Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 20, 2014
I really enjoy this remote. It has a lot of features that extend the capabilities of my camera bodies. They may not be features that I use often, but they are certainly features that are useful for certain applications. For instance, on camera bodies that have a minimum shutter speed of 30 seconds, this remote can be programed to extend that by placing the camera to "Bulb" setting and allowing the remote to dictate when the shutter closes. The remote could also be used for time lapse photography and...
Wait, you can read all of that anywhere.

If you get this remote, keep the manual with it. I go in spells where I use the remote, but not consistently enough to retain info on how to use the remote if I stop using it for any period of time, so I feel the manual is very important in order to utilize all of the features of this remote since there aren't a whole lot of buttons or space the describe how to do what. IF that makes any sense.

One thing I didn't like about this remote is that it requires batteries and often when I wanted to use the remote, I wouldn't have fresh AAAs with me. However, it doesn't require batteries to function as a simple remote shutter release, only to use the advanced features.

So, yeah. If you can score this remote at a price you deem worthy, put it to use and see what you can discover about it.
VINE VOICEon October 8, 2009
I find myself using the MC-36 quite a bit more than I thought I would, and I'm sure anyone contemplating purchasing one knows what they're all about.

I originally purchased it because I like the idea of using it during long exposures or awkwardly placed shots when the camera is mounted on a tripod. I'd rather preview the scene with Live View and use the MC-36 than bend, look in the eyepiece and risk jarring the camera or otherwise upsetting the shot. The MC 36 gives you all the essential functions in your hand, but a few feet from the camera.

But it doesn't end there.

You can take longer exposures than the camera normally permits (my D300 is limited to 30 seconds without the MC-36, but it can take virtually any duration with the cord attached). You can also do repeating time lapse and so on with it.

Only complaints are that there's no ON/OFF switch, so the display is always running. I'm sure it doesn't use much power (haven't been through a set of batteries yet), but I'm sure it would run longer if there were a way to turn it off altogether. Still, I believe the manual says that the basic remote shutter operation continues to work, even without batteries, so there's at least some fail-safe in here.

The other thing I don't love about it is that it's more complicated than it needs to be. Ideally, it would be integrated into the camera's excellent menuing system so you could use all the functions without memorizing the manual, but this isn't the case. It does a lot - you just have to read the manual to figure it out.

Otherwise, great product.
on July 8, 2011
Pros:
Solid construction.

Cons:
Doesn't do fractions of a second, for the price you pay it should.
Outrageously expensive. Nothing is glass or mechanical or high tech electronics, so the price is unwarranted.
Doesn't have an off button, so if you forget the program on the batteries will be gone.
Cable too short.

My conclusion:
Go with a cheaper solution (1/4 of the price), there are many out there, some of them wireless.
on November 9, 2011
I photograph star trails and other night scenes that require long interval exposures. I began using the the Nikon MC-30 for digital work on scenes that were longer than 30 seconds. I also used my stop watch built into my cell phone for a timer. This method works very well, but if your going to expose 200 images for stacking, a remote capable of providing intervals is just the ticket.
All of the previous reviews have pretty much covered the pros and cons of the MC-36. Many have commented on the continuous On function. I think the unit is just fine the way it is. I don't have a problem with the unit not having an On/Off switch as it has a lock feature that works fine for me, but from a competitive marketing stand point, and to satisfy customer demand, the lock feature should have been a switch.

The owners manual seems to be an issue with many owners. Many have commented that the content is difficult to understand. I agree that more time and thought should have been given to this document. However, it is a very simple device, and programming is extremely simple.

I have a Nikon D-300, and to trip the shutter at 60 seconds, I simply enter 60 seconds under LONG, and then 61 seconds under INTERVAL (the additional second is an allowance for writing to disk.), and finally the number of times I want this to occur under N for the number of images, and the MC-36 is ready to put the camera into action.

Finally, it is a tad expensive, but it's one of the very best, It's NIKON.
on November 4, 2011
I have used the MC-36 for a couple of years now, so I can better appreciate the strengths and weaknesses. First the strong points. For doing timed interval shots it is a necessity. I do 5 minute shots of the night sky for 2 hours and it works great. You can set it and forget it. No trying to read a watch in the dark. The interval timer portion is relatively easy to set, once you figure out how to set it. There is a lock function, so you do not inadvertently trigger the timer and run down the battery. You can set intervals as close as one second apart and that is one thing to remember is to have the interval one second longer than the exposure, if you want to make more than exposure. For one exposure it doesn't make any difference what the interval is set at. To do a series of exposures, for example 5 exposures of 2 minutes each, the exposure would be 2 minutes and the minimum interval would be 2 minutes and one second. There is nothing preventing you from setting the interval to one minute or 2 minutes or any value. If the interval is less than the exposure plus one second, the timer will trigger one shot, skip the second and then maybe the third shot and so on. The display appears to use e-ink, so power usage is close to zero when it is not being used. There is a back light function than can be turned on, but it goes off after a few seconds. Nice feature to be able to see the remaining exposures and time in the dark. The MC-36 also has a manual remote button that is separate from the interval timer. The manual button can be locked on. The manual button does not use any power and will function with no batteries.

What's not to like about this unit? It uses the 10 pin connector, so it only works on Nikon's that have a 10 pin connector. I usually connect the timer to my camera, mount the camera to a tripod and let the MC-36 dangle. Over time this has revealed a weakness in this unit. The wires are pulling loose from all the connectors. The wire have come loose at the 10 pin connector and at the unit itself. At the price of this unit, I would have thought it would have better strain relief built into the connectors. The unit still works, but I have had to reinforce the connectors to keep the wires from breaking. Beef up the strain relief at the connectors before they fail.

The angle at which the 10 pin connector attaches to the camera means it is difficult to use the Really Right Stuff L-Plates in the vertical position and have the level on the tripod connector on the back side of the camera. The release lever is on the front of the camera this way and tends to smash the cable, unless you are careful.

I give this unit 5 stars for function, but only 3 stars for holding up under use.
on July 13, 2007
For macro photography, this remote is a must for professional quality photos. Press the release once and the mirror locks up (setting on Nikon D-200), press again and the exposure begins. This insures flawless macro shots that often require long exposure with small ISO values for maximum quality. The remote works without batteries for simply locking the mirror up and triggering the shutter. With batteries in, you can program the release for multiple timed exposures. A must tool. Please see my web site for macro photo examples using this tool bought from amazon: [...]
33 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2007
I find this remote (MC-36) very useful and well built. I use it mainly for shooting single shots from a tripod to remove my fat fingers from the camera - thus removing camera shake when I would push the shutter release. The shutter button on the unit is large and easy to press. You can lock out all other buttons on the remote except the shutter button, therefore you don't press the Set button by mistake. Battery life seems reasonable. Batteries are not included - you need 2 AAA. Display is fine and has a backlight function. Fits well in your hand.

I wish the cord was a little longer, but it seems acceptable. The cord connects to the camera via the standard 10 pin connector with the bonus of a durable metal screw-in adapater thus holding it in place securely.

For those that want to be crazy, as what is life worth living if you can't be a little crazy, it's programmable for timed shooting where you can program up to 999 shots with 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds between each shot... of course, I can't think of a reason I would want to do that, but it's cool having the option - and what is life without options? You can get a lot more practical on the timed shooting also, where you can program in any number of shots (up to 999) over the course of any short (1 sec minimum) or long duration with interval times between shots. Programming is straight forward once you decide on frequency and interval times - the decision graph they give you in the manual leaves a little to be desired. The unit will beep when you are 3 seconds from the next timed shot - you can turn it off if you like. Countdown timer to next shot is shown on the display.

I guess if I had a real gripe it would be about the size of the manual. I like to pack manuals in my bag, as I am getting old and I forget. This manual comes in many different languages - all in the same manual. So I ripped out the 9 pages I needed as I didn't want to carry the 60 page thing around due to the weight. If you buy this you will know what I mean when you see the manual. I have no problem with multi-language manuals, but why not include them as seperate by language so I can recycle the ones I don't want and keep only the pages I need.

You want the ultimate captured memories of your kids growing up? Set up the tripod next to the crib and program in a shot every day for the next 999 days and watch your kids grow up on film (or on your hard drive if you are digital). Nice.

Not cheap in price, but very nice in functionality.

Edited 1/12/08: I broke down and bought a D300 (I couldn't resist) and it works just fine on it also. I am still using this remote after 8 months and I am still loving it. I use it anytime I put the camera on a tripod.
22 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 28, 2013
I decided to keep this after I released there was no on/off button. Now I regret that decision. It's such a hassle to do everytime. Or to forget and run out of batteries. It otherwise works as advertised but the cord is short and the overall feel is cheap. Don't buy this product.
on December 26, 2012
Perfect for time lapse shootings. Easier interface than the camera built-in settings. Long time exposures with DSLR usually results in noise, intervals are the solutions, that's where the MC-36 is a game changer; intervals become intuitive.
on May 20, 2010
Many cool functions. Not completely intuitive but not too hard to figure out. Seems overpriced but I cannot make one myself.