on July 22, 2010
Got this on the 20th so I've had a few days to play with it. Overall I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it, more than I expected to be. The screen is really, really nice. Words don't really do it justice. Phone looks better up close than it does in pics.

Pros:
-Great screen.
-Fast. No slowdown or system lag of any kind at this point
-Great call quality. Everyone I've called has noticed the difference. According to their PR, the calls are digitally filtered by the phone to reduce background noise etc, and it seems to work.
-Camera works well/makes pretty pictures. Tried making some videos, they turned out well.
-Speakers are good. Speakerphone and otherwise
-Very light and slim. Fits in the pocket almost unnoticeable.
-Battery use better than expected, maybe the best of any smartphone I've used. Not bad considering it's rocking a 1ghz processor.

Cons:
-Proprietary USB adapter kind of sucks. While plugged in, you basically can't do anything with the phone or it falls out/stops charging. So long trips with it plugged in to use as a wannabe kindle probably won't end well.
-No camera flash
-No front facing camera
-ATT bloatware. Their stuff is so bad...
-While not as bad as the att shitware, the Samsung apps aren't exactly useful for the most part.
-Notification LED doesn't work? I've heard this before from others, is it just disabled or what?

Overall, I think I'd rather have an Evo. But it's a close call, and if you want to be with ATT this is their best droid offering.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2012
It is truly my fault for buying this phone. I accept that. And it may be that I'm just not cut out for Android. I accept that as well. I'm used to upgrades that don't fail for no clear reason and kill your phone. Maybe that's such a 20th Century attitude. My first over the air upgrade did just that, and utterly bricked the phone. Luckily I was within my 30-day purchase window and was able to exchange it. That's right: about a week into owning the phone, it died. Having gotten another one, thinking this a fluke, I was able to upgrade to the next level of Android, 2.2, only to have that kill my ability to get a decent signal. I have had 3G and five bars and been *unable to send a text*. And now trying to upgrade to 2.3 in hopes of fixing my issues, the phone bricks itself again. With no error message given. And I just spent close to an hour with Samsung Live Chat where they weren't even paying attention to what I was telling them was happening and thus giving me erroneous problem determination info.

This is a great phone if you like to tinker and mess around and not get things done. I would have loved it and seen it as a challenge back in the day when I didn't have better things to do. If you need a hobby, then this phone is perfect for you. If you need a phone, however, then stay away for your own good. And if you own one of these and it hasn't made you so angry that you want to punch kittens, then consider yourself lucky.
on April 7, 2012
My experince based on a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy breed) purchased at an ATT store on its release day.

Problems with GPS from day one... you may reach your destination before the GPS finds the location
ATT already replaced my first phone within 12 months of purchase because of some issues
Phone reboots itself intermittently
Phone stopped vibrating (hardware failure)... well, I already missed some important appoinments because of this... I am still under my 2 year ATT contract. Warranty doesn't cover the cost after 1 year
A thin layer of transparent coating on the plastic (near the edge of glass) has started peeling off
Speaker sounds too weak

Samsung support: Always responds quickly, but I keep hearing that "do that... do this" which resulted in a couple of factory resets and I ended up reconfiguring the phone for no reason. Finally, I hear from the service person "sorry you are out of warranty" (are you kidding? less than 2 years life for such an expensive device?)
What I like about the phone: The quality of the screen and touch screen response. Reasonable battery life.
Problem Summary: These phones are not built to last for more than couple of months for an average user like me. My 4 year old Motorola phone is still dependable.
My Next phone: HTC or Motorola (I am not a iPhone fan)
on September 2, 2010
I'll keep this review short and sweet, as there are a lot of other reviews with the pros and cons. I had Verizon's Droid Eris before this and the phone had only a 524mhz processor and to my surprise the Verizon network sucks where I live. The phone was slow, typing on the virtual keypad was horrible as it would lag and stutter, and everything about the phone was slow. This phone with a 1000mhz processor is super fast, I don't have to worry about killing apps, and the keyboard is fantastic!! Absolutely no lag and the screen is just gorgeous. Call quality has been great and I get great service where I am in AT&T.

I wanted to get the Epic for Sprint because of the physical keyboard, but after using the captivate I really don't need the physical keypad. This thing JUST WORKS.

(9/14/10)Edit: The GPS is broken currently, but it is a software issue so it is apparently being fixed. Also, when I received the phone I had problems with it randomly turning itself off. I returned the phone to Amazon and got a new one. So far, no problems with the new phone. I did a lot of research on this issue and it appears to be a bad batch of Captivates and not a software issue or an app issue.
on August 21, 2010
Absolutly the best phone I found out there on the market. I am an x-IPhone 3G owner, was gonna go with the IP4, however, with all the problems to be worked out of it I actually decided to "look around" That was a hard decision for a true apple fan like myself, but to be honest i was getting a little sick of the "closed" world forced on apple users. Well I can tell you the captivate is an excellent phone. I have read some of the reviews that had problems with the GPS locking in, troubles with the media player, and compatability issues. I have had none of these problems. From out of the box this phone has performed as expected/advertised. The feel is supurb in the hand. It works great for my needs and I am more than satisfied with it. I find myself not missing the IPhone as I thought I would. Actually, its nice to download an audiobook right from Windows media player directly to my phone. I can drop movies directly verses going through Itunes...yea, I won't miss that too much. You can feel perfectly at ease with buying this phone. I believe it will exceed all your needs.
on September 30, 2011
It's an OK phone but a very bad android device. I am on my 2nd phone. I would return it today if I could.

Email client with the phone will not work with Yahoo. The Yahoo app locks, gives notification of new email but they don't show up, locks when you try to delete multiple mails etc.

The OS (Froyo) is two years old and ATT has abandoned the phone. They NEVER push updates. They prefer to suck in new customers to new products.

The address book disappears. The SD card is loaded but doesn't show up sometimes.

The camera and phone features are not bad. The screen is very good. These don't offset the bad features.

The apps cause the phone to lock up frequently.

I think the good reviews from people that write a review after little use or don't use apps. My friend turns off his phone except when he makes calls, guess what? He likes it. However, if you have used an IPhONE you know how sorry this device is.

I finally gave up, bent over and surrendered to ATT. My 3rd phone shuts off frequently. I just decided to cancel. ATT is not willing to work with you and give you a different phone. They will offer you a credit of "maybe $35" for a new phone.
on June 11, 2012
I've had this phone since August of 2010. CANNOT WAIT TO UPGRADE.

I was in love with it for the first few months. Then it started with random lock-ups that could only be relieved with a battery-pull. And, the phone is S-L-O-W with everything it does, although I make sure I have nothing running in the background. It really is not a pleasure to use at all.I've upgraded the software twice (it came with with Eclair and I upgraded to Froyo and now Gingerbread). Samsung does NOT make upgrading the software easy either.

I use this phone for work, and it has proven extremely unreliable with the lock-ups. The reception is very weak as well, compared to an iPhone 3GS and 4S and because of this I use an AT&T M-Cell, which gives me 5 bars.

The screen on this phone is stunning and the size is nice, but I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw it against the wall due to these irritating lock-ups and slow response.

This is what I get for trying the FIRST version of hardware. I'd like to think that Samsung has ironed out the bugs with this phone with later releases, but think I'll try HTC next.
on September 29, 2011
It has NOT been a year yet and this is my 4th Captivate phone. I have downloaded the Top internet/app protection on my phones and it STILL catch a bug. Im tired of it not Unlocking when I place in my code and it Not Locking when I need it to. I am tired of it not being able to send out my calls or Text messages when i have all 5 bars. I hate the fact that I cannot Receive Anything unless It feels like accepting something. Ill go to the store and ask what's going on and itll act just fine. When I arrive home the phone becomes stupid Again. No matter How many times I Restart my phone, let the SD/Sims card along with the battery sit out for it still Acts up. I am Tired of not receiving important calls; tired of my phone company trying to give me an entirely new Captivate knowing that it Still will not act the way its supposed to. This phone is CRAP. My company said that they've gotten the same complaints that I always give...If the cell phone companies are aware of the constant problems then Why Havnt They Fixed It Yet?? This phones' performance is so poor it doesnt even Deserve a overall rating (poor) star!!!
on November 23, 2010
My last phone was a Iphone 3g. It did have great features but became too boring. The Captivate lets you customize it with great live wall paper and widgets. The hardware is up to date. Premium look and feel, very light. Android market not as large as Apples.. But it seems to me that Android Market has better content.
Pros:
1ghz cpu, a great gpu for gaming and media, 720p hd camera, 5mp camera, Super Amoled touchscreen..very beautiful! plus many other extras. I like how the wallpaper moves in the backround. A Media Powerhouse! Battery is actually decent..not a power hog.
Cons:
Not much to complain about...No flash led for taking pictures at night, Facebook is a little better on Iphone hopefully Android will get an update soon. Supposedly a Froyo Android 2.2 update mid December. Anyways it's an awesome price for At&t's Best Android phone. I'm a new fan of Android and very happy with this purchase.
Thank you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 15, 2012
I got my Captivate last fall, moving up from an LG Incite with Windows Mobile. The difference was like night and day! The Captivate is a very well-made, very ergonomic phone. It is quite rugged in design and after half a year of usage with no case or screen protector there is only one tiny scratch on the metal battery cover and one extremely small scratch on the screen. (As long as you don't keep the phone in your pocket with keys it should be fine. If you plan to keep it in a pocket with keys I'd invest in protection!)

I love that the Captivate has an internal SD card as well as the optional external SD card. This gives me more than enough space for programs and music. I'm not even close to using up the space on the phone itself and still have the option to get a bigger external card.

The camera works great outdoors (good lighting) but very poorly indoors. However, video works very well in either setting. I think if they had included a "flash" as some phones do then this wouldn't be such an issue.