Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 14 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on March 31, 2010
I have had the camera for a few days now and really put it through the paces. It is by far one of the best little point and clicks that I have had and I have had at least 5 in the past 5 years. It's built well and has a exceptional battery life (275 picks per charge on average with 14 meg pictures) and the recharge is fairly quick. I added a 16gig memory card for the video recording aspect and I love it. I can record 5 hours and 50 mins of 720p on the thing which is way nicer than the Flip that I was looking at. I used to get an occasional blurry shot with my other cameras from them not focusing well on moving objects (kids) but with this one I haven't had a bad shot yet on the kids running in the yard. It truly is amazing.

All in all it's a great little camera for the price.

And don't let the other guy scare you off from this camera. He more than likely put the card in before he hooked the camera up to his computer. By the way, make sure you hook the camera up to your computer BEFORE you put your memory card in. But if you screw up and put it in first all you have to do is clear out your pictures, eject the card and then plug it up to the computer for a fresh install.
55 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2010
I just bought this camera at best buy in Miami on vacation. I took it to the beach multiple times, went snorkeling for a couple of hours, and use it for everyday shots. The pictures are crystal clear. The 720p HD video looks awesome, especially on your HD tv. No issues with this camera. No problems with hooking it up to the computer. Just plug it in and there it is. Charges fast. Takes a sd card for extra memory. I don't know what happened with these others peoples' cameras. Probably user error. Don't let the 1 star reviews scare you away.

All in all, great camera. Battery life was long. Took a ton pix at highest resolution, video, and editing on the camera, and it lasted all day. About the same size as my regular didital camera. Nice features. Best buy has it on sale for 269. Go for it
on April 24, 2010
I liked this camera out of the box. The software is intuitive, the options varied and I took it to the tidepools right away and got some great super macro shots of marine life underwater. Rinsed off the saltwater and took it to the mountains for the long shots. It is small enough for a pocket and great for hiking and backpacking - no worries on dropping etc... Still playing with it and learning all the options but I highly recommend the camera. It does all that it says it does; it is compact and burly. Found the digital zoom fuzzy and worthless but overall a great deal - excellent improvements over the older models and well worth the price.
on September 16, 2011
BEWARE OLYMPUS RECONDITIONED
After less than 10 min. video and 30 or so stills (mainly to test my new camera and brag about its features) my factory-reconditioned 6020 crapped out. At 120$, it was a steal but, less than a week after the 90-day warranty expired, the camera refused to recognize the fully charged battery or any battery. Throughout this period, despite the cameras freezeproof, waterproof, shockproof `abilities', I coddled this baby. After weeping on the phone to Olympus they said they'd take a look at it and maybe clean the contacts or something. I sent it special UPS (12$-recommended) and after a month of various delays, the service center finally said that they could repair it for 130$. Uh...How `bout just cleaning it? NO. Diagnosing? NO. After threatening bad reviews they lowered the price to 73$--as you can see, I'd rather warn you guys.
on August 4, 2011
After some basic research for a camera to be used solely for vacations to tropical locations, I settled on the Olympus Tough 6020 camera. I was sold on the features of the camera, particularly the ability shoot pictures and video under water. What a mistake.
In the month of July 2011, my girl friend and I took a cruise to the Caribbean and on the second island stop of our cruise my camera died. I sadly discovered later that water had collected in the camera. My girlfriend and I had booked an excursion to swim with sting rays that day and unfortunately I was unable to capture some of the most significant portions of that event to my camera failure. Consequently, I was forced to purchase over the counter instant cameras to chronicle the remainder or our trip which consisted of 3 days. Not only did I lose a few pictures that were shot on the cameras hard drive (luckily I shoot the majority of the trip on memory flash card), but I lost my ability to video the last three days of our vacations.
Since returning home, I have returned my camera and in fairness Olympus fixed and returned it within two weeks. Nonetheless, after further investigation it is obvious I am not the only one who has purchased this camera and has had similar outcomes. I, like the other reviews I have read, made sure that my camera was locked and that I did not go below the water levels indicated in the manual (never went lower than 6 feet of water). Consequently, it is clear to me that this camera does not support what it advertises. My suggestion to Olympus is fix the seal problems for this camera or stop advertising that it can take pictures under water. My vacation was altered by the fact that the camera didn't do what it said it could do and I will never be able to capture some of the memories I lost due to a defective product. As it stands now, Olympus has lost my patronage for any of their products in the future. I definitely, have no confidence in putting this camera in the water ever again.
on August 11, 2010
After punishing this poor little camera all summer, i've gotta say i am deeply impressed with it. The case is now scratched and a bit worn from all the abuse i've put it through, and not only is it still holding up like a champ but it takes astonishing pictures; during my whitewater rafting trip i caught some killer 'mid action' pictures and never had to worry about keeping it dry, and never once had a blurry shot no matter how rocky the ride got.

The panorama option is also a phenomenal addition- i have some amazing sunset shots that look seamless thanks to the built in sensor (automatically lines up and takes the next 2 shots for you- all you have to do is move the camera and it does the rest). The zoom really impressed me too, especially underwater (just make sure you set it to the underwater option- i found that makes a big difference).

I also love how easy this camera is to use- my dad bought the new Canon underwater camera for our California trip, and he spent the better portion of every killer moment tryin to adjust his settings or figure out which button to push. If you read the manual on it and learn the Canon before hand its a pretty cool camera, but personally when i'm in the heat of the moment for an awesome shot i dont want to be fiddling with buttons and trying to remember how to get to whatever setting i need.

I give this camera an A+, and i'm really looking forward to seeing what improvements they make on it in the next couple years.

Sincerely,
An Avid Action-Photo Junkie :)
on July 27, 2011
This little camera was bought as a replacement to our old waterproof camera that we left at the top of a mountain (Olympus Stylus 850 SW). With much research and review reading, we decided to get this camera. Over the past month it has performed just as good, if not better than our old one. The few problems I have run into are: Won't center focus to take a picture and flashes a red box instead of green, warning that if you take the picture it won't be in focus. I have run into this twice, but I just turned the camera off then back on and the picture took just fine of the exact same subject I was originally trying to focus on. #2 thing I don't like, functionality-wise, is that when you take a picture and the review of the image pops up, you can't delete it at that same time. You have to go into playback mode then delete the picture, then go back into shooting mode. I miss being able to quick delete a picture. #3. Coloration isn't very brilliant. Post-editing required. That's about it. This camera has prooved waterproof in the ocean, freezeproof on a glacier-filled mountain, just wish it was sand/dustproof for the beach. I would recommend this camera to any of my friends who want a durable, small, outdoorsy camera.

PS: This float strap works great if you are afraid of dropping the waterproof camera but it sinking. It keeps the camera afloat and is bright and easy to see. Olympus STRAP FLOAT ORANGE
on February 16, 2014
I have owned this camera for years. It goes everywhere with me. It has been rained on, snowed on, left in the freezing temps, dropped to the ground, all kinds of abuse. It just keeps working. It still has the original battery. I use it at wok and at home. I have left it the car's glove box in summer and winter temps. It just keeps on working. You can't beat this with a stick. Best camera I have ever bought. The picture quality is very good and the video is good also. I will keep this camera for a long time.

7-24-14. I was thinking it was probably time to find a new battery for my camera, the original is still working fine, I was just trying to be proactive. Anyway, after checking Amazon for batteries I realized that I have owned this camera for 4 years. It has been a rough 4 years for the little camera. I don't abuse it too much, but it is not pampered either. I would buy one again.

8-22-14. Here is a link to the owners manual: http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/STYLUS_TOUGH-8010_6020_3000_mju_TOUGH-8010_6020_3000_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf
on November 18, 2014
great camera, for its day.

the tough series of cameras are great to follow. with all the smaller updates and most importantly the MP getting better and better. this is still a good option if you are trying to buy an older edition to save some money. but the pictures will indeed be more grainy, and have less or a zoom option.

but I can attest to swimming with it and skiing in cold temperatures. it lasted. though if you are going to take any pictures in colder temps consider getting extra batteries. the cold air sucks the battery charge from them a lot faster.
on October 17, 2011
This camera is awesome! the pictures have always turned out great, and the waterproof / shockproof casing on it makes it the perfect camera for a clutz like myself.

The 720p video is great also, with pretty good audio when played off a computer..

The night pictures are pretty good also, but you have to be sure to turn off the flash manually sometimes, otherwise you cant see anything.

One thing that i do have to warn about though, is that pictures always look blurry on the camera screen, so at first you might want to take a few pictures of the same thing... but i promise that they always turn out great when viewing on a larger screen.

Ill be posting some pictures that i took with this camera, so that you can see the quality yourself.
review image review image review image