on September 24, 2010
This phone does not have a functioning GPS. Google Maps and other apps that rely on GPS do not function correctly, if at all. Samsung/at&t released their promised fix finally but it didn't fix it. I now doubt that it is fixable. Search the forums and you will see that. If you don't want GPS, go ahead and buy it. But why when most smartphones on the market have a GPS?

They said they would fix it so I waited past the 30 day period and now I'm stuck with it. As far as Android phones go, it's an otherwise good phone. But there are many Android phones out there with GPS that works.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2010
Thank the heavens AT&T didn't drink all of the I phone cool-aid and finally offered a Android phone that was worth while. This model is no where near the best of all the android phones out there, but it is by far the best one offered by AT&T... It runs on android 2.1 and has a very nice AMOLED display that looks very nice!!! Battery is a pain if you do all the things this phone is capable of doing...I have had it for 3 days and have had to charge it every day....

Like the phone so far... just wish there were more choices with AT&T for androids...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2010
I picked up my samsung captivate android a couple days ago, Nov. 16, 2010. It works beautifully as a iphone contender when "it is on", but it has a major software bug which turns the phone off, and people calling are directed to the voice mail. The bug can be worked around with app called "Captivate Keep alive" which tell the phones cpu to stay awake. It does seem to work, but it drains the battery faster and does take a few cycles from the CPU. I would rate this product a 4 to 5 star product, but samsung and att won't admit to the problem, but I do know that people at AT&T know about it because a person at their stores has a similar issue and told me the work around. I would definitely tell people to buy the product if you are ok with the work around.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2011
I love my phone! It is one of the easiest ones I have used and I love the number of applications I can use on it. It was a "best buy" and I will make sure to enjoy it for the next two years :)

I do wish a person could get rid of the bloatware on the phones. I will not use them and they just take up space. That is very annoying.

Overall, it is a great phone!
on April 4, 2011
Excellent phone. Had it for 2 weeks now. Compared to my old Windows HTC.

The Bad first:
- Battery and battery is bad. 6 hours if heavy internet/app use. 1 day for light use. Keep a charger with you.
- Slow to load up after being turned off, several minutes.
- No Camera Flash or LED for notifications. No Front camera.
- May slow down with many applications but not freezed yet.
- No physical phone buttons to hang up or call.
- Very slow GPS navigation.
- Voice quality could be better and louder.
- Limited customization.

Good:
- Fast enough for most people. Did not freeze yet.
- Upgraded to Android 2.2. Great OS.
- Screen, very good quality and responsive.
- Camera resolution is very good in daylight.
- Can Skype, Video/Voice chat, Pandora.
- Good Speaker.
- Apps every where for everything.
- Can disable 3G and go with WiFi if needed for data overage.

Recommended.
No more Windows phone for me or HTC. Last two of these; Freezes all the time, slow, stopped working after warranty expired, bad screen and NO APPLICATION that can be used. Makes a good phone useless..
on April 4, 2011
I have had my captivate for some time now and it has been an exercise in frustration since day one. Simply put, it is just a broken phone and I don't think samsung cares about it, or their image. Constant lagging, like minutes long lagging. Random shut downs. Sometimes it freezes and you have to remove the battery. Slow and incomplete media scans that does not recognize apps that are on the phone, I can see them in the file browser but not in the app drawer. GPS problems all the time. Constantly deleting my widgets. I could go on and on, this phone is terrible. At first I thought maybe it was just the android os, but none of my friends phones have these problems, so I put the blame squarely on samsung. I love android so much and I love customizing my phone, but this phone makes it difficult to do so when it freezes or shuts down and everything I have done is deleted and I have to start over. Oh and the battery sucks.

However, the screen is great. There that is the one nice thing that I can say.

Screw you samsung, you suck.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a fantastic phone, and does so many things.The screen is very sharp and clear. I have literally over 100 books on the phone, and read them regularly with ease, and my eyes are 55 years old. Any time I have a minute or two, I can get in a little reading, or catch the news, or sports or Tweets, all with ease. I can easily take notes with several different apps that all synch with my computer, i.e. My Writing Spot. I also use dropbox and Evernote, both of which are extremely helpful in sharing any and all info with any of my desktops (I have three-2 pc's and 1 mac)and my iPad (which I use a lot) and even with my wifes iPhone 3Gcs.
The iphone 3gcs (ATT) is very nice - easy to use. I love it for its ease of use, but the Samsung has better resolution, and a little easier on the eyes.
If you are connected to the pc world and do a lot of stuff with google, this is the phone for you.
I can also sync all my devices to my To Do list using Toodledo (GTD). This is a must for me. Anytime, anywhere, I can check, or add to my to do list and it automatically goes to all my devices/computers, including macs, ipads and iphone. A really good phone is a must. The right apps are crucial.
If you are really connected to apple, then you may want an iphone. But the iphone 4 for 200 buck, vs this phone for a penney? This one wins ever time - unless you are a millionire.
My only real complaint is the battery life. I like to leave wi-fi because I use it so much, but it really drains the battery. Even with it off, I still have to charge it every night, and often times sooner, so I have a usb cord at work and plug it in there, and also one in my car.
ONe other minor gripe - but it is more with ATT, than with the phone (but really - what't the difference. If you get this phone, you get ATT) and that is that ATT charges $10 a month for the map/gps program. I should be free as I am already paying for data.
on January 9, 2011
I was very enthusiastic about this Galaxy S phone, brilliant 4" touchscreen, Android OS and a host of other smartphone features, what else could I ask for? So I purchased one through Amazon Wireless in September for $99 with a two year upgrade on my family plan.

Unfortunately I was not prepared for the reality. Some features simply did not work right and others didn't work at all. Even more frustrating has been the epic wait for an upgrade to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) One drawback that I knew of and decided to swallow was allowing AT&T to decide which apps would be available for your Android. After all the hype about openness and freedom to use the device the way you want, AT&T's Android phones all disappoint. Many of the best apps are not available (Firefox, Skype, and a bunch of other ones that are available on Verizon's Droids.) This has been increasing frustrating the longer I have had the phone.

Let's continue in chronological order with the problems I found after purchasing the Captivate:
First, I found out that email forwarding and sometimes replying would truncate the original text in the message after about one line of text. It was very embarrassing trying to forward a message to someone only to have them respond, "What are you talking about?"

Second, I found out that Wifi, by default would turn off as soon as the screen turns off, meaning that if you were listening to Pandora on Wifi and you had a limited data plan, you could quickly find yourself over the data limit, even though you thought you were using Wifi. (cough*AT&T conspiracy*cough) There is a hidden menu within the Wifi settings menu that allows you to set the Wifi sleep policy to never. More recently I have been having problems with Wifi where it appears that I am connected, but there is no internet connectivity, even with my home network. This has been a big issue for me as I have a 200MB monthly limit on data, and that would not be a problem if Wifi worked.

Third, I found out on my Thanksgiving trip that the GPS DOES NOT WORK. I had read some complaints about the GPS on forums before, but didn't realize it was a problem affecting ALL Captivate phones (perhaps all Galaxy S phones)
Maybe I was spoiled by my previous phone (Blackberry Curve 8310) which now seems much more plain than anything else out there, however, everything on that phone WORKED! emailing was flawless, GPS and Wifi always performed as expected (it didn't have Wifi ;)
Samsung finally released a GPS "fix" called "GPS Restore" in early December that was supposed to calibrate the GPS and eliminate the problem for good. It turned out to be just smoke and mirrors. I don't use the GPS all the time but when I do, I need it to work. While trying to find a gas station off the highway earlier this week, I almost ran out of gas driving around, not knowing where I was. The GPS placed my two exits back with an accuracy radius of at least 2 miles. A few times the radius shrank down to a few hundred feet but still placed my in the wrong location. It just doesn't work and it is unacceptable.

Finally, and this has been a problem from the start, we were promised Froyo within a couple of weeks, back in September. It is January and we are still stuck with android 2.1 while the Nexus S, which is practically the same phone, is running android 2.3 (Gingerbread) I blame mostly Samsung for this as other Galaxy S phones are also stranded waiting for the update. Interestingly, the rest of the world with a Galaxy S phone has already been updated to Android 2.2 so perhaps AT&T should take part of the blame here. You may not think 2.2 vs 2.1 is a big deal, but believe me, it is. Froyo would allow you to forward emails and it even allows you to edit the text you are forwarding/ including in a reply. Supposedly it would fix the GPS issue, although I am skeptical of this and it would allow your phone to run much faster by fully utilizing its resources.

Bottom line, If you are at all enthusiastic about this phone for any reason, you will be disappointed.
Otherwise you may find it works for you and it is just fine. After all, it is has the best screen on the market, 4" Super AMOLED with the best colors I have ever seen on a phone. Only the iPhone can compete with the screen but on different parameters - its resolution is better
The 1Ghz processor is fast, although it would be much faster on Froyo or Gingerbread if there is ever an update.
The camera takes great pictures where there is enough light (no flash) and the video recorder is also surprisingly sharp for a phone.
SWYPE is awesome, the best text entry experience on a phone.
The Vibrate is very weak and I often do not feel it.
Adobe Flash also doesn't work, maybe its not the latest version, maybe it just doesn't have flash, I don't know but it doesn't work.

Finally, support has been a joke. AT&T consistently tries to pass me off to Samsung, which tries to blame Google's Angroid for many of these issues, AT&T's update in September was supposed to fix the email issue and it appeared to fix it once, so that I get off their case, later on, I still couldn't forward messages. After describing all of these problems to Samsung they said they will be happy to fix everything if I only send my phone in for 6 days and let them reset it to factory settings (Thanks, but no thanks.)
I will think very carefully if I ever want to get another AT&T phone or another Samsung phone. Verizon's Droids seem a much better alternative but I would love to get my hands on a Nexus S, unfortunately I am locked in for another 20 months before I can even dream of dumping AT&T.
on December 3, 2010
I'm not going to write a book about this phone, like some geeks do, but this geek is impressed mostly.

My only real complaints are that I can't remove those silly ATT apps, and android really doesn't like Yahoo, it' all about the google.

I am a bit upset that I can't turn off 3g service for talking. I don't care about using data, I just want a clear call in my area. If you live on the edge, no pun intended, then it will switch back between 3g and edge and drop calls.

I assumed that there was a toggle switch to change from 2g to 3g, it does it on it's own when 3g looses signal, and that causes dropped calls.....the reason, AT&T controls too many options on this phone.

A 350-400 phone for 1 cent. I think it's great deal, however,

I really do not like AT&T removing features on this Operating System, Phone or whatever.

I should be able to remove any app that I want. Who uses,

att music, allshare, where, att radio, att maps, att navigator, att family map, Latitude, what is that? instant messaging, come on, talk, It's a phone why do I need talk? Places? Who cares, att hot spots, that starts up on startup every time, can't stop it unless I go to running apps and manually stop it after startup, write and go, Mobi tv, mobile banking, YPmobile, mobile video, Mini Diary, ridiculous, daily briefing, who's idea was that....Waste..........

The question is,,, Does ATT really think I'm going to use that stuff just because they lock it in my phone, No, eh, No. and No...

That's a bunch of wasted space on my phone I can't remove unless I root it. I really don't want to go through that process...

On the plus side the battery gets better after a few weeks. At first it died pretty fast now I get 2 days from one charge....

This is the best free phone I've ever seen or used bar none, but it's like Att punishes me for getting a phone for 1 cent....Sorry no 2-3G switch, and enjoy ATT Where, What and Why????
on November 19, 2010
After using my iphone 3g for nearly two years, I decided it was time for a change. I loved my iphone, but with the problems the Iphone 4 was having and Apple's restrictiveness, it was time to move on. And the Captivate is making it an easy transition. I am free of Apple's chains and can move my phone from computer to computer.

Pros-
Email-I put three email accounts, one was a pop 3 account (I had the server and port numbers with me) and it was a breeze to set up. I left each account separate, but I could combine them into one box if I wanted.

Ringtones-You can make your own ringtones from the songs you put on there and all it takes a a simple application.

Contacts- When you put in your contacts it will link to that person's twitter account and google. It will automatically put the pictures and email in if they are listed.

Signal- The call quality seems to be good, no complaints.

Widgets- Still playing with these, but it pretty cool. You can set up different home screens with clocks and weather on them.

Price- Why pay $199 for an iphone 4 when amazon could give me a phone that is just as good for $19.99, plus you can add insurance with it.

Data transfer- You can plug in your phone to any computer and then with a USB just transfer them to your phone. You can email them or open them and work on them.

Cons-
Ease-This phone is not as user friendly as the iphone and it takes some getting used to.

Cutandpaste- The cut and paste feature is awful. You really have no ability to cut and paste.

Battery- Battery life is not that great, but the good news is it is a replaceable battery, so if its gets too bad you can get a new one.

GPS- I have not used this feature that much yet, but so far it is pretty terrible.

So far I am loving this phone!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations