on January 19, 2012
I read the one-star reviews, some of which were more about *Sprint* than the phone, which I think is most unfair to the phone itself.

That said, I had this phone from the time it first came on the market, with *Sprint*, and had absolutely no problems with it. I don't have this phone anymore, because my son got an iPhone, after buying the Galaxy Epic S II, only two weeks prior to the iPhone! I thought that was a waste of a new phone, so I gave my daughter this phone, and took the S II. (She did not want a virtual keyboard)

I wish I'd stayed with this phone. I miss the physical keyboard, very badly, mostly because I can actually type, and virtual keyboards just don't cut it. This phone seems to have better performance to me, but of course that's subjective. The phone has a great battery life, which of course will vary, by how it's used. A gamer can't expect it to keep up with all their multitasking, for instance - sheesh!

If you want a reliable, easy-to-operate phone, this is the one for you. If you're a gamer, or other type who needs something that'll do a zillion things at once, maybe this isn't your thing. On average, my battery lasted a day and a half, before needing a charge, despite my checking email, browsing, and playing board games on it (low res). I don't speak on the phone very much, (not even the land line) so I can't really comment on whether it holds up to constant calls. I *can* tell you that my 21 y/o daughter loves this phone, is constantly talking to her friends, among other things on it, and has had no problems whatsoever.
on June 19, 2012
I purchased this phone from Sprint. Had numerous problems with it. Was told that it was programming problems and same could be fixed by bringing it back it and
having the programming redone/updated. I had that done at least three times to the original phone. After that when problems continued, the first phone was
replaced with the same phone (only this second phone was supposedly reconditioned). Having the same problems with the second phone and have had it reprogrammed
at least once so far. Problems have included the following-not being able to end a phone call by pushing the end/red button-the phone then comes back on to that
call on its own; my face when speaking with someone on the phone causing other buttons to also turn on-was told the face plate of the phone was faulty and it was
replaced; the phone lighting up various buttons on its own while speaking to someone causing strange actions on phone-blamed on programming problems; the sound
being incredibly bad when listening to voice messages-reprogrammed again; poor text messaging ability with physical keyboard attached to phone-programming blamed;
other problems I am just to tired to list. I was told Samsung made great TVs so I should buy one of their phones. I make no comments on their TVs because I do not
own one but do not buy any of their phones. They are pieces of unreliable, attention loving crap.
on September 6, 2010
I just bought the Samsung Epic 4G and have no complaints. I will update this review after more usage. But in my opinion between the Evo 4g and the Epic 4g, hands down the Epic wins. I have smaller hands and this phone is not too big. At first I was scared it would be too big for me, because of the dimensions, but you get used to it. The only thing that sucks is that there are not a lot of accessories for it.

UPDATE:
I have had it for about a month now and I still don't have complaints. Battery is not great but if you take off gps wifi and 4g options it will last longer. i can go a full day with this and be fine. Talking, texting, navigation. Swype is AWESOME. it predicts what i want to say. Took my phone on a weekend trip and took great pictures. Love the flash feature. Still looking for a case for it. I bought the Zagg Invisible Full Body shield for maximum protection.

Another great thing about the Epic is that you can buy an extra OEM battery and seperate charger for it!!! According to Sprint only Samsung products like instinct and EPIC have this option. The EVO does not and will not have that.

Hope you enjoy your phone as I am. :-)
on October 27, 2010
Over the past few years, in my humble opinion, Samsung has really become a powerhouse of quality. I am slowly changing every piece of electronics I own to Samsung, and I believe with the exception of the hard drive in this computer, this phone now completes my plot.

In short, this phone is an excellent device. The screen is AMOLED (a fairly new technology...before now I have only seen it on my Cowon mp3 player) and is just breathtaking. The slide out keyboard is a huge pleasure to use. A few of the early problems with the software in the phone have long since been fixed and all of these phones are now shipping with the latest updates, etc., and everything I've tried (ventrilo, yahoo messenger, google sky, Clayton Bixby soundboard LOL!, etc.) is just great. My wife at the same time got the HTC EVO 4G, which is a similar phone with almost identical functionalities except that the Evo does *NOT* have the AMOLED technology, nor does it have a keyboard. Compared side by side, the Epic's graphics are better, both in the screen technology, and in the frame rate (e.g., scrolling is ice-smooth in the Epic, and just a touch jerky in the Evo which you notice when they're side by side).

There are two things to point out however:

1) The wi-fi (i.e., to your home router) functionality in the phone is mediocre. The signal strength is not even close to what you'd expect in a device like a laptop. But of course, there's hardly any antenna in there for wi-fi, so what do you expect? Any place in your house to which your wireless router BARELY reaches will be unreachable from the Epic. (e.g., I can't get wifi in this phone on my back porch, and the laptop just barely makes it). This is probably true, uniformly, for any smart phone like this one, so I don't personally count it against the Epic 4G. My wife's EVO might be slightly better, but it's close.

2) The HTC Evo is a SOLID, DENSE piece of equipment with a metal case all around. The Samsung Epic is *NOT*. The Epic merely has sturdy molded plastic. There is a distinct difference in solidity when you hold both of them in your hand, and the Evo is NOTICEABLY heavier as a result.

But overall I'm very happy with this device. All of the complaints about "battery life is too short" seem ridiculous to me. I used the phone all day today on 3G and 4G networks and had over 50% left when I got home. It's 100% that this phone will last a normal person all day long without needing a charge; I have NO IDEA where all these battery complaints are coming from. This is the premium Android experience. Do not hesitate to get this. The marginally smaller screen than the Evo is barely a consideration in my opinion, especially when juxtaposed with the far more awesome AMOLED screen technology and outstanding pull out keyboard.

NOTE: Sprint is ridiculously optimistic in their 4G coverage maps. Do *NOT* expect to get the widespread coverage that they seem to indicate. I'm supposed to get EASY "in-home" 4G at my location...but there isn't even a WHISPER of a 4G signal in here. ZERO. When I go outside, I get ONE BAR and spotty signal. According to Sprint's street level maps, I should have been PINNED even inside the house. But, whatever, this didn't surprise me, and I am sure coverage is improving every day.
on October 27, 2010
I was evaluating this phone vs the Evo 4G to replace my former Samsung Moment. I spent a few weeks with each and ultimately decided on the Epic for a number of reasons which I'll try to list briefly:

Screen: 16 Million Colors vs the Evo's 64 Thousand Colors. This makes a HUGE difference in the clarity and color accuracy of the screen. Also, it is much more accurate for using Swype.

Speaker: When using the speaker for calls and music, it was much louder and much clearer than the Evo's. Obviously of higher quality.

Microphone: From the people I talked to on the phone, they said the Epic sounded clearer, less garbled. Also, when recording video it seemed to eliminate a lot more background noise.

Camera: While the Evo has a slightly higher Megapixel rating, the Epic's camera is far superior in color and clarity, no questions asked. The flash was comparable between both phones.

User Interface: Surprisingly enough, I found the Epic's TouchWiz interface to be a lot more functionally useful than the Evo's HTC Sense. Sense seemed cluttered and busy, while TouchWiz was simple, easy to figure out, and worked right out of the box.

Swype: This is a huge one... it took quite a bit of finagling to get Swype to work on the Evo, and even with that there's no guarantee it will continue to work or be supported. Because the Epic comes with Swype it will always be supported and stable. Even with the QWERTY Physical Keyboard, I find myself using Swype almost exclusively.

Memory: This is obvious, Epic comes with 16GB while Evo comes with 8GB... for the same price point, it just makes sense.

Headphones: The Samsung Headset that comes with the Epic is actually very high quality. It sounded significantly better than the seemingly identical set I bought for $20 to go with the Evo.

Battery Life: While the battery ratings and most benchmark tests seem to be comparable, I found the Epic to get much longer battery life... maybe this is just me, but that was my experience.

Other thoughts:
The charger / USB cable connects at the top of the phone and makes it a bit difficult to use the Qwerty keyboard while plugged in. Fortunately, Swype eliminates the need for *me* to use the Qwerty most of the time, so this isn't a big issue for me. At worst, just unplug it when you're actually typing.

The Evo already has Android 2.2, the Epic is running 2.1 but is scheduled to be updated to 2.2 by the end of November 2010.

There were some nice widgets that came with Sense, but because of the other points listed above, I didn't feel these were enough to justify keeping it.
on January 27, 2011
-keyboard doesnt fully register
-LACK OF COMMITMENT FROM SAMSUNG
-touchpiz bloatware
*buy some spare batteries

because it is a phone, review of hardware is coupled with the software.
first, the screen is almost impervious to scratches, and the rubberized rear cover feels nice. battery cover prys off easily, yet stays on solid. best battery cover implement ive used.

running stock android 2.1, phone is generally responsive, and all of the features (e.g. Gallery) are pretty cool, though of course these are features of the software and not exclusive to this phone

phone feels very flimsy, even compared to other slide-out keyboards (e.g. anything Motorola, or the G2). the 2 halves feel detached from each other. typing on the keyboard even slowly will miss 5-10% of your keypresses!!!!!!!!! many believe this is a function of the firmware. either way it is ANNOYING. it is nice, however, to have a dedicated #row, and hard keys for the android functions (home, menu, back, search).

camera generally very good, front camera is neat, speakerphone is decently loud, audio output on jack is decently good

BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS SAMSUNG IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SLOW WITH SOFTWARE UPDATES. SHOWS NO COMMITMENT FROM THE COMPANY. one could speculate it is sprints fault, or it is the american carriers to blame. but fact is the sprint HTC EVO has had 2.2 for a long time, nexus1 has had 2.2 for a long time , and SAMSUNG PHONES have had a long history of slow release. WHOEVER'S FAULT IT IS, ultimately it is the USERS of samsung phones left holding their scrote.

i wont buy another samsung phone.
on July 17, 2011
I don't know how I did work on the tiny screen of my Treo Pro. My Epic is fun, apps are cool as heck, and I'm getting better at extending the battery life. I think the battery really needs to be broken in before it gets the ability to last more than 6 hours.

I love the multitude of ways to type... slide out keyboard, swipe, portrait onscreen keyboard, landscape on screen keyboard.

Seems like a stable operating system, and I'm glad I invested in a new phone. I was going to get a tablet and keep my old phone, but I'm pleased with my decision to just get a new phone with a big enough screen.

*Update 08/25/2011*
Still love my new phone!! It's got it's quirks, but with all the fun software I'm loading on it, I don't blame it for getting kind of sluggish. A battery removal to reset it usually does the trick. I love all that I can do with my phone.

I HARDLY ever use the Qwerty keyboard, which is surprising to me. There are much more efficient ways to input your text.
on September 3, 2010
This is my first android phone and i have to say i am highly impressed by what i see. Although there are already plenty of things already annoying me about this phone. instead of writing a paragraph i will just list some annoyances.

-power button is too small and placed to far back on the phone, which means your always trying to feel your way to it instead of it just being habitual and its the only button you can press to wake it up.

-slide out keyboard is not that comfortable to use, and the space bar is too small. and found the 4 short cut keys on each side not that useful for me. (but thats just me)I'm finding myself using the virtual keys more than i do the physical.

-the back button seems to be a little off, it needs to be touched just the right way just to get it to work. while the other touch sensitive buttons work perfectly.

-the body of this phone feels pretty cheap and for the price im pretty pissed off they couldn't use some sturdy material.

OK now for the positives!

-touchwiz UI is not bad on this phone and adds a nice style to the android interface, and gives you 7 home screens.

-browser is awesome, there are also other browsers you can experiment with, as a former blackberry user the ability to view full webpages is just EPIC!

-the screen is nice and vibrant,the best out there! and very responsive
on June 8, 2011
This phone could have been super awesome. The keyboard is incredible--its big, roomy, and responsive. The screen is amazing. And i found the call quality not too bad (ok this is partially from coming from a 2 year old blackberry)

The phone itself had some bizarre quirks that didn't bother me too much. Then, after the update to 2.2 froyo, the whole thing went to hell. All of the notifications are wacky and pop up randomly and repeatedly. It opens programs at random all the time. It repeatedly plays one particular voicemail on speaker phone at random even if the phone is locked. To complement programs randomly opening, I get several force closes a day on the most basic of programs. It turns on chat clients while I'm sleeping Then upon searching these issues, I'm finding people on forums all over with the same or similar (sometimes worse) problems. Even if I went back to android 2.1, it asks you if you want to update at least once an hour (this is how I updated--i clicked it by accident and then there's no going back).

I returned it--it wasn't worth it to me to jump through all these hopes just to get an expensive phone to work semi normally.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 9, 2011
Got this great phone for .01 on amazonwireless.com, same phone with upgrade discount at Sprint would have cost $161.61. That much of a saving alone should lead you want to try this phone, but if that's not enough than lets talk about the phone, Screen is the most clear and best I've see, the phone has all the bells and whistle anyone from a texting freak to a email got have news junkie would ever need. I'm just so glad I found it at this great savings and it works just the way I would want it, Thanks Samsung and thanks even more AmazonWireless.com nothing but BOO'S AND THUMBS DOWN to sprint.com phone sale and there inflated prices.