on November 13, 2010
I've had the phone about 3 weeks. Came from a Palm Treo (a very solid device), and I'm loving the Epic.

Pros:
Fast, hundreds of useful apps, stable device. Screen is amazing. Battery life was very poor the first few days(wouldn't last the whole work day on a charge) but has improved so it has about a half-charge left at the end of the day (and this is with push e-mail, and other programs running). Love Kindle for Android, Pandora, podcasts, pre-loaded Swype.

Cons:
The power button is in an odd place, and the slider is very responsive, so I often find myself pushing it slightly open when trying to power off the screen. Found out belatedly that Android 2.1 doesn't support Exchange 2010 server for calendar sync (email and contacts did just fine), but am using NitroDesk Touchdown app for work email/calendar/contacts/tasks, and actually like it better than native app. Hoping Samsung lives up to its promises and releases the 2.2 upgrade before the end of November.

Bought the Epic because of the hard keyboard but like many others, now prefer Swype. Considered switching to T-Mobile and getting the Vibrant, without hard keyboard, but like my Sprint service and plan (current SERO users: note there is a new premium SERO plan that is compatible with this phone if you're willing to go through twelve customer service calls to get it). My colleague got a Droid Pro at the same time, and it pales in comparison to this device. Epic is expensive but worth it.
on September 3, 2010
I bought one from Sprint because I couldn't wait the extra several weeks to save $50 on Amazon. I've been waiting for this phone for a loong time.
+ Numeric row on physical keyboard makes real note and contact entry much faster. I've used Palm Treo's for years for this reason. Little shifting.
- Buttons are not raised enough to prevent bumping the wrong keys. Hard little bumps like the Treo or blackberry keyboards are as easy to type on as this monster, so the size was wasted due to bad choice of keys. I'm thinking of putting glue bumps on there already.
+ Great display
- Battery only lasts if you are very careful with what you use and enable, and charge often. Phone gets hot when recharging, and once even overheated and shut down due to the back side being on a foam couch (and in a skin) while recharging. For something that needs to be plugged in constantly, the charge connector is finiky and in the wrong place (top). Expect to buy a couple of extra chargers, one for every place you want to park it.
+ Android apps! Yay! Free coolness! Some seriously great stuff.
- Sprint wants $30/Mo to enable the wifi hotspot feature, which only works as well as the local signal strength. For example, don't pick the phone up and use it while streaming music over the hot spot, it will drop out.
-+ Will improve somewhat once they get 2.2 on it.
on May 16, 2011
Well I started off with a free LG Optimus an it was constantly mistyping and crashing. I moved to the Epic..thinking...well you get what you pay for..so lets get a good phone that might actually last a year or two. I have good things to say abou the Epic but some bad ones and bad stuff about the Operating System/ or firmware. The first thing I noticed, that many average people haven't is that the date is cutt off. I use the date alot, which pops up on the screensaver. It's always Monday May ___ and then does show the time. Major bug. Then the bluetooth voice dialer. Since most people that buy nice phones, probably use the bluetooth...maybe it would be nice to have a volume control??? there is no setting for volume, and like the last phone it says "please speak now" at sucha a low volume that you aren't quite sure what she's saying, especially when driving. Then when you dial and it repeats what you dialed ...again you can't hear what's going on, so when it misdials, bad bad bad....oh wait...I lied...it does have a volume control..but it's only after you hit voicedial and you have to manually raise the volume with the external volume controls and when you are done...it loses the setting. Ok let me take a break from the bad and let you know that this is a really nice phone, receptive, set up well. Great graphics and sound. keyboard is good nice pics...style is good..it is a bit big...but it has always been a good thing for me...movies and music run great..
ok now more bad... The gallery app started failing almost immediately...the pics would completely dissapear...i rebooted and started taking pics..and again...a few days and poof they are gone....angry birds starts not working and not popping up when started. After a bit i did some internet searching and there is a folder that I found the pics in...but they are no longer in the gallery. Angry birds which is a basic app, which i love, never stays up long enough to get through three or 4 screens. Might be Rovios fault some, but the phone seems buggy...not sure most other games work fine. oh also on the Good side, the battery does fairly well for as much as you get, huge screen and app and phone, not bad for battery life, but as with most of these new smartphones, you have to get used to chargeing more often. ok..back to the bad...the chat/ texting feature..that comes with the phone is really nice...except when you get a pic...all pics show up sideways annnd so you flip the phone..and #$$#*() it flips sideways again...and again...and again... OK HELLOOOO???? we pay 200 for a nice phone and you guys haven't seen all these bugs??? The industry is in a hurry to get these phone out and sell em as the latest competition to the iphone, and they want to get the money rolling in and catch up with the updates later?? not good business.. ok go onto Sprint.com or the samsung Epic forums and both places the actuall foum on the Epics is constant complaints on the Epic...everyone constantly asks for the 2.3 Gingerbread update that is supposed to fix most everything now. AND on these forums, they have moved the main forum where everyone complains..to the backround...so you have to search for it..and they dont get bad press. Meanwhile we pay for a nice phone with bugs. Ok so these are my main complaints...I honestly like the phone but this is my second andriod phone now...and the Lg and now Samsung Epic are giving me a bad picture here....i was going to pay the early terminations on all three of my phones and Sprint convinced me not to...for a deal on the Epic...now i think in a year...I'm going to cancell and get an Iphone..because it Works. Advice, dont get the Epic or any phone without Gingerbread (Andriod) 2.3... Make them give you a phone that is worth the money you spend and one sided contract you have to sign.
on April 5, 2011
Before I start the review, let me preface it by saying that I ordered this phone through Amazon and had no problems with ordering or delivery. Let me also say that I would rate this phone 5 stars when it functions. The problem is that it doesn't function properly often enough.

I bought this phone in November after doing a lot of research into smartphones. I was previously an ATT customer, and my wife has had an Iphone for several years. I personally think the Iphone is overpriced and decided to make my first smartphone an android. The features that I was looking for were a nice screen, slide out keyboard, and I also liked Sprint's price plan. The phone delivers in abundance on those aspects.

I received the phone and was quickly impressed by all it could do. I began installing apps at a rapid pace. The first problem I noticed was during the first couple of weeks. The phone froze up and I had to open the back cover, take out the battery, and put it back in to reboot it. It didn't happen very often, and being new to smartphones I thought that all smartphones had this issue. As the weeks went on, it started happening more and more often. There were no patterns to it either. Sometimes it would be in my pocket for hours and I would take it out to find it frozen. Other times, it would be charging while I slept. I would wake up to find it frozen and uncharged. It began to happen on a daily basis and be quite a pain. I did some research on the internet and found some forums where others described similar problems. They mentioned doing a factory data reset, and some found success. I found this option in the menu, and did it. I decided to only install apps that were fairly well known, and had many good reviews (i.e. yelp, opentable, pandora) This seemed to help for about 3 days, and then the freezing problems started again.

Sometime in January, I was running some errands and the phone froze again. I happened to be near a Sprint store so I brought it into them in the frozen state. They had me leave it for a couple of hours to run some "diagnostics". When I picked it up, they said they just did a factory data reset. I'm not sure why it took a couple of hours, because it only took a couple of minutes when I did the exact same thing. They asked if I had Android Task Killer installed, which I did. They said that was most likely the cause. I asked them if it happened again, could I have it replaced as I have the equipment repair/replacement option on my plan? They said only if I brought it in frozen and did not have any apps installed other than what's on there from the reset. What good is having a smartphone if it can't run apps? After this reset it began working a little better, and would only freeze a couple of times a week, instead of daily. My wife had a baby and things became pretty hectic, so the phone problems slipped down my priority list. I also learned that by pressing the volume, power, and camera buttons at the same time, I could reboot it without removing the battery.

A couple of weeks ago, I received the over the air update to 2.2. I hoped this would solve some of the problems I was having. I was very wrong. The freezing issues started happening daily or even several times a day. When I would reboot the phone, it would have 40-50% less battery life than before it froze. It is also constantly shutting itself off for no reason. Yesterday, I did another factory data reset and will wait and see how it goes. So far it hasn't frozen, but it has shut itself down while it was charging. I don't have time to wait for it to freeze and then run over to the Sprint store, but if I have the opportunity I will. Hopefully they will be willing to just replace it. If not, than Sprint will have lost a customer for life.
on January 6, 2011
This is my first smartphone. I purchased it on launch day (August 31), so I've had four months to play with it. I'll review its strengths and weaknesses in a few categories:

SCREEN:
AWESOME! Apple's iPhone 4 screen is sharp, but nothing beats the super-dark blacks and vibrant colors of a Super AMOLED. 4 inches is perfect too -- it's not too big to fit in a jeans pocket

KEYBOARD:
Very well done, with an excellent layout. It occasionally misses a keystroke, though.

CAMERA:
I almost never take my Canon PowerShot to parties anymore. The still photo quality in good light is awesome, but photos in low light with flash look a little bit muddy and noisy. Plenty good enough. Video quality is awesome -- you'll definitely have no need for a Flip camcorder if you're carrying the Epic.

THE SPRINT NETWORK:
I have used Sprint for 10 years, but only with flip phones. Call quality is pretty good, and I almost never drop a call. The earpiece is a little buzzy at high volumes. The 3G is excellent everywhere I go -- I live in Houston, TX, but it also works great in Austin, DFW, and Seattle. 4G is spotty and it'll suck the daylights out of your battery if you keep it turned on when not in a 4G area.

BATTERY LIFE:
It usually lasts a whole day with moderate usage. Turn off GPS, Wifi, and 4G if you're not using them to save juice.

SOFTWARE:
Android rocks; there are over 100,000 apps to choose from. However, sometimes the Epic lags a little when scrolling through the menus. Which brings me to my biggest beef about the Epic: As of 1/6/2011, Froyo has still not been released on the Epic, or any other Samsung Galaxy S phones in the US. The EVO has had Froyo since August.

CONCLUSION:
The hardware (especially the screen) is great, but the spotty 4G network and Samsung's poor software support leave me somewhat lukewarm. Take a look at Motorola and HTC Android phones instead. However -- the Epic is a lot of fun to use, and it sure beats a flip phone!

Update (1/25/11): Samsung still hasn't released Froyo. I rooted the phone, and I installed the TrulyEpic Rebirth ROM, which is based on a leaked version of Froyo. Everything is much smoother now, and the GPS locks within 4 foot accuracy. However, the rooting process is not for the faint of heart and there's a chance you may brick the phone. The average Joe shouldn't have to do this to get a properly updated phone. Thus, I reduced the rating to two stars. If you want a phone with a keyboard, get the new EVO Shift instead.
on November 20, 2010
I've been with T-Mobile now for a few years, and I read some pretty cool things about the Samsung Epic, so my wife and I each gave one a shot under Sprint's 30 day "test drive." Long and short -- the Epic didn't live up to what we were hoping for, and we ended up sticking with T-Mobile (and got the T-Mobile G2). (Note -- neither of us work for either company, and have absolutely no connection or dedication to either company.) Here are our pros and cons on the Epic:

Pros:
-- Brilliant, eye-catching screen. Super AMOLED is incredible. This is one area where the Epic is a little nicer than the T-Mobile G2. (The Epic screen is a little over-saturated, and the G2 renders colors a little more naturally, but all in all, the Epic has a great screen.)

-- Physical keyboard has a lot of useful keys; all four capacitative buttons from front face of phone are duplicated on the keyboard. Dedicated row of number keys is nice.

-- Sprint 4G (when you can get it, and you're not concerned about burning up the battery) is very fast.

Cons:
-- TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE battery life (even after exchanging for a different phone and battery). I could never get more than 8-10 hours of standby/use under very average use; a few days I didn't even make it through the day. (I use my phone for basic business emailing, infrequent texting, and occasional web-browsing when bored.) I even did extensive internet research on how to improve battery life, and pretty much every idea I found involved disabling or shutting off every feature that makes the Epic useful/fun/cool. And don't even think about using the fancy Sprint 4G too much -- that drains the Epic's battery faster than anything (which is a little annoying, given that you pay $10/line/month for the 4G.) What's the point of having a phone where you can't use anything on it??? The battery life issues are by far the most common complaint I have seen re: the Epic, and my experience was no different. (By point of contrast, in my second day of use with the T-Mo G2, I got 24 hours of typical standby/use. For me, that is an acceptable battery life for one of these high-powered smartphones.)

-- Painfully slow charger. The Epic took over 4 hours to go from 15-20% power to full charge. (Again, only by point of contrast, my G2 recharges in about 2 hrs. I've read that Samsungs in general don't charge very fast.)

-- A little pricey. The Epic is $250 after the $100 rebate...by contrast, you can get other Android phones on other carriers for $150-200. When you are dealing with two phones, as we were, the $100-$200 difference isn't chump change.

-- Still no Android 2.2 for any Samsung phone!!! (On every other Android phone, OS 2.2 has been out for months. Again, Samsung phones are typically behind on the OS updates.) That means no Flash support, so a lot of webpages will have blanks or unplayable embeds. On a similar point, Samsung doesn't use straight Android -- they have their own overlay operating system on top of the Android layout. (I've read this is what slows down the OS updates.) I didn't like the Samsung overlay OS; much prefer the plain Android. The Samsung overlay OS is bloated and not particularly intuitive, and I believe slows this phone down. Android OS ain't broke, don't try and fix it Samsung! Just give us 2.2 Froyo!

-- The phone is a little bulky. The weight was good on the Epic (noticeably lighter than the T-Mobile G2), but the Epic is larger in size. I really feel like Epic exceeded the sweet spot in terms of its size. The Epic was also little "plasticky" (compared with a lot of brushed metal on the G2), but that does probably help out the Epic with the weight.

-- Sprint 4G is not particularly functional. This is not a complaint about the Epic per se, but is nevertheless relevant to this phone. As I noted above, when you get the Epic, you must pay $10/month/line for Sprint 4G. (That $10/month over a two year contract is $240, and nearly $500 on two lines!!) In the three weeks that I tried the Epic, I used the 4G service *maybe* 5 times (my wife even less). Why? First, battery life, as noted above. You can't leave the 4G radio on th Epic on all the time, b/c it will halve your battery life. Second, the process of getting on Sprint 4G is clunky -- you have to first turn on the 4G radio, then wait for it to connect, and then (if it actually connects), got to the browser and pull up the webpage. By point of contrast, with my T-Mo G2, the phone will automatically connect to the higher speed, 4G T-Mobile network if it is available. Thus, you don't have to take all the additional steps as with the Sprint phones. In just one week of use of the G2, I've actually gotten to make use of T-Mo's 4G network more than in the three weeks I had the Epic. (I know Sprint's 4G is technically supposed to be faster than T-Mo 4G HSPA+, but not by much (we tested the Epic and the G2 side by side), and when you account for the unfunctionality of the Sprint 4G, it's simply not worth it.)

Hope this helps those of you who are out there shopping around.
on September 3, 2010
Well what else can be said that hasn't been already....
- The Super Amoled screen is just amazing, although now on day 3 with my phone I already have a dead pixel(I wonder if that would merit a hardware replacement any thoughts?) It's tiny i know but still bugs me especially since I've only had it for a few days.

- The keyboard is very roomy, though(like any phone) it takes getting used to. Coming from a T-mobile G1 I could text pretty quickly without ever having to look down at the keyboard. I hope I can get to the same level with this phone.

Some major(for me) gripes that I've had with the phone so far:
- When using the supplied cable to charge from a usb port(except for the supplied wall-usb charger) the phone automatically unmounts the SD card. So for example while playing music from the phone in my car through the AUX jack... I plug it into my USB car charger using the supplied cable and the music stops. I have to unlock the phone, turn off the usb mass storage and resume the music playing. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update.

- The 16GB micro SD card is generous in size but really slow being only a class 2. Large transfers to and from PC through USB can take a while. I haven't had any issues with the camera and taking pictures though i haven't yet tried video but I'm sure it'll be fine. And yes I know this is a VERY easily remedied issue. But i thought I should let would-be buyers know.

- Battery(like others have mentioned) isn't the greatest. But keeping the 4G off(especially if your not in a 4G area) and occasionally using the task manager to end apps that you are not and will not be needing for a while, will greatly extend battery life. Also the live wallpapers look AMAZING on the screen but also rapidly drain the battery.

- Battery related... If your running low on battery the phone will not allow you to use the camera. This might be a case where a spare would be useful while on vacation, etc...

- Lock Pattern: I was basically forced to use one with this phone since while in my pocket i felt it get really hot and when i took it out i noticed that it was unlocked and doing all sorts of weird stuff like launching apps and bringing up the long-press menu randomly. Having a lock pattern is good to have anyways but I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't need one. I have fairly large hands but even still, now with the 4" screen writing the unlock pattern is a slower process than it was on my G1. If you have smaller hands I would recommend physically holding the device before purchasing online.

Don't get me wrong I've been waiting for a 5 row keyboard for a while now and I don't regret my purchase at all, i absolutely love this phone.

On a side note I haven't had any issues with Sprint so far, coming from an almost decade long T-mobile customer it was a tough decision switching carriers but their plans and plan features are great so far. Also I haven't had any issues with coverage in the Los Angeles area, I usually keep 4G off though to save battery.

Cheers!
on October 25, 2010
The phone is hands down the best phone I have owned thus far. Battery life is somewhat iffy, but compared to the EVO it is good. I can go an entire day of medium use with a full battery. That being said, having an extra micro-usb to charge on the go is recommended. The phone doesn't have froyo yet, but it is amazingly fast as is. The build of the phone feels strong and the screen has already taken some punishment with no visible wear (I dropped it face first on a hardwood floor).

Getting service on the phone wasn't nearly as streamlined as I thought it would be. It is not explicitly stated that it will take 2-5 business days for amazon to contact you with the information for setting up the account, if they do at all. I had to contact Amazon after 5 business days to obtain the proper information to set up my account with Sprint. It was cut and dry after I contacted Amazon, but waiting that long with no heads up from the company had me worried.

Overall, good phone with a good interface. Email Amazon if you have waited over the 5 days to get them to expedite your service setup.
on January 25, 2013
If your calling plan provides for an annual upgrade, then this is an absolutely fantastic phone. All positive reviews are accurate, I was deeply in love w/ my new phone. After a year it is another matter, one problem after another & in scanning various user sites I find I am not alone in any of them:
- phone (& clock) freezes & can only be reset by removing battery
- phone turns off & on by itself for no reason
- phones turns off by itself (fully charged battery)
- usb connected message keeps flashing after disconnected

Soft reset is virtually impossible as you must press recessed on/off button, volume down & camera all at once. After just over a year the phone eventually turned off & showed indications it no longer recognized charger or battery, just acted like a paper weight. Now back from repairs - has yet to turn off/on by itself, but all off the above have happened just hours after reactivating, including the start of the usb message. User lists seem to indicate the this indicates damage to the "charging port".
on August 19, 2011
This was a pretty solid phone at first until Samsung and Sprint started releasing horrible software updates for them. Android 2.2 has crippled my decent phone. I've had to find many workarounds for a lot of the useful features I would use because they no longer work. After complaining at the Sprint store after the upgrade the manager told me there was nothing she could do for me, after I spoke to a lower level employee he told me there was nothing he could do for me either. After this very irritating response I asked what I was supposed to do and he responded very bluntly, "blog about it." After discussing this event with Sprint customer service they were nice enough to move up my eligibility for a new 2 year contract extension so now I can pick a phone that'll actually work. I would definitely not recommend Samsung, their TouchWiz interface is hideous and they are VERY SLOW with their software updates. Don't put your faith in this phone or company.