Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on December 27, 2011
We bought this camera to replace my wife's older Olympus camera that stopped working after a hard drop (understandable). After playing around with this camera for a little while, I began to understand and like the multiple features. There are more features available than most folks will use but they aren't in the way of casual use of the camera, meaning, you can do some pretty neat things if you take the time to learn about the features but it works like a simple point and click camera otherwise.
With the default settings (simply turning the camera on), it works well with one issue. It takes the camera 2-3 seconds to focus which makes it difficult to take spontaneous photos and causes posed subjects to become impatient while waiting for the photographer to snap the picture. This is somewhat alleviated by pressing the shutter button partially (which activates the auto-focus feature) but this isn't as easy as you might expect. I've attempted to explain/demonstrate/teach three users but they were unable to grasp the concept. So, this may be an issue for others.
Finally, the main reason I'm taking the time to write this review is the fragility of this camera. As stated above, our old camera stopped working after dropping it. In that case, it was understandable as the camera dropped ~5 feet and landed on a hard floor. However, the new camera was bumped by my dog's tail from a height of 2 feet or less and fell off the coffee table onto the rug below. The camera appeared fine at first glance and it wasn't until last week that we noticed that the display screen had a spider-web crack which caused half of it to become non-viewable. We attempted to use the camera anyway (Christmas was here) but it eventually spread through the rest of the screen. Granted, a camera should be handled with care but this seems a bit unusual. Even the old camera's screen was still fine after a much more severe drop (and several drops throughout its life).

So, final verdict - great camera but handle with care.
review imagereview image
on October 12, 2011
This is a really nice camera and it does all that the description claims. You do need to charge the battery when you first get it and that was the hardest part for me...I'm impatient and I wanted to try it out! :- Once the battery was charged, though, the camera works really well and all the menus are easy to understand. I love the photos I've taken. The videos are very crisp and clear indoors or out. There are many settings to choose from and I just recently tried out the panorama option...it's fun! Overall, I'd heartily recommend this camera to anyone who wants one easy to use but with a lot of options. The quality of the photos is remarkable and the HD videos are also great. I am totally enjoying mine!
on July 23, 2011
I still can't believe what a great little camera this is, which I purchased for under $100 through Amazon! You just can't go wrong! So easy to use; crisp photos, macro is great! So many people have commented on the quality of photos I have taken. I just slip it into my pocket and go! I'm not too crazy about the ib software..some of the print was impossible to read (looks like chicken-scratch to me); and, there were a few other glitches. But, my computer isn't the latest and greatest. I contacted Olympus re: the software and the technician with whom I spoke was very responsive, informed, patient, efficient. Great service. For now, I've opted to use an earlier version of the software. But, you know: every time I look at this little camera, I smile! That's your answer...
on January 7, 2015
flash card stuck in camera, olympus walked me through installation of card then refused to fix problem, Amazon corrected problem but olympus lost a customer
on April 26, 2012
I purchased this camera as a replacement for a 7010 that was dropped (screen broke). While the picture quality seems ok, this 7040 camera is not anywhere near the same quality as it's predicessor. It feels very lightweight and "cheap". Also, the software comes preloaded on the internal memory, and wouldn't install on my WinXP PC. Fortunately, I still had the Olympus Master II program from the old camera so not a big deal. In any case, I'd suggest that there are better options out there, including Canon and Nikon. I would not recommend this camera. Even for relatively inexpensive cameras, there are better choices.
UPDATED after a year's use: Piece of junk. Quality went downhill fast, and software isn't even supported anymore. Last Olympus I will buy.
on April 29, 2013
I have enjoyed this camera, this is a late review. I'm now buying a new camera that has 1080p instead of the 720 that this camera has. I would love to keep this one, but the 1080p is what I wanted in the first place, I just wish I had spent a little more so I wouldn't have to stop using this one.
on August 31, 2014
Muy buena
on August 17, 2011
The camera takes very sharp pictures, and very quickly changes from wide angle to telephoto. Almost too quickly! I like the size and also the built in instructions. it also has a few means of addressing photos so that one can be imaginitive.
on January 3, 2011
This is my 6th Olympus camera (4th digital one), so I am quite an Olympus fan. I bought the Stylus 7040 for its compact size, wide angle, and HD video capability. The Stylus 7040 is by far less intuitive than all previous digital cameras I'e owned(FE-280, Camedia C-60, and D-490). I've used it at 4 parties, 1 vacation and 2 business trips in the past 2 months, and I am still struggling with learning the settings. Worst is I am highly disappointed with the poor battery life, even in power save mode - which then becomes a nuisance because it is so slow to come back on. I even turned it down to 8M and 5M size. On average, I get 20-30 shots per battery charge! Maybe I should consult a dealer to see if this is normal or the camera is defective. It takes decent pictures, and wide angle is good for group pictures.
on March 18, 2015
works well good price
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question