Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on December 30, 2008
I purchased this camera as a gift and tested it beforehand to see if it was friendly enough for a novice digital camera user. I've been using a DSLR for a while, so I've adjusted my frame of reference for this review.
The camera has a good solid feel in the hand, and the view screen has good resolution and shows the image smoothly. I compared this camera to several other similar cameras in an electronics store before I bought it at amazon. The reason this one appealed the most was that the buttons don't get in the way when you're trying to take a picture. Some other cameras have wheels that stick out from the side of the camera, so it's very easy to accidentally change settings. This has well placed and simple buttons that are easy to use. They are small, but that was the case on all the other cameras of this size.
The camera takes a second or two to focus, but seems to find focus consistently. The face detect doesn't work that great for moving targets (toddlers) but seemed to work okay for posing adults. Once the focus is found, fully pressing the shutter release took the picture instantly. The camera feels very responsive, but only if you focus first. The few times I pushed the shutter without focusing first, I missed the shot because it took so long to focus and take the picture.
The image stabilization seems to work okay, I didn't notice a huge improvement. The digital stabilization resulted in very poor image quality, so I turned that off. I found that the pictures turned out much better with flash instead.
The picture quality is very good in broad daylight, but the pictures start getting fuzzy when the lighting is not so good. It seemed the picture quality is about average. The pictures are a bit distorted at wide angles, but I think that is expected at this level of camera.
Overall, I would recommend this camera as a fun point and shoot camera that is easy to use and looks and feels nice.
on April 20, 2014
Needed to replace a Lumix point and shoot because the lens stopped opening. This has turned out to be a good replacement. It is a nice size and has some excellent features. I especially like that I can fix red-eye right on the camera rather than waiting until after I have downloaded the pictures onto the computer. Although the camera comes with an adapter so that you can use micro sd cards, you need to know that you must use the proprietary Olympus xd card to get full functionality such as the panorama feature. Also, if you want to be able to shoot the highest quality videos, you need to use the 2gb xd card marked with an M+ or H. The standard M card does not support the highest video quality at 30 fps.
on March 30, 2009
Let's make things clear... this is a good camera for the money you pay.

If you need the best camera, go to the SLR level or get a point and shoot of 350 dollars... This is a camera that takes good pictures (inside, outside) it has nice analysis, nice zoom and is loaded with features. I personally have an Olympus SLR and I just bought this so that I have something to easily carry around, when SLR is too bulky, or in places where you don't want to risk to take your SLR... (like in a sandy beach...)

That being said, I used it once... and I am ok with the pictures... (of course it doesn't compare to my SLR pictures). They were inside pictures in a basketball game, where I was able to zoom really close to a player...

The build is pretty nice and sturdy... It feels quite heavy although is a small camera.

My only complain is that when it focus on something it makes a strange noice and at first I wanted to returned it. I don't know if it is mine or it is a general issue... I will further investigate what happens.

If you need a cheap camera that takes good pictures, this one is definitely for you. If you have more expectations, and you want the best picture quality around... buy something else.
on July 19, 2015
this does NOT fit and SD card, it is XD picture card and they are super expensive for a 32MG, they only have up to 2 GB as far as i could see. i got a good deal for a 32 GB micro SD card on amazon and im gonna get a XD to micro SD adapter for it as well, im looking at 10 $ for both on e-bay buy it now option. ALSO if you do decide to do this, the adapter is for THIS CAMERA olympus FE-370, ive seen lots of comments that it doesnt even work on some FE series. so do lots of research people!
on September 26, 2008
I just got this camera this week and I love it.

Pros: The screen is quite viewable in bright sunlight. Dual memory support gives you a choice on which media to buy. (I'm using a Class 6 4GB micro SDHC card). 5x optical zoom (the largest I've seen in this size and price range.) The iAuto is pretty smart. The camera is easy to figure out and use.

Cons: I'd like to turn off the image preview that comes up right after you take a picture. The "Smile shot" is cool, but I haven't been able to figure it out completely (I'm going to keep trying)

Conclusion: I don't regret getting this camera. We're going camping in a couple of weeks and we'll see then how well this camera will work. For the most part, I'm very satisfied with this camera.

10/13/08 Took the camera camping this last week and it performed wonderfully! I was able to take pictures of whatever I wanted. I was able to get the pictures I wanted without any trouble. I played more with the smile shot and I'm getting better with it. I think it's a worthwhile feature.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2010
How can I describe this camera? It's a Jeckyl & Hyde, you'd say..

The shell feels pretty solid, the LCD screen is good, the speed is just fine, the battery life is great, but unfortunately the picture quality is BAD.

You don't notice is when you take portraits as much, unless there's something in the picture that is square/rectangular. This is where you really see the distortion in the lens.. items with straight lines have a rounded look to them, almost like a fisheye lens.. It is pretty, pretty BAD.

So if you're thinking of buying this camera for taking pictures of your kids or dogs, it's probably just fine. If you're buying this camera to take pictures of real estate or eBay items that need to show an item accurately, you might want to look elsewhere.
on May 24, 2009
I had a friend who owned one of these cameras, and I was always impressed with the quality of the pictures she posts on her web page. She attends lots of concerts and always has great shots, even at night. She has never had a problem with having the one rechargable battery she keeps charged until she's ready to use the camera. She simply uses, charges and replaces the battery into her camera as needed (about one or two concerts per weekend)
I purchased my own camera, and it is wonderful! the focus/picture taking is real fast, the controls are easy, and the options are many! When I'd noticed a woman with the same model, snapping pictures of the Zebras at the Zoo, I couldn't help but comment how much I loved mine, and she agreed, She loved her camera too. It is simply a great camera, in a great size, with great features, for a great price!
on January 19, 2013
I bought this model camera for my trip to England and France in 2009. It takes great quality photos. I love this camera! Unfortunately it was dropped too many times, and it was time to replace it. I was very lucky to find a few of the same model camera offered on Amazon so I could just order a replacement camera. It arrived yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised at the great condition of this camera, and that it is a deep ruby pink color, but that's all right, at least I can tell the cameras apart. I am very pleased with it and highly recommend this model camera.
on May 29, 2011
I bought this camera because i believe in Olympus electronics. this one, has made me change my mind. i currently have the older model FE-230. it's a 7.1 megapixel. this was my first digital camera and it worked perfect until one day on vacation, my aunt dropped it on the concrete sidewalk and since then it hasn't been the same. for that reason is why i got another one. i could not find the same FE-230 so i got this thinking that it would work even better. NOT! this camera is bigger in size, the zoom is not as good as the old one. i just decided to continue to use the old one and the new one is just sitting in the box after a few uses.
on January 31, 2013
I like the camera in general. It does the job for what I need it to do. I'm not a professional, I don't take snapping pictures as a serious hobby... Half of the options I don't even use.
the only thing that is a little irritating is that it does Not take pictures fast enough, so sometimes you miss that moment... It is an old model (discontinued), so that should tell you something.
But it works great for me to take on our trips and take pics with my daughter.