BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 16, 2008
I love this coffeemaker! It makes a GREAT pot of coffee. I find the reservoir for the beans is just the right size for 10 cups, and probably too small for the 12 cups the machine is supposed to produce. I like a strong, dark cup of coffee. Ten cups equals four good sized mugs.

I can imagine this would be a frustrating machine for someone wanting more than four mugs of coffee daily, since it is very important to wash the components (there are seven) and let them dry COMPLETELY before setting the machine up to brew again. (I find if I want more coffee that day that using my $10 4-cup Mr Coffee is a lot less hassle, even though I have to grind the beans separately.)

The timer function would probably work if I spent more time trying to figure it out, but you have to unplug the machine when you clean it, so setting and resetting the time is just too much trouble for me. I set it up to brew the night before, then plug it in and turn it on in the morning. (We all need to get in the habit of unplugging our appliances when not in use anyway, right?)

I bought this coffee maker "factory reconditioned" and I never hesitate doing this anymore. Not only do I save a lot of money, but more and more frequently I find that "untested" (new in the box) equipment manufactured abroad is almost always defective in some way, and must be sent back.

One last thing: I bought a thermal carafe on eBay that supposedly would fit this coffeemaker (it was the right model number) but even though the carafe fit perfectly in place, the coffeemaker did not like my plans and spilled coffee everywhere except in the carafe. What a mess! I guess to use a thermal carafe you have to buy a thermal coffeemaker.
on November 9, 2008
After owning three Melitta Grind & Brews (all bought from Amazon), when the latest one (the stainless) broke its lid latch, I realized that it was actually an appliance "subscription" that I had to renew every two or three years. Still, I had enjoyed enough success over the years to know that I could depend on the Melitta to brew a consistent pot of coffee day in and out.

Alas, when I discovered that Amazon no longer offered the Melitta I sighed, shopped around a bit and settled for the Cuisinart even though the reviews offered several cautions which I have found should not be ignored.

For instance...you do have to remove & clean 5 separate pieces each & every time you use the machine (the Melitta had a basket & lid). Also--unlike the Melitta--there is a single grinding speed/duration so you have to accept the grind that the Cuisinart provides. In my opinion, this doesn't permit a suitable range of strength to be achieved regardless of the amount of beans you use. It ends up becoming a function of using less water to get stronger coffee--hardly a suitable solution for a well-designed coffee maker.

The machine is quite compact--a plus for folks like me with limited counter space. And it does an adequate job keeping the brew warm without burning it. Still, I doubt I'll be picking up another one if/when this one breaks. I hope Melitta considers producing another G&B since this niche is growing pretty thin.
on August 20, 2008
Purchased this coffeemaker after old Cuisinart coffeemaker finally gave out. The areas that I disliked on our old Cuisinart were greatly improved on this version. The grinder is much easier to remove and clean than the previous version; which was my primary complaint on the old one. Some other reviews have claimed that cleaning this coffeemaker was messy- unless you have ridiculous expectations as to ease of cleaning you will not find this a problem. It doesn't clean itself, which would be nice. Also if it would fill itself with coffee and water- that would be great. But assuming one has the ambition to actually pop the parts out, run them under water and quickly wipe down with a paper towel- you shouldn't feel too physically drained.
on September 8, 2008
Beans are completely, evenly ground. Brews fast. Coffee is very hot and consistent. 12 cup is great if you need it. Grinder is loud. Does not come with coffee filter. I bought the recommended permanent filter and it works fine. All parts that need cleaning come out except one spot where grounds shoot into filter. I wipe with a damp paper towel once a week using my finger, doesn't bother me. Does come with disposable charcoal water filter that you do not have to use. Mine stopped brewing after the first few pots. Amazon promptly shipped me another reconditioned one with return of bad one postage paid. Second one works correctly, everyday sometimes twice a day so far. Still rate a 5 for product. The price makes this a 6.
on November 11, 2008
The reconditioned units arrive in new looking condition and are well worth the reduced price. Our 10 cup version is still working but my wife is such a coffee addict that we needed to have one in reserve. We put the 10 cup away and started using the 12 cup only to find that she had a problem seeing the water level inside the reservoir. So we packed the recently purchased unit up as the backup and are back to using the 10 cup version which I believe is the 300 series.

Another difference, the 10 cup unit came with the gold filter but the 12 cup unit requires one purchase the gold filter separately for an additional $10. We just used the paper filters instead.
on September 30, 2008
This product has a number of problems. The grinder is very small for a 12-cup coffee maker, and can only hold enough for about 8 cups of strong coffee. If you like strong coffee and need to make more than 8 cups at a time, buy another machine. Also, the filter basket sometimes flies open during the grinding process, spewing coffee grounds all over the kitchen. That was dramatic! Still, I'm keeping it because it makes a good cup of coffee, and I don't have time, energy, or money to replace it.
on October 21, 2008
I really like this Cuisinart grind and brew and the price was excellent. It is easy to clean up if you even use beans than other models I have had in the past. It is very modern looking and would go great in any kitchen. I like that it is easy to program and use. I have no complaints at all about this coffeemaker and would highly recommend it to anyone that wants a great easy care coffee machine.
on July 11, 2007
I ordered the DGB-500BKFR to be used as a secondary coffee pot. Much to my surprise and satisfaction, I now use it for my regular morning coffee. The quality of coffee it produces is delicious. The only problem (one that I am willing to live with) is the cleaning process. The grinding compartment becomes very soiled after use but I am willing to live with this because the resulting brew is outstanding.
on October 9, 2012
Had this for years adn still running good.
Great thing about it is that even after so many years the cofee comes out very very hot out of this coffee maker.
It is hard to clean inside - one issue that i can think off with this product.
on August 13, 2008
I bought this unit, when our old unit died (different brand). The coffee this unit makes is good. The problem is you have clean it after ever brew. With other brands you have to do this, but this unit has a grinder, grinder top, filter basket, filter top, pot top and carafe, which all must be cleaned after every use. A lot of work. I would not buy another one.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.