Customer Reviews: SMC Barricade N Wireless Broadband Router SMCWBR14S-N4 - Wireless router + 4-port switch - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n - (External)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

on March 9, 2010
Great little router, I run it in a mixed wired/wireless N environment and use it to share the Internet between two desktops, a laptop, a netbook, two Nintendo DS, one Nintendo DSI, Xbox 360 and a Wii. I bought it to replace the old SMC G router which I had for years (love the brand, so I stuck with them). Not much else to say, the set up was easy, and I haven't had to do anything else since the initial setup - it just works. Forgot to mention - didnt have to install any software, just like with SMC's other router, just logged into the web server menu and it was ready to go. Like I said, its a no brainer.
on July 26, 2010
Well I thought I would give this inexpensive router a shot. It arrived quickly and was fairly easy to set-up. The installation CD didn't work for me, so I had to install manually. Manual install is basically like any other router out there. There are a few little quirks, mostly with the wording of things but still easy to figure out. If you have never installed a router on your home network, I probably wouldn't recommend trying to install this one on your own. If you are familiar with other router vendors and how to install them - this one is a bit different, but not too difficult to set-up.

Ok so set-up complete, on to get the network up & running. Had a few issues, but may more lie in I have a few older computers with older network cards. After a couple of hours of rebooting my various systems, I was finally able to get everything up & running. Note: all my Win7 systems set-up without any issues. Only had issues with my WinXp systems. Xbox also set-up just fine.

So everything was working well for about 4 days, then BAM router starts acting up and not in a little way. It just started continuously rebooting itself and dropping connections along with it. So I was a little disappointed.

Being that it's so cheap, I have a feeling it's a little hit or miss if you get a good one. I wanted to just exchange it, but as seeing as it was purchased through one of Amazon's third-party vendors, I could only get a refund. I would of happily just exchanged it in hope of getting a decent one, as signal strength & network speed were good while it lasted. Just sucks it didn't last more than a few days. Every other wireless routers I've ever owned have at least lasted several years. So I'm giving this router only 1 star - even at this low of a price, it needs to last more than a few days. If it was just a year or two - I would of felt like I got my money's worth.
1111 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2010
1) Price. Especially if you're a Comcast customer. You can buy the router for around $30 dollars. But if you order a wireless router from Comcast they will "loan" you this router for $9 dollars shipping. While you do have to return it if you cancel your cable, it still gets you in the door to wireless-n for under $10 bucks.

2) The range is much better than my other 2 routers I own. Dlink dir-655 and Belkin N1. I don't have very far to send the signal, just down one floor and into a shield tv nook. But neither of the other routers could access this location well. The dlink wouldn't connect at all, and required a hawking wireless n extender to connect. The Belkin could connect but got very poor connectivity. Both the Belkin and Dlink with extender showed 300 mb/sec connections... neither had performance that could back it up. Neither of the routers were able to run vnc or inputdirector reliably due to packet loss.

3) Works well in heavy wireless area. There are more than a dozen wireless networks in my location and I have absolutely no problems or interference using the standard channel 1/5 setting.

4) Throughput to htpc in shielded television nook one floor down.
dlink dir-655: less than 1 MB/second
dlink dir-655 with hawking range extender: 1-3 MB/second with very high interference during peak times
belkin n1: 3 MB/second but disconnects often with 10-20% packet loss
smc: 7 MB/second with no disconnects and 0 packet loss

1) Installation disk is worthless. Just change your network card ipv4 to, subnet, and preferred dns server to, connect with an cat5 and then type into a browser to admin the unit. U: admin P: smcadmin

2) DHCP is very slow. Wired computers would take 30 seconds or more to get internet access. Wireless would sometimes never get internet access and required a manual connection. While static ip takes 4-5 seconds to connect after rebooting or coming out of sleep. Unlike my belkin and dlink, setting up static ip addresses was a piece of cake and would connect and register about 2 seconds after making the changes.

This product makes me want to try the 300 mbit router from smc. But, I'm so happy now with this router than I don't even feel the need to change and possibly be disappointed. Even with the cons, the price and performance still make me rate this 5 stars.
on July 13, 2010
This is a nice little router for many purposes; my only complaint is that I am unable to connect to my university's Virtual Private Network through it. I can connect to the VPN through my neighbor's router, and I can also connect by plugging my computer directly into the cable modem, but the SMC router blocks the connection, even when the firewall is completely disabled and all ports are open. I spent hours on the phone with my university's tech support and with SMC's tech support, and neither can figure out why this router won't let me connect to a VPN.
on November 12, 2010
I bought this router to replace my G router to get better signal strength on the far side of my house. Sadly, the signal was worse at distance than my old G router was so I returned it. Worked well within 50 feet, much further and it was spotty.
on April 16, 2012
Well it looks like EC was correct on the shipping date foul up. Good old post office. Took a grand total of 4 days to get the router.
The router works as expected, I have one of these already and it has worked perfectly since day one, so I figured this one would as well.
After much headache in not getting my plan to work I decided I would take the new SMC router up to where the first one is hooked in to my system to see if it worked properly because I was having no luck where I was. And it did. It worked just as it was supposed to.
Turned out that a Netgear device that I was trying to use the SMC router with just doesn't like the router.
The NG device works fine by itself, and the SMC router works fine by itself, but together they get nothing done. LOL kind of like Congress.
Any way I'm happy to give the seller and the product a 5 star rating. It was my first time buying from them and it is sad that the post office had to start things off the wrong way. But all ends well with great service from EC and the SMC router.
If you buy from EC and get some ridiculous delivery time just know that it is the post office smurffing things up and not EC.
on January 23, 2011
I bought three of these off woot for $15 each. They work in general, but have issues with iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.)
Basically, a iOS device will connect initially, but after the device is locked and unlocked, it will lose the connection even though the connected signal still appears. The only way to fix it is to turn wifi off an on every time one unlocks the device. This appears to be a iOS device problem only, though my mac and my sister's pc will lose connections occasionally as well. As a household with numerous iOS devices, these routers are unusable.
on March 24, 2014
There's apparently something not quite wifi standard about these: Some devices will drop connections with them for some reason. Other than that, I can say they're easy to manage and perform decently, but I eventually replaced them with an Apple airport which maintains connections with a variety of devices more reliably.
on June 16, 2014
I bought this in 2010 for $26.99 as my first wireless router. I had no experience setting up a wireless router and I had no problem setting up this one. I did not use the install CD-ROM. I accessed it thru my browser with this URL: and the default userid admin and password smcadmin . I used all defaults except that I set the security to WPA2-PSK with AES encryption and renamed the network.

I had the router situated behind my PC and it worked OK with my wireless laptop. I expected that the laptop wireless speed would be slower than an Ethernet connection so I was OK with the performance. Then I bought a HDTV with a wireless connection for streaming movies. The TV is situated in another room with a wall and bookcases between it and the router. The TV indicated that I had a WEAK signal at 54Mbps.

I did some research online and I found the there is a firmware update so I did the update. It went smoothly but I still had a WEAK signal. After some more research I decided to change the mode from the default (b/g/n) to N-only). Now the TV indicated that I had a WEAK signal but at 65Mbps. I thought that this inexpensive router could not perform as I would like and I started looking for a new one. In some of the reviews I read about the location of the router so I decided to try moving mine. I tried a number of locations and I finally settled for having it on top of my monitor in the center. Now my TV indicated that I have a STRONG signal at 65Mbps and my Roku indicated an EXCELLENT signal. Just to play around I moved the router the top left of the monitor and the TV indicated a MEDIUM signal. Same thing with the right of the monitor. I returned it to the center and the TV signal went back to STRONG. It's working great so I ended my quest for a new router.
on May 3, 2010
This wireless router was easy to set up and easy to use. All I had to do was a couple of clicks and there was NO need for the software. Definitely a 5-star! Also, VERY small. No way you can't fit it.