Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 85% on textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New LG Stylo 4 | $249.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(5 star). See all 45 reviews
on October 5, 2013
The kit fits to my 2006 Chevy Aveo.
A tensioner pulley and the other pulley are plastic as same as original parts.
Also fan in water pump is plastic (original is steel).

I've changed it at 50k miles since I see some complain on web about failing belt.
I found the original belt tension was way lower than it suppose to. It was good to find it before trouble happen.

It was first time for me to change timing belt of any car and took me about 2 days for me to finish it.
And half day to re-adjust belt tension (second time was way faster that fist try).

If you are not confident to work with it, you may not want to do it yourself. And you can buy this kit and water pump wrench.
Then call repair shop around your place to find someone who can work with "brought in" parts.
You can save some money by this way.

Anyway if you are novice like me and still want to do it by yourself, followings are things I learn from this time.

1) Order to work with bolts without impact wrench.
Remove crankshaft pulley bolt --> Untighten camshaft bolts. --> Remove timing belt.

2) Crankshaft pulley bolt is difficult to untighten if impact wrench is not used. I watched following video on youtube and worked on my aveo.
"How to use a breaker bar to remove a crank pulley bolt on a passenger facing, clockwise engine. "

3) This kit come with instruction to replace timing belt. But to replacing water pump and tensioner, the camshaft gears and the belt covers at side of cylinder block (inner timing belt cover) have to be taken off.
Instruction in Aveo Forum can be found by searching with "aveo forum timing belt write-up".

4) Camshaft gear bolts need to be untightened before the timing belt removed. So the camshaft won't rotate because the belt is holding it when you untighten it. Just untighten it first. The bolt will be removed after the timing belt removed. I realized it after I took timing belt off. So I needed to re-assemble timing belt again to untighten camshaft gear bolts. It may not be problem if impact wrench is used.

5) I started work with socket wrench set, wrench set and screw driver set. Jack, jack stands and wheel chock.
But all fasteners are frozen, needed breaker bar. I bought a following breaker bar and an adapter.
1/2" female - 3/8 male adapter
1/2" drive-18" length breaker bar

6) Need extension for socket wrench to remove engine mount bolts and others. I bought a set.
3/8" drive 1-1/2 In., 3 In., 6 In., 10 In.

7) To untighten water pump retaining bolts, hex bit and breaker bar are needed. I bought a set.
3/8 in. drive chrome vanadium steel metric hex bit set
3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm, 6 mm, 7 mm, 8 mm, 10 mm

8) When water pump retaining bolts are loosen, pump shaft may be tilted little bit and changes tension on timing belt.
Tension will be adjusted with slightly loosen retaining bolts. But check the tension gauge again after retaining bolts are tightened.
It will have more tension when retaining bolts are tightened.
Lower tension may damage the belt.
Higher tension makes more belt noise and may damage the belt too.
Because of this, I had to redo tension adjustment again after I hear noise of tight belt on test drive.

9) As others said 41mm water pump wrench is needed.
Lisle 13500 41mm Water Pump Wrench for GM 1.6L

10) Cam lock tool is useful ( I bought it). But when camshaft gears are removed and re-assembled, I still struggle to rotate camshafts in correct place and putting this lock took. Still worth to have this tool.
Lisle 36880 Dual Overhead Cam Lock Tool

11) I personally recommend to replace thermostat housing originally made by plastic. People complain about this part since it seems brake often. I bought stainless one at AutoZone and O ring for it. Original washers on bolts won't fit to this parts (washers are too large and can't take off from bolts) and needed to grind to make it fit. Since coolant need to replace at this work, this thermostat and housing better to be changed in same time.

Good luck.
8 people found this helpful
on March 14, 2014
I replace the timing belt on my 2006 chevy aveo along with the tensioner and idler pulley as well as the water pump. It wasn't that difficult it just took a little while. I advise you buy the cam locking tool, water pump tool, serpentine belt, and air intake hose because mine cracked while pulling it off. Be really careful trying to put the belt back on. Not only do the marks have to match on the new belt but the two cam markings must face each other WHILE the crankshaft pulley notch is pointing down. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
3 people found this helpful
on March 6, 2014
Its Gates and they make great belts. Water pump wheel is plastic though. Should be no problem though. Went cheap from ebay last time and destroyed my engine with a belt failure at 10.000 miles. $1500.00 in repairs. New Head!!!!. Advice.... Don't buy cheap.
2 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2018
worked fantastically! 30000 in with it!
on May 16, 2017
Installed in my 2006 Chevy Aveo. Corrected a leaking water pump and works as advertised. I do not suggest trying this yourself unless you're mechanically inclined. Otherwise it's a great project for a youngster learning to work on cars.
on March 17, 2017
Perfect fit for my 2005 Aveo
on March 22, 2016
Gates belts are famous for being the best, so go with this one, my mechanic said I made a good choice.
on January 4, 2014
Best price I could find. Took it to my mechanic shop and had it installed. All in all it cost $300 which is far lower than getting the parts through the shop.
on February 21, 2016
High quality product. Exceed my expectations
on July 4, 2018
Works great and installed without a hitch on my 2006 Chevy Aveo LS.