-Blade Basic. I've used them both, and the 4-Blade is not only more solidly built and less cheap feeling, but all the components tuck away neatly for storage and take up less space than the 3-Blade. In my opinion, it's worth it.

If you're trying to avoid grains, get one. If you're trying to eat more veggies, get one. If you're trying to do both, get two.
on May 10, 2014
First of all, this is the best Spiralizer on the market. Don't be fooled by the Clear knockoff or other similar products. It works beautifully, and it is extremely easy to slip the blades in and out of the cool storage space and place in the cutting position, click into place and it's ready for use. To clean the blades, place under running water and use a brush to remove any particles of food that might be stuck in the blade, then wash by hand with dish soap and water, being careful to not cut yourself.

I made the most delicious spaghetti for my "Wheat Belly" diet using one or two zucchinis and a yellow squash and a small onion. Sauté in a bit of olive oil and season to your liking. You should cook to al dente stage. My husband and I will be having lots of new-for-us veggies using this incredible machine. Be sure to slip a plate under the left edge of the machine to collect your veggie slices or veggie spaghetti pieces.

It has a place of honor on my kitchen island next to my cutting board. I do not understand how anyone could give this machine anything less than a five star. It is not at all difficult to use or to clean. Ignore the posts that state that it hard to use and hard to clean and difficult to remove the blades. They click in and out of place; remember this and you won't have a problem.

Good luck with your Spiralizer. You will love it!!! I must add that since I've eliminated wheat from my diet, I now feel so much better. Wheat in all forms is bad. I highly recommend the "Wheat Belly book and cook book by Dr. William Davis. It will change your life. Cooking this way is my new hobby! My husband is so happy!!!!!
on May 28, 2015
--Edited May 31, after additional use--

I didn't think the Veggeti type would work well for very long or for larger items, plus having to twist the veggie would be hard on my wrist. So waited to get a Paderno -- I only knew about the 3-blade original version. After I saw how neatly and and compact the 4-blade version packs away, I waited even longer to afford it. I have been eating low-carb for about a year and have accumulated many gadgets and appliances, so the storage "mode" for this one really appealed to me. While I may never use the 4th blade, it is a neat little self-contained box.

The crank works smoothly and I was actually astonished at how well it made the zoodles... and how quickly! Now, I've not owned any other way of spiralizing, just to put that out there, but if you haven't either, you will be amazed at this. I can't speak the reviewers who prefer the "old" 3-blade version -- I never used it. But I did compare and decided that I would l prefer the self-contained storage ability, keeping dust, crumbs, etc out of the clean item.

There were a couple of complaints about this version when someone compared the two Paderno versions. One was cleaning all the nooks and crannies. On that, I agree that juices do drip down into the base, but I solved that problem by placing a small piece of plastic cling wrap over the base and below where the zoodles come out of the blades. If you plan ahead, you can use a large enough piece to put partially used veggies in or cover your bowl afterward. If you are against using plastic wrap completely, you just might have to wash or rinse more of the unit.

The other complaint was that the "catch basin" isn't large enough and the unit is high enough to accommodate a larger one. The catch basin is basically the clear lid for the stored unit. Although the instructions state this can be used to catch the spirals, I didn't even consider it. I don't care about that as I would use a bowl anyway and it works as it should for the lid! Depending on your set up, the height of the spiralizer could be a problem. For me, I position a counter/bar stool next to my island with a bowl and the Spiralizer at the edge of the island, allowing me as large a bowl as I want. If I wasn't able to do that, I would place a low-edges baking sheet under it to catch the spirals. If these are a problem for you, you might want to check out the 3-blade reviews. Everyone has different needs and wants. I live alone, eat low carb and use this often but not necessarily daily or even weekly, so the storage ability appealed to me. If you plan to use every day, it might change your needs.

To clean the blades, think about getting a brush for dishes to scrub the blades so you don't have to come near the sharp blades at all.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone wanting a spiralizer.
on February 23, 2016
I love it! It is absolutely my favorite kitchen appliance. I hardly use grain-based noodles at all now.

I've made several recipes from the Healthy Spiralizer Cookbook, and one recipe I made up myself with it so far. It's very easy to use and the fruit and vegetable noodles have been spectacular. They taste great and they are a lot more filling than I thought they would be. And I don't feel crappy afterwards like I do after stuffing myself with regular pasta or noodles.

I don't find it difficult to clean at all. Most of the time, running the blades under a stream of water clears most of the vegetable residue out of it before I even need to touch it with a sponge. You need to be as careful with it as any sharp kitchen knife. But I find cleaning out blenders and food processors more annoying, for example.

The suction cups are so-so. They definitely help a lot, but you can't really 100% depend on them to stay in place. This isn't an issue for me because I carefully use my other hand to help steady it. One thing - I can't get them to stay stuck to cutting boards of various materials but I can get them to stick pretty well to a counter-top.

The fruit and vegetables can discharge a bit of water or juice as you spiralize them, so it helps to have paper towels or a kitchen towel handy.

One thing is when you are getting used to the set-up, be careful the first time you take the blades out of the storage. The very first time I did this I wasn't sure how much pressure to apply and I ended up slightly cutting my thumb. It wasn't much worse than a paper-cut but that is something to think about as you're getting accustomed to it. Now that I know the touch of it, I haven't had any problems at all.

I would not recommend using this if you are very clumsy or easily distracted. Just a heads-up. It's a great appliance, but when you're working with it, you need to be mindful and fully mentally present with the task at hand.

The picture I attached is of a zucchini noodle chicken soup I made with the spiralizer. It was fantastic and everyone who ate some of it loved it.
review image