on September 29, 2010
Verified Purchase
This is a first-impressions review. I'm pretty particular about my phone equipment; I've had a cell phone since 1992 and have had service with every carrier. We were pleased with the Sprint signal, but didn't want to pay the extra 10 clams for the 4G service that's not in our area yet (central Indiana) which was required for me to upgrade my phone to any of the Sprint smartphones. So, the search for a new phone/provider was initiated.

I've been carrying a Blackberry 8330 for two years, and it has been a very reliable piece of equipment. But, the small screen makes the navigation hard to decipher, and the browser lacked the functionality of the newer smartphones. Long story short, after a month of research on the 'net and stopping at phone stores to play with equipment, I landed on the Samsung Captivate. With ATT's plans, it made sense for my wife to get one, too, as the lower-end data plan is cheaper than the available plan for the messaging phones.

Likes- 1-screen is fantastic; 2-web browser is extremely fast (I use my for product research in my historic art business, and am often trying to do quick artist searches in people's homes); 3-availability of Google apps that actually do something (rather than just the 'look at what my phone can do' apps that have no useful functions...) 4- paper-thin form that fits comfortably in my pocket(I didn't want a slider phone and this is the only Samsung Galaxy S that's not a slider); 5-Google navigation is superior to the Google Maps I had downloaded to the Blackberry and the voice command feature is nice- with a 4.3" screen, I have no need for a separate GPS appliance. 6- WiFi feature- saves the data minutes on the package and automatically connects to open WiFi services

Dislikes- Admittedly, I had a Blackberry and could type a novel with one hand, so it takes some getting used to all the swiping and scrolling. I've had it for almost a week now, and the major complaint is that the phone functions seem secondary to the 'everything else' functions. I have figured out that the Google voice search will complete a 'call' command and search the contacts database for the appropriate number. Less functional than my one-letter speed dial on the Blackberry, though. The on-screen keyboard is a 'getting-used-to-it' feature, too, but I do find the Swype keyboard quite handy. Enable that feature, for sure. Also, don't like the fact that ATT's signal in my house isn't as good as Sprint was, but it's tolerable.

My wife, less a tech-goof than I, is having a ball with this phone, though. She upgraded from an LG Rumor, so this is like discovering the wheel for her... ;-) And, yes, she's found things (settings, features) on the phone before I have which have helped me in the transition.

My favorite thing, though, is the Mabilo ringtone I downloaded...it's the 1960's Star Trek communicator sound that is now my text message notification. Cool, huh?

Oh, and don't forget the fact that Amazon had this phone for about 30% of what ATT charges for it. That was a real decision-helper, too, and I'm also not an I-Phone clone, either.
on July 20, 2010
I have been waiting for months for a quality Android phone to come to AT&T and the Samsung Captivate is definitely it! This phone boasts a beautiful Super AMOLED 4.0" screen that is just gorgeous and so much nicer when compared to other smart phones and IPod touches in my house.

The thing I like the best about this phone when compared ti the IPhone is how customizable everything is and how free you are to change the phone to your own appetite.

The web browsing is quick, the GPS is awesome, and there are tons of sweet widgets you can add to the 7 home screens.

I would DEFINITELY recommend you purchase this phone because in due time Americans with AT&T will soon find out it is better than the IPhone 4.0!
on January 4, 2011
5 stars from me. Is it perfect? No. Does it do everything I need it to do, and well? Yes.

I've had the iPhone since the original and between playing Apple's upgrade every year game and their strict control over MY phone, I've been ready to dump the iPhone for a long time. Finally AT&T (whom I've never had an issue with) introduced a good Android phone, so I decided to give it a go. I'm pleased to say the least. It does everything the iPhone does and more.

The OS is great. Everything is laid out well and customization reaches far beyond anything you could do with the iPhone. The Captivate is more complex to operate than the iPhone, given the endless options and control you have, but it's not difficult. It just makes the iPhone seem so...dumbed down. If your a technological retard or tween who only wants to text 500 times a day, the iPhone is probably perfect for you.

The only thing missing from the Captivate is Android 2.2, which Samsung has yet to release to us. Based on what I've read about it, it should fix the few short comings of the current OS version.

I have to say though, without the iPhone damnyouautocorrect.com just wouldn't be the same.
on September 10, 2010
Ok, the phone all in all is pretty amazing. Fast, beautiful screen, nice app selection, touch screen typing (my first) seemed fine.
But my first two inbound calls faded in and out. I live about 40 Miles NW of Boston, near the service fringe, but not in it. According to AT&T Service Map, I live in a "Good" but not "Great" area.
My last two phones Nokia E62 and Blackberry Bold rarely had a problem.. When I was experiencing the fade outs, I was conscious of moving my hand position around, to see if that was a factor...it wasn't.
The Signal Strength on the Captivate read 2 bars. On the Nokia E62, 4 bars, my BB Bold died a year ago from Salt Water.
First and foremost, I need a solid Phone, one that I don't need to stand out on the deck in the middle of winter to avoid reception fade outs.
So after two days of playing with my new cool Captivate, I sent it back on its way to Amazon. I am going to try the BB Torch. I am hoping that like my Honda Ridgeline, what it lacks in flash, it will make up for in solid reliable performance.
Amazon Wireless was a breeze to work with on this. I put the Captivate in the mail today and the Torch is on its way.
on January 9, 2011
At first glance, this phone is a great alternative to iPhone4. However, this phone shuts off by itself automatically. Both Samsung and AT&T won't openly acknowledge this deficiency and will try to blame on a bad batch of batteries. If you want to miss calls all the time simply because your phone shuts off without you knowing it, go ahead and purchase this phone. On the other hand, if you research this phone online, you'll find the shutting off problem is common with this phone. Also, the performance looks great with this phone's specification. Add a few more apps on this phone and you'll notice the sluggish performance. One last thing. This phone is capable of taking high quality videos. That's cool, except that half of the time you'll get an error message and your video with the most precious moment did not saved. The bottomline is to choose your smartphone wisely.
on August 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
Mine turned out to be a lemon; it quit working on the 30th day of use - on the day my free replacement warranty expired. Samsung refused to repair or replace it because they said it had moisture damage. I don't know how that could have happened.
on January 27, 2011
Well, first off i'd like to say that this phone is alright. All of those reviews out there about major bugs and all that jazz are wrong....unless you get it from some random 3rd party seller. It has an amzing amoled screen meaning that the screen is aligned with the buttons (integrated for short) the swype texting a fun and also the internet it fast.... im on this phone from a samsung eternity.. BUT i've used my friends iphone 4 and not impressed with it. The customizable freedom on the captivate is amazing and the calls are clear

My main cons are:
1. SOMETIMES the phone wont mount to the computer therefore making me take the sd out and putting it an adapter(problem fixed)
2. There aren't that many good, sleek (protective) cases out there, but don't get me wrong the ottor box defender case is ver very protective (and what i have)

SO, overall i still am giving it a 3/5. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a highly customizable OS.....hope this helped you!
*Update* 11/15/2012- I have recently been through a handful of phones prior to my purchase of the Captivate. Galaxy S2, S3, and finally an Iphone 5. Now that I look back on the phone, it may have seemed powerful at one point but now it is a shadow.
on November 10, 2010
Verified Purchase
After breaking two iphones, I knew it was to delicate of a phone for me. So, I switched to the Samsung Captivate, as the battery is easily removable (to dry out in case of water spillage). Now I can't remember what I miss about the iphone. The apps are great, I love speech to text. My hotmail account was able to be set up as an emaiil app(had problems with the iphone and windows phone) Driod is user friendly and you can arrange applications on different home screens. I did learn that you cannot set specific text notifications tones to specific contacts. Tip* you can change the text notification tone from messaging screen under settings, instead of going through the settings application function.* I am sure most people could figure that out, but I had the chicken dance song stuck as my text alert and couldn't figure out how to remove it. I did install samsung kies, and when you work around it, you can store your contacts and import music. I am not a techy so I hope the I used the right terminology. The phone just needs a flash. Good Luck !
on January 22, 2011
This is coming from an iPhone user for over 2 years and thought there was no phone better than the iPhone. I was also being told by my fellow "iPhoners" that I would find nothing comparable...WRONG! This phone WAY passed ALL expectations! I have only had the phone a little over a month and have found so many more useful apps on this phone! The camcorder made a BEAUTIFUL video of my nephew's 1st Christmas. Picture quality and sound quality were wonderful without me even trying. I loved the Navigator...the phone uses the whole screen and it is a very clear picture and volume is very clear so the directions come through loud and clear even with other people in the vehicle talking. YouTube video quality in my opinion is so much better than the iPhone! I could go on and on! It was a very smart move on my part and well worth the switch! I am so glad I gave it a try! In my book, an iPhone killer definitely! The only thing I do miss on my iPhone is "Words with Friends" but I will get over that! I will never go back to Apple!
on October 20, 2010
Verified Purchase
Had the phone for several weeks now and I am very pleased! Huge crystal clear display and swype rocks. Sadly the first phone I received had issues with the home button randomly and continually clicking. Returned to amazon and got working phone in two days, easy. Watching movies and youtube are clearer than my monitor and the phone multitasks well. Touch screen is spot on. Call quality is good. Overall a great phone, I would say on par if not superior to iphone.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations