Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

The Ultimate Collection
Format: Audio CD|Change

What can I say except that when she left us, we lost one of the best singers ever, a huge loss. Fortunately, she left a legacy of music, a long string of memorable hits. When I hear each one, it takes me back to a certain point in my life in the 80's, 90's and beyond. Hearing her enthusiasm on the upbeat numbers and her emotion on the ballads is still a thrill. My two favorites are one of each: "How Will I Know" and "One Moment In Time", but of course there is more, much more. This collection includes most of her important hits, and as other reviewers have pointed out, it has the original versions of "How Will I Know" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", instead of the remixes found on the 2-cd collection "Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits". It does not include "You Give Good Love", "All The Man I Need", "All At Once", "If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful", "I Believe In You And Me", "Queen Of The Night" or "The Star Spangled Banner", all of which are included on the 2-cd set. But it does include a song the other collection omits, namely "When You Believe", the duet with Mariah Carey. I have both sets so I am covered.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 12, 2018
The greatest female voice of this or any generation, hands down. Whitney definitely benefitted from talented songwriters and producers providing her with stellar material, but her voice is what puts these songs over the top and into iconic territory. There are a few songs on here that are no great shakes song-wise, but that voice made hits out of them. We may never hear another voice like that again.
on March 29, 2012
Since her passing, I've felt compelled to refamilliarize myself with her songs. I got a little caught up watching her music videos and concert performances posted on Youtube recently and have watched her movies over, again. She was so young when she did "The Body Guard" but her singing and song choices in that movie have become legendary. She is legendary and it saddens me that I didn't appreciate her more while she was here. I can't imagine witnessing a talent like hers in my lifetime again. I was surprised when I heard the Whitney and Mariah duet. I had always given Mariah the credit for that song because it was in her #1's CD. I never realized Whitney sang with her. Between the two, it's evident that Whitney surpasses Mariah. I think she had a voice that surpasses all of the singing legends. When I'm listening to Whitney I feel connected to the emotion in her song. She tells a story when she sings and I'm drawn to the story because of how she sings it. She can quite literally sing me into tears.

In choosing which CD's to buy I looked at all that were offered on Amazon and cross checked the tracks. I was able to come up with three CD's that gave me all of her hits and other songs that had become my personal favorites over the years. Her rendition of the Isley Brothers "For the Love of You" is one I could never tire of. I was able to come up with three CD's that accomplished it all for me. They are "Love Whitney," "Ultimate Collection" and "My Love Is Your Love."
on February 12, 2012
I'm so glad I purchased this CD. All of my favorites are included!! I've been feeling profoundly sad upon hearing the news of her untimely death. Those of us who love her music, wanted her to come back and grace us with more of her awesome gift. All of the recordings on this CD are studio recordings, which I prefer over concert performances.

She is the Gold Standard when it comes to female vocal artists. "I'll Always Love You", is my absolute favorite of all of her songs. This song alone is worth the price of this CD. As sad as I am about her passing, I thank God that she lived, and blessed us with her incredible talent.

I have three grandchildren under the age of six, and I want to expose them to music that is timeless. Music that transcends generations. I had older siblings who exposed me to artists like Dakota Staton, Gloria Lynn, Nina Simone, Nancy Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, Cannonball Adderly, Stanley Turrentine, etc. So, as a youngster growing up, I had an appreciation and respect for artists who were great at their craft. I want my grandkids to grow up with that same appreciation.
55 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 12, 2012
Sad to hear of Whitney Houston's passing last night (February 11, 2012). Such an incredible talent and a gorgeous girl, but unfortunately, her life went downhill in later years (and, according to friends and family, Bobby Brown had nothing to do with it, despite the conventional wisdom). Cissy Houston, in her 2013 book, Remembering Whitney, now partially blames Bobby, contrary to what she said in interviews after Whitney's death. Who knows?

I had her first album (now available as Whitney Houston (The Deluxe Anniversary Edition) (CD/DVD)) on vinyl years ago. I bought her Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits in 2000, but was disappointed because the second disc contains mostly remixes, instead of the original hit versions. I do have the CD single of The Star-Spangled Banner, which I consider to be the best contemporary version of our National Anthem ever. My favorite traditional version: The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Worst version: Jimi Hendrix' Woodstock "rendition," which I associate with flag-burning. But I digress.

I'm glad I found this single-disc collection of hits. The Essential Whitney Houston is nothing more than a repackage of the 2000 album. I hope Sony/Arista will compile a better collection for the U.S. market. Whitney deserves better, and so do her fans. Rest in peace, sweetie...

UPDATE: RCA Records (Sony folded Arista into RCA in late 2011) released I Will Always Love You: The Best Of Whitney Houston on November 13, 2012. Ultimate Collection is the better buy, because it contains "One Moment In Time," which is one of my favorites, and not on the new collection.

Tracks on THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION that are not on I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU:

"One Moment In Time"
"When You Believe"
"Run To You"
"If I Told You That"
"It's Not Right But It's Okay"

Tracks on I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU that are not on THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION:

"You Give Good Love"
"All The Man That I Need"
"I Believe In You And Me"
"I Look To You" (duet with R. Kelly - previously unreleased)
"Never Give Up" (previously unreleased)

Look at both collections and judge for yourself. I'm staying with THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION.

And sadly, Whitney's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, joined her mom in Heaven, on July 26, 2015. Rest in peace, dear Bobbi, and tell your mom that we miss her on Earth.
22 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 12, 2012
I'm listening to Whitney's great songs and beautiful voice with a mixture of sadness and gratitude! Gratitude for the joy that her recordings have given me through the years, but with the sadness that she's been taken from us too soon!
What is really fascinating and moving to me is the realization that I took her beautiful voice for granted for so long....it's almost like I'm listening to all of these songs for the very first time and I mean REALLY listening and hearing that rich, rich tone and marvelous range she possessed!
The lineup of songs is perfect for those of us who are already fans and for a younger generation who are just getting acquainted with her music!
Almost all of these songs bring back fond memories of people, places, and events in my life....Thank You For That and R.I.P. Whitney!!!
Ultimate Collection by Whitney Houston showcases many of the classics from the late singer’s career. I remember hearing many of these songs on the radio and seeing some of the music videos on television (her music was played a lot on the radio and television during the 90’s). There are 18 songs on this collection (I personally enjoy So Emotional and I’m Every Woman the most from this collection). Ultimate Collection by Whitney Houston is great for those who are open to listening to late 80’s, 90’s, and early 2000’s pop music.
on January 4, 2013
I love Whitney Houston, she was a true gift to music, sad what happened. That being said, if you love Whitney you will want this cd. I found it to be more complete then the 2007 release of her Greatest Hits. The 2007UK import one disc Ultimate Collection has all the real hits on one cd and none of the remix stuff that is crammed onto the 2007 US release of her Greatest Hits. To be fair though the 2007 US release of her greatest hits does have one thing the Ultimate Collection does not. That is Whitney singing the Star Spangled Banner. If you want that and it's no remix, you will need to buy the 2007 US release of the Greatest Hits.
on February 10, 2018
Truly the ultimate collection of classics sung by the best R&B/pop voice of the generation. A must for your collection.
on February 12, 2013
she'll always be one of my very fave artists and i don't care what her personal problems were, she was just amazing!! nobody can take that away from her!! fantastic collection for those of you who grew up in the 80s like me, or just love her beautiful voice!! you all know she can sing...no need for me to elaborate, you'll love this collection!! her music is still fun and inspiring to listen to. i just can't imagine the 80s without her. you'll love this collection!! :)