Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 25, 2014
By now, everyone should know that the Epic 4G is a dog of a phone. When it works it is awesome but all six I have been through developed problems with charging and turning on. Three were replacement refurbished phones, with one lasting only one month.

Inherently flawed.

Darn Shame.
on May 27, 2011
Pros:
- Gorgeous, high-res, colorful and LARGE screen
- Big slide-out keyboard (in addition to on-screen one) has dedicated number keys
- Learning curve is short. Easy to understand
- Handles apps (like Angry Birds, live wallpaper) that Transform can't
- 16 Gb SD card included (can use up to 32 GB card)
- Very attractive on or off
- Great camera, hardware and software
- iPhone-like finger control of pictures and internet

Cons:
- Battery life is short if applications are left running, or with heavy use of apps
- Phone is a little large for a pocket (but smaller than you'd think with that keyboard)
- I'm sure something better will come along, but you can't prevent that!

I've had the Samsung Epic 4G for a week now, and I love it. LOVE it. Let me explain why.

Had a 2-1/2 year old Samsung Rant, with slide-out keyboard. It was sort of an entry level smart phone, bought for texting--not apps. It got drowned in the washing machine, which wasn't a tragedy. The phone lost its novelty long ago, and was never useful beyond talking and texting.

I needed a new phone quickly, so switching carriers to get an iPhone was out the window. I went to the Sprint store, and looked around. I was happy to find Android phones that looked iPhone-ish, but with real keyboards. The Samsung Transform, the HTC Evo Shift and the Samsung Epic. Liked them all, but opted for the cheapest of the three, the Transform. Thought it was SUCH a jump from the Rant, it would be "good enough."

After two weeks, I got tired of "good enough." All of my previous phones had been "good enough." NONE had made me very happy. Transform is a good phone. It's a good texting device. The internet and apps were of course better than I'd ever had. But they were slow, and they were buggy. And the screen was only passable.

I finally got my receipt, boxed everything back up, and went back to Sprint to trade it in. I KNEW that the Epic was going to be my choice, but I gave the Evo a shot. Nope, Epic, all the way. It has a GORGEOUS and LARGE screen for one, and I knew from researching online that it had the fastest processor.

After having had real-world, hands-on experience with both, I really couldn't be happier. The Epic 4G is fast. It's responsive. It installs apps (or uninstalls them) very quickly. The wide keyboard is great, equal to (but slightly different from) the Transform's. The phone looks sexy when in standby mode, all black except for a silver band around the edge, and the chrome logos. It effortlessly logs onto wireless or 4G. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything, or getting "less than." And the screen. . .I'm not kidding, don't pass it up until you've really checked out the screen.

My advice to anyone getting their first big bump up to a real smart phone: Spend the money. If the prices are $100, $150 and $200? Don't automatically go for the cheap one. Don't necessarily go for the most expensive either. But with a two year commitment, think about it. Is a $50 savings worth two years of beeing slightly dissatisfied or worse? I learned the hard way, and had to pay a $35 restocking fee!
on September 13, 2011
Samsung Epic 4g, not only does it offer a great deal of many fantastic features, but just like any device, it has its flaws. After not being able to get my hands on a HTC Evo 4g mobile device, I gave up trying to get one and decided to go with a Samsung Epic 4g. I have to say that I am quite happy with my decision, although there are some things the phone and the software in the phone can be improved on. The Samsung Epic 4g is a good device and I would totally recommend it.I have had the Samsung epic for a year, since the first day it came out to be exact. I was told that the Epic was going to be one of the best phones in the market offering, "A rich 4.0 inch super AMOLED display, a full qwerty keyboard, fast 3G/4G speeds, 1 GHz processor, 1 GB ROM, and 512 MB of RAM." This convinced me to buy the phone. Indeed I did have one of the best phones out there, going from a Palm Pre, which I had to get a new one 5 times due to software problems, being defective, screens cracking, and it just breaking, the Epic was a big step forward. As time went on after having the Samsung Epic for a while things were not going so well.
After about half a year, my phone started to lag, battery life was not lasting me as long as it used to and speeds were not as fast anymore. I did some research, looking up anything that could help, but could not really find any sites or forums to help me with the lag. I do understand that Sprint itself has pretty slow speeds, but when it comes to WI-FI, it is pretty quick. It seemed that even in WIFI it was lagging. I have to agree with other reviews that battery life is not that great, but in my case that was not the problem before. With the help of friends and research I have found ways to keep my battery life last me a little longer by using task killers, turning off GPS and 4G (which is not available everywhere), and turning off your data. I came to the conclusion that maybe after dropping my phone countless times would have caused it to run slower than usual as I might have knocked something out of place. I have to say that after dropping my phone many times, it only has scratches and one a little crack that is barely noticeable. I can honestly say this is a good quality phone that also feels good in the hands.
The Samsung Epic 4g is a good phone, but it has its flaws which might turn some people off. But despite the fact that it tends to lag, the Samsung Epic 4g was a great device for me and as well for others. I am sad to say that I am letting this phone go as I am hopefully upgrading my phone this month to the Samsung Epic 4g Touch, A Samsung galaxy S2 device. I can say that the Epic has satisfied my needs in the way I use my phone, for texting, e-mail and internet browsing. If that is all you need then the Epic would be a good buy for you, despite sprints slow speeds, if there is a Wi-Fi network around, the Epic will not disappoint.
on February 28, 2011
GPS Issues, responsiveness of the phone (lag) becomes an issue as the file system gets fragmented. Stuck in Android 2.1 since Summer of 2010, was still 2.1 by the time 2.3 came out (Date Feb 20 2011?). No word from Samsung or Spring. Not going to be buying another Samsung phone it seems.
on May 4, 2011
I added a second line to my account with Sprint, just to try both of these phones. After 1 week, I used both phones a lot. I am by far very pleased with the Epic.

Evo is a great phone too, but not practical because of its size and is a battery hog.
on October 5, 2010
The phone is fast and responsive - definately a step up from the G1 that I previously owned.
I am not happy at all with the Amazon pricing. The phone dropped $50 in price 7 days after I ordered it (4 days after I received the phone). Amazon is unwilling to refund the difference or do anything at all to my satisfaction. Had I known the price would drop, I would have been perfectly willing to wait the 7 days.

Had a ordered from Amazon wirelessly rather than Amazon they would have been willing to help me.
on January 24, 2011
This phones battery life is not so good, YOU MUST have a extended battery pack to match the battery life (maybe a little more) of a iphone. GPS isn't so good, dont use for walking. must restart every so often otherwise it goes crazy, i wish android would make their own video calling app. The Qik app IS TERRABLE!!! And skype doesnt yet work for this phone, yea they have it but skype really just doesnt work.(Cant log-in) 4g is fast but only with a catch. The EVO has an even worse battery life.
on June 23, 2012
I rated this phone 4/5 because most of the features about this phone is great. The sound quality/picture quality/quick.

The only few things I dislike about this phone is the front touch screen buttons on the bottom. They don't work sufficiently such as the back button...I always have to push the back on the keyboard. When it falls asleep i always have to slide it open.

Not a fan of the phone not being on the main menu where messaging is anymore. But it's okay
on December 30, 2011
To be fair, the phone itself is nice, but after Sprint's Gingerbread update, it broke the phone. GPS does not work at all. The phone randomly freezes and restarts. Sprint is unresponsive to fixing the issue. If you do want to get this phone, do so with another carrier if you can.

Battery life is an issue. I upgraded my battery because of it. The keyboard is nice, a definite plus if you still want a physical keyboard. Be careful before committing to Sprint and this phone. You may do okay or you may be like me--switching to Verizon.
on August 8, 2011
I have had the phone for about 10 months. It is a great phone. The display is clear and colorful. One thing that does bother me is that it is very bright to look at at night - I wish the brightness could be turned down more. I have used the Hotspot functionality at times, which costs $29 a month. You can turn it on and off any day that you want at no charge, but it is a small hassle to make that change to your account at Sprint's website. The Hotspot's 4G speed seems to be typically 3 or 4 MB/s where I live. Sprint has been slow to deliver Android updates, still waiting for Gingerbread, so that is a minor annoyance.

See 1 answered question