Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on October 7, 2010
Well, this isn't for the 'Noise-Canceling' fanatics! But, if you want a good, light headphones with good range and bass for prolonged use: This is your product. For under $10, this is bang for the buck. Awesome sound, has got an airplane addon too which is pretty useless anyway. It is not as if the noise canceling does not work at all. It does but you will not notice the difference as much as you do for other headphones of similar category. Also, do not imagine the earcups to be large so that that enclose your ear! This will probably just be the size of your ear. So, it sits on your ear rather than enveloping it.
Plus, there is this long noise-canceling device along the cord, that pretty much reduces the mobility.
Like I said, if you want to sit and listen to music for prolonged periods, this is an awesome buy! I would rate the seller Tech REnew a 5/5. USPS service is pretty known!
on March 13, 2012
Two observations.

I have purchased other Philips ear piece headsets...which function adequately, but I am not an audiophile and I purchased based on name and price i.e. not Sony.

1) I get a slight rattle on deep bass in the left ear, if I hold the left ear piece it seems to subside a bit. Although it produces richer bass than the ear bud type headsets I have used, (phillips, sony, apple ..) I purchased these in order to block outside noise... which just having ear coverage works better than an ear bud type headset.

2) ?Active Noise Cancellation? depends on your definition
if by active you mean ear muffs cover your ears then Yes, this is active noise cancellation
if by active you mean some type of "smart detection and cancellation" then NO, it does not have active cancellation.
if by active you mean there is a amplifier attached and you can pump loud music into your ear drums then Yes, it has active noise cancellation.

3) The ear piece is a bit uncomfortable wearing for multiple hours on end.

I am satisfied with the headset for $20, but would be much more dis-satisfied had I paid more.

4) In regards to the "Wire being fragile" from prior review on appearance and initial use, I dont see any thing that is any more fragile than other headsets.

regards.
on March 17, 2015
The headphones were fine...sort of. I did not remember seeing anywhere these were used, but alas, the ones this seller sent were used. For the money, they are great for me. In fact, Philips generally seeks pretty decent sounding headphones for the money. However, the one complaint and it is kinda a big one. The material used on the cushions or headphone padding to the ears has like a faux vinyl/leather...something... that begins to crack and flake. People that don't perspire profusely MIGHT do well with these or people who don't intend to workout wearing these might find them suitable, but I sweat a lot and my intention was to wear while working out so receiving a pair already cracking and flaking stinks.
on April 7, 2012
I use these when I ride my motorcycle. They fit under my helmet, unlike most over-the-head type headphones. The noise cancelation is mediocre, but is useful, and it does amplify the sound a bit.

I can now pretty comfortably listen to music while riding my bike, which is pretty impressive because I have very loud pipes. Over about 70 mph there is too much air noise to hear anything though.
on May 25, 2011
First off... the noise reduction sucks! I took a flight to Miami and, outside of increasing the volume a bit, there was little to none in the way of noise canceling.

I already owned a pair of the Philips SHN2500/37 Noise-Canceling Earbuds... these things were great, but, I really wanted some over-the-ear headphones. So I figured I liked the Phillips ear-buds so much, the Phillips over-the-ear HAD to be great... no matter what the reviews said.

Well... let me say they ARE nice headphones though... which is why I couldn't give it fewer stars. They are very comfortable... and the sound is spot-on... with good highs and lows. But, hey... I coulda simply bought... "nice headphones" for less... but I needed "noise canceling" and these did not deliver.

If you want inexpensive, good, truly noise-canceling earphones... Get the Phillips ear-buds... yes, the reviews on that product are right about the battery case/on and off switch being very obtrusive when it hangs from your ears... but, that's a minor conundrum when you compare quality and price.

Skip this one.
on September 1, 2010
There are so many botched up design issues with this. Not sure how long the rubber-plastic band that rests on the ear will stay fine. the volume control/ noise reduction unit is nothing short of ridiculous (the clip for this already broke - less than 2 hrs of use). volume is significantly reduced when noise cancelling is off. but for this you need 1 AAA battery. otherwise, the headphone will not even function. i would prefer a design where only the noise-cancellation does not function when a battery is absent. the design from the outside looks really nice. the sound is not better than okay. the price was right. $14 after shipping. but for this kind of shipping, they didn't need to even charge me 5 bucks for shipping (they could have just thrown it into a big envelope if USPS accepted it). awful shipping via ups. I must add that the product is indeed very light. I can complain all I want. But for something around $8, I am more than happy. I actually bought this as a backup to an able planet headphone, but will now be using this as the main headphones.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2009
The volume control thing RIDICULOUSLY large. It's bigger than my mp3 player. I didn't think it would be a big deal so I ordered them anyway... the sound is great for the money... they're not as great as $300 headphones, but they're great for listening to music on the bus! I won't use them for much longer because of the giant volume controller. People always ask what the hell I'm wearing because it's so giant and ridiculous. Also, the ear strap is made of rubber and gets stuck to my hair and rips it. Ugh. Good concept, Phillips, but needs a LOT of improvements before it'll be considered a decent pair of headphones.
on June 14, 2015
I love these behind the neck headphones. I've had a set like these before for about 6 or more years till my dog got to it and chewed up one of the ear straps. I couldn't find any like them anywhere so I decided to look for discontinued items. I'm allergic to ear buds and didn't want headphones because I'll get a headache.
on February 18, 2008
I got these headphones at Christmas 2007, but haven't had a chance to really test out the capabilities until a plane trip I just took to Chicago (2/2008). Now that I've tried them in the true test of airplane ambient noise, I can tell you-don't waste your money on these. When you switch on the noise canceling, all it does is boost the volume a bit - doesn't reduce ambient noise at all. They're fine headphones for certain uses - don't get me wrong. They're fine in quiet environments. But they don't work as advertised. Also, after a few hours of use, I find the ear loops become uncomfortable as they cut into your earlobes somewhat. For passive sound isolation, I recommend the Shure E2c earbuds.

2/2/2010 update: I have had the Sennheiser PXC 250 for a while now, and I like them a lot better than the Philips.
on June 3, 2013
I bought these head phones for my father, so he could mow the lawn and listen to music at the same time! He loves them, he doesn't hear the noise from the mower and he gets to listen to his favorite tunes without going deaf from the combined noise!

The headphones were a descent price, they are still in great condition (at least a year old), they work perfectly and I didn't have any problems with the seller! I would definitely buy from them again!

Totally worth it, works great!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.