Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Unlocked Cell Phone with International 3G, 3.2 MP Camera, GPS, Wi-Fi, MicroSD Slot--International Version with No Warranty (Blue on Black)
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 20, 2009
I just got a hold of this 5800 Xpress Music. This is an amazing new device which shows why Nokia dominates the mobile phone market with a big choice of innovative designs and experiences suitable for each individual user.

The price is unbeatable. You'll keep hearing this line about the price, and when you get a hold of it, you'll agree.

This is the phone with the most complete set of features I have ever wanted.
The device is light, feels ready for some hard knocks, it is a little bulky (compared to my trusted E51:).

Update to the latest firmware 11.0.008, and you'll feel much better about the usability of this device

It's not quite "touch" sensitive, but "press" sensitive. This proves to be an advantage, since I'm more in control when I use the device on a bus, train, boat or tuk-tuk (a 3 wheel vehicle, with 2 stroke engine, sort of a "Thai Model-T" seen all over Bangkok).

The switch between portrait and landscape mode, is actually much simpler and quite natural once I got the hold of it.

I set up access to my GMAIL account within 2 mins.
Messaging App, Options->Settings->Email, say "Yes" to Define Mailbox, Enter Email Address, Password, choose POP3 or IMAP4, and I'm connected to my GMail Account!

You can choose the best way you see fit to enter text
1. Handwriting recognition
Took 5 minutes to get used to it. I don't quite like writing in block letters, but the 5800 handled fast writing quite ok. I'm overly critical of all current handwriting recognition products, since they don't even come close to the Newton, way back when I could expect my own handwriting to be recognized.
2. Small QWERTY keyboard
Most typically used in portrait mode but much more readable than WinMobile keyboards
3. Full QWERTY keyboard
It felt more stable than the iPhone QWERTY keyboard. I prefer to "press" the keyboard as is needed with the 5800 XpressMusic. I don't like the iPhone QWERTY key since it's too sensitive to touch and I can't type when I'm on the move. I've never been able to get used to the Blackberry or E71 style full QWERTY keyboard.
The 5800 XpressMusic full QWERTY keyboard switches to landscape mode and feels almost right that I have to use 2 thumbs to reach all the keys...almost like 2 hand typing.
4. Alphanumeric Keypad for traditional one-thumb typing with T9.

There's a really cool driving game that shows the 5800 XpressMusic sensitivity to turns. You literally hold the phone with both hands and "steer" the car!

The media player (from RealPlayer) is much improved, allowing me to play more types of VDO format files. Quite useful to get the nice video podcasts downloaded and find that they are actually viewable on the device.

The Music Player is the same. Sound quality is really good through the speakers.

The Media Gallery is a little static, with all files arranged as a grid. The N95 Media Gallery would be a nice touch.

You will soon see many useful applications on Nokia's range of "touch" handsets.
This device requires developers to publish a Symbian sdk5 version of their application.
We tested a few apps released for Symbian sdk3 devices (N-Series and E-Series mainly), and they almost always worked without any changes.
on March 30, 2009
It is definitely a cool gagdet. I took one star away because call quality is not great. Maybe it was my phone in particular, but sometimes voice faded in and out, especially when the signal is not at its highest. After I updated the software, the voice fading stopped.
Web browsing is pretty simple, as is switching windows. The full size Qwerty keyboard is great for IM.
Although not many applications have been made for the phone, it has everything you need, and it comes with a sturdy case that fits snuggly and protects. Great picture quality (the flash is a plus), the contact shortcuts on the homepage make it easy to get in touch with people, and speakers are very loud.
I do have problems with the clock though, it loses at least 30-45 seconds per day, and when I notice it is 10 minutes behind. I've read in several blogs that other owners have the same problem.
Other than that, really happy with the purchase!
on July 2, 2009
Nokia 5800 is defineitively an awesome mobile. the Toucgh Qwerty keyboard works justs perfect and is very easy to use, handwritting recognition works fine after calibrating your handwriting. Software is very responsive and stable.
Music sounds just great, radio station tunes very good. Easy software to use. Lock button is most than convenient.
Is the best mobile i tried from Nokia. Buy with confidence.
on March 2, 2009
I recently bought this phone and I have to say that It is the First XpressMusic I buy 'cause I've always been a N Serious fan. But, I'm totally amazed with this phone. It has the best features and is not that big as the iPhone. I totally recommend this phone. Nokia's the best!
on March 12, 2009
For the price, this is an amazing phone. Connecting it to the home wifi took less than a minute. The browser is fast and the best I have experienced on a mobile phone so far. You can switch from landscape to portrait mode or vice versa by moving the phone sideways, which is useful for getting a better overview on different websites. It's possible to watch YouTube videos - including YouTube videos embedded on other sites like EduTube. The screen is quite big and surprisingly high quality (640 by 360), so watching YouTube videos on the phone isn't much different from watching them on a monitor. The interface is nice and intuitive with big clear buttons. I like the fact that you have different options for typing (handwriting, mini qwerty, full qwerty, alphanumeric), although those with big fingers may need to use the stylus even in full qwerty mode. Few people mention the phone supports not only Java but also Flash lite, which means not just video but also a lot more applications and games which are supported.

As has been mentioned the touchscreen is not as good as the iPhone, but that is not a critical factor for me. With respect to the price (much cheaper) and features (e.g. better camera, handwriting recognition, YouTube videos, many additional features supported by the Symbian O.S.) I think this one is a much better deal.
on March 12, 2009
nokia xpress music is great for music and movies. Touch screen is ok . If you are a internet user than dont buy nokia xpress. When u are using internet Touch screen is very troublesome. I find iphone and google g1 very user friendly. Battery life is awesome. Overall its good. If you are not heavy internet user then i would recomend it.
on June 19, 2011
Two years and it is still working great,after several mishaps e.g several falls and getting an accidental bath .. I need to know if there is an upgraded version I would definitely get it ...Must add great photos too..
on September 25, 2009
I can do almost everything with one hand, it websurfs, gets my gmail, does text messaging, takes pictures, movies, mp3's, supports all kinds of file formats. I wanted to get an iPhone, but now I think I'd probably get an upgrade of this one for my next phone. Apple better not take any breaks as long as Nokia puts out phones like this.
on February 21, 2012
I've had this phone since April 2010 and still it is going strong - despite 3 recent bouts with water!
[Yes, taken apart & placed in a bag of rice overnight or more did the trick.]

The wi-fi has been easy to use, connections remembered - and you can turn off searching for them to save battery life.
Good quality housing, etc. LOVE the qwerty & the fact that even w/ larger fingers, gloves ON even - the screen is responsive.

The only real downside I know of is the photo quality in low light / night. Forget the flash...it's utterly useless. Hold very still
& try w/ no flash & sometimes it'll work. Video quality good.

The best thing is the sound - no problem missing calls or alarms - plus I take a lot of music video & they always sound fantastic,
despite low lighting issues.

I've travelled with this phone and no problems with getting messages and calls, or making them. Call quality good, also.
(Been using an at+t sim card, no contract.)

Due to my own stupidity making me wary of whether or not this phone can survive me, I recently bought a Nokia 701 from Amazon
and am going to have to return it because it was so *quiet* in comparison to this one - plus I'm apparently too cold-blooded to really
use the touchscreen! I know that I'll have to replace it sooner or later but man, I'm really going to miss my first smartphone!
on January 24, 2011
I am having this cellphone for almost 18 months. I should say that this is good cell overall, but it has got some parts that I am having difficulty to like it. something like being slow with bringing up the apps or extremely slow with locating you with ovi maps (gps). it is a very nice cellphone for anyone want to enjoy the music. the size is awesome comparing to the functionality of the cellphone. I dont know which one but it does not support some formats of audios. Camera is not bad for just 3.2 MP. but it could be better. sometimes you have to shake it to have full keyboard (at least I do it that way). battery is great. voice is great. my biggetst complain is about being slow especially with locating you by GPS at the moment you need it.