Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 8, 2011
Spend 150 more and buy HDC-SD60 the high def panasonic camcorder.

I had just ordered an HDC-SD60 Panasonic with 25X zoom but was intrigued with the large zoom of this standard definition camcorder. Got this one at amazon for $150, but ended up returning it within a day.
This has nice optical image stabilized zoom but video quality is awful indoors and barely acceptable outdoors. If you need a telescope with basic recording than it probably is OK. To be fair this one would have been great for outdoor recording before the advent of HD, but cannot compete anymore.
If your budget is around 150-200, get a digital point and shoot with atleast 10x zoom. The video quality for those is better than this one and the zoom of 10x usually is sufficient for most shooting situations. Or stretch your budget a little bit and get the HD one like I did.
[...]
on February 27, 2013
I bought this camera a year ago from amazon for $150. It comes with a battery, charger unit and VideoCam suite 3 software. Software allows copy to computer, disks or upload to youtube. You need to buy a SD card for this camera. It will store individual pictures and/or videos. It takes a while to learn the computerized menu on the 2" screen. The toggle buttons are small and take getting use to. The outdoor pictures/videos are very good. The indoor ones are somewhat dark but viewable, just need to get the lighting right. The built-in microphone picks up sound over 20' away. The zoom is overkill. There is no way you can hold the camera still enough by hand at max zoom. I like the way this camera fits in one hand.
on December 2, 2017
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 31, 2017
Love it!
on October 4, 2012
This camera was purchased as a refurbished product and I have to say that the seller sent this in great condition and that it has worked flawlessly since being received and used by my younger son.
He has had many hours of enjoyment with it and the quality is pretty good considering the options that this unit has on it. The bottom line is that the camera takes good videos and pictures and that for everyday use fits the bill.
If you are looking for a quick point and shoot camera for family use this camera delivers. There is a newer model of this camera (SDR S70S)now available and the rating is similar to what this has.
on January 22, 2011
I have only given this camera limited use, but it seems to do just about everything I could ask. When viewing the results on a 32" LCD TV, the images are equivalent to the other two video cameras I have used; a Sony analog cassette camera, and a Canon DV mini-cassette camera. Zoom range is very useful, and low-light results are better than other reviews led me to expect. A very worthwhile buy.
Lou
on January 24, 2011
I purchased this camera as a gift and I was looking for something small and handy to be used for personal shooting and this serves the purpose although the quality is not so good since it being a standard definition camera. If you are looking for something to have good video quality, I would suggest to go for HD camcorder. For the price of this device and the quality, I would rate it 4.5 on 5. One more thing, the video quality in dark situations is really not acceptable.
on March 20, 2014
The zoom goes so far that you cant breathe if you want to see what you are doing. Pretty impressive. I wouldn't pay more than $60 for this thing. I checked on youtube to see the quality before I bought it and this doesn't compare, even after messing with all the settings
on July 16, 2011
This camcorder makes you feel like a spy. Its zoom during the day and clarity is great, it is true that in dim light the picture quality is not great but in the long run and for the price its not bad at all. The battery that comes with the camcorder does not have much legs so its best to buy the 1790 battery at least and leave the battery that comes with the camcorder as the backup. All in all very happy with camcorder so far.
on April 30, 2013
I purchased this camera for my husband as a gift. When it arrived and I saw how light weight it was, I thought I had made a mistake. It turned out to be a great camera - especially for the price. We have used it for many different occasions and recorded many happy memories with it. Overall, I am very pleased with the product.