Time for a new fridge! Thank goodness for the extended warranty ...4 1/2 yrs later...... 1st time the fridge broke and had to replace $200.00 worth of food. 2nd time the ice maker had to be replaced. 3rd time the repairman broke the ice maker trying to fix it. 4th time the poor guy ordered a new door. 5th time the new door did not fit and we finally got $815.32 to put to a new fridge. And in all that time the ice would drip out and melt and run down the front of the fridge making it just plain ugly. I hate this fridge. Not even garage worthy. Wish us luck! Our Samsung is going to be delivered tomorrow.
We bought this fridge 1 year ago. I am very disappointed in Whirlpool. I would not recommend this product to anyone.
1. The ice gets trapped in the dispenser. The ice then melts and fills the tray in the dispenser. The tray overflows and water runs down the front dripping on the floor which now has damage.
2. The crisper drawers stick and are very difficult to open and close. We have not had any break yet but there is a high chance of it happening.
3. The ice dispense is very loud. It is louder than any other ice dispenser I've used in other people's fridges.
4. The water from the door dispenser is not cooled so it comes out at room temperature.
5. The smooth door surface looks great in the show room but is not practicle in real life use especially when you have water stains from the constant drip of water down the front from the overflow tray.
Do not buy this piece of junk, unless you plan to sell it as scrap metal. We bought the ED5LHAXW about a year and half ago. We have had two service calls in the first year. We had to replace the crisper drawers in the first 6 months and the new ones we got broke within another 6 months. The design is extremely poor as the cold air vents over the crispers in the back, freezing the food in the back and causing condensation in the vegetable drawer. The ice maker does not make crushed ice. (see[...]or multiple complaints about this issue and others.) The ice bucket freezes to the door and cannot be removed. The ice itself occasionally makes it into the bucket, but often falls out into the main freezer so there is always ice scattered throughout.
This probably worth about 1/5 of what you will pay for it. We've never had one this bad.
We will never buy a Whirlpool again. Maybe they should change their name to cesspool.