Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brother Black Compact Inkjet All-in-One with Fax for the Small or Home Office User (MFCJ220)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on January 11, 2011
Buy this machine! If you are in the market for an office printer this BROTHER MFC-J220 should fit the bill. I wanted a photo printer primarily, but also wanted to have the capability to FAX, SCAN, COPY and make phone calls. This does all that and yes, rather bloody well! I have a BROTHER HL-5140 laser printer also and this has never failed me. So I thought, why not buy a reliable photo printer of the same elk? GOOD DECISION!
The unit is very stylish in black and the controls are all well thought out. It is so easy to set up and use I felt tickled. Software is included so you can link your computer with the printer in a very painless fashion. BROTHER, like all the competition, doesn't include a USB cord so you'll need to buy your own USB cord, but it's easy to install and inexpensive to buy.
The long and short is this. You can insert your SD chip and preview and select the photos you wish to download. You can vary the brightness and quality of the image using the keyboard. THE PHOTO QUALITY IS COMPARABLE TO WHAT YOU'LL GET AT THE LOCAL DRUG STORE. Nice, rich colours and sharp images. The unit has four different colour ink jets, so you can replace each one individually and this will save you a bunch of money. The ink jets aren't expensive, compared to what it costs to replace laser print cartridges. What I like, too, is that you can print photos from your computer/laptop/netbook. You can enhance their colour, contrast and hue with a program BROTHER provides with the package called FACEFILTER STUDIO. You'll get the look your looking for and if you're creative you'll even have fun doing it. And if you're concerned about the racket some of these printers make, don't worry, it is very quiet and and won't wake up the neighbours.
What else? The scanner is fantastic. Images are crystal clear and so easy to capture. You can enter them into your computer for viewing. The fax is great, too. Receive and send faxes and capture these to your computer's memory. Very easy and the machine uses standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no need to purchase special fax "rolls").
What's the downside? You'll have to buy photo paper (not included). The paper tray assembly is very fragile plastic and you best be very ginger with it or else! It is not a WIRELESS unit, so you must direct wire it (but by golly, how many customer reviews have I read where connecting to the wireless is a fate worse than death? Rather not mess with that, anyhow). And the scanner will not work with legal size documents, letter size only. No big deals, these.
Let me say for a hundred smackers, and AMAZON picked up the cost of handling and shipping (THANK YOU AMAZON!) I truly believe you'll be pleased if you have a home office and need the casual use of a photoprinter/copier/fax/scanner. I am tickled pink at how good this machine is. Hope you are too!
on March 9, 2012
I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted a back-up printer to my MFC6490CW so it was important that the back-up printer used the same print cartridges. This unit is very compact and does a beautiful print job and has a very good print speed. All the controls are nicely laid out. I am very happy with this purchase.
on December 8, 2012
I don't think I ever really considered how loud a printer is until my roommate commented on how quiet this printer was. And then I thought about it, and yea, this printer prints surprisingly quietly!

But anyways, after doing a lot of research on printers for college, I settled on this Brother printer because it was pretty cheap/affordable and came with a lot of extra features that I may/may not ever actually use like fax (although it may come in handy one day). As a college student, most of my printing is pretty basic - just a lot of papers in black and white, so I can't really comment on the image/color quality. But what I can say is that this printer prints pretty fast and gives you 4 different options for printing: Normal, Fast, Normal Fast, and Fine. I use Normal Fast most of the time just to save on ink usage, and it prints just like Normal quality but a bit lighter (although it's really not that noticeable for things that are dark).

I think my only (very minor) complaint is the fact that you have to pull out the paper tray in order to put in more paper, which requires just the teensiest bit more amount of work. Also, this printer doesn't print double-sided, so the only way to print double-sided is to insert the paper back into the paper tray, which isn't a huge deal once you've figured out which way you need to put the paper in in order for it to print the back side correctly.

I honestly haven't played around too much with this printer, so I can't say much about all of its other features. However, I really do love this printer and I think it's great for college students who are on a budget as this printer could easily last you all 4 years and much more, since it's pretty sturdy and well-built. Also ink cartridges are pretty cheap!
on June 19, 2012
We bought the MFC-J220 less than a year ago because it was small and was able to fit into our motorhome with no problem. We don't use a printer all that much, but as lots of other people will tell ya, it's best to have one around when ya need it. It worked well with the test page and a couple of other things we printed, then it sat for a few days. When we tried to print again, it said it was out of yellow ink. As we'd bought extra ink, it wasn't that much of a problem, but we couldn't understand why it why it would need ink that fast. Turns out that it leaks ink with the ink going into the bottom of the printer and eventually overflowing out of it. Thought maybe this was due to us moving, but we didn't move the motorhome for weeks and had to replace two yellow cartridges.
on April 5, 2013
I used this to replace a malfunctioning and old printer. It worked straight out of the box. Does its job good and hasn't disappointed yet. I love the ink level display on the LCD panel. Kind of useless to have time displayed on it - but hey that's just my opinion. I don't consider this a work horse but it can be for the casual user. I printed a photo from a scan and it produced a 4.5 out of 5 quality photo print out.
on October 5, 2012
If your looking for a good little printer that does what the company says it will do, this one will work for you. Admittedly, I haven't tried the fax feature yet, but if it's like the rest of the machine it'll set-up and work easily. Printed plain paper pictures very well, text is clear and the scanner, well, it scanned!
on April 24, 2012
Have not had a problem yet. Have not used the fax, but all other functions are great. Can't figure out how to set the time of day display, but since I don't use the fax, I don't care.

Ink is CHEAP!!!!
on December 24, 2013
This is my third brother printer in 10 yrs. I use it alot every day and I love this model for ease of use and most of all the ink is alot cheaper than alot of other printers. Really works well and it always comes in factory packaging and brand new in box.
on January 24, 2014
This isn't about the printer. It arrived, but I had already found another printer for a better price, so I returned this right away. I didn't even open the box. The return policy is "We issue FULL refund if the package is not opened."

I was waiting patiently for the refund to show up on my credit card statement when I received an email from Amazon on December 18 telling me E-Tech_Professional had closed the return request because the return period for this printer had expired.

I wrote to the seller and included the tracking information that proved he had received it on August 16. The response: He "could not remember that I got this return," but since I had the tracking info, I would get my refund.

I have no doubt at all that if had not sent the tracking info I never would have gotten a refund. Eventually, I did get it, after waiting for it for four months.

So if you do buy from this guy and have to return it, be sure to retain your shipping receipt and the tracking information. Who knows how many products he conveniently "forgets" that he received so he doesn't have to issue a refund?

I'd post this on the seller's review page but since I returned the printer I can't. I think people deserve to know.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
I've had this machine for a number of years now. I do very little color printing. I use it mostly for scanning, very rarely for copying. Almost every time I turn the printer on, it starts cleaning, even when I'm not going to print. It uses more ink for cleaning the print heads than it does for printing. I'm always buying ink even though I hardly use it for printing. If it's out of ink, it won't scan until you replace the ink and then it cleans the print heads using up my ink before it will scan. Very poor design and money waster for the consumer; moneymaker for the company.