Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Ramirez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

on April 29, 2011
so i had originally planned on ordering a evo because i was IN LOVE with that phone. but then my mom went and bought herself a samsung epic. i was skeptical at first, then i got to playing around with it and i fell in love with it. so i ordered one, and im even more in love now. this screen is so big and bright, by far the best screen ive ever seen on any phone. and the moving backgrounds are great! i absolutely love this phone ! *oh and im a 16 year old girl just to let you know my point of view.
on September 21, 2010
This is my first smart phone, so maybe I'm not the most sophistcated reviewer in the world, but so far, this thing does everything I hoped it would (and does it quickly and easily) and a LOT more. I've only had it for a couple weeks so far, and I feel like I've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

I. LOVE. THIS. PHONE.
on January 9, 2012
More of a ramble across a number of areas.. the phone, the service provider, the content provider... critiquing cloud products almost induces rambling... so if you don't like that.. you might want to skip this review.

The good new is that the phone runs Android. On Sprint, the current version at this writing is 2.3.5. That gives you decent Android services which you may already be familiar with. The other good parts are the full keyboard, the amazing display, the wifi/4g sharing option, the dual camera (front/back) and reasonably good external speaker, and excellent internal speaker. gps/bluetooth are almost givens. Portrait/landscape tilt are fairly responsive. Removable battery is great for sharing batteries with others in the family, as well as having extra on hand when traveling (which I do 40% of the time - I have 4 batteries, which gives a good 2-3 days service while commuting 10,000 miles between airports.)

The bad parts of the phone - software - filesystem - the file system is painfully slow. Sprint / Samsung chose to go with a file system format that is not designed for speed. This decision is what really kills the performance on this phone. There is noticable lag when you use the phone and switch between apps and the desktops. You must be selective and streamline what apps you run on the phone. This leads you to becoming a guru at moving apps between your SD card and the phone memory, and also loading/unloading apps.

The lag also induces double tap annoyance errors - did it accept my input? or did I miss it? Since the touch capabilities on the android platform aren't 100% accurate sometimes the lag / tap makes you wonder if the phone accepted your input, and you tap again, leading to undesirable results, or if you are cautious, you wait, and then you are annoyed due to additional lag as the phone processes your request, or you discover your tap didn't actually get recognized.

GPS - Sometimes just stops working while in use.. you need to exit out of nav, and back in.. good times when driving in traffic. Sometimes, that doesn't work. You have to reboot the phone. Even more awesome... Good thing we have 2 phones. :)

Bluetooth - sometimes the phone will 'see' the remote device, but doesn't actually 'link' until you have redone an entire cycle of 'syncing' this is rare, random but does occur.

Battery life - you will either tether constantly or buy batteries. Buying batteries from Sprint stores is nearly impossible, and the market is flooded with low cost cheap imitation (pirated?) batteries. I have found only 1 reputable dealer who sells the battery + cradle + usb power supply that is Samsung OEM NIB Retail.

I have been to no less than 3 sprint stores from Portland, OR to Jersey City, NJ and none has ever had the retail package available. Given this is their 'best phone' as the one is Portland, OR said (both Corporate and non-Corporate owned stores have said this btw) you have to wonder why they aren't offering additional batteries in stock?

Other service problems are that the phone runs on 2.3.5 - Sprint is painfully slow in updating and you will not be happy to find that the built in bluetooth service won't work with external devices as of this writing. Additionally, the small screen and lack of USB video driver support means you won't be able to use an external display just yet. Once Sprint and Google deliver updates to the software to support both of these features, you are looking at a fairly stable hardened platform that can deliver mail, web, shopping, banking, movies/videos, social, games, phone, SMS, GPS, navigation, mapping and for the unix guys out there SCP/SFTP/SSH in a small package.

So, if you're in it for the long haul, aren't prone to hopping service providers, and want a phone that is reasonable decent that you work around with Google then you have selected a good option.

For the price of the service contracts, coverage of 3g/4g, version of the app and ooh, ahh factor for the screen/flip keyboard it's 'good enough', which seems to be what sells in most markets these days.
on August 6, 2011
I've owned this phone for 9 months, and after the first couple of "honeymoon" months, it has been getting progressively worse with spontaneous rebooting and locking up while in use. It spontaneously restarts itself once or twice per day, and completely locks up three or four times per day. I've lost count of the number of times the phone has woken me up as it recharges on my nightstand at 4 AM due to a 3+1 vibrating pattern it loops through when it locks up (I don't have it set to vibrate for ANY notifications). The only way to make the phone operable again after it locks up is to remove the battery- none of the buttons are operable when a lock-up happens. The phone has been wiped twice by Sprint and they have determined that the issue is not related to software. Luckily, Sprint is running an open enrollment for August 2011 for their Total Equipment Protection Plan ($8/Mo) and I can get a replacement phone through them in a few days- otherwise, I'd be subject to Samsung's manufacturer's warranty (I have 3 more months left under the 1-year mfr warranty), which would take longer. If you have this phone through Sprint, I recommend enrolling in Sprint's TEP Plan this month to avoid any future heartache. I actually like this phone, but the issues I've experience with it are definitely a deal-breaker for me. I'd request a replacement phone from a different manufacturer if I could, but the TEP plan requires 3 replacement cycles before a different phone can be substituted. I'm hoping that I don't have to go through 3 replacement cycles to get a properly operating Samsung Epic 4G phone!!! By the way, I am not in any way associated with Sprint (other than being their customer) and do not receive any compensation from Sprint whatsoever. Their service has been excellent so far throughout this frustrating experience.
on February 27, 2011
...I obtained this phone shortly after it was released. If I recall correctly, I've had this phone since, roughly, last August (2010). In that time, there have been instances when I came very close to throwing it as far as I possibly could. Other times, I've thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There are other reviewers here who have provided far more technical, detailed and all-together better reviews than I am capable of providing on a product such as this. Further, now that over one hundred some odd reviews have been posted, I can't really provide much that will offer any insight greater than that which has already been provided. But, I will offer my 2 cents.

I came to the Droid world from a Blackberry. I loved my Blackberry. I still miss it. That said, this phone offers far more than I ever had on my Blackberry. Web-browsing, wifi capability (and the ability to use the phone as a wifi/"hotspot" for, say, your laptop), apps, an excellent camera/video-camera, video-conferencing, it comes with a 16gb micro sd card which provides for incredible storage of photos, music, videos, pictures, etc.etc., etc., etc. Its capabilities go on and on and, by the way, yes, it does work as a telephone as well. However other times, I find it has "network" issues such that email accounts will not sync, the browser is excruciatingly slow, GPS places me roughly 3,200 miles away from where I actually am, etc. Point being, it has issues which, sometimes, force me to do a "battery pull" to reset the phone. It's annoying, particularly because I never experienced such things with Blackberry, with the exception of a mere few times where the Blackberry network was toast from coast to coast...for a little while anyway. But with this Droid, I've found such problems are far more frequent/numerous. Maybe it's more of a Sprint issue than it is a phone issue, frankly, I'm not really sure but can only offer that I didn't experience such things with my Blackberry (even though it too was with Sprint).

In terms of its use as an actual phone, I've never had any issues with "dropped" calls being any more problematic than with any other phone; the speaker works great, while video-conferencing has proven somewhat slow, broken-up and such that I just don't do it...but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I could do it if I wanted to do it, right? Right. But, it does work great as a phone.

All in all, not a bad phone. Indeed, it is just "ok." It does offer an array of services and capabilities which are almost dizzying...far more than my Blackberry did (at that time anyway). All things considered, I probably do prefer it over my Blackberry, but not by all that much.

Recommended.

_______________________________________________

UPDATE - Oct. 2011:

The day that Sprint offered the Apple iPhone 4s, I took this Droid down to my local Sprint store and said "good riddance" once and for all. For the sake of preserving my original review, I'll keep the original "three star" rating in place, but rest assured, as time wore on, that particular Droid became more problematic, requiring "battery pulls" about four to five times per day, with text, GPS and email service basically being worthless as well. I have never been more delighted to get rid of a phone than I was this particular Droid...particularly in favor of the iPhone 4s.

Good riddance!
on January 24, 2011
* Previous touch-screen smartphones I've owned over the past few years:
T-Mobile Sidekick, T-Mobile G1, Droid, Samsung Intercept

The Epic blows them all out of the water and it's not even close.

My favorite features
*The Screen
--it's crystal clear and the best screen I've seen on any phone (including the iphone)
--it's big.. watching video or playing games or using apps, there's just a ton of real estate.
*The Speed
--By speed I mean the speed of the response time of navigating throughout the phone (apps/games/calls/msging)
there almost NO lag time when compared to some of the other, aforementioned phones that I've owned.
*The Keyboard
--by FAR the best keyboard on any phone i've ever used- both onscreen and physical.
The onscreen keyboard is touchy, but not too touchy and I've been using SWYPE typing more and more
and it's pretty amazing. The commercials make it look like it might be difficult, but once u get used to it
you probably won't type long messages w/out it. Short messages I still just slide out the physical keyboard.
Which is nice because it's got 3 features I love!
----a FULL row dedicated for 0-9 (no more hitting shift keys to get #s)
----A emoticon button (which triggers an onscreen menu to select which one you want)
----NAVIGATION BUTTONS (Menu, Home, Back, Search) ..Makes navigating in web-browsing super slick.
*Android OS of course
--Once you go Android you never go back. Yeah it doesn't rhyme, but it makes sense. So many great apps
with more released daily. Some of my must haves are..
~Where's my Droid (allows you to find your droid if it's on silent or even via GPS)
~Dolphin Browser (best browser on Android -tabbed browsing, easy nav, fast)
~Easytether/PDAnet (tethering apps, which is a great way to use your phones internet if don't want to pay for the tethering data plan)
~ShopSavvy (scanner app)
~Handcent SMS(Iphone like messaging)
~Pandora (internet music)
~Stitcher (podcast app)
~TuneIn Radio (tune into AM/FM radio programs)
~Fandango (movie theater app)
~The Weather Channel (weather app)
~Talking Tom (fun little app where you can get a cat to do some cool stuff)
~Angry Birds (highly addictive game)

The Cons?
-(as of this review) Still on Android 2.1 (seriously Samsung??..cmon...)
- Missing my favorite feature of the DROID contact list ([x] - Send calls from this user directly to voicemail)
- It's sorta bulky, especially if you put a case on it like I did... but just wear cargo pants/shorts and you're good to go :)
- Battery life is below avg -- But there are a few tricks you can use to get this to be extend it (look at some of the other
reviews here for some good ideas such as setting your background to be BLACK, turn off GPS, 4G when not using) to name a few
on October 19, 2010
1st...these seem to be the low points of this phone, so i'll get this out of the way:
1) gps works fine (now?). google navigation is awesome
2) turn off apps when you're done using them (4g, wifi, gps, location finder via wireless networks, bluetooth, etc.). my battery lasts all day; however, i will admit...i doubt you can get more than 3 or 4 hours talk time.
3) i heard people complaining about the difficulty seeing the screen outdoors prior to buying my phone so i immediately bought an anti-reflective screen protector from sprint (they installed it for me). the only time i have trouble seeing the screen is when it's very bright outside. when i turn on the brightness (which a lot of people probably leave on all the time) i see fine.

reasons i am blown away:
very quick & responsive even when several apps running, touch keyboard is much better than i thought it'd be (especially with 'swype key'); hence, the reason i got a phone with actual keyboard (which i still use for longer typing). recorded video is definitely better than expected (720p). only complaint there is that it doesn't handle moving objects very well while taking still pictures.

reasons i am not blown away...yet:
until android 2.2 is available for the epic 4g streaming video (such as espn3) is not viewable (even with skyfire) and voice command over bluetooth is not available. epic is supposed to get the android 2.2 sometime soon (people have been saying this for months...i'm sure many are sick of waiting). android 2.2 is supposed to cut the browser rendering in half (according to tests with other phones loading 2.1 vs 2.2), speed up the phone's app processing, and slightly increase battery life.
regardless of android OS, netflix's app isn't available...yet and samsung hasn't come out with the micro-usb to hdmi cable...yet.
this phone has been out for nearly a year so i must say that i'm not very impressed with samsung's efforts thus far. it appears that htc (with the evo) is ahead of the game.

the evo already has the above features (android 2.2 and hdmi cable) other than netflix (which isn't available for droid yet), but once the epic has them (in the near future) i don't think i'll be able to imagine a better phone. but then again...that may be a while???
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought the phone back in August of 2010, and was impressed only because i was naive as to what a good phone is supposed to do. After owning it for less than a year i was getting extremely frustrated with the phone. It was getting sluggish, for no apparent reason, the battery life was awful. I couldn't receive picture messages unless I was on wifi or 4g. 4g is extremely spotty especially in the O.C. The phone's app's were constantly force closing. Opening apps, took far too long. So after less than a year, i hated this phone. Most of these problems could have been fixed if Samsung supported there products, but they do not. So the consumer ends up with a mildly decent product for about 6 months, after which they are so frustrated with, they're basically forced to buy a new "faster" phone, so that precious seconds aren't wasted from their life. Thus continues the vicious circle of crap released by phone company and phone manufactures. Of course there are exceptions to this, but samsung is not one of those exceptions.
However there is light at the end of this tunnel. There is a myriad of 3rd party developers that release wonderful modified or updated ROMS for the android OS. These ROMS are finely tuned and optimized to take full advantage of the phones hardware. Because of these creative and intelligent souls, I now own a phone that i can be proud of. It's faster, smoother, glitch free and works damn near flawlessly.
.Im not one of those people that have to have the latest and greatest the day its released. I buy products with the intentions of getting the most out of them and take pride in keeping my 1yr old antique phone running great. Dont get caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones's.
on March 2, 2011
I went to this phone from a BB Curve 8330. It took a couple days to get used to it, but it blows BB out of the water! Initially I wanted the Epic for three main reasons. 1) The screen is simply incredible! It's far more colorful and crisper than the Evo. 2) The slide out keyboard, which I don't even use anymore now that I've mastered the Swype feature ;) 3) The camera is by far the best I've ever seen on a mobile phone. Don't let the pixel count fool you. There are other phones boasting a higher pixel count, but the phone's ability to process the picture is what makes the difference. I know many people who have the Evo and I've compared their pictures vs mine-not even close!

In regards to some of the issues that others have talked about pertaining to GPS, I've never had the issue but I know some who have.

Also, pertaining to the Froyo update. Yes it would be nice to be able to use Flash. Yes I would like better bluetooth usage. Until we finally do get the update to either Froyo or Gingerbread I can wait. I'm overjoyed with this phone and would recommend it to anybody.

Oh yeah almost forgot the barry life. Be aware if you buy this phone or any of the large screen phones, that big beautiful screen does to your battery what a big V-8 does to gas! The Epic does have an automatic brightness setting that monitors the lighting around you and adjusts automatically. The phone comes with a built in task manager to help you control what programs are running in the background. You can also set it so that your phone isn't constantly checking social media, ie-Twitter and FB, for updates. That on its own will really extend your battery.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2012
Below is a copy and paste job of an email I just forwarded to Sprint and Samsung. I have spent literally (in the real sense of the word, no hyperbole intended) over 24 hours of my time speaking with customer service, advanced tech support, going to local sprint repair stores, etc. to address issues with this phone. I highly suggest that people think twice before purchasing this phone. I am on my third one and am waiting for a fourth. I hope this helps.

This is not an inquiry, it's a statement. I have a Samsung Epic that is the bane of my existence. This phone is almost as frustrating and inconsistent as my HTC Hero. Here are the issues with the phone: multiple "connection lost errors" despite active wifi connection, GPS DOES NOT WORK (not in Philadelphia, a major city, not in Tucson AZ, a major city that is totally flat with no mountains, not in NYC, and not in my home area, Scranton PA, even right next to my girlfriend who also has Sprint but has a Motorolla when her GPS worked fine, the phone seems to prefer to give me an endless "searching for GPS" message rather than doing its job, I lose data connections like it is the primary function of the phone to do so (this requires a soft reset to fix, which it does not always do and which drains the battery significantly throughout the day), data won't send with active 3g connection, charger port has bad connection, and recently phone calls and texts won't go through even with full bars. This is my third Epic since I purchased the original and I'm waiting for my fourth. I'm not sure if it's the service or the equipment, but the whole experience is pitiful.

Sincerly,