Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung X460-44P 14.1-Inch Laptop (2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Centrino 2 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Business)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on April 4, 2009
Did a lot of research and shopping and concluded this machine had the most bang for the buck if you want something that weighs around 4 pounds. I only hesitated a little because I haven't seen Samsung around very much, or even talked about. After I discovered that Samsung actually does a lot of manufacturing for Dell, and only just recently started selling laptops under their own name in th U.S., I felt better of it and went for it.

Glad I did. I can't really find a flaw, but there are a couple things I have to get used to, compared to the Fujitsu Lifebook that this machine is replacing. I'm talking about little things like the fact that this machine doesn't have a latch, it uses extra spring pressure from the hinge to keep it in the closed position. Not a flaw--just unusual to me. I didn't realize it until I tried typing on the Samsung, that my old Fujitsu had a very "springy" keyboard. It was like the entire "bed" of the keyboard flexed. It wasn't a problem, but this Samsung keyboard is rock solid, and I like that.

PROS:
EXCELLENT BATTERY LIFE (in my opinion). I've been monkeying with this machine constantly since yesterday, getting things set up the way I like them. After the first full charge, I let the battery run all the way down to zero while installing software and running the DVD drive a lot. Even under heavy use, the battery lasted 4 hours and 10 minutes.
SD/XD MEMORY CARD SLOT is right on the front, which I was not expecting. Very handy for dealing with camera memory cards.

DRIVE IMAGING BUILT IN. One of the first pieces of software I planned to buy was a drive imaging package so I could take a "snapshot" of the system after I had it configured the way I wanted it. I've been fixing, and re-installing Windows for a lot of friends and relatives lately, and I'm tired of it. Creating a drive image and restoring from it in times of emergency is the only way to go. The Samsung comes with a drive imaging restoration system built-in. You can save an image to a partition on the hard drive or on to multiple DVDs in case of a hard drive crash.

Screen is bright and crisp

Not noisy--my old Fujitsu would constantly run a noisy cooling fan.

Connectivity/jacks are plentiful including an HDMI video jack.

CONS:
I don't think these items are really negatives--just comments.

This thing is really glossy--everywhere. That makes for an eye-catching design, but you're going to need a pop-up box of Office Depot screen wipes to keep the fingerprints down.

I wish it had a 7200RPM hard drive instead of 5400. It would be a lot zippier, but I guess that's how you get the price down and the battery life up.

So it all boils down to this: If I had it to do over again, would I still buy the same computer? Yep.
on April 21, 2009
This notebook has passed the 'geek' buddies test. They were impressed with the screen brightness, the keyboard and the speed. We were on our way to Boston from Maine on our monthly computer and camera buying trip so had some time to give it a workout. I am very pleased with the battery life along with the other attributes noted above. My wife was impressed with the shiny black case and the red brushed aluminum decorative feature and as an experienced keyboardist the touch and feel of the keyboard.

As I was exploring which notebook to buy to replace my aging Dell, I had not considered Samsung. I knew they made great TV's but not computers.
A trade magazine had reviewed this notebook and gave it high marks. That led me to further investigation which resulted in my making this buy. There was a price reduction at Amazon coupled with a [...]. rebate from Samsung which softened the retail price.

The bottom line is this is an excellent notebook, albeit a bit pricey. You do get a lot for the price with the new and speedy Duo Core P7350 Centrino 2 processor, the Nvidea graphics and the DDR3 memory.
on January 26, 2009
I have only had this a few days but so far it seems very nice. Light weight, nice finish, fast, good display; all for a reasonable price. Great keyboard. Amazon delivered in one day. I am very pleased so far. I may update if something goes awry. Buy one and enjoy.
on May 8, 2009
After reading all the reviews from other users and doing some research online, I decided to buy the X460. The other laptops I was considering was the Lenovo Thinkpad T-61. I am glad I went with the Samsung. The weight is much lighter. The screen is super bright. Performance is unsurpassed. With the rebate I ended up paying around $900. I like how they put USB ports on all three different sides of the laptop. I took Vista off and put XP back on. One note.. If you do put XP on your machine and you want to use the backup restore image.. make sure you partition your hard drive for the recovery image. All the drivers for XP seemed to be on the website. The only thing I still cannot find is the bluetooth software. I have the driver installed but still cannot locate the bluetooth software to actually connect bluetooth devices. I dont use bluetooth that much so this didnt bother me too much. I am still glad I went with this laptop. Extremely happy with it.
on March 31, 2009
If you are looking for a laptop which is lightweight and has a good design, then go for the Samsung. When I got the laptop, I initially had some issues with the battery life only lasting an hour which was disappointing, but after recalibrating the battery 2-3 times, it now regularly lasts for 3-4 hours. Otherwise, the performance has been good. The glossy finish of the laptop causes some smudging. Also, note that the laptop comes loaded with Windows Vista 32 bit only.
on March 16, 2009
"I was bit hasitate to buy this laptop as I haven't seen Samsung laptops before...I purcheased recently and so far this laptop is excellent. Cute, Unique & Buetiful design, 4LB,performance is better than other similar rage laptops, good disply, key board is really nice & very clear sound..."

Amazon promptly delivered this item in 1 day after placing the order :)

This is worth to buy, if you are looking in 14" and great performance laptop....
on July 20, 2010
This laptop came with Vista, and after using it for about 6 months, I decided to pop out the hard drive, put a bigger faster one in and install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. WOW! For such a light weight and long battery life machine, it really is fast and can handle all the work I throw at it! I like to run too many programs at once (ADD), and in the past, my other computers would slow down, especially when using Adobe creative suite. This handles it so well, I can't imagine needing anything faster. Except hardcore gamers, architects and engineers, I guess. I use it as a desktop replacement, which makes my life much simpler to keep track of changes I make in my documents and spreadsheets. I highly recommend it. My back is much less sore from carrying around a heavy laptop, too. Plus the dock is a nice feature (sold separately and expensively). I have had this computer for a year and a few months, and I paid $950 for it at Newegg (on sale with rebate). The finish does show fingerprints badly, but it is so pretty when clean :)
on August 26, 2009
I've had my laptop for about four months now. The screen is really bright and sharp. It runs pretty cool compared to other laptops. The speed is pretty decent for loading things up. It's pretty light for a laptop with this screen size. I'm pretty happy with it. It's done everything I've asked for it to do and in good time. The only thing that I can't figure out is the touchpad. I haven't studied what does what, but when at times I feel I haven't done anything special while running my finger on the touchpad, it will drag something along like I'm holding the left click button down to move it and it will end up in some weird spots if it lands correctly. You have to be careful as if you don't notice it, you could end up misplacing something by accident. Otherwise, like I said, I'm pretty happy with the purchase in performance and portability. It's not netbook size but close and has way more functionality.
on July 1, 2009
Very pleased with this sleek, thin, lightweight laptop. The X460 is greatly built, with resistant material. Keyboard feels great, as does the mouse pad. Screen is very good, sound is not bad and multi card reader is a plus. The 3 USB ports are located in different sides of the computer which is great for accessibility and avoids ports overlapping each other`s space. By last, the computer has a very quick Windows Vista start-up vis-à-vis other computers, is very silent, doesn't heat too much, battery won't disappoint you and is Samsung: great look, elegant and reliable.
on January 27, 2009
I purchased Samsung 52" LCD TV and loved it so much that I wanted to try a Samsung notebook. Samsung manufactures many parts used in notebooks and has sold notebooks all over the world except the U.S. Samsung reintroduced the notebook to the U.S. market last year. I originally wanted to purchase the Samsung X360, which is claimed to be the lightest among the 13.3" laptop computers with over 10 hours of battery operation time. Since I do not use it a lot while traveling, the size and the battery time were not the most important factors affecting my decision. The Samsung X460 has the 14.1" backlight LCD and DVD/CD player along with the faster CPU than the X360. Thus, I decided to purchase the Samsung X460. I also considered Dell, HP, Toshiba, and Sony notebooks but I wanted something unique. When I took my computer to a meeting, my colleagues were curious about my laptop and asked me many questions about it. This is exactly what I wanted to see when I decided to purchase a Samsung notebook. This is my 10th notebook for the past 20 years.
When I opened the box, the appearance was eye-catching and the quality of construction was exceptional. The software installation was the same as for other computers. MS Word gave me trouble after a few deletions and reinstallations. So, I tested how well the `system restore' program works. It was very easy to do and I managed to install MS Office successfully. During the first installation I did something wrong, so I knew it was not due to the computer's hardware. Since then, I have not had any crash while running several programs such as IE, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and iTunes simultaneously.
I am not a computer expert so I don't know whether Samsung laptops are better than others in terms of booting time, performance, battery life and so on. However, I know that it has a great LCD screen which allows me to work outside. At night without lights, I had to lower the brightness a few levels to feel comfortable. When I unplug the AC adaptor, the monitor dimmed automatically when I didn't use it for one minute, which gave it a longer battery life. I had a great experience with the service by Samsung when my son's Samsung MP3 had trouble. So I was not worried about the service if my laptop broke down. The laptop is light (4.2 lb) with a relatively large monitor and DVD/CD so I can carry it back and forth from my home and office. Even while travelling, I do not think the weight will be an issue. When I work in my bed on my lap, the laptop did not feel hot. Only the bottom left side was slightly warmer. In summary, I am really glad I purchased this unique and high-quality notebook. I would strongly recommend to anyone to buy a Samsung notebook; especially, if its a person seeking their own style and trying something new. Samsung sells the most LCD and PDP TVs in the world as well as in the U.S, and is one of the largest electronic companies in the world. So if you like Samsung TVs, don't be afraid of buying a Samsung notebook. You will be pleased with your decision like me.
Amazon shipped the computer overnight free of charge so when I received the computer next day, it was a pleasant surprise.