Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on June 20, 2012
As the first few episodes in an amazing series, these are awesome. They set up the plot and drama really well. There are some cheesy scenes (like Light using his pen like a sword) but they don't detract from the fact that this is a very serious, mature drama and definitely not meant for children. One of my friends saw me watching this and was like "aren't you too old for cartoons?" but once I sat her down and made her watch the first episode with me, she agreed that it was great and definitely not for kids. There is nothing in this volume that is particularly violent (even the deaths are just heart attacks) but it IS a story about a mass murderer and a death god. Show it to children with great care, or not at all. Sometimes the actors do use swear words, but once again, it is not very often. I love how you can watch it in original Japanese as well. Some of the japanese voice actors are much better than the American ones. Light's english VA, however, beats out his japanese one, imo. The evil laugh is perfectly psychotic and he captures Light's sociopathy and "innocence" perfectly. Ryuk's voice actor never seemed to fit (I could only keep imagining the OVER 9000!!! crap each time I heard him), but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the series.
on November 6, 2007
Superb psychological thriller.
Brilliant but insane college student Light Yagami begins a deadly game of cat and mouse with a mysterious detective when the 'Death Note'-a powerful instrument of destruction from the Gods-falls into the wrong hands. Light decides to create a 'Perfect World' where he alone decides who lives and dies, and as the criminals of the world begin dropping dead a quirky but renowned detective known only as 'L' begins to close in on the killer...and a stunning battle of wits ensues. Gorgeous animation curtesy of Studio Madhouse (X/1999, Gunslinger Girl), incredibly beautiful music, edge-of-your-seat action, and some surprisingly emotive moments Death Note is instantly a modern classic.
A quick note on the english dub-from what I've seen so far (2 epsiodes) it is SUPERB-L's VA is the furthest cry from his japanese counterpart yet manages to make the role entirely his own in a sophisticated, smooth, performance with just a hint of british accent. Brian Drummond's Ryuk sounds so brilliantly creepy-just like the original-that when they cackle evilly you can barely hear any difference. Probably of most importance, while Brad Swaille sounds vocally like Mamoru Miyano's english speaking twin, he just cannot hit the right note of emotion and tenderness that was in Miyano's Light Yagami. For me, listening to that beautifully gentle yet cold voice while watching Light's descent into madness was inescapebly one of the most effective things about Death Note, and his performance especially in the final epsiode sounded so emotionally realistic and harrowing it brought me to tears. Amazing stuff, and because of this I will always favour the sub-though I may flick over to listen to L once in a while :3 Give both language tracks a try since this is a series blessed with above-par actors in both.
Easily the most amazing anime I've seen in years, it will have its hooks in you from the first episode until the perfect finale. Don't miss it this november.
on October 25, 2012
Never did I realize until my son got me hooked into this script, which is very creative, that I would enjoy anime so much. Now I am hooked. However, I have been informed that Deathnote is truly one of the most popular anime series, so it may be hard to find a theme that is so well conceived.
on February 12, 2017
Amazon Executive 1: Hey, since no one watches anime for the visuals, let’s REDUCE THE SCREEN to 66% and put the subtitles under that!
Amazon Executive 2: Wow, what a GREAT IDEA! Then people with large screens will feel like they have small ones, and people with small screens won’t be able to see the visuals AT ALL -- but at least they know they’ll be able to read the subtitles!

Thanks a lot, Amazon, for doing what no one ever, ever asked for. Sheesh.
on October 29, 2008
Not being an avid Japanese anime viewer, I was - at first - hesitant when I was shown Death Note by a friend. He told me it wasn't like normal anime (see also: screaming death explosions in "Dragonball Z", earth-shattering battles in "InuYasha", etc.) which interested me. I began watching it and became instantly hooked.

The story isn't entirely about the freakish notebook known as the Death Note. It's about the morality in what's right and wrong about what to do with those who have committed human atrocities and yet still are allowed to live in human society. Killers who roam the streets and kill time and time again and somehow slip through the fingers of the justice system.

The story of the Death Note surrounds one young man named Light Yagami and his efforts to end the consistent tragedies in the human world. And through his efforts, he decides he will become the "God of the New World" once the world is "cleansed of evil". But is consistently hounded and investigated by a mysterious world-famous detective known only as "L".

Not to be missed.
on December 12, 2014
Favorite anime series to date. I've recommended this to friends and have received comments like "not enough action" and "slow". There is action in this series,but it is not non stop and Death Note is more of a psychological thriller. The animation is gorgeous and the story line along with character development is intelligent and beautifully orchestrated. While this series is not for Naruto or SAO fans, Psycho Pass fans may enjoy it.
on January 9, 2017
I wish I could give this show 10 stars. I have watched and re-watched death note several times and it never ceases to amaze me. This is a perfect intellectual thriller for anyone seeking an awesome strategic anime that is totally mind blowing
on April 4, 2008
Okay, I know it's true that anime is typical for opening and closing their shows with very annoying songs for the credits, and after enough exposure becomes somewhat entertaining, but this does NOT bring "Death Note" down in the least!

This will remain in my top 5 favorite animes of all time, always. I loved the manga unquestionably and simply admire how well it was faithfully adapted into a TV series. The 3 live action movies out so far are just deplorable, a bit entertaining, but don't do the story justice. The TV series? Oh yes, and I don't think any other medium can come close to doing the manga justice like this.

If you loved the manga, then you'll get a kick out of seeing the memorable moments play out so beautifully. I know some people hold skepticism, but give it a chance, watch it straight through, then make up your mind. As for me, I must acquire all the volumes and watch these episodes religiously. This is by far one of the best stories I have ever come across.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2016
Good show
on May 29, 2017
It is a nice change to be rooting for the villain to get away with it. Great story with some great characters.