Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on June 22, 2010
I had to upgrade the firmware (free on their website, easy to do (run it like a show and it upgrades)

Once that was done, its been perfect. I can play anything, any format, off my NFS mount, my USB drive or
a SAMBA share although I gave up on this method for the NFS share.

I wish it had a universal remote but every other feature I'm wanting is built in.

It works on my LCD TV and on my old CRT based TV. Its lightweight and moves around easily.
on September 3, 2009
This is one of the best equipment I have ever bought. Connection is easy, sharing is easy, player is good.

But the Turkish langueage support for the subtitles is still missing and menus may be better with more visual affects.
on September 16, 2008
All of the shortcomings that JLS mentioned are true. No built in wireless, limited to a few manufacturers, networking limited to 4 folders, etc. But, this product plays EVERY file thrown at it, with sound, no stuttering, perfectly. And the HDMI works perfectly also. I would like to see a review of a product that can play ANY file (including ISO's), on a wired network, without any problems. If you put a 1TB hard drive in this, you have almost 250 movies to play without kids touching them, scratching them, etc. Well worth the money. Yes, you can buy a new computer that can play files, but this is different. This is what the Apple TV should have been!
55 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 4, 2010
i had this player when it woes new to the market and i also have the 7000A model with TV antenna input ...its magic , play everything from raw files from the old EVo hd dvd to the M2TS files from Blu-ray with original HDsound , and yes You can only connect 4 drives via Network ip adress but i have 2 X 8 TB LaCie 4Big drives connected to my PC and the Dvico can read them all with no problems , even if i like to play Blu ray .ISO files !:):).

and i also have at this moment the Popcorn C-200 and Qnap-1000 network player , because they support my second language -Polish and im looking for a gift for my family , but i have to return them ...they cant play ....anything i mean if You just like to play SD files and have stereo in You mind then go for it .

so after more then 3 Year I still have to come back to Dvico players , they simply the best and most simple to use players , and all i need is to hope for the future updates that i will have full color HD control screen with art covers and posters from my Video library , like Boxee or XBMC !

hope this will help .
on December 20, 2008
I will start off with the bad:

Lack of ability to create a playlist over a network. IE:smb://yourserver/yourfiles/

- It forces you to have everything sitting local to the box. This was a big turn off for me since I have 4TB of media on a home server.

Lack of file filters

- If you browse pictures it will show you movies and more. If your browsing music you have to thumb through the 1000's of cover art your system might have generated. A simply file filter of music types such as |*.mp3|*.wav|*.m4p|*.flac etc. would have worked perfectly for this.

Firmware Updates wipe all settings

- If you apply firmware updates it deletes all previous saved settings. So you changed to HDMI you now have to hook a component cable up to "see" the system and set it back to HDMI.

With those cons said I can honestly say that this device is the best all-in-one media streaming portal around. Easy to setup and extremely reliable.

It plays AVCHD natively which is a huge plus for any Sony HD Camcorder

I have yet to find an piece of media that this box will not play.

It allows you to SMB mount as well as NFS mount.

There are claims of SMB being much slower, which are true.

However I am streaming 15-20GB HD files with out a single skip or stutter.

The videos that stuttered on me were my own fault. I had converted them to play specifically through my xbox360 and it did some funky things to the aspect ratio which this box tried to correct. (Creating a delay)

If my XB360 was more reliable I probably would have never purchased this device, so for this reason thank you Microsoft for putting out such a trash console.

Simply put my wife uses this system all the time. We have ripped my Sesame Street videos from our collection for my son and have everything sitting in one place now.

No more plastic.

On to support, DViCo is a smaller company so the support is a bit delayed but sufficient.

They listen to "wish list" request but don't expect a very fast turn around.

I have owned previous devices from them so I know what they are all about in that regard.

I would give the support staff 4/5 stars.

The missing star is simply based on turnaround time & lack of detail in the instruction manual.

Overall you cannot be disappointed with this purchase. (unless the system is DOA)

If you are disappointed with this system then contact me and I will gladly buy it from you!!!!

Great job guys.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 8, 2009
After building a few HTPCs, I have a few friends who have this model. I was never a big fan of similar products like popcorn hour and apple tv (coming from a person who loves apple, the apple tv is highly overrated).
However, the 6500a makes everything so easy. Someone stated that it forces everyone to have media locally, but I have one friend who feeds off his NAS from a powerline network without any problems.
This thing is awesome.
on July 3, 2008
Buy it if you need to play Matroska, as it is one of the very few media players that offer such ability.

Weak points: expensive, does not have built-in wireless. Speaking of wireless support, must spend extra for USB type wireless adapter, and support limited to 2 or 3 manufacturers. Only 48bit WEP security available.
Pain to set up networking, may only access up to 4 shared folders (and have to set up each and everyone manually, including specifying the IP address).

Get the MD-350/450 if you don't need MKV. Cheaper, built-in wireless and a much easier set-up process.
66 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 5, 2010
I have the device and it surprises me that hardly any reviews mention its user-unfriendliness. The navigation through your files is based on old-school file-structures. If you have e few thousand music files, you can't search on eg artist, album or genre but have to go file by file.

Why isn't it possible to navigate like most media-players (hard- and software)? Of course it's nice this machine can read all the different formats but in the end intuitive usability is the issue. I'm sorry I bought it and spent hours of surfing the net for answers.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.