Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 3, 2016
I bought this MacBook over 8 years ago. I have not had one problem with it since and i still use it. While the OS is outdated and cannot be updated for new versions, it runs very well and is perfectly fine for internet browsing, e-mail, word processing and the like. I doubt that you would want to buy this for playing games, but if you want a workhorse just to do the basics, you can't go wrong. One caveat: the shell of the laptop is not particularly durable. Over the years the plastic has peeled off in layers at the edge. Still, it's very minor as you can see from the photo attached.
review image
on January 6, 2008
This is my first Mac. I come from a predominantly Linux background (with Windows reluctantly mixed in when forced upon me), so I'm happy to know that this is got BSD under the hood, along with access to bash shells, X11 programs (got GIMP installed!), etc. So far, I'm happy with OS X Leopard, with only a few things still to get used to (e.g. OS X's semi-click to focus, etc.).

One problem: the power adapter that came with the Mac stopped working after about 1 full day. Luckily for me, I was in a city with an Apple Store, so I headed out there and wound up getting a brand new one as a replacement. The new adapter's been working fine ever since, so I can't hold a single hw problem against them too much (as long as it's a replaceable part!).

I like my laptops small and with long battery life. I've been impressed with the battery life of this MacBook so far. Flying back home after the holidays, I was able to do a little internet surfing, and sync & charge my ipod at the airport, then watch a 102-minute DVD on the plane (with bluetooth and wireless turned off), and it still reported 1-2 hours left after the movie. Not too shabby. And, unlike some long-life batteries for other laptops, the included battery is not obtrusive at all, fitting the MacBook like a glove (which one should expect given it's an Apple).

One of my big concerns before getting a MacBook was the lack of multiple buttons. I'd grown quite accustomed to using a laptop trackpad with two buttons and a scrollwheel. However, once I learned that the MacBook trackpad could simulate secondary clicks (read: right mouse button) by tapping two fingers, and could scroll by keeping one finger on the pad while moving the other, that alleviated a lot of my concern. There still doesn't seem to be a replacement for a middle mouse click (which is used a lot to paste stuff in Linux, as well as do things in Firefox like open a link in a new tab), but I'm dealing so far.
on December 30, 2007
This computer just simply amazing. The MacBook is so polished and refined. Everything on the Mac OS is so well organized. The base software load is not bloated like when you buy a PC. You get exactly what you need and not 5 different programs that all do the same thing like on some PCs.

The thing works straight out of the box. It amazing how every just works by itself (printers, cameras, and etc.). This is the way a computer should be.

Some Windows users are sometimes worried about the learning curve when switching over. I am an advanced and long time windows user. It took me about a week to learn everything on a Mac that I can do on a PC. The Mac OS is very intuitive.

You can run windows on a Mac too and guess what it runs way better on the Mac then any of my PCs I have. Boot camp will allow you setup windows and switch between operating systems. And it works perfectly. Also there is a program called Parallels 3.0 which will let you run windows inside the Mac OS. It also works great too.

I am person that works in the Tech Industry and has a Computer Engineering degree and has been using Windows since I was 12. I am completely sold on Macs.
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2008
How can you go wrong with a MacBook. They just work!!!
This was bought for 3 children to share in our household and it seems to be doing well. It takes a beating regularly and gets them to their favorite sites.

I would recommend 2gb RAM - which means the 1gb (2x512) that this comes with basically goes to waste. It has two memory slots which can take 1 or 2gb sticks. You could always sell the 512 chips...someone somewhere may want them.

Also...one note...this laptop has an integrated video card. If you are planing to use it for gaming...then I would recommend a mac book pro or a imac...this will not run a lot of EA games like Need for Speed.... WE did get Madden 08 to work on it...

Hope the above helps in your decision.
on October 26, 2013
I bought this MacBook 6 year ago and still runs like a champ! In fact, I'm writing this review from it. The only reason I woudn't recommend buying it is because the OS is old and the machine is not suitable for newer versions, but it still runs faster and smother than most of the new laptops of the other brands.
on February 26, 2008
I used Macs extensively from 1985 through 1998 and then switched to PC's because by and large, 10 years ago, PC's integrated better in my work environment (my company switched from Mac notebooks to PCs as well for similar reasons, despite howls of protest from Mac devotees!)

When my "trusted" and souped up HP NX-5000 refused to power up all of a sudden, I needed a new machine. Although I was satisfied with Win-XP based systems, the new Vista based machines seemed resource hungry and not as backward compliant with software/peripherals as XP - at least, this was my experience with my son's Toshiba notebook running Vista Home. So I decided that the time was ripe to try a Mac again.

At home, we now have a ThinkPad T42 running XP, a Toshiba Satellite running Vista, a Dell Desktop running XP and now, my MB063LL/B with OSX and XP installed. We also have 4 printers - a multifunction Canon MF5550, a legacy NEC Superscript 870, a new HP 2605N color laser and an HP940c inkjet. Both OSX and Vista do not support the Canon or NEC printers - only the HP's. Only Windows XP truly supports all four.

The first thing I did was upgrade RAM from 1GB to 4GB. I believe both Leopard and Vista machines require at least 2GB (even though they are commonly sold in 1GB configurations) and I use my machine extensively for work - no games or toys! I purchased Kingston memory and it has worked flawlessly. Although the installation procedure is straightforward, it is hard to remove the tiny screws covering the memory card bay even with the screwdriver recommended by Apple's installation guide.

The screen brightness and crispness is very good although font sizes are small. I tend to use a second monitor whenever possible and the dual screen functionality works very well (as it does on Windows machines as well.) Battery retention has been very good so far.

My experience with software is mixed. Yes, I love OSX's Unix underpinnings (I was a Unix sys admin as a grad student in the 80's and know it pretty darn well.) The operating system seems very reliable and I like that. I really love Parallels 3.0 and the ability to run XP under it - programs like MS Project, Visio etc. seem to work flawlessly. With Coherence mode enabled, it is truly spectacular - you have Mac OS and Windows applications running side by side - you can even cut and paste across applications in both environments!

The built in camera is pretty good and iChat works very nicely with it. Definitely a plus over most comparable Windows machines.

However I have also had my share of problems with Apple user programs. Mail crashed several times on me initially with bus-error (I figured out what user interaction caused it - it was a UI issue, but still, unacceptable.) iCal is surprisingly limited - it does not work very smoothly with network calendars. IMHO Thunderbird/Lightning worked much better overall, but I have transitioned to Mail/iCal for now. I do not like proprietary mail solutions like Outlook that use proprietary databases, resulting in legacy portability issues.

My biggest grouse is with Mac Help - I find answers more easily on Google than on the machine itself!

Another weird problem - when I set up my machine to ask for my password, if I close my notebook without shutting down at night, it hibernates. When I open it up, I get the password screen, but after I enter the password, the screen goes blank, the machine stops responding and the only thing I can do is the age-old <Ctrl><cmd>! Oddly enough, I had the same problem on my HP, so I wonder if it is an Intel special :-)

I do not like the sharp edge around the machine - almost all PC notebooks that I have used in the past - Acer/HP/Toshiba/Lenovo/Dell have designed this better. Also, it is surprisingly heavy for its size. That is a disappointment - maybe I should have gone for the Air.

In summary, I am pleased with the machine - I give it 4*s. it has a lot of pluses, few minuses and it does all that I need it for. But I am not entirely in the Apple camp as yet - Windows-based notebooks have a lot to offer if you know how to configure them properly and are certainly good value for the money.
on June 1, 2008
I got my laptop 3 weeks ago, I no longer need to use any other computer. the computer itself is almost perfect. the screen size is great and the brightness is extremely good. I love the iSight it's great for video chatting. the keyboard is unusual but you'll get used to it by the time. the weight makes it portable and the battery can last to up to 6 hours (without wifi and bluetooth and dimmed screen) I can take it everywhere without worrying about the extra weight or battery life
I'm not even talking about Leopard (you have already heard enough about it )
warning men, you'll be tucking it next to you on bed instead of your wife ;)
on February 8, 2008
It doesn't get any easier to upgrade from an old and very tired Powerbook Titanium to a smooth, shiny new MacBook. Just run a Firewire cable between the two and in a very short time you are up and running a fast and easy to use computer with all of the data from the old machine easily accessible. The way that the Mac OS handles information, the 120 GB hard drive provides plenty of space for everything a person would normally do with a personal computer. If I were doing commercial graphic designing or commercial video work I would probably get a MacBook Pro, but for personal work this is much more than a normal person needs.
on February 18, 2008
After purchasing a desktop replacement, 5 years ago I decided to go with a more portable and lighter laptop. The market has changed since then. Five years ago the screen size, memory and HD determined the price. Now the large widescreens are mass produced and even Walmart has Dell desktop-replacement laptops.
After much searching the only options with a screen size less than 17 inches and under $2k were Sony Vaio, Lenovo (thinkpad replacement) and the 13 inch macbook. The Vaio's have horrible reviews and look like the target audience is 12-year-olds. My husband had a Lenovo and it was nothing but trouble. So that left the macbook.

Pro: Beautiful screen, small and portable.
Cons: Expensive (for what you get) and you must pay $200 extra to get the black version instead of the plastic white version. Upgrading the memory through Apple is pricey. Major printer problems with Leopard OS.

If you decide to buy one these and have an existing printer, especially an older (2-5 years old) HP printer, be prepared for endless driver updates that don't deliver printing resolution past 1200 dpi. My 1215 Photosmart has 2400x1200 dpi resolution and the 'latest' driver that I found on an open source web site only went up to 1200x1200 dpi. This is WAY better than the driver I found on Apple's page and what came pre-installed which only delivered 600x600 dpi. If you check out the Apple help site there are endless posts about how do I get working in Leopard? I've also noticed that iPhoto doesn't center my photos on 5x7 papers. No idea why. The preview shows a print without a border, but what comes out of the printer does have a border and is not centered. So do some searching before you buy.

I'm very disappointed that I can't do photo printing from my Mac. I'm looking into creating a windows partition and installing windows XP just so I can use things like my digital camera and photo printer with all the capabilities working correctly. I've been told by my Mac-zealot friends that the previous major OS release (panther?) needed a year to get all the printer features working. Bummer.

Another tip I'll pass along: buy the smallest amount of memory available then upgrade the memory using an independent site such as newegg.com. Apple charges an INSANE amount of money for memory modules. I bought the 512mb then bumped it up to 4gig which cost $120. Now it smokes. Apple wanted to charge an extra $750 for 4 gig memory!

If you're looking at a desktop-replacement, I wouldn't go near the 15-17 in mac power books. I have one for work and frankly they are not worth the price Apple charges. We bought a HP widescreen for $1500 a few months back. It's a dual boot Linux system and it is much more stable than my 17 inch powerbook.

So if you want to go small, don't need Microsoft apps like Office ( I also have this on my work mac and trust me it doesn't match up to the Microsoft version when it comes to documents over 5 pages) then the macbook isn't a bad choice.
on March 30, 2008
I am a new Mac convert. It took a while to get used to the idea of spending hundreds of dollars more than for a Windows laptop for what looks like equivalent specs, but Apple quality and the Mac OS X are well worth the price. The stability, reliability, and usability of the Mac is what Windows should have become years ago. Finally I'm using a computer that feels like it's happy to be here, rather than doing me a favor like a Windows PC. And the kicker is that with VMFusion my new Mac runs my irreplaceable Windows programs faster than they ran on my Windows XP PC. If you're even thinking of switching, don't deny yourself any longer!