Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on October 26, 2017
The value for money buying this camera used is great. Obviously it's not meant to compete with a mk. iii or iv, so I'm not rating it on that basis. But for what it is and what you should expect out of it, you're getting a lot at the prices these currently go for.

I got it as a backup body alongside my 6D and had to use it on my first shoot after buying it. (My fault for leaving my SD cards at home when I re-arranged my camera bag...only had CF cards. But it proved itself a worthy backup. The only thing I wish was better is auto-focusing in low light, and in high-contrast situations with back-lighting. But in decent lighting it performs well and the image quality is still good by a 2017 standard.
on October 15, 2017
This is still a great camera when you're using good lenses and have the appropriate lighting. I will say that the auto focusing system is showing its age so it does mean you have to be a little more thoughtful when using this camera. This was my first full frame camera after owning the 60D, T6i, and the A6500. I've personally found images easier to correct when they're over exposed than trying to bring in detail from the shadows. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but if you under expose and raise the shadows you will get some noise in your image that does not look pleasant. You really have to learn the quirks of this camera as well. I've found the most reliable focusing point is just to use single center point focus since it's the only cross type. I've had it still back focus if the subjects are back lit so be careful of that. The battery life is phenomenal especially with a grip.I would also not rely on live view. It's terribly slow and it's just overall better to use the view finder.

Overall, this camera was great to learn on and is still very capable. I would recommend this or the 6D as a starter option into full frame if you've already invested in good Canon glass.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 27, 2017
I love this camera. I use it as my primary camera on all shoots. I highly recommend getting this camera if you can't afford the newest models.
11 people found this helpful
on February 17, 2017
Camera arrived in under two days, Even tho being used it was perfectly clean, came with all cables and extras packed as if it was brand new, honestly i could not tell it had ever been used! Great purchase, And i would absolutely recommend to anyone looking for a great deal on a Pro Camera!!!
on January 3, 2012
This camera has been on my list a long time. My only regret with this camera is that I didn't make the jump sooner. My previous (now backup) camera is an EOS Rebel XT, so I had AEB and RAW access, though, with the 5D I finally converted to 100% RAW shooting.

I still use the AEB quite a bit for HDR photos, though the only drawback with Canons is the 3-shot limit compared to Nikon's 5/7/9. Not needed for most photos, but there are situations in HDR that would benefit from more exposures. To compensate, it is really simple to take 3, then adjust the bracket without moving the camera a noticeable amount and add another 3/6 the delete the overlaps in post production.

LOVE the HD video though I haven't experimented with it enough to fully appreciate it. Did an HD shoot where I quickly grabbed some HD video and that was sweet/effortless with all the quality.

Obviously I am benefiting from the full sensor and L series lenses. So nice to shoot in low light, handheld without a flash. And even my timed exposures need considerably less time, resulting in less movement/greater ability to shoot in wind. Being on the ocean, wind is almost always a factor.

But the BIGGEST JOY I have found with this camera is LIVE VIEW mode. I use it on nearly every shot and because of it, I now shoot almost exclusively manual focus, especially for landscape/product shots. I now have utmost control to decide on a small detail to focus on the subjects front/back edge or square in the middle. This is the first time since the 80/90 days of film that I feel the post-production focus was as tight as I envisioned during the shoot.

Last night, I picked up the Rebel to teach the kids and I was amazed how small the Rebel LCD screen was so, clearly, I am happy with the 5D LCD - it's easy to take the size/quality/clarity for granted.

I also bought the Zeikos ZE-CBG5DII Multi-Power Battery Pack for Canon 5D Mark II and love it with the 5D. The 5D's battery indicator menu is excellent showing both batteries, remaining power and shots used for each. In the past full month, I shot 1000-ish RAW shots (plus some light video) in heat/cold on 1 charge each so I am very happy with battery life.

Best camera I've owned/used to date.
4 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 29, 2018
Great camera. This is the body I had gotten used to when I begin using digital cameras in school (I've been all about film up until five years ago). The quality paired with my L series lenses makes for insanely clear and vivid images. The only thing is that after getting used to using my 7D Mark 1, I'm surprised there aren't more options for video recording and attaching a boom mic. But I'm sure it's designed primarily for photographers, although the video option is nice. I had purchased it as my first full frame body right when the Mark 3 came out. Now that Mark 4 is out I can see how the body is a little dated, but perfectly fine with me because I love my equipment with a little less spotlight on them.
on June 15, 2018
I've been shooting with Canon since 1983. I've also shot medium & large format and have tried other brands but always come back to Canon. I've trusted their gear since the beginning and won't ever switch. The 5Dmk2 is my latest purchase and I'm impressed. While I could have bought a newer model I invested in better lenses. I've ALWAYS been happy with their glass. Buying a camera is important but a cheaper lens is going to give you acceptable images with a great camera. Red line glass (Canon's best glass) with an ok camera will give you great images.
on January 10, 2011
Look at most of the 3, 2 and 1 star reviews; they all mention Nikon in one way or another. I wonder if they even tried this camera or are standing by and hugging and kissing and sleeping next to their D90 and D3s's and lowering the rating for this beautiful beast. (Note: I am not being biased. I think Nikon makes really wonderful cameras too, though I prefer Canon.)

First off, this camera is FAST. It isn't as fast as one of the $5000 professional 1D series cameras, but for half the price, what can you expect? The Mark II is a semi-pro camera that will make an amateur feel like a pro. This camera is fantastic! It's amazingly fast, the ISO performance is staggering, and the full-frame sensor and all 21.1 megapixels of beauty are all you really need to fall in love with this thing over and over again. It pays for itself. There is no price on the shot; if you are debating whether to get this camera or not, I say YES! If you are upgrading from a 5D Mark I, should you upgrade? YES! Are you debating between the 7D and the 5D Mark II? I say to test them both out and see if you prefer the cropped sensor or the full-frame (for me, the full-frame Mark II cannot be beat, though the 7D is also a very nice camera.)

Bottom line: just get it.
5 people found this helpful
on July 16, 2012
I am an enthusiast photographer. I understand the relationship between aperture, shutter and ISO; I understand the basics of composition, rules of thirds and all that; watches youtube constantly and try to learn more; and I process my RAW in Lightroom because I am not a professional and just a bit lazy to learn layers and Photoshop.

I am budget conscious, not rich or anything. Therefore it is a bit hard for me to justify buying over 3000 dollars of equipment for mainly weekend and vacation shooting. I've used it for almost 2 weeks and I would say overall I don't regret buying it. I will list some pros and cons from my perspective.

Pros:

A lot of detail is available from the RAW files. A bit of brushing and those blown out while sky comes back to life easily. Just tweaking with LR, I can get those HDR looking photos where everywhere is exposed without doing bracketing. Its not perfect HDR of course, but pretty good and amazing in my opinion. And of course, the details in the images are very crisp, a big upgrade from my old camera.

The rate of 3.9 is pretty good in my opinion. I use a 600x card and shoot RAW only; the camera shows 13 shots continuously at that rate before clogging, which is pretty good.

The weight of the camera makes shooting at slower shutter speed easier. When I was hand holding my old camera(I rather not say model), I usually have bluish image at 1/15, but this one seems to do it pretty well. Some people probably can hand hold 1/15 easily with any camera, but this is just something I noticed. I think the extra weight gave me this extra stability or maybe there is something going on inside.

Knowing that this is a Full Frame camera with the ability to capture pretty much the best quality images is satisfying. I travel whenever my finance allow, and some of the destinations I probably will never go again or just simply change from time to time. Therefore the biggest justification for myself buying this camera is to be able to capture images without later regrets. Before, I had images with the sky fully blown out or the face of my subject poorly lit and by recovering from LR, I just loose a lot of detail and make everything look unpleasant. Professionals probably can shoot better I know, but I am not pro and the comfort of not paying so much for my mistakes and no regrets is the main reason I am happy with my decision.

now onto the Cons:

Like everyone said, the focus is the downside of 5DII. Maybe I am overshadowed by all the other reviews; but from what I feel, I just think its a bit slow, more noticeable during darker situations. I have not used a lot of cameras so maybe I am just nit-picking. When I mount the 50mm 1.4 on the 5DII, the focus is a bit slow, and also the minimal focus distance for the 50mm 1.4 is quiet long at 0.45m. I was inside a museum, and sometimes I'm just too close to the subject, or sometimes its just too dark, so the focusing seems to be confused once in awhile. I don't have anything technical to back this up, just my feeling. The lack of focus point don't bother me at all since I only use the central one and rarely shoot birds or sports. Its not a problem when I'm outside, I hardly notice it, but when I do, it bothers me.

The weight adds stability while shooting, but is definitely not good for walking. Having this magnesium alloy brick hanging on my neck without support is not pleasant.

Shutter is a bit loud and lower pitch. I think each and everyone have a different preference for shutter sound. I actually like the sound of short higher pitch, for example the Rebels.

Vignette and Light fall off. Coming from a cropped, the vignetting and light falls off at the corners is much more noticeable. I know different lens behaves differently, but this is definitely more noticeable.

Build-in Mic is nearly useless during recording. It is very noisy. Even if you want to record something simple, the quality of sound coming out of the mic makes me mute it all together.

The large megapixel makes my Lightroom 4.1 a lot slower. I have an Acer Laptop, i5-2410, 8GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce GT540M laptop. No SSD, just regular 640GB, 5400RPM Hard drive. The laptop is not something blazing fast, but I had no problem with 10 Megapixel RAW files. Now the full 21 Megapixel RAW files from 5DII are making my LR a lot slower. I already rooted my comp to clean out the bloatwares and tried to render 1:1 when importing and all the other tweaks I can find on the internet but it is still quiet slow. It is noticeably slow while editing (applying different presets and brushing) and slow when exporting. Its not anything bad for the camera, but something every buyer should consider, as I am now planning to dropping more money to buy a better desktop.

Recommendations:

I think for those non-professionals, this is probably the best pick for the money. The new 5DIII is obviously better, but the price is a big factor for me. For people who have the money, buy it; but I don't, so I rather save that extra dollars and spend it on a vacation. The focus is good enough in my opinion, probably because I don't shoot sports or things that are moving like crazy. All the other nitpicks such as power switch position, dop preview position, slow rate are completely irrelevant in my opinion. 5DII is a solid camera, and I think its best buy for the money since the ability to produce good image is the most important factor.

For those who wants to buy a full frame, I would say make sure you know why you want to buy it. The desire of getting better gear is always with us, and I recommend for anyone buying anything really, make sure you justify your purchase. Please don't buy a good camera like this and simply put it away in your closet after the first few month. It pains budget conscious people like me who have invested so much time to find the best pick. If you have the extra cash, knows that photography requires lots of hard work, and want to advance in photography, I would say its worth it.
22 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on August 19, 2011
I was coming from a T1i, which I purchased back in 2009 and sold it to buy a T3i. Nonetheless, I longed for the 5D Mark II forever and finally convinced my wife to justify the purchase. (I told her it helps me take better pictures, but who doesn't?) My wife reluctantly agreed and we took a deep plunge to purchase this with the 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens kit. Shipping from Amazon was fast as usual and upon opening the box, I felt the golden glow around the new device. Immediately I attached the lens and took a few test shots. Upon looking through the viewfinder, I noticed a very big difference. The viewfinder was large and bright as the viewfinder from the T1i or the T3i even didn't come close. Shutter noise sounds much subdued (and better) when compared to the T1i and T3i. I will not go in to technical details as the other reviewers have done that.

The construction is solid and I felt right at home with the controls. Although I am used to the directional buttons on the right side of the LCD display on the Rebel series, I felt right at home with the Quick Dial and joystick. The ON/OFF/L switch takes some getting used to as the Rebel series has the on-off lever right next to the Main Settings Dial. The screen is the same as the Rebel T1i as so it seems. The metal construction blows the Rebels out of the water. Lack of a pop up flash is a con, but I really didn't use the pop up flash on the Rebels anyway so it really doesn't bother me.

The main things I love about this camera is the amazing build quality, full frame, large and bright viewfinder and the pictures the L lens takes. The camera is nice and large and is perfect for my big hands. The most amazing feature is the amazing image quality. The image quality has blown me away and this camera can do amazing things like shoot in low light, produce amazing bokeh even with the f/4 and the IS helps to reduce camera shake. The top LCD is SO convenient as I have been using Rebels without it. However, the most satisfying aspect of owning this camera is that people around you notice it and ask you about it. Either way, you purchased this camera to take great pictures and be envied!

Believe me, I probably read all the reviews before I pulled the trigger and debated for months before finally deciding to take the plunge. I was torn between the 7D and the 5D Mark II for a very long time and I decided to go with the 5D Mark II because of the Full Frame although the 7D was MUCH newer and contained newer technology. For the type of photography I do, the 5D was perfect for me as I didn't have a need for a 19point AF system or a need for a blazing continuous speed shooting. What decidedly got me to get the 5D Mark II was Kai W's review on Digital Rev TV and boy am I glad I did.

PROS:
+Amazing build quality/construction
+Image quality
+High ISO capability
+Full Frame
+Comes with L lens!
+It's a 5D Mark II! What's there not to like?

CONS:
-Price (but all the features make this camera a worthwhile purchase)

I have bought the BG-E6 Battery Grip, Extra LP-E6 Battery Pack, B+W Haze MC Filter 77mm and a EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8 II L (will have a review for that soon) to compliment the Mark II. I haven't regretted purchasing the 5D Mark II for a bit. Now if the 5D Mark III comes out, then it is a different story.
19 people found this helpful