Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2010
Canon seems to have taken a step down from the comparatively-excellent FS200 with a range of features that fall short in so many areas. As others have mentioned, the software included is practically useless, but more importantly the video quality just isn't there. There are major compression artifacts that appear whenever there's significant movement or any zooming used, it handles low night very poorly, resulting in grainy video, and the single-shot feature produces low quality shots comparable with those you would see on a cell phone.

Inexplicably, Canon has removed the audio in jack that came on the FS200, meaning there's no way to use an external microphone to capture any sound. Consequently, there's camera noise in every video, which is surprisingly loud considering it has so few moving parts. Combined with the fact that it comes with no memory (contrary to indications in the manufacturer's own product description), the FS300 feels more like a budget version of the 200 rather than an upgrade. As for documentation, I agree with other reviewers - I wouldn't normally notice a poor quality manual in electronics but I needed it to find the power-in jack, which is superbly camouflaged on the unit.

Overall, it's small and easy to carry around but falls short of the quality I've come to expect from Canon products. I can't use this for pro-sumer video capture as I had planned to, and apart from the decent zoom function there's not much to separate from a Flip at half the price. Let's hope the FS400 fixes the plethora of faults, though I'll be waiting to the see the reviews before parting with my cash so hastily!
66 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2011
This camcorder is very good. The automatic lens cover is (surprisingly) something you don't find on most of the models in this price range. It's a nice touch. The video quality is has 3 different levels: XP, SP, and LP. XP gives the best video quality while LP allows for the most video to be recorded on the memory card. The default is SP and frankly I couldn't see that much difference between XP and SP. A class 10 16 gig card will run you about $27 now and it will hold about 5 1/2 hours of video at the SP quality level. The battery seems to last longer than I expected, almost 2 hours the first time I used it. There is an important note about the BP-808 battery used by this and all similar Canon models. It is "decoded", which means it has software inside of it that communicates with the camcorder to tell you how much power is left. Not all 3rd party batteries have this. I just purchased one that did for $12.95. That sure beats the $65 that Canon wants for a backup battery. If you get a knock-off battery that is not decoded it will still power the camera, but you won't know how much power is left. The video quality is at least comparable to other camcorders below the $500 range. It does a great job in an outdoor setting and indoor assuming you have at least a fair amount of light. The video is not good in low light situations, but I have not found one that is below about the $750 range. There is a video light on the camera that helps some for pictures or videos of close up objects. But isn't useful for more than that. The still pictures are nothing to write home about, but at least they can be taken above the 640 x 480 size that many camcorders give. And there is also quality setting of "normal", "fine", or "super fine". Setting the images to 1024 x 768 at the super fine level at least makes for passable pictures. And they will probably be fine for most occasions. Just don't expect the still images to compete with your digital camera (in most cases). One more thing: there are many setting on this camcorder to be played with. The shutter speed can be controlled, which can also greatly aid in your picture or video taking assuming you read carefully how the different values can be used and what is appropriate to a scene. The image stabilizer seems to work very well, which is good because it's really needed on all of these small camcorders. There are two levels of stabilization: standard and dynamic. Dynamic will stabilize the image more, but will cause a lot of motion to be unnatural. I wouldn't use it while video taping a parade for instance. There are many other features of this camcorder that merit attention, and I would recommend going onto Cannon's site and downloading the manual to get understand all of them. That is what I did. They can tell you much more than I can in this short review. But, overall, this is a great little camcorder. I found the video quality to be superior to a Sony model of the same range. Just keep in mind that the video is not HD, which is both good and bad. You need to evaluate your needs in that area.
on October 7, 2010
EDIT: I am unable to edit videos filmed with this on Windows Live Movie Maker, because the audio is nonexistent and sometimes becomes a very loud, choppy noise. Until Windows fixes their movie maker to work with MPEG-2 files, I'll have to stick to my point and shoot camera, which also shoots HD videos but doesn't autofocus in video.

The reason I purchased this camcorder in particular is because I tested the zoom, autofocus, and clarity of video in stores that carried this. This is basically interchangeable with Sony FX40 (I think) to me, but this was cheaper on Amazon at the time, and I like Canon. The picture quality isn't very good, which is understandable since it's a camcorder, but it also takes a while to take the picture. For the ~$234 it cost me, I like this camcorder for videos but if you're looking for a multi-tasking camcorder, I'd look elsewhere.
on January 17, 2013
Being that the product is a camcorder, I wanted to wait a couple of months to send in a review. The product arrived on time and was in excellent condition. About its performance, the product is great, works great, and we are very pleased with our purchase. It did not come with the download CD that a brand new one would have but we had no trouble downloading pictures and video to our computers built in feature. This was truly a great purchase!
on February 11, 2011
In general, I like this video camera. It is easy to use, very light and portable. However, it does not automatically work with mac computers -- you must buy an extra piece of after-market software in order to use the video files. It will run you about another $40 no matter which conversion program you buy, so factor that into the true price of the camera.

That being said, however, the video quality and sound are quite good. I like the SD storage, and the zoom is great. A good little camera despite the initial disappointment of it not being directly compatible with any other program on my computer.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2012
Bought this for my daughter and she loves it. Takes great video, is VERY compatible with our Macintosh, and small and light enough for her to handle. I was actually surprised at the quality. She wanted a video camera and we were looking to buy one that wasn't a cheap piece of garbage, but also didn't break the bank. We got more than we bargained for. Sometimes WE take it when our larger model is too much to carry! If you're looking for a compact, quality video camera that is inexpensive and takes great video, this one is for you.
on February 9, 2011
Just received my new Canon FS300 - the blue one - yesterday and had time to sit down and look at it today. I decided to upgrade from my Canon DC50 that takes mini dvd's. I enjoyed that camera, but it was a pain to stop in the middle of recording to change dvd's when the old one was full. The mini dvd's only record 30 minutes per dvd and I missed a few memorable moments changing dvd's. A great thing about Canon is their ease of use. I didn't even really need to look at the manual to know how to use it. That may be due to the fact that I'm not new to Canon, and this little video camera operates very similarly to the DC50. It did take me just a little bit to find the dc in outlet. It would have been faster if I had just looked at the manual.

One reviewer said that a class 6 sd card did not take video, but I had no problem. I ordered the Transcend 8g class 6 sd card along with my camera, popped it in, charged the battery and took video. Do make sure you get an sd card separately - this camera does not come with one. This is not a high def camera, but it takes good enough pictures for everyday home use to capture memorable moments at a very affordable price. Took decent video in a lamp lit living room. Picks up sound very well also.

There are probably better video cameras out there, especially the high def ones but I didn't want to spend over $200 and for the price, this camera does everything I need it to. I've only had it a day, but so far so good. If I experience problems, I will update this review. If you don't hear from me, everything is great and I still love my Canon FS300!
on October 1, 2016
All is good, no bad suprisess.
on May 20, 2016
Dislike the product, I was sent product that was defective.
on March 19, 2015
This FS 300 Flash Memory Camcorder by Canon has been all it has claimed to be. I have been nothing but completely pleased with this product.