Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chaco Men's Z/1 Unaweep Sandals
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on July 29, 2013
I got these sandals while I was in Afghanistan as a defense contractor. Through a mixture of psychosis and sleep deprivation, I believed the civilized world was going to end soon and it would be best to pick up a pair of shoes that would last in any type of condition. Enter Chacos Unaweep. The fantastic thing about these sandals is that they can accommodate thick socks under the straps - something many of the other pairs cannot. One thing I did realize is that there are serious constraints on just how much one can rachet down the straps on them. Obviously well enough to keep the sandal affixed but some of the straps do not feel quite in alignment.

Excellent hiking sandals. I have hiked with these through a variety of terrain including desert, back-country trails, pavement, and beaches. It traverses all of them with ease and holds up well under stress.

While I believe my timeline for the end of civil society is not correct - I am certain that these sandals would be ideal for that exact sort of situation. The one where you don't know where you'll be next week or next month. Put on warm socks and they work in the winter. Take them off and they're perfect for the rest of the seasons. Thick rubber soles last damn near forever. I've been walking around in mine for about a year and they've not even begun to show serious wear.
on September 17, 2007
I really love these shoes. I wear a 10.5 size shoe so i bought the 11 but i think i should have gone for the 10 because they are a little big but even being a bit big - I couldnt be much happier with this product!
on October 15, 2012
I have several pairs of Chacos with the yampa sole and was very happy. The unaweeps were on sale so I tried them. They are lighter with an articulated sole giving more traction and a softer ride. The sole is still Vibram, and I think it will outlast the yampa sole. Chacos are the best sandals, but you must get and wear the correct size. I have a high arch (supinate). My shoe size has gone from US9.5 to US10.5 over the years (not because my feet are bigger). Chacos still use the sizing of my youth. I first got 11, fearing 10 would be too small. The 11 was too big but it provided protection for stubbing my toes so I wore it for 2 months--until a sharp pain occurred in one toe. I downsized to 10 and tried again. The size seemed at first just right, but the straps still hit the forefoot at the wrong place. I went down to 9. It looks too short (sort of like a Japanese woman on getas) but they are almost perfect (US9.5 would be perfect). Almost 2 years wearing nothing but Chacos and walking not less than 1 hour each day. I have even solved the rainy weather problem (I pull NeoSport neoprene diving socks over my regular socks). I plan never to wear shoes/boots again. It is also essential not to tighten the straps too much. 2 fingers should easily go under the straps. Once you adjust them properly, they do not need to be adjusted again (ever).
on May 20, 2014
This needs saying before anything else. These sandals will eat your feet up initially. I made the mistake of wearing these to Six Flags the first day I bought them and I regretted it. The material is initially hard on your feet before they have adjusted.

However, as soon as your feet have been broken in, the shoes become incredibly comfortable to wear for miles.

When you receive them, I STRONGLY recommend wearing them for progressively larger amounts of time. You will NOT be disappointed.
on February 9, 2015
These sandals are like tanks. I've owned a pair for nearly 5 years, worn them nearly every day during the Summer, and the only visible wear is the straps are starting to get a bit frayed where they rub against the deck or against themselves. Compared to the spare pair I just bought from Amazon (thus this review), the tread on my 5 year old pair is definitely worn, but the tread is still visible and present.
As a measure of just how much I've used these sandals, I play a game called Ingress that encourages walking and exploring. Over just this past summer I walked around 200 km while playing the game.
I've also done extensive hiking in these sandals and I appreciate how sturdy they are, I can scramble up rocks or run down the trail with no bother. I love being able to wade right through a stream knowing they will dry out in just a few minutes. While they aren't the best for running in general unless you use the barefoot/finger-shoes stride, they can keep up, unlike most sandals/flip-flops.
They are definitely one of my favorite pairs of shoes and I would wear them every day of the year if I could (definitely don't work well in snow, not that the tread doesn't work, they are just a smidge cold). I'll probably be wearing my 5 year old pair for another few years before I need to break out my new spares (hey, they were on sale...)
I encourage anyone who likes the flexibility and convenience of sandals but don't like the flimsiness of flip-flops to get a pair of these. I paid full price for them 5 years ago and they have been worth every penny.
on August 28, 2015
These are the sandals you want if you have high arches. Their arch support is superior. The strapping system is complex but worth learning. The trailing strap off to the side is too long (too much slack), but even though it falls off to the side, it doesn't bother me or get in the way, despite the way it might look. I wear a men's 7. It would be nice if they made a 6, as the footbed is long. The boy's 6 is not a good solution, as it does not have the volume and heft of the men's sandal.
review image
on July 12, 2016
Ok....I am sure these would have been great sandals...I have another pair and they are very comfortable and very durable...but this style is really unnecessarily heavy due to sole composition. They last forever but they are they heavy compared to other styles Chaco makes. Not like you are wearing ankle weights...but it is just a bit heavy. I am wearing a pair just like them now...I have about 5 pairs of sandals and a lot to compare to...but if you don't maybe it is a non-issue.

I had to return these because some joker put a size 13 in a size 15 box. Return process was quick and simple...just annoying to have to do that when all someone had to do was look in the box.
on April 1, 2016
This is crazy. The sandal itself is great, but the when tightening the strap (not to some crazy amount.. just what you would do with any other strap-on sandal), then you have 2 extra inches of excess strap. It hangs off the back of the sandal and scrapes the ground as you walk. I literally had to heat up a knife and burn the plastic so that there wouldn't be tiny plastic threads all over the place. I tweeted the company to let them know, with no reply. See attached photo.
review image
on July 14, 2013
!My son wanted a comfortable sandal to wear around campus and had Chaco recommended to him. I saw these on Amazon for a great price and ordered them nearly 3 years ago and he still wears them almost every day spring through fall, even hiking. They do pick up an odor but rinsing them in a chlorinated pool or sprinkling them with baking soda (or oxyclean) does the trick. Durable, comfortable, a great value.
on May 11, 2016
I first must admit that one of the most important factors I use in choosing footwear, after comfort, is weight. I HATE wearing heaving, clunky shoes. I don't wear heavily-supported shoes for just that reason. I wear Chuck Taylors, Nike Frees and have loved the feel of Merrill Footgloves, and if they were a bit larger and were not as socially awkward, I'd wear my Vibram Five Fingers every day.
Looks are great, as I've seen many people wearing them and admiring.
The reason I returned these is simply they are too darn heavy. They don't look it in the picture, but each sandal is nearly a pound and a half.
They weigh more than the $10 used hiking boots I bought from a local discount shoe retailer. Yes, a sandal weighs more than a hiking boot.
They run a bit big, so as others have suggested, half sizes should size DOWN, not up. Any weight savings on size would help.
And their all-day comfort that some people swear by might outweigh their... weight, but not for me. I'm not hiking the AT and on my feel hauling camping equipment for 16 hours a day. I just wanted an outdoor sandal that was comfortable to poke around in the house and on the weekends in.
And I also get sweaty feet, have all my life. For some reason, although these are sandals, the soles of my feet started sweating almost instantly when I got these on and adjusted. Then they would want to stick to the sole rather than release freely. Kind of another minor pain in the butt.
This is not the sandal for me.