on December 5, 2011
I bought this phone because it had the keyboard which was nice, and seemed to have a lot of horsepower (at the time)

Worst phone i've ever bought, (narrowly defeated by the Samsung Instinct actually) so, make that second worst.

It turns off for no reason, middle of a phone call, middle of the night when no one is touching it ect.

When it turns off the battery is at 40-60% and when it comes back on battery now at 4%. GPS never works. Gets stuck in headset mode with no headset plugged into it. Out of desperation what with the near constant failures for it to do anything right, i ROMed it. No change, running just as bad as before. No reason. I hate it, i hate it so much i want to set it on fire. Which i will promptly do upon buying an HTC or something.

Samsung, stop making phones and tablets, they are the worst things you've ever made, stick with TVs.
on September 21, 2011
Beware buyers. The epic is a good phone but in todays technology market its all about the updates!!! Htc phones are really quick at putting out updates just like apple. samsungs are already out of date before you buy them. and wait a whole year to get new updates when others already have them. AVOID samsung phone!!!! samsung just poops out phones every month... and dont even try to keep their customers satisfied. Ive waited so long for my gingerbread update that i just went online and downloaded the leak of it. I shouldnt have to do that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2011
This was a pretty solid phone at first until Samsung and Sprint started releasing horrible software updates for them. Android 2.2 has crippled my decent phone. I've had to find many workarounds for a lot of the useful features I would use because they no longer work. After complaining at the Sprint store after the upgrade the manager told me there was nothing she could do for me, after I spoke to a lower level employee he told me there was nothing he could do for me either. After this very irritating response I asked what I was supposed to do and he responded very bluntly, "blog about it." After discussing this event with Sprint customer service they were nice enough to move up my eligibility for a new 2 year contract extension so now I can pick a phone that'll actually work. I would definitely not recommend Samsung, their TouchWiz interface is hideous and they are VERY SLOW with their software updates. Don't put your faith in this phone or company.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2011
I've owned this phone for 9 months, and after the first couple of "honeymoon" months, it has been getting progressively worse with spontaneous rebooting and locking up while in use. It spontaneously restarts itself once or twice per day, and completely locks up three or four times per day. I've lost count of the number of times the phone has woken me up as it recharges on my nightstand at 4 AM due to a 3+1 vibrating pattern it loops through when it locks up (I don't have it set to vibrate for ANY notifications). The only way to make the phone operable again after it locks up is to remove the battery- none of the buttons are operable when a lock-up happens. The phone has been wiped twice by Sprint and they have determined that the issue is not related to software. Luckily, Sprint is running an open enrollment for August 2011 for their Total Equipment Protection Plan ($8/Mo) and I can get a replacement phone through them in a few days- otherwise, I'd be subject to Samsung's manufacturer's warranty (I have 3 more months left under the 1-year mfr warranty), which would take longer. If you have this phone through Sprint, I recommend enrolling in Sprint's TEP Plan this month to avoid any future heartache. I actually like this phone, but the issues I've experience with it are definitely a deal-breaker for me. I'd request a replacement phone from a different manufacturer if I could, but the TEP plan requires 3 replacement cycles before a different phone can be substituted. I'm hoping that I don't have to go through 3 replacement cycles to get a properly operating Samsung Epic 4G phone!!! By the way, I am not in any way associated with Sprint (other than being their customer) and do not receive any compensation from Sprint whatsoever. Their service has been excellent so far throughout this frustrating experience.
on May 4, 2011
I added a second line to my account with Sprint, just to try both of these phones. After 1 week, I used both phones a lot. I am by far very pleased with the Epic.

Evo is a great phone too, but not practical because of its size and is a battery hog.
on May 16, 2011
Well I started off with a free LG Optimus an it was constantly mistyping and crashing. I moved to the Epic..thinking...well you get what you pay for..so lets get a good phone that might actually last a year or two. I have good things to say abou the Epic but some bad ones and bad stuff about the Operating System/ or firmware. The first thing I noticed, that many average people haven't is that the date is cutt off. I use the date alot, which pops up on the screensaver. It's always Monday May ___ and then does show the time. Major bug. Then the bluetooth voice dialer. Since most people that buy nice phones, probably use the bluetooth...maybe it would be nice to have a volume control??? there is no setting for volume, and like the last phone it says "please speak now" at sucha a low volume that you aren't quite sure what she's saying, especially when driving. Then when you dial and it repeats what you dialed ...again you can't hear what's going on, so when it misdials, bad bad bad....oh wait...I lied...it does have a volume control..but it's only after you hit voicedial and you have to manually raise the volume with the external volume controls and when you are done...it loses the setting. Ok let me take a break from the bad and let you know that this is a really nice phone, receptive, set up well. Great graphics and sound. keyboard is good nice pics...style is good..it is a bit big...but it has always been a good thing for me...movies and music run great..
ok now more bad... The gallery app started failing almost immediately...the pics would completely dissapear...i rebooted and started taking pics..and again...a few days and poof they are gone....angry birds starts not working and not popping up when started. After a bit i did some internet searching and there is a folder that I found the pics in...but they are no longer in the gallery. Angry birds which is a basic app, which i love, never stays up long enough to get through three or 4 screens. Might be Rovios fault some, but the phone seems buggy...not sure most other games work fine. oh also on the Good side, the battery does fairly well for as much as you get, huge screen and app and phone, not bad for battery life, but as with most of these new smartphones, you have to get used to chargeing more often. ok..back to the bad...the chat/ texting feature..that comes with the phone is really nice...except when you get a pic...all pics show up sideways annnd so you flip the phone..and #$$#*() it flips sideways again...and again...and again... OK HELLOOOO???? we pay 200 for a nice phone and you guys haven't seen all these bugs??? The industry is in a hurry to get these phone out and sell em as the latest competition to the iphone, and they want to get the money rolling in and catch up with the updates later?? not good business.. ok go onto Sprint.com or the samsung Epic forums and both places the actuall foum on the Epics is constant complaints on the Epic...everyone constantly asks for the 2.3 Gingerbread update that is supposed to fix most everything now. AND on these forums, they have moved the main forum where everyone complains..to the backround...so you have to search for it..and they dont get bad press. Meanwhile we pay for a nice phone with bugs. Ok so these are my main complaints...I honestly like the phone but this is my second andriod phone now...and the Lg and now Samsung Epic are giving me a bad picture here....i was going to pay the early terminations on all three of my phones and Sprint convinced me not to...for a deal on the Epic...now i think in a year...I'm going to cancell and get an Iphone..because it Works. Advice, dont get the Epic or any phone without Gingerbread (Andriod) 2.3... Make them give you a phone that is worth the money you spend and one sided contract you have to sign.
on April 6, 2011
Before I start the review, let me preface it by saying that I ordered this phone through Amazon and had no problems with ordering or delivery. Let me also say that I would rate this phone 5 stars when it functions. The problem is that it doesn't function properly often enough.

I bought this phone in November after doing a lot of research into smartphones. I was previously an ATT customer, and my wife has had an Iphone for several years. I personally think the Iphone is overpriced and decided to make my first smartphone an android. The features that I was looking for were a nice screen, slide out keyboard, and I also liked Sprint's price plan. The phone delivers in abundance on those aspects.

I received the phone and was quickly impressed by all it could do. I began installing apps at a rapid pace. The first problem I noticed was during the first couple of weeks. The phone froze up and I had to open the back cover, take out the battery, and put it back in to reboot it. It didn't happen very often, and being new to smartphones I thought that all smartphones had this issue. As the weeks went on, it started happening more and more often. There were no patterns to it either. Sometimes it would be in my pocket for hours and I would take it out to find it frozen. Other times, it would be charging while I slept. I would wake up to find it frozen and uncharged. It began to happen on a daily basis and be quite a pain. I did some research on the internet and found some forums where others described similar problems. They mentioned doing a factory data reset, and some found success. I found this option in the menu, and did it. I decided to only install apps that were fairly well known, and had many good reviews (i.e. yelp, opentable, pandora) This seemed to help for about 3 days, and then the freezing problems started again.

Sometime in January, I was running some errands and the phone froze again. I happened to be near a Sprint store so I brought it into them in the frozen state. They had me leave it for a couple of hours to run some "diagnostics". When I picked it up, they said they just did a factory data reset. I'm not sure why it took a couple of hours, because it only took a couple of minutes when I did the exact same thing. They asked if I had Android Task Killer installed, which I did. They said that was most likely the cause. I asked them if it happened again, could I have it replaced as I have the equipment repair/replacement option on my plan? They said only if I brought it in frozen and did not have any apps installed other than what's on there from the reset. What good is having a smartphone if it can't run apps? After this reset it began working a little better, and would only freeze a couple of times a week, instead of daily. My wife had a baby and things became pretty hectic, so the phone problems slipped down my priority list. I also learned that by pressing the volume, power, and camera buttons at the same time, I could reboot it without removing the battery.

A couple of weeks ago, I received the over the air update to 2.2. I hoped this would solve some of the problems I was having. I was very wrong. The freezing issues started happening daily or even several times a day. When I would reboot the phone, it would have 40-50% less battery life than before it froze. It is also constantly shutting itself off for no reason. Yesterday, I did another factory data reset and will wait and see how it goes. So far it hasn't frozen, but it has shut itself down while it was charging. I don't have time to wait for it to freeze and then run over to the Sprint store, but if I have the opportunity I will. Hopefully they will be willing to just replace it. If not, than Sprint will have lost a customer for life.
on February 28, 2011
GPS Issues, responsiveness of the phone (lag) becomes an issue as the file system gets fragmented. Stuck in Android 2.1 since Summer of 2010, was still 2.1 by the time 2.3 came out (Date Feb 20 2011?). No word from Samsung or Spring. Not going to be buying another Samsung phone it seems.
on November 3, 2010
I've pre-ordered this phone & got it from Sprint on its premier day. I wanted it because it combines superior multimedia/social capabilities with a generous 5-rows physical QWERTY keyboard [along with SWYPE for Android right out the box, it provides the ultimate input selection]. It has everything I wanted: 4.0" Super 'Stunning' AMOLED touch screen [amazingly bright even in direct sunlight. You need to facilitate the Power Control Widget which allows 3 levels of Brightness]; 1.3 MP Front-Facing camera for video chat; 5.0 MP Rear-Facing camera that captures 720p HD video & has an LED Flash [functions as an LED flash light when needed!]; Android OS 2.1 out the box and is due to upgrade to Android 2.2 (aka, Froyo which will bring Flash support along with other cool features*); 1 GHz Hummingbird processor delivers a zippy, snappy, buttered experience!! Navigation is a breeze with 7 customizable home screens. Samsung's own totally revised TouchWiz 3.0 UI is bliss to navigate. What else? Hm, 16 GB of Memory with SD card expandability up to 32 GB; 512 MP of RAM/ROM; Free Turn-by turn GPS navigation; 3G/4G (where available)/Wi-Fi & Bluetooth connectivity options; Serves as a hotspot (optional) for up to 5 devices [that comes with a monthly fee] Status bar notifications and TRUE multitasking capabilities. The Android App Store gives you unlimited, unrestricted access to over 100,000 apps and rapidly growing. 3D games and movies are just so much fun to have in your pocket wherever you go. Now, I've had my Epic for a bit over 2 months and I just love more & more per second! Ah, and with apps like 'Documents to Go' and Samsung own Media Hub [which lets you rent or buy movies or TV shows**], you can be productive, stay connected, and have fun all at the same time.

However,there are very few 'shortcomings'. It does NOT come with an HDMI [Well, if you don't an HD TV then you don't need it!], 4G is not available nationwide but Sprint still charges a Mandatory $10 extra a month. With its big screen and speedy processor you want to keep in mind the battery is going to drain relatively faster than you 'dump' or semi-smart phone! In my personal experience, I had to charge it once daily. And lastly are two wishes: I wish it would've had a kick stand but that's no big of a bug, honestly. Although very well spaced out and tactile, I wish the keyboard buttons would've been just a hair more raised up above the surface.

My verdict: It is by far the best feature-packed Smart Phone available on the market to date. With its slick design, solid build, snappy performance, and rich features, I'd say with confidence: it is the Best Android 'Brilliant' phone, to say the least.

There's a whole lot to say about this 'brilliant' phone but that could end up lengthy and boring! So my advice to you is to go check it out for yourself. Take advantage of Sprint's One Month Satisfaction Guarantee and I'm sure you'll LOVE IT like I do :-)

Tip: Amazon offers the best price and saves you the hassle and the inconvenience of Mail-In rebates. BestBuy, however, offers their own Reward Program that I think is worth checking; they'd also assist you with transferring all of your contacts both for FREE. The Choice is yours.

* Flash support enables users to play web video content.
** The content is relatively pricy, and as of yet, it only works over Wi-Fi. Previews aren't always available. But it's nice to have the option.

Update:
__________

Now that I've had this brilliant phone for about 8 months & after having received my long-awaited Android 2.2, aka, Froyo, I feel I have to put up a few more words to keep my review up to date.

Samsung has created one of Android's smartest phones to date. I dare to say that their Galaxy S line is truly a 'category by itself!'
I have to admit though I was a little upset as to how long it took before I got my Froyo update & also because the issues that followed the update. But now that the new OS is finally stable & bug-free, I can safely say it's totally worth the wait. Besides, I learned to backup everything on my phone, the hard way :-( I've settled down to the fact that almost all OS updates have the potential to be troublesome. Yet again, the end result is worth a little hassle. I have well over 100 apps on my phone & it pretty much handles anything I throw at it. High-end games like Gameloft's Hawx, Modern Combat 2, BIA2, Sandstorm, & Asphalt 6, or other Android games such as AirAttack HD, Tank Recon 3D, Fruit Ninja, & Crazy Snowboard play like fluid & bring forth the power of this phone.

Is there anything I'd change about this phone? After having used Swype that comes pre-installed, I personally don't see a need to use a physical keyboard. Second, I definitely want to see some dual core action. I mean, if this is what a single core can do, I can only dream of the power of a dual core!! I also would love to see a Netflix app pre-installed. Well, these are the main things I want to see in the coming Samsung handsets. Oh, Gingerbread out of the box, por favor!!! So far, Samsung seems to be heading in the right direction. I can't wait to lay my hands on Samsung's Galaxy S II :-)

Go Galaxy S :-)
on October 24, 2010
I've been a Blackberry user (Curve and more recently, Tour) for a long time. Prior to that, a Palm user. With all the great new touch screen phones coming out, I was itching to switch. But I wasn't about to switch to AT&T just to get the iPhone. I have also been with Sprint for years, and in my opinion, they have THE BEST coverage/service and plans (I never have dropped calls and they have the best "Everything" plan). Also, I wasn't willing to get a phone that only had a touch screen for entering text. True, AT&T has the new Blackberry Torch, but again, I would've had to switch to AT&T.

So I was so happy when Sprint came out with the new Samsung Epic (I'm glad I waited for this instead of getting the Evo). Simply put, this phone is AMAZING! It has everything I was looking for, among other things, the touch screen and pull-out keyboard. And while this phone is much larger than my previous Tour and really bigger than my husband's Palm Pre, it isn't any heavier. The build of the phone is solid. When you pull out the keyboard, you can do so with the confidence that it won't wobble or break. The Amoled screen is unsurpassed and the live wallpapers are beautiful! The colors are so vivid and true, and with the size of the screen, watching videos is wonderful! The speed of the browser is super fast too (this is one reason I wanted to switch from my Blackberry, which I also loved). The browser on the Blackberry is so slow and the browsing experience is lacking since the screen is so small. The pull-out key board is great, but I actually find myself not using it that much because I have gotten used to entering text using the Swype function. It is so fast and intuitive. Once you get the hang of using it, I don't think you'll be entering text with the keyboard.

There are still some things that are lacking, however, which caused me to give this a 4-star, instead of, a 5-star rating. First, the ability to sync with Microsoft Exchange is lacking. Currently, there is no way to sync your notes and tasks from Outlook. I use these a lot so I had to find work-arounds for this (I use Evernote for my notes and Remember the Milk for my tasks). Second, there is no spell check. I'm not sure why as this seems to be something that shouldn't be hard to include since gmail has it. Third, there doesn't appear to be a way to select the default calendar when entering new appointments (you have to always select which calendar you want the appointment in). Also, there doesn't appear to be away to dismiss select appointments. Again, I have had to use a work-around (I use the free Calendar Snooze). Fourth, the ability to customize the ringer and notification profiles is somewhat limited (you have to download an app (I use Quick Profiles) to do this - not a big deal, but it would be good if this was already included). Truly, these are not actual functions of the phone itself, but of the Android OS. So I'm hoping that with the eventual upgrade in OS, these issues will be addressed and resolved.

While I have had to alter the way I do things on my device, this has not been a dealbreaker for me. I am extremely happy that I purchased this phone (through Sprint) and that I am using the Android OS. I am a Android convert for good. I'm learning new things on this phone everyday and I'm looking forward to the upgrade in the OS - hopefully soon!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations