Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips PSA612 4 GB Sport MP3 Player
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on October 8, 2005
I bought this digital audio player 2 weeks ago at Walmart. It's an upgrade to my creative nano plus 1 gb player.When I saw it on display, I was surprised to see a 4gb player with a sportsband and under $200. So I bought it ,and so far have been happy with it. I mostly use it at the gym.

PROS:

DESIGN-- looks great, the rocking face cover acts as a navigation button .feels sturdy and durable,although i've been careful with it and have not dropped it yet.

CAPACITY-- 4 gigs. 2k songs. I've packed in all my cd collection ,and i have 200mb left!

SOUND--- excellent, has preset equalizers -i set it to "rock".the earphones are not too bad. good for working out, they actually stay on.

PRICE--- under $200, well worth it.

sports arm band-- rare but great idea. you don't have to buy it seperately,unlike the other HD players. great for working out although a belt clip could also come in handy.

BRAND-- PHILIPS. usually a great manufacturer of electronics. from experience, their customer service is good, they replaced my cd player which was within warranty, right away.

CONS:

WEIGHT-- after being used to the little flash player i had,at first it felt awkward around my arm. But i quickly got used to it.the armband holds it securely.

NO CONTINUOUS PLAY-- if you listen to one artist/album,and finish it, the player won't go to the next artist/album automatically. you have to do it manually.

no voice recorder/MP3 encoding- this was a nice perk that my flash player had. I miss it.

STOPWATCH: why? i don't see the need for this at all. unless you are really anal about how long you have been running(or sitting down listening to music), this is really a waste,not a perk. could have used the voice recorder/mp3 encoding feature instead.

deleting songs: you have to plug in to your computer to delete the songs you don't want.

BATTERY-- Now, The rechargeable batttery deal is great for now. in the long run though I'm not sure. first off, it's internal. it not removable.The player froze on me 1 time,and , i assumed that i just disconnect the battery to reboot it.but you don't have access to it.if it dies, eventually,how will i replace it PHILIPS?

FM STEREO: Never used it. I tried it to see if it works,but don't need this feature.

Overall, this is a decent player.I recommend it. I love it, but i don't love what it doesn't have. But in life, you can 't always get what you want.
on January 12, 2006
I run 10-30 miles each week and like a bit of musical motivation. So far I've burned out two neclace-mounted mp3 players by sweating on them, despite various attempts to protect them. So for my third player I wanted something that could withstand the elements either by being water resistent or arm mounted.

The Phillips manages the elements and has great capacity and style. The included armband is elastic and works well, although I've been putting the player in key pockets which also works very nicely.

It has run with me for 100 miles so far, playing in shuffle mode, and I have never heard it skip. With a few hundred songs it's a little over half full. The radio works great, the headphones are nice and sound good, although I prefer the philips/nike sport model for durability and comfort. The face panel controls allow skiping through songs and adjusting volume easily whilst on the run. And it feels solidly built so I'm not afraid of it getting damaged on the road.

So conclusion, no complaints here and top marks for this great all-around player well suited to athletics.
on February 15, 2006
Overall, I am remarkably pleased with this player, which I received as a really surprise gift last Christmas. The Windows Media interface is straightforward and preexisting as long as you don't have a Mac, and even a newbie to MP3 like myself will probably have no problem getting up and running well within the initial charge time.

In use, the power-up, music selection, and settings during play are a bit clunky, but as long as you aren't song-hopping, this is a minor complaint.

My only real beef with this thing is the earphones. My personal recommendation to anyone looking at any type of MP3 player is to be prepared to trash the supplied phones and look for almost anything else.

The suppled Philips phones are sonically adequate - when you can keep them in position. But keeping them there is nearly impossible as they tend to slide away from the ear canal. This causes the bass to disappear entirely and now your music sounds like it's being delivered via soup can.

I ponied up for a pair of Shure isolating phones and have been extremely pleased with the results, but find myself still a little bitter about the total package cost after upgrading a component that should be supplied in useable form.
on March 22, 2006
Recently bought this at WalMart. Did not want to spend a fortune. I really like the controls as I have large hands and I am older so it is really easy to work. I agree with another reviewer that the headphones are difficult, but something that is a personal preference. For the money this was an excellent buy. I also like the fact that it has the FM tuner. I can use it inside my building for work and I get great reception. My children have IPods and they are jealous of my player!!
on February 10, 2011
This is my second PSA612 that I own,it is great,I don't know why Philips no longer makes it.
Its great for the tread mill,walking,hicking,running,it holds up to extreem conditions,if you are
lucky enough to find one of these,new,used or reconditioned,I recomend highly to get it,you wont be sorry.