on September 5, 2010
I recently upgraded to the Epic after a long debate of picking either this or the EVO. So far, I'm extremely satisfied. I wont go into the long list of features and benefits talked about to death by other re-viewers.

From my personal usage of the device there are a few things I can note that maybe others have not touched on.

First off, the battery DOES seem to go down rather quickly. But once you take into account the amount of things you are actually doing on the phone simultaneously, its actually not that bad. I also found that if you download the APP KILLER app (its free on the Android marketplace), and shut down unneeded programs runningin the background, you actuallly boost the battery life quite a bit.

Secondly, one of the key points that made me pick this phone over the EVO is the slide out keyboard. Its one of the most comfortable and efficient ones i've ever used. What impressed me the most is that even with the option of having the slide out keyboard, the touchscreen phone has a vibrant and easy to use virtual keyboard. I'm using the actual slideout keyboad much less frequently as I'm able to easily use the onscreen board, as well as the awesome swype feature.

It is my first Android device, so it took me a few minutes to update and sync my contacts and calender. Once i got the hang of it, it was smooth sailing. Some of the other reviewers complain that the screen seems dimmer or "grayish" when placed next to the iphone or other android phone. Thats because there is an auto brightness adjustment feature which automatically dims the screen when you are indoors to conserve battery. You can easily change the screen settings if its not to your liking.

Graphics are awesome and screen is crystal clear. I put it side by side to my wifes iphone, and there was not much of a noticeable difference.

The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5, is because for over $200, it would be nice if it came with some more accessories than just a charger and headphone. (maybe a case or screen protector / extra battery ?)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
The phone is fine. It's fully functional and the screen is amazing. Major problem I have is with the software. No Froyo 2.2!!! Cmon how long is it going to take to upgrade. Anyway with out 2.2 you are stuck without flash support and saving apps to your SD card. We were promised an upgrade and never got one. Last time I buy a samsung phone. Blah!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2010
The Epic 4g is simply unbelievable. I've had this phone for over a week now, and I still can't put it down. I'm coming from the Touch Pro 2, which I could no longer stand, so here is my breakdown of why this phone is simply the best:
Pros
-Gorgeous, extremely responsve screen that is the perfect size
-Very lightweight and thin for a slider
-Intuitive UI- unlike windows mobile, no matter how deep you go into the phone settings and menus everything is still smooth and bold and bright.
-Fast! I'm not in a 4g area, but even with 3g or wifi web browsing is actually fun on this phone. It's easy to navigate and interact with webpages which are rendered quickly and beautifully. I've actually been making use of my data plan.
-Gmail works great. Again it has a bold, attractive layout and gives easy access to almost all the features you'd use on your computer
-text input is soo much fun! There are so many options (virtual/physical/swype keyboard) that I constantly switch around because I can't choose just one. Swype is great once you take the time to learn it.

Cons
-somewhat plastic feel (but Iactually like that the phone doesn't feel heavy and expensive)
- at first the screen feels a bit too responsive, it takes some getting used to
-power button is at the top right, which is a very odd and inconvenient place
-camera button is at bottom right and sicks out so it's easy to press by accident
-physical keyboard has very flat keys
-no froyo yet
-haven't tried video or gps, so no comment
-included widgets aren't very useful, but you can find plenty free ones in the market

In conclusion, I love my new phone.
on September 1, 2010
Close To Perfection as Android Can Get!

I don't understand the big hoopla over the Android OS, but I understand many people want features that are iPhone exclusives without either switching carriers or buying a product made by Apple. Anyways, the Android OS is probably the closest that anyone will get if they want a top notch performing OS, an app store, a web browser that's as good as a PC browser, beautiful threaded text messaging, etc. The Palm Web OS achieved this feat, but unfortunately nobody cared because their phones came in such ugly form factors that were neither attractive nor logical.

The Samsung Epic is a stellar phone that comes with a 1GHZ Hummingbird processor that keeps the Android OS running fluid and smooth. I always felt the earlier Android devices were so sluggish and probably needed a 1GHZ processor to keep things from underperforming. The phone is quick and responsive while prior Android OS's had lag time before entering and exiting out of certain features, apps, etc. This is also the only Galaxy device from the Galaxy series that features a full qwerty keyboard.

I am torn between this phone because I think it truly has some great attributes, but it also has some minor drawbacks that I can overlook. I appreciate that the phone is lightweight, but it's made with a plastic case that can feel very cheap and that's the tradeoff for anyone who is in the market for a smartphone that is lightweight. However, the battery and keyboard do add some much needed weight. The device doesn't have that HEFT to it like the iPhone. I never owned a phone with an AMOLED display and I have to say that the screen is truly gorgeous and the colors really POP, but at the same time I didn't notice anything AMAZING or drastic that wasn't found on the same screen for the EVO 4G or the Droid X, but I guess the whole purpose of the AMOLED is to save battery power. Despite the VIBRANT screen I still noticed a few pixilation issues when I was watching Avatar and this is probably not the phones fault and more of the way the movie was formatted. When a DVD is copied, movies usually tend to be over 4GB, so reformatting the movie to fit on a phone usually means condensing the movie below 1GB. I'm sure if the movie was around 2 or 3GB that there wouldn't be noticeable pixilations when there was too much action on screen. However, the screen has the ability to almost create a small illusion that the footage is in 3D which i liked. I also tried to play a few YouTube videos in HD and the phone ended freezing several times without the video even loading and so I had to exit out of the YouTube app, but it was unresponsive and took a few seconds before heading back to the home screen. These are just some minor gripes that I had, but the phone is still a winner.

I am not going into a long review about this phone that hasn't already been said, so I am just going straight into the pros and cons below:

Pros:

Huge 4 inch colorful display that is truly VIBRANT
Super AMOLED screen
Responsive Touch Screen
Excellent Web Browser
Pinch and zoom
7 home screen panels
Live Animated Wall Papers
Threaded Text messaging
16GB of built in internal memory
Micro SD card slot (Up to 32GB for a total of 48GB)
3.5MM headphone jack
Many preloaded Apps
Keyboard
Samsung TouchWiz UI added in
Wi-Fi B/G/N
3G Speeds
4G Speeds (But not in NYC area just yet)
5.0 MP Camera/Camcorder
Can record videos in HD format
Micro USB charger
Front Facing Camera
Battery life seemed ok (I haven't encountered any issues yet)
USB Charger
Wall Charger adaptor included
Google Voice Search
Gmail sync
Media Player
Swype Keyboard (LOVE IT)
Front Facing Camera
Camera/Cmcorder has flash

Cons:

Plastic build can feel a bit cheap
Camera really should be 10.0 MP at this point
A 32GB micro SD card should have been included for the price of the phone
on April 30, 2011
This review was conducted on an HTC EVO 4G, but when it comes to comparing the 4G/3G service, it's pretty much identical on Sprint's top 3 4G Android phones, so I've included links for each of them. This is more a review about Sprint's 3G/4G service and what you might expect and hoping to alleviate your concerns about all you've read about battery life on the 4G network. My experience is as a user (I've been a 4G user since it first hit the market) but I'm not a technician expert. So my comments apply to the data service for the following devices:

HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint)
HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint)
Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint)

BEST way of all to save battery life on your 4G phone is

** TURN OFF the 4G service except when you need it. That generally means never turn it on when you are driving around.
** If you happen to be in an area with limited 4G service, TURN IT OFF. Your battery will suck itself dry in a heartbeat trying to get life out of that signal. And I mean QUICKLY. Like from fully charged to less than half-charged in a matter of minutes. Rule: At least one bar steady 4G or turn it off.
** I don't know what's up with Sprint, but OBVIOUSLY they have a 4G capacity problem. Some days I can stay connected to an IP address all day long. Other days (usually early evening) it's like FORGET IT! Sprint drops the connection almost constantly and continuously. I get sick of attempting to reconnect because it takes up to a minute to do so, only to have my connection dropped a few minutes later. Also, Sprint will rotate your IP address CONSTANTLY. Which means programs you are using that depend on a constant IP address will fail when you get switched (HTTPS addresses and some others with password protection access, sometimes streaming channels). Sometimes those websites will suck your battery dry trying to get that connection back. Best: Just restart the website and your 4G service. If it keeps happening, just drop to 3G. You'll be happier.
** Hey, unless you are streaming YouTube or movies, face it, 3G is enough for most applications. 3G on the Sprint network is very stable. 4G is not.
** Realize that 4G varies depending on what state you are in. Some 4G places scream service (up to 6MB/sec) others rival a good 3G connection (1.1MB/sec if you are lucky). So find out how FAST the 4G service per second streaming is in your area. (My experience: Boise SCREAMS service, Salt Lake City is usually really good (near 4MB), St. Louis is lucky to see 2 MB on a really good day. Videos online say they are only able to stream a little over 1 MB/sec on 4G. Point is, it varies widely, connections are variable, and test your location if 4G is a deal breaker for you. (Because your battery will DIE in a heartbeat if you don't have access to a good stable 4G connection.)
** When you install apps, don't check the 'auto update' box. Some apps will suck your battery dry with updates every few minutes. Battery killers include anything that uses maps (including GPS programs), Google Earth, Skype -- will run in the background continuously. Basically any program that updates several times a day is probably something you want to evaluate whether or not you really need it on your phone if you care about your battery life.
** Dim your screen to no brighter than you need it for easy reading. There is no real reason to have it on 100% level all the time is there?
** Turn off the screen when you are talking on the phone. If you move the phone to your head, it will auto sense and do this automatically, but if you are using speaker phone, you will have to manually turn it off.
** Only use task killer on very stubborn apps that are obviously causing your system problems. DON'T kill all apps on your task killer, that will SURELY cause errors on your phone in short order. You can kill a specific app by long-pressing on it and it will bring up a kill option for just that app. If you find other apps constantly running when you view task killer, consider uninstalling those programs to save battery life, or setting them to NOT auto update.
** Good programmed 'droid programs will give you the option to kill the program when you are done using it through the menu, or it will pop up a menu asking you if you want to kill the program. Use this feature whenever possible to save battery life.
** Read market reviews to see which programs people complain about for zapping battery life. Reconsider whether or not to download such programs to your phone.
** Nothing quite sucks the battery life like having GPS turned on or using GPS-based programs. BUT, they are useful when you need them. Use your GPS Navigator in 3G mode. IMO, I can't tell the difference and my battery life is a lot longer and the connection a lot more stable. (Save your 4G for multi-apps, wireless sharing, streaming videos or movies).
** DO NOT use 4G on HTTPS websites unless you want to seriously hate your phone. As mentioned, 4G is pretty unstable in its connection generally everywhere. Since most https websites are password secured, you will have to log in over and over and over again and you will hate your phone, so just use the more stable 3G connection.

I use my 4G phone for everything. I think it even serves up toilet paper. And since Skype finally got a 'droid version available for the USA working pretty darn good, I can even understand people talking on my phone now. (Skype connection is pristine, I love it. Walks circles around the Sprint voice quality.)

All in all, a good strong signal and keeping your screen turned off will definitely assure a long battery life.

I generally use a few minutes (almost always <75 minutes) a month and stream something around 5GB a month in data. I usually use my phone data about 6 hours a day (continuous).

Here's some sample speeds I've experienced recently:

STL ON 3G 1.27 MB Download and .47 MB upload. SLC ON 3G 1.47 MB and .30 MB CHICAGO ON 3G: 1.46 MB and .60 MB
STL ON 4G 2.3 MB Download and .28 MB upload. SLC ON 4G 2.98 MB and .65 MB CHICAGO ON 4G .38 MB and .39 MB

As you can see from some samples, there isn't that big of a difference between the two and sometimes 3G is even faster. USUALLY it's been my experience that upload speeds are faster on 3G and these little snippet examples are no exception. (What's up with Chicago? LOL).

Hope this helped in giving you extra talk time for your battery charge.
on September 10, 2010
I'm going to keep this review short and simple. I switched over to the HTC EVO but returned it because it felt just a bit too big in my hand. The other fact was it did not have SWYPE nor did it have a real keyboard. I thought I would get used to having a virtual keyboard but I could not get used to it.

However the Samsung Epic 4G is a great phone since it has SWYPE which works surprisingly well as well as a slide out keyboard. There have been some complaints about how the keys are not offset and I do find it a bit harder to type on it having been used to the Blackberry 9700 which was my previous phone.

The phone is very responsive, battery life is not that great, you have to definitely charge it after 8-10 hours of moderate use. I usually have 4G and GPS turned off (I don't have 4G in Sacramento) or that would use up the battery faster.

I was able to connect to my Outlook email at work without any problems and it pushes the email to your Android just like the Blackberry does and it also syncs your Outlook Calender.

Pinch to zoom works within Email and on Web pages and its very responsive.

The killer feature is the support of DLNA, so I can view my video, audio and picture files on my PC over WI-FI on my Samsung Epic and it works seamlessly. I can also stream video, audio and pictures from the Epic to my PC or my LG DLNA enabled Blue Ray player so that I can view it on my TV.

Google Voice integration seems to be better than on the Blackberry. Overall this phone is very intuitive to use, I had a bit more trouble with the HTC EVO.

I also was able to install YouMail from the Android app store and set up conditional call forwarding (see the Youmail website on instructions since Sprint is slightly different). While Visual Voicemail is available with Sprint, I prefer YouMail.

Overall I have to say I am very pleased with this phone and would definitely recommend it.

Having used Swype on this phone and finding it so easy to use, I wonder if I needed the keyboard after all. I still wanted it as a crutch until I can let go. This phone runs Android 2.1

If you are a Blackberry user and are hesitant to switch, then I can honestly say that coming to this phone from a Blackberry 9700 it took a couple of days to get used to it, but I was able to do everything on this phone and much more. Also due to RIM not releasing Blackberry OS 6 to existing Blackberry 9700 customers until next year even though its available for their new phone, I felt it was time to make the switch.

The only app that I miss that is only available on the Blackberry is VIIGO, but I use Newsrob instead which seems adequate though not as nice as VIIGO.

Update: 9/13/2010
I got to use the Navigation feature and it works great. I was able to say the name of the place I wanted to go and it began navigation right away. The default voice sounds a bit funny and sometimes difficult to understand since the street names don't often get pronounced correctly. I especially like the Satellite view mode since I can actually see the buildings, and I like how it switches to Street view when you are close to your destination.
on September 8, 2010
Like many of you, I hesitated in paying the extra 50 dollars but like I read on another review, the earbuds, the physical keyboard, 16 gb samsung card and the AMOLED screen more than justify the 50 dollars extra of the EVO.

Let me start off by saying that Im an avid phone collector sort of speak. My family and friends always criticize my for having different phones once a month. I have been on all carriers. ATT for one day, the worst. T Mobile is ok and great prices, Verizon great customer service, great service and too expensive. Sprint to me is the best. Great service, best value. Customer service can be a lil better.

That being said I have used all OS's and all phone brands. LG,Samsung, Blackberry, Apple, Palm, HTC, etc. I've used the WinMobile devices (does winmo still exist?) Palm,Blackberry, Apple and Android.

Android is the best hands down. I had the first Android phone in the G1 and liked it instantly. But the HTC G1 was like a brick and battery was the worst of any mobile device I have ever had.

Ill stop going all over the place and get on with the Epic.

The screen is the best or one of the best ever on a mobile device. Love the physical keyboard. Super blazing fast. It has 5 megapixels 3 less than the EVO but trust me, the quality of the pictures and the settings available are much better than the EVO.

I've just had it for 8 hours and I'm super excited. I will update more after a week with it.
on November 28, 2010
The phone itself is great. It's a bit bulky, and the battery won't last you more than a few hours if you're constantly using it for music, the web, etc., but it's otherwise wonderful.

However, Amazon Wireless (and to some extent UPS and Sprint) really has a ways to go. First, I couldn't get a definitive statement about when the item was going to arrive. I was told three different things (one from Amazon customer service, another from a UPS customer service rep and a third from the UPS website). Amazon turned out to be right (how could UPS not know its own shipping date better than Amazon?), but they told me they wouldn't do anything to investigate the shipping date confusion until after the estimated shipment date was missed.

Second, I ported my number from AT&T, but Amazon set the number transfer date to about two weeks after the estimated shipment date. I guess they wanted to build in a cushion in case of shipping issues and that I could just call Sprint to switch the dates, but it would have been nice if Amazon had told me beforehand I'd have to do this.

Lastly, and this is entirely on Sprint, when I first called the rep after the phone arrived (about 6 pm EST), they said the number was in the process of porting at that moment, and that I should call back in three hours once that finished so I can complete activation. Three hours later, I called back and was told that the activation date was actually in two weeks, and that I'd have to call another department (this was my fourth of fifth department) to change the date to be that same day. After about 10 minutes of waiting, the rep came back on to inform me that said department was closed (but was opened when I originally called). Because of the Thanksgiving break, I wouldn't be able to get the phones working as phones for a couple days. I pointed out that I paid $36 per phone for activation and that my activation clearly got screwed up. I asked for a refund of the activation fees, but he said he couldn't do that until after activation occurred. He promised he'd put a note in my account.

After activation a couple days later, the next rep told me there was no note regarding the refund. She also said the refund couldn't happen until after I was billed, not after activation.

All in all, the experience was awful, and it could have been solved with a just a little warning from Amazon about when they said the number porting to happen.
on September 6, 2010
I just bought the Samsung Epic 4G and have no complaints. I will update this review after more usage. But in my opinion between the Evo 4g and the Epic 4g, hands down the Epic wins. I have smaller hands and this phone is not too big. At first I was scared it would be too big for me, because of the dimensions, but you get used to it. The only thing that sucks is that there are not a lot of accessories for it.

UPDATE:
I have had it for about a month now and I still don't have complaints. Battery is not great but if you take off gps wifi and 4g options it will last longer. i can go a full day with this and be fine. Talking, texting, navigation. Swype is AWESOME. it predicts what i want to say. Took my phone on a weekend trip and took great pictures. Love the flash feature. Still looking for a case for it. I bought the Zagg Invisible Full Body shield for maximum protection.

Another great thing about the Epic is that you can buy an extra OEM battery and seperate charger for it!!! According to Sprint only Samsung products like instinct and EPIC have this option. The EVO does not and will not have that.

Hope you enjoy your phone as I am. :-)
on October 28, 2010
Verified Purchase
Over the past few years, in my humble opinion, Samsung has really become a powerhouse of quality. I am slowly changing every piece of electronics I own to Samsung, and I believe with the exception of the hard drive in this computer, this phone now completes my plot.

In short, this phone is an excellent device. The screen is AMOLED (a fairly new technology...before now I have only seen it on my Cowon mp3 player) and is just breathtaking. The slide out keyboard is a huge pleasure to use. A few of the early problems with the software in the phone have long since been fixed and all of these phones are now shipping with the latest updates, etc., and everything I've tried (ventrilo, yahoo messenger, google sky, Clayton Bixby soundboard LOL!, etc.) is just great. My wife at the same time got the HTC EVO 4G, which is a similar phone with almost identical functionalities except that the Evo does *NOT* have the AMOLED technology, nor does it have a keyboard. Compared side by side, the Epic's graphics are better, both in the screen technology, and in the frame rate (e.g., scrolling is ice-smooth in the Epic, and just a touch jerky in the Evo which you notice when they're side by side).

There are two things to point out however:

1) The wi-fi (i.e., to your home router) functionality in the phone is mediocre. The signal strength is not even close to what you'd expect in a device like a laptop. But of course, there's hardly any antenna in there for wi-fi, so what do you expect? Any place in your house to which your wireless router BARELY reaches will be unreachable from the Epic. (e.g., I can't get wifi in this phone on my back porch, and the laptop just barely makes it). This is probably true, uniformly, for any smart phone like this one, so I don't personally count it against the Epic 4G. My wife's EVO might be slightly better, but it's close.

2) The HTC Evo is a SOLID, DENSE piece of equipment with a metal case all around. The Samsung Epic is *NOT*. The Epic merely has sturdy molded plastic. There is a distinct difference in solidity when you hold both of them in your hand, and the Evo is NOTICEABLY heavier as a result.

But overall I'm very happy with this device. All of the complaints about "battery life is too short" seem ridiculous to me. I used the phone all day today on 3G and 4G networks and had over 50% left when I got home. It's 100% that this phone will last a normal person all day long without needing a charge; I have NO IDEA where all these battery complaints are coming from. This is the premium Android experience. Do not hesitate to get this. The marginally smaller screen than the Evo is barely a consideration in my opinion, especially when juxtaposed with the far more awesome AMOLED screen technology and outstanding pull out keyboard.

NOTE: Sprint is ridiculously optimistic in their 4G coverage maps. Do *NOT* expect to get the widespread coverage that they seem to indicate. I'm supposed to get EASY "in-home" 4G at my location...but there isn't even a WHISPER of a 4G signal in here. ZERO. When I go outside, I get ONE BAR and spotty signal. According to Sprint's street level maps, I should have been PINNED even inside the house. But, whatever, this didn't surprise me, and I am sure coverage is improving every day.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations