Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

• Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 2,616 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,950 reviews
on July 31, 2015
You don't need a high dollar french press to make great coffee if you do it the right way (with course grounds). This french press is all you need for the right price.

Before you go out and spend a couple hundred bucks on a new Keurig, do yourself a favor and try this sub $20 Bodum French Press  paired with a quality ceramic burr grinder like this one and impress your friends with the perfect cup of coffee.

HOW TO: Make a Perfect Cup of Coffee with this Cheap French Press

TOOLS:
Killer Coffee Beans
Hot Water
Kitchen Scale
Ceramic Burr Grinder
Bodum French Press
The Ability to Count

Step 1: Measure out 60g of your favorite coffee beans and grind to a coarse grind (about 60-70 turns with the Morning Grind Grinder on coarse setting). Place into Bodum 8 Cup French Press.

Step 2: Heat your water to 200 degrees by bringing it to a boil and removing from heat for 60 seconds.

Step 3: Pour in just enough water to cover the grounds. Then wait 30 seconds.

Step 4: Stir then add the rest of the water (32oz total).

Step 5: Cover with the lid with the plunger all the way up.

Step 6: Wait 3 minutes.

Step 7: Slowly push the plunger down to filter the coffee grounds.

Step 8: Serve immediately. If you wait too long, your coffee will get bitter.
55 comments| 301 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2015
First time user so I was pleasantly surprised at how well this thing works. Good hot coffee with no grounds in the bottom of my cup (that was the thing I was most looking for on my first trial run.) I have yet to grind beans so simply threw some scoops of Folgers pre-ground in the pot and poured in water that had been run through my Bunn. The Bunn appears to get the water to a perfect temperature for brewing in the press.

I like strong coffee (or thought I did till I read some of the reviews here) but have yet to use the prescribed/recommended one scoop to every 4 ounces or even 6 ounces of water. I saw just a little foaming action with this first brew, likely due to the coffee not being fresh ground beans.

So I am only on the fringe of using this brewer to it's full potential. Yet, I am very pleased with it's initial performance and am looking forward to venturing into to the not yet channeled waters (for me) of real coffee drinkers.
on July 17, 2017
This is perfect for cold brew coffee. I make Sun Tea all the time... put tea bags into a nice glass container and let the sun do its deed. But I've developed a taste for ice coffee. I was just using my leftover drip.. but thought I'd try this. I put about 1/2 cup of regular coffee grounds in this. Add water to about 1 inch from top. put the top on (do not plunge yet) and let sit out in the sun for about 4 hours. Then I plunge it. I pour it into another glass container and put in fridge ( I guess you could just put this in fridge, but I think if you left grounds in, it might get bitter.) It's ready to drink right away or it stays good in fridge for a couple of days. LOVE this.. great size to do full pot and good quality plunger.. not grinds get through.
on April 27, 2017
This is a great french press! Our roommate broke it about three months after we got it (dropped it on a concret floor from about 4 feet up, didn't stand a chance) and bought us the same brand, bigger version. Bodum seems to know what they're doing with coffee makers. Very easy to clean, durable. This was our first french press and it was a great one, we simply upgraded to a bigger version because we host people frequently and need more than 3 cups at a time.
on April 13, 2017
The only thing I don't like about this French press is the lack of any marks on the glass to indicate measurement. You either have to guess how much water to add or use your own measuring cup to figure out how much water to add. I typically brew 3 or 4 cups (unless I need more for a visitor) so it took some time to get a feel for how far to fill it without having to measure my water. Altogether, this press only holds 8 cups of water. Since my mugs hold a typical 1.5 cups, this press doesn't make enough coffee for a breakfast party.The filtration is excellent and it is easy to disassemble for cleaning. I run all the parts through my dishwasher.
on May 17, 2017
My first french press! I've only used it 3 times so far but it's worked well! I have put my keurig and Drip coffee maker in storage. I usually fill it about half full in the mornings before work and it makes a good 2 cups of coffee. I've served friends and family with this and they are amazed at the taste. It can turn any coffee into gourmet tasting.
on February 9, 2011
I usually make my coffee middle eastern style in a little copper pot, but with company coming over I needed something that will make a few cups at a time and I hate drip coffee machines. The Bodum makes pretty good coffee, just make sure you give the water enough time to mix with the grinds.
**The beaker is of good quality polymer that feels like glass but behaves like plastic. About boiling water: it says not to pour it in, but who's gonna stand by their electric kettle and wait for the water to be "just hot not boiling"...? So, after the kettle boils, just let the water settle for a minute so it's not bubbling over and then pour. The beaker can handle it. I've poured it that way half a dozen times and no problems.
**Coffee grinds: I use the regular already-ground coffee and none of the grinds get stuck in the mesh. Rinsing it out gets ride of them. Certainly, if you have the products for many years (may it last that long) some grinds will get stuck over time. But there's no need to seek out specially "large grind" beans.
**I was concerned that the beaker wouldn't hold the heat, but the coffee is still HOT after 20 mins. So, if you leave the water with the coffee for about 5-7 mins (it says 4, but I recommend a little longer for more flavour) you'll have a good half hour before the coffee becomes undrinkably lukewarm.

The beaker has safety info on the back that is drawn permanently and doesn't come off.
It makes about 3 cups of coffee, by American standards.
I don't own a dishwasher, so can't comment on how well the beaker holds up in the machine. But if you treat it like any breakable stoneware mug and just be careful, it'll hold up just fine.
on January 17, 2015
This press is nice quality. Thicker glass, strong plastic, sturdy filter. 1 cup of coffee is 4oz but the average mug is 8oz. This will make about six (6) 8oz mugs.

My dislikes: The handle hangs over the beaker which requires you to angle the filter as you place it in the beaker awkwardly. The handle is tough to unhook from the beaker. Once unhooked the beaker is so tight in the base I can't remove it. Water collects in the base which could cause mold if not dried timely. The filter scrapes against the glass during removal and is like nails on a chalk board. The beaker may dribble when pouring a large batch. It's usually fine with a smaller batch.

My cons are not deal breakers. The press is overall really nice. I would def buy again or recommend it to a friend. Great for large batches. If you only need a press for small batches and my cons make you wary, look elsewhere.
on December 8, 2014
Like all French Presses this thing is pretty simple. That said, Bodum has done a good job of perfecting this kitchen staple and Bodum has a reputation for quality kitchen products. Cleaning is easy. The screen in the press comes apart to remove stubborn coffee grinds, which is pretty standard but still nice. My only complaint is that the lid cannot be turned/twisted to keep heat from escaping via the holes around the spout. However that's not much of a problem since you're probably going to want your coffee to cool down a bit first anyway. This is smaller and won't hold enough coffee for more than 1 or 2 people. Also judge the amount of grinds you put in yourself, the directions call for too much I think. 5 stars.
on February 12, 2012
Okay, so for a year my husband and I put up with our crappy Mr Coffee drip coffee maker because we are poor college students and figured that was all we could afford. Honestly, most days it made the coffee taste so bad through burning or whatever the hell its issue was, I honestly don't know, that I'd just end up buying a cup of coffee on campus anyway. THANK GOD for Bodum! On a friend's recommendation, I started looking into the Bodum French press system, and after reading about a hundred reviews and asking myself, "Could something so cheap really be so fantastic?" I finally on a whim bought it. Also, yay for Amazon Student and free shipping :) But anyway, as soon as it came in the mail, my husband and I made the BEST cup of coffee that had ever graced the presence of this little apartment, and we have never looked back. Just to see how much further we could take this delicious experience, we got a coffee grinder (just a cheap Mr Coffee one from Walmart; they have it on Amazon for the same price) and whole bean Moxie Java coffee from Costco (which is only $5.60/lb!) and every morning I wake up with the happy knowledge that only 4 minutes away is the most delicious cup of homemade coffee I will ever taste! (Okay, four minutes plus teapot-almost-boiling time.) Another reviewer warned that this purchase can make your coffee habit increase, and so, your budget also, and that is a valid point. This coffee is goddamn delicious. BUT, I no longer have cravings for coffee shop coffee, since I know that my trusty little Bodum can kick their big old drip machine asses! And that is a big step toward financial freedom, my friends. But seriously, just do it. If you are reading this and wondering, "Should I do it? Is it worth it?" The answer is YES! So good luck on your journey to coffee Nirvana. Peace and love! :)