Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Size: 18 Piece|Change

Showing 1-10 of 365 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 392 reviews
on August 17, 2015
Extremely dissatisfied with these knives. First they need sharpening after each use. There are knives from Target with a sharper and longer lasting blade. But this issue can be remedied. However a broken knife cannot... As can be seen in the photo attached. The fact that these knives are not stainless steel can also be seen from the photo. I have had this set for less than two years ( purchased November 2013) and can say that they are more trouble than they are worth. Will be considering Wusthof for a future purchase.
review image review image review image review image
on September 3, 2013
After reading several reviews, I decided to hand down to my daughter our 15 year old set of Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives and replace them with these knives. The knife assortment in this 18 piece set is excellent for almost any kitchen task, except maybe cleaving. There are seven primary kitchen knives. There are four complaints that seem to run through most of the negative reviews. First, the packaging for the knives was exceptionally hard to open, being some kind of very hard plastic. Henckels must have changed this, because my knives were wrapped in cardboard sheaths and placed in a separate cardboard box inside the retail box. It was very easy to open with no tools required whatsoever. Simply slide the knives out and discard/recycle the packaging material. Second, many people mentioned the knives arrived rather dull. The 5 non-serrated primary kitchen knives were razor sharp (a fact confirmed by shaving a small amount of hair from my forearm, a practice my wife frowns on when witnessing me do this.) The two serrated knives(not including the steak knives) were extremely sharp but do not lend themselves to shaving my arm without lopping off a sizeable hunk of meat. Third, some reviewers have complained that the knives rust. I can't speak to this. Surprisingly, more expensive kitchen knives usually do not do well in the dishwasher or when washed and allowed to air dry. The composition of the steel, even when stainless, is formulated to hone easily to a razor edge, quickly, and hold that edge for a reasonable period of time until honed again. These qualities require a different steel formulation than that of stainless steel cookware or even serrated knives. This formulation is more prone to staining. The instructions with these knives highly recommend washing by hand and immediately drying. This is something I have always done with my kitchen knives anyway and because of this, rust or any other staining has not been a problem in the past and will not be for these knives either. Finally, a few reviewers complained that the knives are made in China. My response to this is "so what"? The manufacture of knives is 99% mechanized so I'm not sure it matters if that process is monitored by a German or a Chinese. The last 1% is the final hone of the blade, and as stated earlier, apparently the Chinese can do that pretty well given the hairless spot on my forearm. All in all, I would highly recommend these knives to someone looking to have an extraordinary set of knives at a reasonable price point. As it relates to the 7 primary kitchen knives in the set, it would not surprise me if it is the last set of knives I have to buy. The steak knives and the scissors are OK, well suited to the intended purpose. The steak knives in particular are made of a highly polished stainless steel that will likely hold up better in the dishwasher without hand washing and drying.
22 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2016
This is a review based on the appearance, feel, and construction of the knives only as I have not had a chance to use them. Although, based on these 3 things out of the box I can tell I will be having no issues with the actual use of these knives.

Just opened and set up. Knives feel great and are very sharp. No problem at all fitting them in the wooden block. The knives are very solid and have a decent weight to them.

However, upon looking closely at the edge of the blades I noticed that the chefs knife had what looks like a chip or dent in the cutting edge. Will try and attach a picture. Can't seam to find out where to do that.

In the long run I don't see this being a major issue but it does say a little about the manufacturing quality.

Do to this I can only give a 4 star rating. If all the knives came in perfect condition this would be 5 stars hands down.

UPDATE: I contacted Zwilling, through their website, about the damaged knife. I attached a picture of the knife in the service request form. They responded in less than a day and will be sending me a new one immediately.no questions asked, no hassle at all and I am relieved to not have to send in the damaged knife and be without it for any length of time. The new one should be here in about 2 weeks. Top notch customer service! Updated review to 5 stars!
on December 15, 2014
I read all these reviews AFTER purchasing my set of knives, and after receiving the wrong item from the seller (who, I have to give kudos to, because communication was awesome and they replaced the wrong set within a week of receiving it (not returning it... which I did NOT expect). I was really thinking I may have made a bad decision with all this talk of "dull" and "made in China." I worked in foodservice for years, and I wanted quality knives!

I can't speak to the Zwillings type of Henckels. I'm sure they're amazing. But the metal that these knives are made from seems heavy, sturdy and nicely finished. The blades are definitely sharp. They're not RAZOR sharp. They could be sharper, but they are not "dull," by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the rust that's been mentioned, I plan to treat these knives with care. I don't even put my stainless pots and pans in the dishwasher, because I think dishwashers are abusive of any quality item I've ever purchased. I scour my stainless pots and pans with 20MT Borax (if there's anything sticky, or a film), wash by hand and dry with a clean, non-fabric-softened towel, and they're immaculate. I plan to treat these knives the same and, if they get dull, will likely take them to the restaurant I used to work at at some point when he has his sharpener visit the restaurant.

Overall, I think these are a good investment for me, but I must admit that the knife "block" is a throwaway, Wal-Mart-value item that happens to keep my knives organized until I can find better. It's a bunch of pieces of wood glued together, which isn't much of a BLOCK, if you ask me.
on January 28, 2016
I've had these for about a month now and cooking is fun, once again! Love, love, love! This is not your 'kitchen aide' set of knives, (no offense intended), but if that is the type of cutlery you're used to, you'll want to use more care and caution until you get used to using this grade of cutlery.
No sawing necessary, just glide that knife and that's it. You don't want to, ever, put these in a dishwasher either, we wash AND dry these as they're used. They look great too and the block serves a purpose for keeping your knives from dulling from hitting against each other in a drawer. They do not sharpen in a block, I saw that in some review... These are a great................buy!
on February 13, 2014
I have owned Henckle knives since the 1980's. Henckel product lines range from inexpensive to professional models.

This set is heavy in weight and is most definitely above average home quality but short of professional quality. They do have a 'professional feel'.

My son is a Chef who has held head/executive chef positions in Europe and the U.S. While he says that this set is not Professional quality, it is probably better than the average home cook will ever need.

We purchased this as a gift for my son-in-law. He and his wife were very impressed with the knife set. The blades are sharp from the factory and have a stylish yet ergonomic curved hand grip. My old set does not have the curved grip. Must admit I Iike these a bit better.

NOTE: ALL knives become dull. High quality knives do hold their edge better but still require sharpening. Get a sharpener to go with knives.- get a good quality knife sharpener. Practice using the sharpener immediately after every use so you get in the habit. I recommend Henckels Duo Sharpener as it is dummy proof. http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-A-Henckels-Sharp-Sharpener/dp/B00006CJLM/ref=pd_sim_k_1
on October 6, 2015
Unfortunately I bought these on Amazon Prime day as a wedding gift. They went up high in the closet and didn't come back down until Sept 29. The return window has closed and I have a broken tip off the butcher knife and the sharpener had fallen off the handle! For a company that produces my favorite knife I am severely disappointed. Two things busted before it even was opened. Not very good quality control.
on April 16, 2017
For an inexpensive knife set, these are very nice. Good weight and balance, and very durable. They stay pretty sharp, but will need to be sharpened after a couple of years use. I still have these 6 years later and use them daily. I did have to buy a more expensive chef's knife for most of my large quantity meat and vegetable prep, but these are great for everyday small tasks in the home kitchen.
on December 30, 2016
Absolute JUNK! The fact that Henckel decided to make a cheap Chinese knock-off is a sign of the times. I have loved the quality of Henckel knives for years. The reviews of this knife set convinced me to try the so-called "International Henckel" knives. Don't believe the good reviews. I am not a chef. I am not even a particularly good cook. But, when I use a knife I expect it to be sharp and hold it's edge for a long time. These knives are not quality German steel. They look good, but that's where it ends. The steel is such low quality they will actually discolor and have what appears to be rust spots. Now, I am done with this company. I won't give them my hard-earned money for one of their upscale knife sets after they produced this pile of junk knives. Even a casual cook wants quality knives. This product is so bad I have tossed them in the garbage after only 18 months of intermittent use.
on April 23, 2017
I like the knives and set, but I honestly expected them to hold their edge better. I understood these to be "the best". I hand wash and dry them as instructed and dont cut anything crazy with them, so they should stay sharp IMO. They are decent knives, but I sharpen them every once in a while.

I will probably try a different brand or a more expensive model in the future.