Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sorel Men's Caribou II Boot
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on December 18, 2010
Don't buy!! I have used Sorel Caribou boot in our snowmobile rental business for over 25 years and have been very impressed with the warmth and durability of the boot. I buy about 50 to 100 new pairs of boot every year. However, a few years back Columbia took ownership of sorrels. In the past 4-5 years the boots has been crap. Almost every pair of boots we have bought in the past 4-5 years the rubber has cracked (sometimes the cracks are over 2" long) on the sides of the front half of the boot causing the boot to leak; which of course makes your foot wet and cold. The first year this happened I wrote Columbia and sent 20 pair of boots back. They sent me 1 replacement boot. They have not fixed the problem because the same thing has happened with the entire boot purchases I have made from them in the past two years, Stupid me for continuing to buy them. I threw away 100 boot that were only used 3-6 months this December and daily I am throwing away more. This year I bought Cabela's similar boot, which is warmer, but until next year I won't know how well they hold up. Save yourself some time and money try a different manufacturer.
4040 comments| 558 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2012
I have had Sorels in the past and they have been extremely durable lasting probably 10 years and being passed on from my brother. I purchased a pair in winter 2009 and they started to crack in the rubber soles where the rubber bends the same winter. I wrote to the company (Columbia Sportswear now) and they agreed to send me a new pair of boots. I gave the benefit of the doubt that it was a manufacturers defect and that by getting a brand new pair was a good trade off.

After getting a new pair the next summer I started wearing them again in the winter of 2010, and before springtime they were cracking again. I told them about it and they again sent me a new pair after sending the old ones back. Now I've been wearing my new pair again and probably more lightly then other years and they too have started developing the same cracks. I'm going to write them and request a credit as I dont want to put another boot in the landfill.

They obvously havent fixed the problem, and to me it looks like they may not. Perhaps the profit being earned on having the boots made of cheaper rubber overseas is still way more profitable even if they have to replace some of them.

Keep reading reviews and you will see. Dont get these boots until this problem is resolved if it ever is.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2015
I had my last pair of Sorel boots for nearly 20 years, and they were still in good condition when I gave them to the local Goodwill store. Bought a new pair of these Sorel Men's Caribou boots in November 2013 at another online retailer -- about 15 months ago, as of this writing. I was hoping these would be the same high quality as my old ones, and was pleased with the fit, the warmth, and the appearance when they first arrived. However, now that I've had them just over a year, I am extremely disappointed. The rubber in the uppers appears to have aged prematurely, there are multiple cracks in the rubber of the uppers, and tears along the outside edges of both boots where the rubber meets the sole. I checked the Sorel website, and they only warranty their footwear now for one year. (By the way, many customer reviews on the Sorel site mention this same problem.) These are not inexpensive boots -- a $150 boot should last longer than a year! I won't be buying Sorels again, if this poor quality is their new normal. Shame on you, Sorel!
review image review image review image
on January 19, 2013
Sorel used to make good boots. Then they sold out to Columbia which started using cheap rubber that cracks in a few months of use. Do not waste your money on these boots. Columbia ruins everything they get their hands on.
on January 14, 2015
As another reviewer stated these boots are not what they once were. My father has a pair from the 70's that are still in use. I bought a pair last winter (2013) and this morning (winter 2014) discovered that there are cracks on the inside of both boots where the toe flexes. See the attached photo, this crack is 1.5 inches long and on both boots in the same spot. The tear is right through to the liner and makes them about as useful as a sneaker. Shame really, these boots were once the industry standard. Now I am likely out the $160 I paid for them and am suddenly bootless mid winter. I'm outdoors for work on a daily basis in upstate NY where warm winter boots are a must. I would highly advise that you not purchase these boots. I'm a camper, hunter, and avid winter outdoors person. I don't often write reviews but I feel that unless the sale of these boots bottoms out to near zero the quality issue won't be addressed. Clearly Columbia has switched to a sub par rubber in an effort to save their money and take more of yours. If they were $50 I'd shrug it off, but they are perhaps the most expensive brand on the market.
review image
on January 10, 2008
After 1-1/2 winters, mine are falling apart. The left sole is split from the upper and each boot has numerous small cracks in the rubber where my foot flexes. Not good for a $100 boot. They ARE very warm when my feet aren't wet. UPDATE: Sorel sent me a whole new pair and I have changed my rating to 3 stars.
44 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2013
Have owned them 3 weeks and the rubber is cracking on both boots. I bought sorels because they were supposed to be a boot that would last a lifetime. I really was disappointed how they held up. I would not buy another pair of sorels again, they are crap.
on November 7, 2009
I have owned a couple of pairs of Sorels, they are good for the cold, BUT if you need to work outside, and you must be able to move quickly, look for a pair of serious, molded exterior, mountaineering boots.
Sorels have a type of felt lining, they will "pack out" with time (2 weeks of every day use). If you only need them for being outside in the cold for a couple of days each month, Sorels will work just fine. Be sure to get at least one felt foot bed liner that should be readily avaible when you buy the boots.
Sorels will get "sloppy" on your feet with time. When they pack out the will not be easy to walk long distances in, meaning more than a couple of hundred yards. The felt also collects moisture from your feet sweating. If you must be outside for extended periods of time this will reduce the boots ability to keep your feet warm, use anti-perspirant on your feet! It helps.
When I last had to work ouside I was making snow for a major ski resort. I had to be able to walk all day long - I did not want Sorels. I then looked for , and bought a pair of molded composite shell mountaineering boots, which are made to keep feet warm, and walk all day long. They are expensive ($200+), but worth every cent if you must be able to move and walk quickly all day long. Yes, sorels are great if you need something for a short period of time, but for day in - day out work, where you want to be comfortable - look for something much more molded to your feet.
on January 3, 2013
Worst boots ever. The rubber band cracked after only three months of usage. They are poorly made, with cheap materials. The boots are way too heavy as well. I am throwing them in the trash right now !
on October 10, 2007
These 10" high winter boots set the standard for basic cold weather boots in snowy conditions. They're probably the boot most commonly worn by locals in snowy Western mountain towns.

But be advised they do not have a lot of lateral stability in the sole of the boot. That is to say, the rubber bottoms tend to twist sideways making them, in my opinion, unsuitable for anything other around town use and possibly some work situations. The twisting motion makes traveling off beaten paths, especially climbing hills or side hilling, more difficult and tiring. My seven year old (Canadian made) Sorel Caribou models have somewhat thicker and probably more water resistant leather uppers, but the current (Chinese made) Sorels seem to have more advanced combination synthetic and wool felt liners and apparently much-needed additional underfoot insulation.

These boots have a cool look with the faux shearling collars but their relatively modest height means you will need to wear gaiters to keep out snow if you leave beaten paths. Felt lined pacs are typically the warmest boots for the bucks and the liners can be taken out to dry. I've washed my Sorel liners on gentle cycle using wool-friendly soap with excellent results and spraying some Armorall (used to perk up rubber and plastic in cars) on the rubber bottoms keeps them looking great as well.

Recommended to anyone who wants a warm, foolproof, traditional looking boot to wear in around-town or to cold weather outdoor events, keep in the car for emergencies and possibly wear to work or riding snow machines in really cold weather.