on March 29, 2011
Samsung copped out on repair of 4 month old phone. Claimed "corrosion voided warranty." Phone spent 2 months in high humidity of Key West, FL.

Phone went to "Green Screen of Death" during upgrade to Android 2.2 one month after return from Florida.

Does the FTC need to force Samsung to disclose this design weakness? Will discontinue touting this phone to friends. Would have been a great phone if it were built properly.

To remain on ATT I will need to spend more $ on an HTC Inspre. Really dissapointed in Samsung's rigid and unrealistic customer "service", (Sic.)

I would strongly discourage anyone buying this phone for use in any but the driest climates, (e.g. desert.)
on August 2, 2010
After my almost 2 year old Samsung Eternity had a swim in a glass of coca cola(and survived but is starting to act up a bit)and has been trusted, sturdy and reliable, I decided to stick with Samsung and check out the Captivate and Android. (Still not drawn to the iphone...)
It was with much anticipation the Captivate arrived, and I have spent a lot of time in the last few days checking it out. I believe all the technical stuff has been covered by others more savvy than me, but for what it's worth I'll throw in my few cents:

- Having this big beautiful screen and all the apps to play with, of course you want to play with it. However, I found that I burned through the battery very fast and had to charge it twice a day. It did help to download the App Killer which stops selected items from running all the time. But still.
When you go in and look at how the battery is used, the majority of the power goes to just the display, although I had it at 30 sec. timeout and lowest brightness setting.
Not much point for me having a phone with all those possibilities, but not juice to make a phone call in the afternoon. Especially since this is my primary phone.
- I liked the USB/ adapter charger, but the cord for some reason is quite a lot shorter than what I'm used to, making it hard for me to use the phone while it's charging/ plugged in.
- I disliked that the power button and the volume button are located in the same spot on opposite sides of the phone, as I found it difficult to not hit both by accident when trying to either adjust volume or unlock it, and vice versa (with one hand).
- By the way there is a double lock on this phone: you first need to press the power button, then slide the screen (there are different ways to do that) and I found this cumbersome. But there's an app for that (!) which eliminates the slide unlock :)
- Others have complained that there is no text correction function, but there actually is if you use the Samsung keyboard: hold and press the [123] button and voila! LOVE the keyboard, what an upgrade from the Eternity!
- Where I live (Nantucket Island) the signal bar has been very dicey. I have not had a dropped call and the sound is crystal clear, but compared to the Eternity (best coverage I have ever had) it made me a bit weary.
- The included headphones are great with 3 sizes of bud cushions to fit your ear canal. However, as far as I can see it only works with the music player and not as a hands free. (?)
- Big sure is beautiful, but this phone is too big for me, although it's very slim and light. Coming from the Eternity it felt like it was a handful, even without a protective cover.
And speaking of which... the phone is so new that I have not been able to get a cover for it, which has made me a little nervous to use it in the event I want to return it. There are some out there, but most are not available until around mid August.

There are so many things I love about this gadget, and it's been a tough decision to send it back... but that's what I'm doing; primarily because of the battery life, signal bars and size. I give it 4 stars although it may qualify for 5, simply because it doesn't fit my needs as much as I would want it too.
on October 12, 2010
I initially had a love / hate relationship about this phone. The love portion deals with the overall phone appearance (good looking phone); the size (fits in my hands and I can operate with one hand - right or left); the monitor is very clear and has great colors; the phone is well balanced and the overall weight is good. The phone is easy to navigate; Bluetooth feature is good (hey, the paring codes is 0000); the WIFI feature is easy to set-up and the phone does a great job is recognizing a WIFI zone. It shows you the zones and gives you the option to accept. The phone sound quality is good as well as the reception (better than my 4 year old Blackberry). The notification feature is very good. I love the swipe feature for password...very good. Battery life seems to be okay, I can get through a full day without re-charging the battery.

My hates deals with the email feature for Microsoft Outlook (POP3 server) and the much missed information regarding this phone such as:
1) There is NO synch feature with Microsoft Outlook via POP3 (like Blackberry). The USB cable that comes with the phone is used for power (with the electric adaptor) and mass transfer. It's not for synching with Outlook.
2) I have two email accounts on this phone; GMAIL and Outlook. Outlook is my main email (I've had this account for over 15 years). The GMAIL account works perfectly as this is a Google based phone; the phone email and calendar are based on Google. Now I have Outlook working (well to a point). I'm getting my Outlook emails, but the phone deletes the Outlook emails within 2 hours of receiving them (It doesn't delete them from the server). I spoke with the Samsung Tech Rep and he acknowledged this problem and said I was one of the few that got MS Outlook to work to this level.
3) This phone is loaded with ATT bloatware; and you can't delete it. I don't recall this being the case with IPhone (we have 3 in my family).
4) I purchased this phone to watch online video streaming like ESPN3.Com college football. Well, the phone has the capabilities but ATT forces you to use their Mobile Video appl. And this appl turn-off your WIFI connection. Yes, ATT forces you to use their 3G network and it's just doesn't have the muscle and coverage. Oh yeah, you must pay ATT $15 a month to use this appl.

Here what would have helped me before purchasing this phone:
1) MS Outlook works on this phone, but you don't have full features and synch with the PC (You get all of this with IPhone).
2) The phone calendar is based on Google. There is software from Google which synch the Google calendar with your MS Outlook calendar. And it works well.
3) BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE PHONE TO YOUR PC: My sure the phone is fully powered, the change the phone USB feature by: go to the phone setting, then the application, then to USB setting, then change it to mass storage.
4) ATT forces you to use their Mobile Video appl to watch on-line TV/Video; even if you're a Comcast customer who has access to on-line TV and video.
5) Bluetooth pairing code: 0000
6) Loaded with ATT bloatware that you can't delete.
7) As of 10/5/2010, there's NO software download required for this phone
7) Don't call ATT and/or go to their stores if you have any questions regarding this phone. Just call Samsung Tech Support

I've had this phone for a week now; and have had a love / hate relationship. It's more love than hate now since I've found solutions to the calendar and the MS Outlook issue is workable for me. I'm still not pleased with the ATT approach to online video, but I don't have any other options with ATT as my family has three IPhones (wife and kids). I would go with the IPhone 4 but it definitely has dropped call issues. I think the future will be IPhone and Android so I'm planning on keeping this phone...if Apple doesn't fix the IPhone 4 drop calls by the end of the month (just joking)....

UPDATED (10-19-2010). I can't deal with the at&t bloatware (att nav and other) and the phone continues to delete my email from the phone. I had enough and returned the phone for an Iphone 4. At least it works with Microsoft Outlook. I'm given the phone two stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
Received the phone a week ago and as usual the Amazon transaction went smoothly. The phone was activated through ATT with no problems.

Pros: Display is great and the processor is very fast.

Cons: After two days, the phone started shutting itself off randomly, 4-10+ times a day. A Google search turned up a lot of complaints for the same problem. So far, no solutions. Neither Samsung or ATT acknowledges a problem. Until a fix if found, the Captivate phone is unreliable, so use caution when buying.
on January 24, 2011
I did a lot of research before making the plunge and going with the captivate. I knew I wanted to go with Android, but didn't know which carrier/phone combo to go with. I spent the better part of a month reading reviews, comparing specs, going to brick and mortars to get a feel for the phones and the interface before I finally went with the captivate. I have not been let down. I knew what to expect when I got the phone and yes I had the problem with the GPS locking on. This was easily fixed with the Samsung GPS Restore available in the Android Market and a quick restart of the phone. GPS has worked great ever since. Battery life wasn't as bad as what I was expecting. I can usually get through a full 10 hour day at work before I need a charge. I do have a spare charger at my desk at work just in case. I had also heard that the Captivate was not syncing well, or at all, with Outlook accounts. Mine works fine. It syncs up with my Outlook email, my contacts, and my calendar with no issues. I've had the phone a week and have had no problems. Everything has worked great and it's FAST!!! I could not be happier with my first android phone. I would gladly recommend this phone to anyone in the market for one.
on September 19, 2010
I LOOOOOOOOVE this phone. It is almost perfect in every way. Hardware design, look and feel; Software (Android is a beast); Apps; Multimedia....and have I mentioned the most gorgeous screen I've ever seen on any display? Period. I'm not just talking phone displays...any display. This display rivals top notch HD TV's (ok that's a little hyperbole but you get my drift...it's awesome!!)

Now as a disclaimer. I read a lot of the reviews here on this phone and so many of them are comparing it to the iPhone 4. Let me just say that I'm not here to bash the iPhone, I'm not an Apple hater, I've never used an Apple product nor am I inclined to. So I don't know how this phone compares to the iPhone 4. And frankly, I don't care. If people keep going around comparing things to Apple it just signifies that Apple is better.

So now that that is out of the way lets go into specifics. Starting from the outside. The phone is exquisitely made. Of all the Galaxy S's I think this looks the best in terms of form factor. Super thin for a smart phone, candy bar design with curved top, 4 touch sensitive buttons at the bottom, and a really nice carbon fiber battery cover. feels light in the hand compared to other phones but not too light. Battery life is what you'd expect from a smartphone: two days with average use, a day on heavy use (video, internet, etc).

Next, the screen. WOW, what can I say except its fabulous. Colors are rich and vibrant, it displays the blackest blacks you've ever seen on a phone (so black you don't know where the screen ends and the black border around the phone begins). Its bright, text looks clear and crisp and its bright. Videos look excellent. The music player is awesome. It has two different looks. A straight music player look and a nice cover flow revolving CD look,with lots of different sound options. The camera is awesome. the only complaint I have with this entire phone is the lack of LED flash. Indoor pics look OK but could look better. Otherwise, outdoor shots and shots indoor with good light are excellent. Lots of different options to choose from. And video capture quality is excellent.

As for apps and software. What can I say but Android. Productivity and entertainment apps abound. Samsung's UI is also very easy to use and intuitive. calender and contacts management is a breeze. Syncing your contacts with their respective facebook and twitter is easy. Samsung specific apps like daily brief and Friends and Updates (puts your Facebook and Twitter updates together) are very useful. And ofcourse you have plenty of Android Market Apps at your disposal. Some I recommend include Vlingo (speak any command and your phone responds), Opera Mini Browser (though the stock browsers is great too), Google Voice, Album Art Grabber (to spruce up your music player), Fx Camera (uses your camera to take cool pics with different effects) and Gmote (one of the best apps ever, accesses the videos, music and presentations on your computer and controls them like a remote)

All in all. This is THE best smart phone out there. Good job Samsung
on July 29, 2010
I have been waiting for a smart phone to come out that had similar features to an Iphone but was an Iphone. I know it sounds silly but I really didn't want the Iphone brand.

So far with the phone I haven't really had any complaints. I think the only thing I wish was better is the battery life. But that is what you have to deal with when it comes to a smart phone.

The screen is amazing, everything runs smoothly and the features are amazing. I have seen alot of people complain that it automatically syncs up to your google contacts, well I think that is a plus. It has made me update all my google contact info and now I have all my information in a place other than my cell phone (a great thing if you are prone to loosing a phone or if it crashes)

However, you don't have to have the google contacts. There are options to not sync up with your gmail account, or you can have it only display contacts with phone numbers.

Overall it just takes some playing around with to really get the feel of this phone. It does take some hunting. But if you are good at figuring out technology and don't need everything told directly to you this will be a great phone for you.
on December 8, 2010
I read all the reviews before I purchased the Samsung Captivate. For me, and I believe many others, it was between this smartphone or the iPhone 4G. Looking back on it, I was a little naive after reading all the reviews. Most people gave it 5 stars and just loved the phone. Then I realized these people hadn't had their phones very long.

I, like them who praised the phone, absolutely adored the phone. The big screen was fantastic, and the 1GHz processor would make any geek happy. The battery life didn't last long, and that was really annoying. However an update that they pushed out fixed it and the battery was no longer a issue.

Then one day, I pull the Samsung Captivate out of my pocket and try to unlock it. Black screen. I hit the power button, nothing. I thought this was odd, because it had 95% battery power and I'd taken it off the charger not a hour earlier. I then began to panic, as I remembered all the 1 star reviews had said 1 of 2 things: 1) This phone constantly shuts off without warning and 2) the phone will not turn on.

I was #2 for me. I had shut these 2 bad things out with the "it won't happen to me" attitude. And bam, 2 months after using the phone without issue, the phone is as dead as a doornail. I google'd all the work arounds, the hard resets, removing the battery, etc. etc. Nothing works. The phone is literally dead. And so is my love for the Samsung Captivate.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2011
1st phone speaker went out after six months! 2nd a referb crashed & will not reboot lost all data after 8 weeks. Now on third phone, a referb, under warranty with much regret. Has no light for camera. The Samsung program to sync this phone had so many problems I gave up on it. Android 2.2 seems to solve many problems but not all; this phone still needs help. Can only open 4 web browser windows compare to 8 on I phone. Still searching to find app that will save all my applications I load on this phone. I have lost all confidence in this phones reliability. I expect the 3 rd phone to fail; all under one year from purchase! Biggest mistake I made was buying one. The first two phones were kept in an otter box defender case with a skin covering for protection. Even with no abuse the hardware failed. The battery has performed poorly over time; after three months it starts to get weaker at holding charge. & yes under warranty you keep your old battery & receive a referb phone; which someone else has already had trouble with!
on August 9, 2011
I thought for sure this was going to be a good phone, but after having it for a year I'd have to say this has been the only phone I've ever purchased that I couldn't wait the full two years to get another one.

First the pros:
1. Vibrant LCD that you can see easily in the daylight
2. Camera takes OK pictures
3. Phone is thin

Now the cons:
1. Battery life SUCKS. Even with nothing running it has to be charged every night.
2. The phone loves to crash. I've gotten two replacements for this phone and all of them freeze up unexpectedly every couple days
3. The phone responsiveness is SLOW. When the phone doesn't freeze entirely, it always ends up pausing on you while you're trying to do something. This apparently stems from the fact that Samsung uses their own proprietary RFS file system to store things on the internal memory. Do a search for "lag fix" and you'll find a ton of people who have wrote custom firmware hacks to change the internal filesystem to EXT4. Doing that fixes the lag and makes the phone usable.
4. No flash for camera
5. The video sucks. Taking HD video results in skips and pauses and jerky video.
6. Poor support by Samsung. It took over a year and a half after Froyo was released for Samsung to release it to this phone. Not Gingerbread has been out for ages and the only people offering it is homebrew developers that write custom firmwares which void your warranty. SUPPORT YOUR PRODUCT SAMSUNG!

I will not be buying a Samsung again.

I should note that I'm an computer programmer and Android developer. I know there are obvious things like killing off background apps that improve battery life and performance.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations