BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 2, 2016
My home has hardwood floors throughout so I spend a lot of time sweeping and vacuuming. Sweeping out from the edge of the walls and the using the hardwood floor setting on my big corded vacuum. It's such a process. So I researched cordless vacuums that were good for hardwood and pet hair and Consumer Reports ranked the Linx #1. The product arrived today and I immediately put it to work, and walking around barefoot afterwards I can feel how clean the floors are.

Pro's: easy to assemble, turns easily and rolls well, light weight, canister easy to empty, great at picking up pet fur, two settings (hardwood and carpet), worked great along edges of rooms and on the stairs, carpet setting worked ok on rugs (not as good as my traditional vacuum, as expected), battery life is ok.

Con's: rollers caught up pet fur and human hair more easily than regular vacuums, remove battery to charge it (no docking station, but battery was very easy to remove, charge, install)

Battery life: the battery stayed strong throughout the whole house, not once seemed weak. After finishing the house I checked the battery level and it had a third life left. Now my house isn't large, 2 bedroom; so with a bigger house a recharge might be necessary.

I was disappointed to have a separate battery charger and not a dock. My sister has the Shark Navigator cordless vacuum which I have used before. In comparison, I would choose the Linx over the Shark Navigator. Battery life was longer, suction seemed stronger, turned better. The Shark does have a dock for charging, however. Overall I would recommend this
review image review image review image
22 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2013
BE PREPARED TO REPAIR TO LESSEN DESPAIR.

There should be a rule that no review can be done on a vacuum cleaner until it has undergone 6 months of daily use. My guess is that many of the 5 Star Reviews on the Linx would drop considerably.

I loved the Linx for 4 months. It was sweet. Then, without warning, the roller stopped working. I've treated this machine gently. It was only used for ten minutes a day, with roller brush, on two 5' X 8' rugs and two ottomans where cats like to sleep. I emptied it daily and cleaned the foam filter once a week with compressed air.

Repairing appliances is one of my many hobbies so I preceded to "fix it." The first problem was evident as soon as I disconnected the swivel head. There are two one-inch long male pins that plug into the female connector plug of the main housing. These pins were dangling. (SEE: UPLOADED IMAGE) I removed the small cover that holds the spring-loaded release button and found the reason. The male pins are held in place by paper thin plastic clips. This is inexcusable for a plug that connects two bulky halves of a vacuum cleaner and is under constant stress when in use.

Both of these puny and fragile retaining clips had broken.

After testing and experimenting, I discovered that the brush would work only if the handle was twisted all the way to the right or left. This indicated a short circuit in the wiring.

Taking the swivel head apart to expose the motor is not an easy task. (SEE: UPLOADED IMAGE) Once this was done, all tested okay using lead wires with alligator clips on one end and bare wire on the other end. This meant that the problem was in the female connector plug inside the main housing.

When the cheap retaining clips holding the male pins broke, this allowed the pins to swivel freely from side to side. This motion expanded the female connecting plug preventing a good connection.

Fixing this problem is simple. Apply a good layer of electrical solder to the pins and then grind them down using a Dremel or grinding wheel until the pins slide into the female connecting plug securely with no play. This works.

Next, I applied aircraft epoxy to secure the pins back into place. After it dried, I applied a second coat. Every consumer in America keeps epoxy on hand, right? After the epoxy dries, make certain that the spring loaded clip that holds the swivel head to the main housing will fit down in place between the pins. If not, use a Dremel to lightly remove enough hardened epoxy to allow proper fit.

Total time in repair: 2 hours. Next time, it will take only 1 hour.

When doing my initial shopping, my first mistake was assuming that 4.5 Stars based on 1,740 reviews meant that this vacuum was a jewel. OOPS!

I immediately began reading all the 1-Star reviews. This is something I should have done before buying this vacuum. Lo and behold. Many other poor souls have suffered the same problem.

Maybe my review will help another DIY'ER repair a broken Linx.

Here's the drawback: Once a DIY'ER gets inside of an appliance, in most cases, it voids the warranty.

There's no two ways about it. The Linx is delicate. It is not designed for general housecleaning. It is for minor touch up jobs for no more than 15 minutes at a time. If you are constantly bumping into walls and furniture legs, it won't last long. The same goes for aggressive twisting of the handle. The durability of the plastic tabs on the swivel assembly is limited. For some unknown reason, the dirt cup has developed hairline fractures all around the middle. I had to apply duct tape around the middle before it cracked into shards.

Duct tape and epoxy are essentials in the world of cheaply made products we live in today.

If I kept every box for every appliance, I'd have to own a warehouse for storage. Even if I did have the original box to return the Hoover Linx, it would take weeks to get it repaired plus a bunch of wasted time packing, shipping and running around.

There's something very familiar here. You know how printer companies sell their printers at a bargain and then make a fortune selling ink at a premium?

I added up the cost of repair parts for the Linx. OVER $460.00. And in some cases, you can't buy just the part you need, you must buy the whole assembly. My little voice is telling me that Hoover thinks that if a customer is willing to spend $150.00 for the Linx, they'll be hooked and will gladly pay forty bucks every now and then to keep it working. What are the odds I'm right?

After years of fighting with NiCd batteries losing power and dying, the Linx was exactly what I was looking for. And yes, it is running like new again and I love it. And if need be, I would probably pay $50.00 to keep it running.

There used to be a day back when products were made in America, there was pride in product testing by qualified engineers. Trusted companies offered excellent customer service and stood by their products. Today, most products are made in China. Good luck reaching customer service and getting a timely and satisfactory solution to your problem.

Two things I will not do:

1. I will not suffer through the frustrating process which Hoover has the audacity to call customer service.

2. I will probably never buy another Hoover product.

Why probably? It seems that every vacuum I've purchased over the past 20 years has had to be re-manufactured and upgraded in some way to make it work like it should. Buying any vacuum cleaner is the lesser of all evils.

Adequate pre-market consumer testing of quality American made products in real life situations apparently vanished with the Hula-Hoop and Lava Lamp. Although, mine are still working fine. However, the motor for the Hula Hoop is wearing out.

7-MONTH UPDATE 6/19/13

We've all heard futility described as trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Take a look at the two round male pins on the swivel head that plug into the female port of the main housing on the Linx.

You can't see the female plug without performing a major disassembly or cutting away a nice chuck of plastic.

After fighting with a loose connection on the roller brush for months, I finally went into the main housing of the Linx to expose the female plug. Unless you are familiar with cutting plastics with a Dremel, rebuilding with epoxy, electrical repair like soldering and heat-shrink insulation, don't even attempt this. If you are an avid DIY'er, go for it.

I couldn't believe what I found.

The female plug consists of two SQUARE ports to accept the round male pins.

Can you believe it? Hoover is actually putting round pins into square holes.

This is NUTS! No wonder there was a loose connection. A secure connection is impossible with this design.

I received an email from an Amazon customer who stated, "I've lost control. What do I do?"

Unless you have the abilities mentioned above, you have 4 options:

1. Send it back to Hoover.
2. Give it away.
3. Throw it away.
4. Use it as a door stop.

All of the thin plastic retaining stops on the swivel head will eventually break off. When this happens, you will lose control.

I had to install heavier gauge wire from the brush motor to the male pins because the swivel action had worn through the insulation and broken the original wires. I replaced the weak pins with modified auto electrical connectors that work.

The swivel action is a pain anyway. I roughed up the plastic and secured the swivel head into place with epoxy careful not to impede the up and down movement. That's all the movement most folks need in a feather-weight vacuum anyway.

I've owned the Linx for 7 months and have made 4 major repairs before finally correcting all of the problems that should never have been problems to begin with.

Hoover was so very close to making an outstanding product. Instead, for whatever reason, they opted to sell an expensive product designed to fail early on. That's just plain wrong.

IMHO, every Linx owner should get a letter of apology from Hoover and a 50% rebate.

UPDATE: 7/22/14

I have now been using this vacuum cleaner for 20 months. Since making my last repairs, I have not had one bit of trouble. It works great and I've just purchased a new battery.

Hello HOOVER,

Forget the bells and whistles and get back to the basics. Make a good, simple product that will last and your customers will love you for it.
review image review image
5150+ comments| 2,593 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2015
My old vacuum was a 24 year old Electrolux that my husband purchased when he sold vacuums for a month at the ripe old age of 16. I don't know why at 16 he spent $800 on a vacuum, but he did, and it's been his longest lasting relationship besides his mom. He loved his Electrolux so much that for years he wouldn't let me buy a new one because "they don't make them like that anymore." I told him he's right, they don't, they make them better...cordless!!!
His....I mean "Our" Electrolux vacuum never died, we still have it. It has a bunch of attachments, still sucks amazing, but is incredibly bulky, hard to use and requires purchasing bags and dealing with the cord accidentally retracting a million times mid-vacuuming. With all its cons, it's still a revolution in my husbands eyes.
After a month and a half with this new vacuum I am finally able to write a review.
Pros:
1) I can see the dirt! The clear canister is incredibly rewarding to me. I love seeing how much filth I'm sucking up and it makes me want to vacuum more. Even my kids are excited by this feature. I vacuum waaaaay more than I ever vacuumed in the past because of this. It's very easy to empty the canister, taking just seconds.
2) It's CORDLESS!!! It might as well be the invention of the microwave. I can vacuum without limits, I feel so free!!!
3) Battery light indicates how much life I have left in the battery. I can vacuum for about 40 minutes on a full charge. There is never a weak suction, when the power runs low it shuts off. There is either a good suction or no suction. The charger lights up to reveal when it's ready again. I'm takes about 3 hours to recharge.
4) Size. It's so light and easy to move around. My kids (ages 6,5,5 &3) now fight over who can vacuum. I sit down eating bon bons while they take turns vacuuming the house.
5) There's a switch for tile/hardwoods floors and another for carpets. I have pure white shiny ceramic tiles covering my foyer, kitchen and kitchen seating area. I hate them, with a passion. I used to sweep at least a dozen times a day. Because this vacuum is so easy to use and portable, I just vacuum my floors now. See ya later, broom.

Now it's time for the Cons, because I would be lying if I didn't name a few;
1) I wish it came with another battery. I could vacuum all day long if I didn't have to spend 3 hours waiting for it to recharge. I use this time to fold laundry, which unfortunately this vacuum doesn't do for me. That's another con.
2) There are no attachments or even attachment kits available for this. Some times I want to get in the deep, dark places that are too hard for my vacuum to reach and it can't. So I don't clean them. So they are still dirty, and then I have to listen to my husband to complain about how his Electrolux could do it all. And that hurts. I'd like a small, fancy suctioning wand, is that too much to ask?
3) Hairy bristles. We have four long haired ladies in our house and I regularly have to cut our hair out from the bristles underneath. Maybe its because the bristle area is smaller than our big, bulky Electrolux, but I have to clean that area more than I did with the old vacuum. It's like another armpit to shave everyday, a small extra hassle.
4) The secret clog. I have had to do maintenance once on the area between the bottom and the frame. I used a skewer to jam in there when the vacuum stopped suctioning once. I pushed my suctioning limits when my dog ate her bed leaving stuffing all over the house. I wanted to save myself the effort of bending over & picking up the stuffing and instead caused myself 1/2 hour of unplugging. It was pretty disgusting. I recommend bending over for big stuff in the future. That may not be a con since it was my own laziness and sheer stupidity that caused it.
Overall I am very happy with this vacuum and my husband approves since I actually not only vacuum now, but vacuum ALL THE TIME now. I wouldn't do it it weren't convenient, easy to use and rewarding. Seriously, dumping the dirt cartridge is like getting rewarded with stickers in school. If it weren't already clear, I recommend this vacuum.
1616 comments| 365 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2009
Hoover LiNX Cordless Stick Vac (Model BH50010) List $179.99 (3/17/09)

Pros:
Cleans well - on/off brushroll for bare floors or area rugs/carpeting, excellent on pet hair
Control on handle - easy to use
Charge indicator accurate & useful
Dust cup very easy to empty & clean (including baffle tube when necessary)
Filter easy to clean
Stands up to store

Cons:
Awkward on stairs - no stair-handle, must support from below. I'm getting used to this, and it's easier if I use my stronger hand for the machine and weaker hand for the handle.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
Hoover Platinum CSV is absolutely shines in two areas: ease of use (switching from brushroll on to brushroll off, going between surface heights & types), and cleaning ability, especially the tricky maneuver of getting pet hair off area rugs.

WORD TO THE WISE:
I got this information from Hoover after my battery failed: don't store the battery in the charger. (I stored it in the charger and only took it out of the charger when I used it.) There is nothing in the instructions about this, but storing it in the charger can cause it to fail. It's OK to leave it several hours or overnight, but then take it out of the charger and put it in the vacuum. The battery will continue to hold the full charge no matter how long it is stored in the vacuum. (Thanks to the 2 year warranty on the battery, they are sending me a new one at no charge.)

Read on if you are interested in more detailed comments:

Price:
I am sure that with time the price will come down or discounts will be available from the $179 list. I know that the Hoover Platinum Lightweight Bagged Upright (another model in this line) which originally listed for $399 is readily available online for $300 now. (Nov 12, 2009 edit: Price has finally dropped into the $150 range!)

Battery Life:
The battery life is quite good, and I like the "fade-free" aspect of the product - it works at full power for the whole time. It does a much better job so much quicker than my old vac and I am more than satisfied, since I can get everything I want done in a single charge.

Bagless feature:
I think I finally understand why bagless vacuums are so popular, even though they are more work: there is something so satisfying about SEEING how much dirt and pet hair you have removed from your flooring. But however satisfying it is to see what you have removed, it creates an extra step that you need to perform nearly every time you use a bagless vac - ANY bagless vac - if you want it to maintain its cleaning power. With my previous stick vac, the dust cup emptied fine, but I had to pull the dust off the filter with my fingers to ready it for the next use, and occasionally use another vacuum to clean the filter because it was not washable. The Hoover Platinum CSV, however, is exceptionally easy to empty and clean. The dust cup empties from the bottom, the baffle tube is easy to remove from the dust cup assembly if necessary (which it will be, if you have multiple long-haired daughters), and the filter can be bushed off with a dry toothbrush and washed when necessary. Long hair does tend to wind around the baffle tube (part of the bagless system). Fortunately, that is easy to remove when emptying the dust cup.

Carpet Cleaning:
I have used (and liked, and still believe it is a good stick vac, although with limitations) the Eureka The Boss Lite Cordless (96 b)Eureka 96 B Quick Up Upright Cordless Stick Vacuum cordless (rated 4 ½ stars on Amazon) for years on my hardwood floors and area rugs for quick cleanups, so I have a basis for comparison.

My old Boss Lite was great on bare floors, but only better-than-nothing on rugs. (I used to kneel down and wipe the surface with a well-wrung out sponge to get the hair off my area rugs because the brush-roll on the Eureka just wasn't up to it.) By comparison, the Hoover Platinum Cordless Stick Vac is amazingly good at getting surface pet hair, dirt, and sock lint off rugs. It won't deep clean, but it will help to make the carpet surface LOOK clean, which is all I want for a quick clean up.

Ease of use:
Easily goes from one surface to another seamlessly, except for certain very lightweight mats. Rubber backed bathmats and doormats require me to lift the vacuum up off the bare floor and onto the rug, but it does a good job on those at cleaning them rather than sucking them up. It cannot be used on the very lightest towel-weight throw rugs with no backing, even without the brushroll - it sucks them up. With ordinary area rugs, however, the Hoover Platinum CSV goes up and over the edge with amazing ease.

Edge cleaning:
This vacuum has excellent edge cleaning. I don't ever have to stoop down to get that random bit of whatever from near the baseboard. This is a MAJOR plus when compared to my old stick vac.

Clearance:
The Hoover Platinum CSV will go under about the first 9 inches of furniture with only about 2 ½ inches of clearance,- you can't go further than that, because the bagless dust cup gets in the way. But if you have more clearance - about 8 inches (what my kitchen chairs have under the crossbars between the legs)- then you can get completely under.

Was there anything I liked BETTER about the my old stick vac?
Yes, I liked the way it hung on the wall to charge. The Hoover has a charging base which charges the battery, and the vac, while it stands on its own (a plus), does require floor space.
4040 comments| 2,375 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2017
This is a great little vacuum cleaner. Being lightweight and cordless, I can grab it and use it as easily as I would a broom. I has two settings: one for carpet and one for bare floors. I find that both modes work very well and is powerful enough my my shag carpet. It's ridiculously easy to use, lies virtually flat for getting under beds, swivels, glides easily over surfaces. (I can't speak to how it would work on stairs because I live in a single floor condo.) Emptying it is easy, too, once you get the hang of the two clips -- one to release the cup from the cleaner and one to drop the bottom of the cup open. This bottom-drop feature is so easy: just hold the cup over a trash basket, drop the bottom open, and all the debris drops out. Snap it shut, snap it back into the cleaner, and Bob's your uncle. The power unit stays in the charger until you want to use the cleaner, at which point you plug it into the slot at the front of the cleaner. When you're done, just pull it out by the obvious clasp and slip it back into the charger. Only drawback: NO ATTACHMENTS, but then, I knew that when I bought it. I use a hand-held for that. I love not having to dance around a cord. Makes vacuuming an easy task.
on June 27, 2016
We bought this to clean up between deeper cleanings so we don't use it as our sole vacuum and wouldn't recommend someone do so unless you're single, don't have pets, and have hard surface floors.

We have 2 boys under 6 and a dog which doesn't shed. The boys LOVE playdoh and anyone that's ever played with it knows it makes a mess and crumbles get everywhere. This vacuum more than works for these sort of messes. Since our dog doesn't shed, we don't have an issue with that sort of thing, but this vacuum picks up the rogue hair, dirt, dust, and playdoh with ease. It's fairly quiet, and the battery seems to last a pretty decent amount of time. We haven't timed it, but we can clean our lower level on one charge so it works for us.

Update: We've had this vacuum for over a year and NO issues. We love it! I’d happily buy again. The best part is the removable battery. There’s no having to hang it somewhere to charge.
on August 19, 2017
We have used this for just over 2 years and it is the most versatile vacuum we have ever had. We use it for touch-ups on wood and carpeted floors. There are always little traffic areas that benefit from a quick touch-up. It's small enough to fit into tight spaces that are difficult for our Dyson.

I wouldn't recommend this for doing an entire house and it doesn't have the power of the Dyson. It is, however, more convenient and is instantly ready without finding an electrical outlet. It is also light weight.

Two years of almost daily use and it still works perfectly. Battery life using the rotating brushes is about 30 minutes (longer without the brushes). This has remained constant over the two years.

I highly recommend this product to all homeowners.
on September 3, 2015
I love this cordless vacuum cleaner. I had one about fifteen years ago and man, they've come a long way in how long they can clean. I have a very large kitchen (about 25'x20') that can use a quick vacuuming daily. I also use it to clean up the cat's hair after I've brushed them and it's so much easier than dragging out a big vacuum. I even use it to vacuum their "shelves" that sit at the window that is their favorite place to lie when I brush them. The amount of cat hair this little vacuum takes up is unbelievable.
So while it's very convenient for me, it's also very annoying. The cup, which sits on the vacuum and collects all the dirt, keeps falling off the vacuum. I'm constantly putting it back in its place and then cleaning up all the dirt that fell out of it when it fell off the vacuum. I thought it was something I was doing but my husband has the same problem.
When it comes to emptying it, the very cheesy plastic button feels like it's going to fall off any day now. Why they put such a lousy button on it is beyond me. I know other people love it and I can't read over 5,000 reviews to see if anyone else has had similar problems but it has a warranty and I also bought a separate warranty for it so I'm hoping that they might consider giving me a new collection unit for the vacuum. Had it not been for that, I would have given it 5 stars because it's so handy.

Update: December 2016: I just put a bungee cord around the collection unit and it took care of the fact that it kept falling off. This little vacuum is still going strong with absolutely no problems. I wash the filter when necessary and I bought so many extras, I have enough to use to either the vacuum or I die! I really like this little rig but I still won't give it five stars because of the fact that the dirt collection box would still fall off if I hadn't put the bungee cord around it.

Update: April 2017: Still chugging along with the bungee cord but when I run it on the rug speed, it has the most annoying squeak! I used some silicone spray on it but I'm not sure where exactly to put it. I decided to let my husband fix it since I wasn't successful. All in alI, I think it was worth the price we paid for it, and it still serves its purpose in cleaning up after I brush my cats. Due to back problems, I don't use it every day, but I am impressed at how long It holds a charge. The cup doesn't fall off any more with the bungee cord, and I don't think I could have done better. I just have to get rid of the squeak!
on December 9, 2016
OK...I gave it a very good rating, but I have mixed emotions about this vacuum. I love the convenience of a cordless, and its light weight. I primarily use it as a "between" clean up, and use the big upright every week or two. We have wood floors, some oriental rugs, and two big dogs. It gets the hair up from off the wood easily. It seems to get the hair up off the rugs. It's wimpy beater and light weight just aren't going to combine to deep clean a thick pile rug. But boy is it convenient. I actually don't mind using it every other day. I actually like that you take the battery out to charge it, because it means you don't have to store it near an outlet (which are rarely in closets).

The downsides: the instructions were really short and even though it's very simple to assemble, I had some doubts as I was doing it. I began to suspect that a venerable old US name-brand wouldn't put out semi-literate instructions, and a little research found out that some Hong Kong holding company bought Hoover a number of years ago. The body of the unit swivels about a quarter-turn each way from straight ahead, but it doesn't really help turn the base, it just gives the illusion of helping I can't speak to the longevity of the vacuum because I've only had it a few weeks. Some other Amazon commenters have had issues. The Amazon nation also give some good advice about preserving battery life, which should have been in the instructions. The consensus is to use the vacuum to almost out of juice, put the battery in the charger to get back to full charge (maybe overnight) but don't leave in the charger forever.

I just vacuumed the rugs with my old heavy corded upright. It has a sensor which tells you when you have stopped picking stuff up. I had to run it over the rug maybe ten times, which tells me the cordless Hoover is just not deep cleaning the rugs. However, I still love it for its convenience and am happy i bought it.
on December 21, 2016
It's convenient and easy to use, and still working after 3 years. I've learned to empty frequently and wash or replace the filter, pull the hairs off the brush and from the canister. Long hairs are a pain. I've also learned that when it isn't picking up well, it's clogged. I use it daily on tile and wood floors, also on area rugs. I have an extra battery charging to allow for a longer run time. The batteries have been good. We have a central vac system that works great, but hauling out the hose is a chore I tend to avoid. The Linx makes it easy to clean up quickly. I've since purchased a second one--the first one is still running well too. It is very convenient.