Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microsoft Rolling Laptop Case--Diplomat
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on February 7, 2011
Ask yourself this question: do you need a larger, durable laptop bag that will easily hold even a 17" laptop PLUS many laptop accessories, a few engineering tools, and maybe a change of clothes? And since all that will weigh at least 20lbs (or more) you want a roller bag with a strong extend-able handle, so you can roll it behind you? If YES on those questions, this is the bag for you.

If instead you are the typical "travel light" enthusiast with a lightweight 15" (or smaller) laptop or netbook, this is NOT the bag for you.

You'll find this bag is very appreciated by engineers (like me) who use this bag to lug around 17" high-performance workstation laptops PLUS they stuff in another twenty pounds of laptop accessories and engineering tools. And those engineers are amazed this bag can carry all that AND handle the abuse of 100,000+ travel miles per year, being dragged up/down countless flights of stairs and down pothole-filled sidewalks in godforsaken 3rd world cities where business takes you.

Back in early 2007 I spent a week searching for a 17" laptop bag that can handle such a harsh travel environment. I probably looked at 30 different laptop bags, finding NOTHING suitable...until I found this incredibly strong and roomy roller bag manufactured by Samsill (model 39202) and branded with Microsoft name. Now after nearly four years of use, I tell you this is an EXTREMELY well-made 17" laptop roller bag. I am absolutely amazed at the abuse this bag has taken and it has not fallen apart!

A week ago I noticed Amazon.com has this same bag at this incredibly low price (compare to $120 to $150 at other retailers), so I bought a second bag by ordering off this Amazon.com product listing to which I'm now reviewing. Frankly I worried this price was "too good to be true" and so was concerned I'd receive a "cost reduced" cheaper version. However, I was relieved to see Amazon.com deliver EXACTLY the same model and quality bag that I had previously ordered for $150 about four years ago from another retailer.

I'll wrap up this review by stating some important facts about this bag:
- No shoulder carrying strap. It would have been nice to have that feature (but keep in mind, most would consider this bag too large for shoulder-strap carrying)
- The handle at top of bag has about an inch and half of padding that rests against palm of your hand, for much improved comfort
- Very high quality zippers with metal sliders. I've NEVER had one fail on this product
- It has a remarkably strong Aluminum extend-able handle. I've had so many handles break on OTHER brand bags, but never on this one. Also that handle is adjustable to different lengths, up to its max locking position that is a full 40" above the floor! That long handle means this bag does NOT have the discomfort of rolling so close behind you that your feet are constantly kicking it as you walk. This bag doesn't have that issue.
- It does NOT have a strap/web on its back side, a feature some other bags have so you can thread the bag down upon the extend-able handle of another luggage. You'll miss that feature when traveling additional luggage because you cannot safely piggyback this Samsill bag on top of a larger wheeled luggage (that has extend-able handle).
- The roller wheels are extremely durable and high quality, very close to the quality of wheels seen on Rollerblades.
- This thing has close to TWENTY separate small pockets on the interior, plus four LEGAL sized bi-fold pockets, which I've found roomy enough to hold 1" thick legal folders. Also has snap ring to clip your keys onto.
- This bag is unusual for having THREE separate zippered compartments and EACH of those is large enough to hold a 17" laptop! (I know; I tried it one day). In actual use, the middle compartment is for your 17" laptop. If you plan to use this for a 15" laptop, this bag also ships with a removable padded carrier (that holds 16" or smaller laptop) and slips into that larger middle compartment. (NOTE: most 17" laptops will NOT fit into the padded slip cover because that is for the smaller like 15.4" laptops.) The second zippered compartment is to the front and holds your books, folders, and laptop accessories, with many small pockets for pens, cell phone or whatever. The third zippered pocket (found at the back) is HUGE, measuring 2.5" deep X 16" long X 12" tall. You can literally stuff a light change of clothes in there plus it even has the suitcase-style X-shaped elastic band to hold your clothes in place.
- WARNING: when you remove the 15" padded slip cover from the middle compartment (so your 17" laptop will fit) that leaves that compartment with INSUFFICIENT padding to protect your laptop (if bag is dropped) - so I strongly recommend you add some kind of padding in that compartment around the FOUR outer edges of your laptop. This is the biggest design defect of this bag.
- In addition to the THREE large compartments already mentioned, this bag has TWO more compartments: one in front that is closed with the fold-down (Velcro closure) flap, and a thin slotted compartment at the very back (only holds maybe a couple thin manila folders)
- When they claim exterior is made of 1680D Ballistic Nylon they are not joking. This is very tough material.
- This is NOT a super stylish bag. This is a boring looking black bag; not cheap-looking, just nothing remarkable about the styling.
- I don't agree the spec that this bag weighs 11 lbs empty. I weighed it at about 9 lbs (empty and without the 15" padded slip cover in the middle compartment). That's relatively light weight; most other roller bags of this size (and durability, with these features) are heavier.
- A bit of warning to avoid SCRATCHING your laptop: when you put a laptop into the middle pocket, be sure to orient the TOP of the laptop towards the BACK of the roller bag, because that will orient the non-cosmetic bottom of your laptop against the exposed metal zipper slide. You don't want that zipper slide to scratch the decorative top surface of you laptop. You'll see the zipper slide I'm talking about as soon as you look into the middle zippered pocket of this roller bag.

It is a mystery WHY Samsill advertises this bag as only fitting up to 15.4" laptop. All you need do is pull the padded slip cover out of the middle compartment and throw it away; then this bag fits any 17" laptop with room to spare. Also, I think FEW people actually use this bag (with the padded slip cover) for a 16" or smaller sized laptop, because frankly this bag is too big if all you need is something to carry a 16" or smaller laptop.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2011
I've had a variety of computer bags and really needed a rolling bag. I read other review and found most all to be accurate and then some. This beauty carries more than enough files, supplies, and laptop. In fact, if I needed to carry my 17" Acer and my smaller Dell, along with files and supplie, there'd be no problem. I'm pretty hard on things and this looks like it will be well worth the money spent.
on July 21, 2011
Thx u so so much. That was the most expeditious delivery I had even experience. I placed my order in the late afternoon, aprroximately 4pm on 20th of July and received confirmation via email saying it's been shipped and being delivered the following day. I got the UPS man at my door around 1 in the afternoon on 21st of July-WOW!!!

The case is "AWESOME"!! Extremely satisfied, it's exactly what I wanted.

After reading all the great reviews, description, and the detailed pics, I new this was the case for me. THX U THX U AGAIN THX !!! Fantastic product, excellent price, quality can't be beat, and service - over the top!!! The case was much much more than what I expected. Tons of pockets, rolls quiet, look amazing, the extra carrying case for your laptop is a plus, the handle is sturdy and can be adjusted, enough room to carry school books, folders, ipad, and I love the overnight compartment to store my gym towel, ipod, and change of cloths. You will not be disappointed. I carry my 15in macbook pro, ipad, ipod, iphone, gym attire, makeup bag, UBS cords, chargers, portable keyboard, digital camera, books, folders, etc..an it doesn't feel heavy as I thought it would be and I still have enough room for more items. Moreover it doesn't look large, the case looks nice and compact. It doesn't look as if a 17in laptop could fit in the case but it will and does. Did I mention you get a case within the case? Yes, there is a carrying case for your laptop that can fit a 17in or 15in laptop with a large pocket on the side of the bag for more stuff to put in it. The carrying case is also cushioned so that you laptop is protected.

The pics given doesn't give this rolling laptop case any justice, it FABULOUS!!
on November 18, 2012
I am very impressed with the amount of room this bag seems to have. I bought it for my boyfriend as a Christmas present. I researched a lot of bags and read a lot of reviews before buying this one. He travels a lot and needed a rolling bag for his laptop. He also needed something that could hold a couple days worth of clothes. I sure hope he isn't disappointed with this bag. I will update after Christmas.

UPDATE: My boyfriend LOVES this bag. He said the handle grip is smooth and soft and that it rolls very easily. He said it is very roomy. It has a separate slip out type case for the laptop, which makes things very convenient and easily accessible.
on July 12, 2011
Have been very satisfied with this rolling laptop case. It was a little bit bigger than I had imagined it would be but it turns out that it holds everything I need to carry in it. I don't use it for a lot of heavy-duty stuff but it doesn't need to be for my purposes. There was a quick delivery on the product after ordering and I was very pleased and surprised with that, but I have only had one time and it was using an outside vendor where I have ever had any problems with Amazon deliveries. Usually they are quite prompt and efficient.
on December 3, 2011
Roomy,good long handle... I'm 6' tall and it fits me well. Durable (so far), tons of storage, rolls smoothly, and it seems to be built with quality. I've had it for about 4 or 5 months and am completely satisfied.
on October 28, 2011
This bag is very well made and nice as an overnight bag with space for 1 laptop and its associated gear. I was looking for something that would accomodate 2 laptops with lots of extra gear and this did not fit the bill. I feel it is a well constructed bag with room for files, a change of clothes and a laptop but I carry too much stuff for this bag. I would also like the handle to be a bit longer as it was a hair short for me (I'm 6' tall). If I didn't carry all the gear that I do, it would have been a great bag at a great price.
on May 4, 2012
I ordered this case to replace the carry-on bag that must hold my laptop, a book or my Kindle, my prescription medications, my knitting, and at least a change of underwear in case my checked luggage goes astray. Unfortunately, the compartment intended for everything other than the laptop also contains the telescoped handle. There is a space maybe two inches deep in that compartment--not enough space for anything but the book. There is plenty of space for a laptop in the other compartment, which is designed for it, but if you insert the laptop in the sleeve that comes with the case, there wouldn't be any room for anything else in there. This case wasn't what I was looking for, so I returned it.
on August 7, 2011
This is an excellent product. Really good deal for the price. Is of very good quality and has lots of spaces to organize. It allows me to carry laptop, electronics, accessories and few books easily. The price ($55) is really a bargain for the excellent quality. I have tried a few laptop cases and rolling laptop case before and this is the best quality and bargain as well.
Extremely satisfied with the quality of the product.
on October 16, 2011
Well built, carries my 17in laptop & slate, either together or separately! Also carries my paper work on trips and or back in forth to work!