Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 367 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 394 reviews
on June 7, 2016
This is a review based on the appearance, feel, and construction of the knives only as I have not had a chance to use them. Although, based on these 3 things out of the box I can tell I will be having no issues with the actual use of these knives.

Just opened and set up. Knives feel great and are very sharp. No problem at all fitting them in the wooden block. The knives are very solid and have a decent weight to them.

However, upon looking closely at the edge of the blades I noticed that the chefs knife had what looks like a chip or dent in the cutting edge. Will try and attach a picture. Can't seam to find out where to do that.

In the long run I don't see this being a major issue but it does say a little about the manufacturing quality.

Do to this I can only give a 4 star rating. If all the knives came in perfect condition this would be 5 stars hands down.

UPDATE: I contacted Zwilling, through their website, about the damaged knife. I attached a picture of the knife in the service request form. They responded in less than a day and will be sending me a new one immediately.no questions asked, no hassle at all and I am relieved to not have to send in the damaged knife and be without it for any length of time. The new one should be here in about 2 weeks. Top notch customer service! Updated review to 5 stars!
on December 15, 2014
I read all these reviews AFTER purchasing my set of knives, and after receiving the wrong item from the seller (who, I have to give kudos to, because communication was awesome and they replaced the wrong set within a week of receiving it (not returning it... which I did NOT expect). I was really thinking I may have made a bad decision with all this talk of "dull" and "made in China." I worked in foodservice for years, and I wanted quality knives!

I can't speak to the Zwillings type of Henckels. I'm sure they're amazing. But the metal that these knives are made from seems heavy, sturdy and nicely finished. The blades are definitely sharp. They're not RAZOR sharp. They could be sharper, but they are not "dull," by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the rust that's been mentioned, I plan to treat these knives with care. I don't even put my stainless pots and pans in the dishwasher, because I think dishwashers are abusive of any quality item I've ever purchased. I scour my stainless pots and pans with 20MT Borax (if there's anything sticky, or a film), wash by hand and dry with a clean, non-fabric-softened towel, and they're immaculate. I plan to treat these knives the same and, if they get dull, will likely take them to the restaurant I used to work at at some point when he has his sharpener visit the restaurant.

Overall, I think these are a good investment for me, but I must admit that the knife "block" is a throwaway, Wal-Mart-value item that happens to keep my knives organized until I can find better. It's a bunch of pieces of wood glued together, which isn't much of a BLOCK, if you ask me.
on January 27, 2016
I spent many hours researching these knives and after a month of use I am convinced that we made a great purchase. I compared many different models in both the J.A. Zwilliing, Wustof, and J.A. Henckels product lines and I am happy we chose these. For the same amount we could have purchased knives in the "higher" product lines (i.e. J.A. Zwilling), but those knives would have been pressed, not forged. We appreciate the forged construction as they feel sturdy, well-made, and have great balance. Our friends have a set of the J.A. Zwilling pressed knives and they do not feel nearly as premium as these (even though they cost more). Yes, I will admit, it is a little annoying that the manufacturer makes it a point to conspicuously print that these knives are made in China (would it be so hard to make that print smaller or place in a less visible spot on the knife?), but that is really the only complaint I have towards the knives. Also, just be aware, as with nearly every knife set I have seen, the steak knives are serrated, pressed knives. They are not forged and are not sharpen-able.
on October 6, 2015
Unfortunately I bought these on Amazon Prime day as a wedding gift. They went up high in the closet and didn't come back down until Sept 29. The return window has closed and I have a broken tip off the butcher knife and the sharpener had fallen off the handle! For a company that produces my favorite knife I am severely disappointed. Two things busted before it even was opened. Not very good quality control.
on August 23, 2015
I've used this the last couple weeks. Looks good, nice balance of the blades and assortment of practical blades that will actually see use. I was hesitant buying a set of Stainless steel due to the difficulty of keeping an edge on them as I like my knives "Scary" sharp. Upon inspection and a couple of uses It appears that JA must use a bit higher ratio of Carbon steel to the stainless. They do not seem as bright as some other stainless knives I have and they seem to sharpen much easier. This probably means you want to wash, dry and put away your knives quickly after use like carbon steel. I liked the three open slots which I ordered the model line cleaver, 8 inch carving knife and a classic line meat fork. If I were to criticize it's shortcomings they are this. The sharpener feels very cheap and unbalanced. I like a weighted handle and blade guard on my sharpeners. I suspect I will probably replace this quickly as it will probably not last a year with me. Second, I'm not a fan of fine serrated steak knives. They may be fine knowing the manufacturer but I suspect I will be replacing them after a few years for non-serrated. Overall, I say it is a good value for these knives at the price point as I chose this over a $600+ set that had the cleaver etc, but also the $600 set had blades I could not imagine using.
on January 28, 2016
I've had these for about a month now and cooking is fun, once again! Love, love, love! This is not your 'kitchen aide' set of knives, (no offense intended), but if that is the type of cutlery you're used to, you'll want to use more care and caution until you get used to using this grade of cutlery.
No sawing necessary, just glide that knife and that's it. You don't want to, ever, put these in a dishwasher either, we wash AND dry these as they're used. They look great too and the block serves a purpose for keeping your knives from dulling from hitting against each other in a drawer. They do not sharpen in a block, I saw that in some review... These are a great................buy!
on February 12, 2016
Awesome for sure. Make sure you care for this outstanding product as noted. Gave this as an Xmas gift to my daughter. She could not be happier. This knife block set is outstanding. Get a sharpener and a good cutting board. Knives of this quality can show minimal rust and blades can curl( dullness) but this set is forged except for the steak knives which are stamped. There are advantages to both but forged gives more sharpness durability. For the money, this is a great purchase. Made in China, so what t!!!t. Just bought a highly rated Oneida flatware set made in (Vietnam). and it is outstanding. That provides the opportunity to buy at a better price p point. Go by the reputation of the company since it is very competitive. This is a lifetime set at a bargain price, then again you can get The German Label sets for 8 times the money, makes no sense for the home cook. This is a stylish set unlike the Classic which is of equal quality. The difference is only in " feel " These feel great in hand and look superb. You decide. You can't go wrong.

on April 16, 2017
For an inexpensive knife set, these are very nice. Good weight and balance, and very durable. They stay pretty sharp, but will need to be sharpened after a couple of years use. I still have these 6 years later and use them daily. I did have to buy a more expensive chef's knife for most of my large quantity meat and vegetable prep, but these are great for everyday small tasks in the home kitchen.
on February 13, 2014
I have owned Henckle knives since the 1980's. Henckel product lines range from inexpensive to professional models.

This set is heavy in weight and is most definitely above average home quality but short of professional quality. They do have a 'professional feel'.

My son is a Chef who has held head/executive chef positions in Europe and the U.S. While he says that this set is not Professional quality, it is probably better than the average home cook will ever need.

We purchased this as a gift for my son-in-law. He and his wife were very impressed with the knife set. The blades are sharp from the factory and have a stylish yet ergonomic curved hand grip. My old set does not have the curved grip. Must admit I Iike these a bit better.

NOTE: ALL knives become dull. High quality knives do hold their edge better but still require sharpening. Get a sharpener to go with knives.- get a good quality knife sharpener. Practice using the sharpener immediately after every use so you get in the habit. I recommend Henckels Duo Sharpener as it is dummy proof. http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-A-Henckels-Sharp-Sharpener/dp/B00006CJLM/ref=pd_sim_k_1
on April 23, 2017
I like the knives and set, but I honestly expected them to hold their edge better. I understood these to be "the best". I hand wash and dry them as instructed and dont cut anything crazy with them, so they should stay sharp IMO. They are decent knives, but I sharpen them every once in a while.

I will probably try a different brand or a more expensive model in the future.