on October 27, 2010
I was evaluating this phone vs the Evo 4G to replace my former Samsung Moment. I spent a few weeks with each and ultimately decided on the Epic for a number of reasons which I'll try to list briefly:

Screen: 16 Million Colors vs the Evo's 64 Thousand Colors. This makes a HUGE difference in the clarity and color accuracy of the screen. Also, it is much more accurate for using Swype.

Speaker: When using the speaker for calls and music, it was much louder and much clearer than the Evo's. Obviously of higher quality.

Microphone: From the people I talked to on the phone, they said the Epic sounded clearer, less garbled. Also, when recording video it seemed to eliminate a lot more background noise.

Camera: While the Evo has a slightly higher Megapixel rating, the Epic's camera is far superior in color and clarity, no questions asked. The flash was comparable between both phones.

User Interface: Surprisingly enough, I found the Epic's TouchWiz interface to be a lot more functionally useful than the Evo's HTC Sense. Sense seemed cluttered and busy, while TouchWiz was simple, easy to figure out, and worked right out of the box.

Swype: This is a huge one... it took quite a bit of finagling to get Swype to work on the Evo, and even with that there's no guarantee it will continue to work or be supported. Because the Epic comes with Swype it will always be supported and stable. Even with the QWERTY Physical Keyboard, I find myself using Swype almost exclusively.

Memory: This is obvious, Epic comes with 16GB while Evo comes with 8GB... for the same price point, it just makes sense.

Headphones: The Samsung Headset that comes with the Epic is actually very high quality. It sounded significantly better than the seemingly identical set I bought for $20 to go with the Evo.

Battery Life: While the battery ratings and most benchmark tests seem to be comparable, I found the Epic to get much longer battery life... maybe this is just me, but that was my experience.

Other thoughts:
The charger / USB cable connects at the top of the phone and makes it a bit difficult to use the Qwerty keyboard while plugged in. Fortunately, Swype eliminates the need for *me* to use the Qwerty most of the time, so this isn't a big issue for me. At worst, just unplug it when you're actually typing.

The Evo already has Android 2.2, the Epic is running 2.1 but is scheduled to be updated to 2.2 by the end of November 2010.

There were some nice widgets that came with Sense, but because of the other points listed above, I didn't feel these were enough to justify keeping it.
on January 27, 2011
-keyboard doesnt fully register
-LACK OF COMMITMENT FROM SAMSUNG
-touchpiz bloatware
*buy some spare batteries

because it is a phone, review of hardware is coupled with the software.
first, the screen is almost impervious to scratches, and the rubberized rear cover feels nice. battery cover prys off easily, yet stays on solid. best battery cover implement ive used.

running stock android 2.1, phone is generally responsive, and all of the features (e.g. Gallery) are pretty cool, though of course these are features of the software and not exclusive to this phone

phone feels very flimsy, even compared to other slide-out keyboards (e.g. anything Motorola, or the G2). the 2 halves feel detached from each other. typing on the keyboard even slowly will miss 5-10% of your keypresses!!!!!!!!! many believe this is a function of the firmware. either way it is ANNOYING. it is nice, however, to have a dedicated #row, and hard keys for the android functions (home, menu, back, search).

camera generally very good, front camera is neat, speakerphone is decently loud, audio output on jack is decently good

BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS SAMSUNG IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SLOW WITH SOFTWARE UPDATES. SHOWS NO COMMITMENT FROM THE COMPANY. one could speculate it is sprints fault, or it is the american carriers to blame. but fact is the sprint HTC EVO has had 2.2 for a long time, nexus1 has had 2.2 for a long time , and SAMSUNG PHONES have had a long history of slow release. WHOEVER'S FAULT IT IS, ultimately it is the USERS of samsung phones left holding their scrote.

i wont buy another samsung phone.
on September 3, 2010
This is my first android phone and i have to say i am highly impressed by what i see. Although there are already plenty of things already annoying me about this phone. instead of writing a paragraph i will just list some annoyances.

-power button is too small and placed to far back on the phone, which means your always trying to feel your way to it instead of it just being habitual and its the only button you can press to wake it up.

-slide out keyboard is not that comfortable to use, and the space bar is too small. and found the 4 short cut keys on each side not that useful for me. (but thats just me)I'm finding myself using the virtual keys more than i do the physical.

-the back button seems to be a little off, it needs to be touched just the right way just to get it to work. while the other touch sensitive buttons work perfectly.

-the body of this phone feels pretty cheap and for the price im pretty pissed off they couldn't use some sturdy material.

OK now for the positives!

-touchwiz UI is not bad on this phone and adds a nice style to the android interface, and gives you 7 home screens.

-browser is awesome, there are also other browsers you can experiment with, as a former blackberry user the ability to view full webpages is just EPIC!

-the screen is nice and vibrant,the best out there! and very responsive
on June 9, 2011
Got this great phone for .01 on amazonwireless.com, same phone with upgrade discount at Sprint would have cost $161.61. That much of a saving alone should lead you want to try this phone, but if that's not enough than lets talk about the phone, Screen is the most clear and best I've see, the phone has all the bells and whistle anyone from a texting freak to a email got have news junkie would ever need. I'm just so glad I found it at this great savings and it works just the way I would want it, Thanks Samsung and thanks even more AmazonWireless.com nothing but BOO'S AND THUMBS DOWN to sprint.com phone sale and there inflated prices.
on June 19, 2012
I purchased this phone from Sprint. Had numerous problems with it. Was told that it was programming problems and same could be fixed by bringing it back it and
having the programming redone/updated. I had that done at least three times to the original phone. After that when problems continued, the first phone was
replaced with the same phone (only this second phone was supposedly reconditioned). Having the same problems with the second phone and have had it reprogrammed
at least once so far. Problems have included the following-not being able to end a phone call by pushing the end/red button-the phone then comes back on to that
call on its own; my face when speaking with someone on the phone causing other buttons to also turn on-was told the face plate of the phone was faulty and it was
replaced; the phone lighting up various buttons on its own while speaking to someone causing strange actions on phone-blamed on programming problems; the sound
being incredibly bad when listening to voice messages-reprogrammed again; poor text messaging ability with physical keyboard attached to phone-programming blamed;
other problems I am just to tired to list. I was told Samsung made great TVs so I should buy one of their phones. I make no comments on their TVs because I do not
own one but do not buy any of their phones. They are pieces of unreliable, attention loving crap.
on January 20, 2012
I read the one-star reviews, some of which were more about *Sprint* than the phone, which I think is most unfair to the phone itself.

That said, I had this phone from the time it first came on the market, with *Sprint*, and had absolutely no problems with it. I don't have this phone anymore, because my son got an iPhone, after buying the Galaxy Epic S II, only two weeks prior to the iPhone! I thought that was a waste of a new phone, so I gave my daughter this phone, and took the S II. (She did not want a virtual keyboard)

I wish I'd stayed with this phone. I miss the physical keyboard, very badly, mostly because I can actually type, and virtual keyboards just don't cut it. This phone seems to have better performance to me, but of course that's subjective. The phone has a great battery life, which of course will vary, by how it's used. A gamer can't expect it to keep up with all their multitasking, for instance - sheesh!

If you want a reliable, easy-to-operate phone, this is the one for you. If you're a gamer, or other type who needs something that'll do a zillion things at once, maybe this isn't your thing. On average, my battery lasted a day and a half, before needing a charge, despite my checking email, browsing, and playing board games on it (low res). I don't speak on the phone very much, (not even the land line) so I can't really comment on whether it holds up to constant calls. I *can* tell you that my 21 y/o daughter loves this phone, is constantly talking to her friends, among other things on it, and has had no problems whatsoever.
on December 10, 2011
I purchased this phone as part of a 2 year service agreement with Sprint, which both myself and sprint were expected to uphold. This was my first Droid phone, and I was very excited about my purchase. This was also a early Christmas present, my wife and I purchased for each other (I bought 2 phones). The phone itself was excellent, the display is beautiful, it was easy to use and fit nicely in my pocket. I purchased $100 in accessories for each phone in addition. The case I purchased was a nice rubber non slip case which helped to give my phone some stability while it was in my hand.

Upon receiving the phones I initially had trouble activating them both so I called tech support and was told to go to my local sprint store to have them activated. I went to the sprint store and although they were able to activate them without an issue the guy at the store was irritated by the fact that I purchased them online and not from a local store. He had a very poor attitude, and was not interested in answering any of my questions. I showed interest in purchasing a screen protector, but he was too busy watching a movie off his flash drive on the store computer to do anything more than a three minute activation, and physically point in the direction of the screen protectors. Because I was being received so poorly, I decided to leave and went to Radio Shack where they were enthusiastic about helping me, helped me to pick the screen protector I was looking for, and even installed it for free!

I brought the phones home and began using them. Locally the service was OK. I live in upstate, New York which is not really upstate at all unless you are from New York City. I am 35 minutes from NYC, not much of a stretch. The service was spotty compared to Verizon which I have had for years; Verizon worked flawlessly locally and pretty good at my house. I decided to go to Sprint because of the free data plan, as I was impressed by my friends Driod, and was interested in incorporating all the laptop like qualities of the phone into my personal life. Verizon's plans are more expensive but this is a typical case of "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!" As I had mentioned service was OK locally, spotty at times, and absolutely no 4G up here at all. My friends Verizon phone gets 4G no problem in this area. The real problems began at home. Initially, I had gone to a different Sprint store and was told I would get "good-fair" service at my house, which I felt was acceptable considering the Verizon service AT MY HOUSE was not much better. They took a look at this stupid little service map that suggested service would work in my location. I did not purchase a phone from them at that time because they wanted me to pay full price for both phone and amazon was selling them for far less. At the initial recommendation of "SPRINT" I purchased two phones expecting service at home. Well there was ABSOLUTELY NO SERVICE WHAT SO EVER AT MY HOUSE. Happy with my new phone itself and mesmerized by the display I spent Three (3) days walking around my home trying to find somewhere to set the phone so I could get at least one bar to receive phone calls, and then I could drive a couple miles up the road to call the person back if it was of any importance. In hind sight that would have been ridiculous, however I was so happy to have this new phone, I did not want to give it up. UNFORTUNATELY SPRINT WAS NOT GOING TO GIVE ME THE CHOICE. WHEN A FRIEND SUGGESTED I GIVE THEM A CALL FOR A PHONE BOOSTER FOR MY HOUSE, I MADE THE CALL TO SPRINT TECH SUPPORT AND THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD: THEY TOOK A LOOK AT MY ACCOUNT AND TOLD ME THAT WITHIN THE FIRST SEVEN (7) DAYS OF OWNERSHIP MY PHONE HAD ALREADY USED WAY TOO MUCH ROAMING TIME, I WAS COSTING THEM TOO MUCH MONEY, AND THEY WERE GOING TO TERMINATE MY SERVICE AT THE END OF THE MONTH. THEY GAVE ME THE OPTION OF EARLY TERMINATION AND I TOOK IT SO I DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FIRST MONTHS BILL, HOWEVER THEY TOLD ME I HAVE TO RETURN MY PHONES AND EAT THE COST OF THE ACCESSORIES I PURCHASED. I tried to argue that we have a contract to no avail. They told me I should move if I want to keep my phone. I argued once more that their own store told me I would have service at my house, and their response was that this is incorrect,... it is clearly shown on "the map" that this is a dead zone, and I should have never been told I would have service at my location... this was clearly no more than a sales tactic. OVERALL I FOUND BOTH THE LOCAL STORES AT MY LOCATION AND TECH SUPPORT TO BE UNFRIENDLY, UNHELPFUL, AND DOWNRIGHT CONDESCENDING! I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN AND URGE OTHERS TO LOOK ELSEWHERE. Worst part of this whole ordeal is that I was out of contact on my Verizon phone which I was paying only $40 per month for and had unlimited texting on. Now in order for me to go back to Verizon I have to start a new two year contact at god knows what cost and purchase new phones.
on October 4, 2011
My wife and I recently purchased new phones from Sprint and are quite happy with them. I purchased the HTC Evo 3D and my wife nabbed the Epic (primarily for its keyboard). While the Samsung Epic is getting a bit old, it still competes well with newer phones. My wife's impressions (and mine) are below:

Pros
+ It's a lightweight, attractive phone that gives you plenty of features and access to Sprint's 4G network.
+ The phone is well-crafted and extremely easy to use. Samsung is doing a great job of chasing Apple (too good if you keep up with legal news) and its products certainly threaten Apple's seeming stranglehold on appealing hardware.
+ The screen is simply beautiful to look at... set with active wallpaper, it comes alive.
+ The real QWERTY keyboard is an excellent feature which barely adds to the weight of the phone. If a real keyboard is a must, this phone presents a decent sized keyboard that rarely causes you to mis-type.
+ While the hardware doesn't stack up to the Evo 4G 3D, its plenty powerful. Videos do not stutter, it capably handles video calls, games work well, and downloads are smooth.
+ Call quality is crystal clear
+ For the individual who wants a smart phone that is easy to customize, easy to use, and gorgeous to look at, you could do much worse than the Samsung Epic.

Cons
- Others have mentioned this, but it appears Samsung may not be pushing to enable downloading the latest Android O/S update. If you simply need a good phone (with a keyboard) and are not a heavy app user or gamer, this probably won't affect you. If you need the latest and greatest, this could become a real issue down-the-road. I'm all for Samsung taking on Apple, but this is one page from the Jobs playbook that they shouldn't plagiarize.
- This phone is getting a bit long in the (blue)tooth. Its still a great phone but newer phones have better hardware stats. If that stuff matters to you, the Epic may not be for you.
- Battery life is a bit of a challenge. Fully charged will take you through the work day assuming you don't push it with constant web surfing/downloads and manage your connections (turn off 4G when not in use, turn off your wireless, etc).

Summary
The Epic is still a good phone for those consumers who don't need the latest/greatest hardware. It's a great phone if you need a real keyboard. I can't give it 5 stars due to the inability to upgrade to the latest OS (a real concern) but it should certainly last--and serve well--until Sprint offers an upgrade in two years time. Further, as its older you can probably get a nice deal on one.

We purchased our phones through Amazon Wireless which stacked up well against the provider sites and 3rd parties. Phones came on-time and ready to go...
on July 18, 2011
I don't know how I did work on the tiny screen of my Treo Pro. My Epic is fun, apps are cool as heck, and I'm getting better at extending the battery life. I think the battery really needs to be broken in before it gets the ability to last more than 6 hours.

I love the multitude of ways to type... slide out keyboard, swipe, portrait onscreen keyboard, landscape on screen keyboard.

Seems like a stable operating system, and I'm glad I invested in a new phone. I was going to get a tablet and keep my old phone, but I'm pleased with my decision to just get a new phone with a big enough screen.

*Update 08/25/2011*
Still love my new phone!! It's got it's quirks, but with all the fun software I'm loading on it, I don't blame it for getting kind of sluggish. A battery removal to reset it usually does the trick. I love all that I can do with my phone.

I HARDLY ever use the Qwerty keyboard, which is surprising to me. There are much more efficient ways to input your text.
on April 30, 2011
so i had originally planned on ordering a evo because i was IN LOVE with that phone. but then my mom went and bought herself a samsung epic. i was skeptical at first, then i got to playing around with it and i fell in love with it. so i ordered one, and im even more in love now. this screen is so big and bright, by far the best screen ive ever seen on any phone. and the moving backgrounds are great! i absolutely love this phone ! *oh and im a 16 year old girl just to let you know my point of view.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations