Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 61 reviews
on August 3, 2013
I have had two of these printers and loved the features, for a very inexpensive product. Unfortunately, they extort you for an insane price for their ink. They clearly warn you not to use non-Brother cartridges, and indeed, both printers eventually failed after using very inexpensive alternatives. So, it is dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. The cost of Brother ink makes the printer unusable, and the other guy's ink makes the printer unusable. Read many reviews of others with same problem and some suggestions on how the get the print heads working again. None of the methods worked. When you call Brother, the first thing they ask is if you used someone else's ink. That is followed by 'We can't help you then." Don't be tempted by cheap Brother ink jet printers unless your print/copier volume is so low that you can actually afford to use their ink.
on December 11, 2011
I've been using (trying to use, actually) this printer for three days, and it's either going back or going in the trash.

The wireless installation was an enormous pain. My network setup is fairly straightforward: a wireless router with WPA2-Personal (AES) security, not broadcasting the SSID. Until now, every device I've installed on the network has connected without a hitch (including, from time to time, a MacBook, two Windows laptops, a Windows desktop, an iPad and a Wii).

Not this printer, however. I followed the network setup instructions that accompanied the printer, manually inputting my SSID and security passphrase. After a minute or so, a "Connection Failed" message appeared on the printer's screen, and it spit out a paper report with a "TS-06" error message on it ("The wireless security information is incorrect."). I reset the printer to factory default settings and re-entered my SSID and passphrase, this time double-checking my entries. Same result -- Connection Failed, code TS-06.

Then I tried WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) a couple of times. Also unsuccessful. Despite the fact that my router is WPS-enabled, and the printer was sitting about 18 inches away from it, the printer gave me a "TS-07" error message ("The machine cannot detect a wireless access point/router that has WPS or AOSS enabled.").

At that point I figured I should rule out any problems with the router. I power-cycled it and tried to connect the printer again. Connection Failed. Then I decided to review my router's config settings. I was scanning the router's system status page when something caught my eye... the router was reporting 5 network devices connected to it. I could only think of four (two laptops, one iPad, one Wii). I pulled the MAC address off the printer and... guess what? That's right. The printer was the fifth device. Very puzzling. How could the router see the printer as being "connected" when the printer itself was reporting "Connection Failed" over and over again?

I decided to try printing something from my laptop. It worked. Pretty surprising, given that the printer NEVER reported a successful network connection -- just "Connection Failed" over and over again.

Print quality looked pretty good, and at that point, I was prepared to give the printer a 3 or 4 star review. I figured I'd give it a few days before posting a review. That turned out to be a good decision.

In the last 3 days, I've printed *maybe* 25 pages. Everything's been fine until tonight. All of sudden, it's printing NOTHING. When I send a print job, it feeds paper, I hear the ink heads moving around like they're printing, and a blank page spits out. I've run through all the troubleshooting steps, and the problem persists.

This thing is garbage. Don't waste your money.
on January 28, 2012
This printer is a nice compact unit that does everything it is advertised to do and does it well at a very reasonable price. I don't really care for inkjet printers, especially for photos, since the inks are water based and leave a damp page that needs to dry out. While that is true of this printer, it is minimal and the picture reproduction is excellent, so it is adequate for my limited use.

It is quite easy to set up once I learned to use the menu buttons and stepped through all the menu selections. Finding the USB connector was a bit of a challenge as it is located inside the printer, under the top access panel that houses the scanner. There is a channel in the case that leads the cable out of the side of the printer. Odd, but usable.

I also learned to set up the printer for printing through both the USB cable and wirelessly. A separate port needs to be set up for each, so it like printing to two different printers. The setup doesn't specify which is the wireless port and which is the USB port, so I renamed each so it was easy to tell which was which.

I'm still trying to determine if it can scan wirelessly or not.
on December 29, 2013
This printer now has been working great for 2 years, plenty of photo printing, copying, scanning and what not and i only use generic low cost cartridges and would never again use a printer that does not accept those or where it could not be circumvented. I paid for it new only $95 with shipping right here on Amazon, so not sure why the price has more than doubled now, I guess the supply for this model is drying up and newer models are out taking its place. It's great overall for its multiuse functions, but do not buy it for speed, it's great for general normal use, but if you will be printing hundreds of pages everyday this will not provide the speed you need.
on September 9, 2011
First off, I already have an older Brother multifunction printer which looks like & works almost exactly the same as this one. However, it is not wireless. It still works but I just use it as a back up now. General setup and wireless installation with the CD took like less than 30 minutes. It was easy. As long as you already have wireless internet service and know your SSID# & passcode, you're good. Anyways, I just set the new one up this past week so I don't feel my review is 100% at this point. I have not yet had any issues. Wireless use has been successful, however, the printer is about 20 ft from my laptop.
Hopefully this model does not have the issue of not acknowledging when the printer ink has been changed. The older printer beeps every time I turn it on, which is notification that the ink is low, even if I just refilled it. But it still works just fine...So, at this point I don't have any complaints.
on June 24, 2012
A very annoying feature about this printer: if one (out of four) of ink cartridges runs out of color, the printer will not print anything at all, even in black & white.. it just keeps beeping & demanding the empty cartridge to be replaced. yellow runs out very fast, for no apparent reason, the software doesn't give you a warning about low supplies, and then one day, unexpectedly, you're stuck without any ability print when you really need to. The cartridges have to ordered online, and are very expensive. Feels like a thoughtless design feature
on January 22, 2014
Good printer, no problems. I like only having to buy the color ink that I use up. My logo is blue, so I always need more blue and black than the other 2. Fax works well. I also use it to scan. Even though it has the feeder, if you scan multiple pages, the pdf it creates is a bunch of 1 page documents. This could be an issue for some.
on August 15, 2011
This is a nice printer however there are a lot of ink cartridges to replace (4 or 5) so I hope they all come in one package. They say that the replacement costs on this printer are resonable so we will see.
My biggest complaint is this printer was hard to install. I ended up having to call Brother for technical support to get it installed. If you are computer savvy then it might not be a problem.
Overall I would recommend this printer as it is compact and does everything I need it to do.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
I bought this printer to replace an epson and HP laser that were developing problems due to age. I am moving in the near future and wanted a small convienient printer for the interium. It is quite fast once it gets set up for the job. This set up takes only 6 to 7 seconds. It is quiet and convienient. The printing quality is good the color is as advertised. Cartridges are easy to install. The initial soft-ware set up is easy and straight forward. I would recoment this printer to a friend!
on July 12, 2014
Speed of delivery was great but black ink part does not work we are having to print everything using color mode. I did not notify company of the problem because I have no time to switch it out