Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on April 2, 2010
Great bass - but needs user instructions. On first use, I mistakenly heard a tinny disappointing sound with weak volume. Then I realized that with this type of in-ear set with a narrow tube driver, you must have it firmly pushed into the ear passages as deep as possible. Loose or outside the ear canals and bass/volume goes away. First I switched to the included smallest size earpiece covers. Peeled back/inverted the rubber domes of covers, pinched center tube part of cover at dome end to expand central tube, and patiently twisted it onto the earphone. A bit tricky at first. With smallest covers on, I firmly twisted and pushed the phones as far into the ear passage as possible. There, they lodge firmly, won't fall out, and you'll enjoy the set's robust deep bass and clear highs, lots of volume, good isolation from outside noise. Sellers absolutely need to send this instruction as a must-read with this type of in-ear, tube driver buds, or users that don't get them completely into ear tunnel will hear tinny weak sound and think the set is low quality. Maybe even return it in disappointment.
on August 11, 2012
I got these last night after doing a considerable amount of research with Amazon's reviews and the Philips web site. There are 4 versions of this earbud (9550/27, 9551/27, 9550/28, and 9551/28). Their web site gives the same specifications for all 4 sets. The best I could tell is the 50's are black and the 51's are white). The 27's may be last years model and the 28's are their new version? Someone reviewed the 28's as not having as good of bass response as the 27's, so I took his/her advise and bought the SHE9550/27s. One vendor (WesPotpourii) had these for $3.99. Standard shipping was $7.50 but I got them in 2 days and without damage (great job WesPotpourii).

As soon as I slipped them in my ear I smiled. The angled design of the earpiece is extremely comfortable and the medium budtip fit my ear perfectly (also comes with small and large tips and a weird shaped but very durable rubberized carring case. But my smile got even bigger when I plugged them into my i-pod. Even on the "flat" setting the bass is quite obvious. Clear and thumping, but change the EQ to "rock" or "R&B" and the bass just shines! Strong but clear and thumping. The buds only have a 6.8mm driver but the design gives them the feel of much larger drivers (subwoofer feel). The web site says freq. response is 6-23,500 HZ, and believe me when I say that Philips took advantage of the entire frequency spectrum. The midrange is very present with nice clear vocals. The treble is sharp and crisp without being tinny or shrill. Tambourines, triangles, bells, cymbals all can be easily heard.

Listen to "She Walks This Earth" by Ivan Lins and "Another Place" or "One Wish" by Hiroshima. You will feel the bass and percussion, and the highs will amaze you. This is the best $11.00 I ever spent. You won't be disappointed.

However, the wires to the earbuds are very thin. I don't know how well they will stand up to heavy use. I think I'll keep these for use around the house. I'll continue to use my heavy duty JVC HAFX1Xs for every day bang-around use. Enjoy!
on December 10, 2009
Wow man it's like I have a subwoofer in my ear. Figure on always adjusting the equalizer to "Club" to even out the bass and lows while listening to ETN.fm trance channel or any bass oriented music. Im wondering if the sound quality and warranty is as good as the Koss earbuds I had bought before at Walmart though...Doesn't really seem so. Their comfort is much nicer though. I might return 'em not sure yet...SO far I'm playing a hardcore gabber track (to try out the thumping bass) and the bass is wayyy heavy. It's hard to hear the lows. I prefer a more well rounded sound from my headphones. But once I adjusted to the "Club" EQ setting in Winamp they sound really good. These seem more situational for trance music or hip hop or any music with hammering bass. I kind of prefer a more well rounded headphone. You can't put all the focus in the bass and expect them to sound good. 4 stars because they fit nicely and sound rich, a good purchase for a pair of budget headphones at only ~$25.

They seem to block outside sound out really well also which is good for riding the noisy bus.
on October 2, 2009
I have two pairs of philips earphones now, my wife uses she-9500, and I recently got these she-9550. I believe these are great pair for [...], I am very happy with quality built of these and they fit very well in your ear without falling out. Come with different sizes of silicone tips and very easily seals the outside noice out. The bass is trumping, but the highs are a little weak. I listen to my music on iPhone, and I enjoy it on Tremble Boost EQ setting. I would definately recommend this product to any of my friends (I really did) because the original apple headphones are crap, and people who say they are fine with original just don't know any better, or don care.

I just purchased Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro, and of course they blow these away. The difference, if to compare, is like if original iPhone headphones are 1990 Honda Civic , and than you upgrade to philips and it's like a fine Toyota Camry, and than you upgrade to ultimate ears and it's like a Ferrari. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the more you pay, the more you get, sky is the limit.
on October 14, 2012
I brought these because one I love in-ear headphones, and two I love headphones with bass because of the music I listen too. I recently purchase the JVC Xplosives about two weeks ago because I thought it had bass, but I was dissatisfied with the bass, I did some research and came across these, and so I just took the chance and brought these. I did not regret, I am really satisfied with the bass The highs and mids are ok, not the best, but they are ok, but you cant beat the price! I would recommended these for anyone looking for a great in-ear headphones for cheap.
on December 10, 2011
I received this package a day earlier then the shortest estimated arrival time (I usually do with Amazon). The headphones came with a case for them. The audio quality is great for the price. I really enjoy the bass on these headphones. The headphones go into the ear canal giving more privacy and bass to whatever you are listening to. They also stay in your ears unlike regular ear buds that don't go as far in the ear. Getting the different size earpiece on was difficult since instructions weren't given. I realized that I had to flip the plastic earpiece cover inside out in order to get the piece on each of the headphones.
on May 16, 2011
Hands down for the last 20 years I've purchased nothing but Phillips equipment...providing they make it. Headphones are no different. From the least expensive to the most expensive, Phillips packs more punch for the money. I bought a cheap 14.00 pair (different than these) at a department store just because they were made by Phillips. Again they were better sounding than most I've tried for 10 times the money and they out lasted them all.
In a nutshell...If you're looking for a good pair of earphones and don't want to spend a ton of money. Then these are for you.
Hope this helps in buying your next pair of headphones...really you can't go wrong!
on May 9, 2010
I don't really know what to say about the quality. It sounds fine to me, but I'm not a huge music-listening buff. I just listen to my iPod when walking around my college campus and when I workout. The one thing I was looking for when I bought these was comfort, because I had the Bose In-Ear headphones but I lost them. The comfort does not even begin to compare to that of the Bose headphones, but it's alright. The big problem I have is that they don't stay in my ears. Even when I'm just walking around, they fall out. I have small ears, so I obviously use the smallest fitting "adapters" but it didn't matter. And if they don't stay in just when I'm walking, then you can probably conclude that I spend half of my workout just trying to get them to stay in. I wouldn't recommend these to anybody. I'm going to buy a different pair.
on December 14, 2014
These sound incredible for the price. Nice bass and keeps out some outside noise.
on September 2, 2013
I love those earphones and usually use a couple of pair per year. I was shocked to see that they are now 3 times the price I paid for them in 2012 (10.99)...

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.