Top positive review
Fabulous guitar--perfect size and tone for travel
November 28, 2015
I ordered this guitar as I tend to travel a lot, and I just returned to playing regularly. I read plenty of reviews for the travel guitars in this price range, and I went with the Martin.
There's so much good to this guitar, it's hard to find the negatives. At only two pounds plus some change, this little guy is super light and easy to carry. The packaging is solid and sturdy, and when I opened the Martin box, the guitar was packaging in a padded bag. I tuned it up, and with a little stretching, it kept its tune within a few hours.
Despite being a bit odd looking, the backpacker is easy to adapt to. I'm not sure if folks need a reminder: this is a travel guitar. It's designed to be small, so that comes with a price tag.
1. The strings are great--it comes with Martin strings, and they sound great.
2. The sound on this is phenomenal. I've been playing on el cheapo I picked up a few years ago, so this was like heaven. Yes, it does sound a bit "pluckier" than your average guitar, but not in an annoying way. It's a great fingerpicking guitar, but I can only strum with decent ability right now.
3. Yes, you lose some volume. Look at the size of this thing: physics, folks. But it's almost magical in the way it projects, and if you strum strong and loud, you'll definitely get plenty of volume for travel.
4. The action is NOT high. Maybe someone got a weird one, but the action is perfect and low. Having played on a nightmare for the last few weeks, this is incredibly easy to play. The fret board has a solid, natural feel, so the transition was very easy.
5. The strap solves the ills of the heavy neck. It's super neck-heavy, no question, but the strap, properly adjusted, fixes the problem. I find it a bit more comfortable to stand with, or to sit on a stood with, but either way, you'll be able to play. Hand placement is an issue for the right side, but I figured out a way that works just fine for me.
6. You can't been the price or portability on this little guy. He's sweet to play and listen to, and he's perfect for travel.
I would highly recommend for experienced or beginner musicians. Lots of fun, and a great purchase for its intended purpose.