Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 8, 2012
bought this phone last yearworked great for he first 90 days then started to slow down lock up and every time i pluged it in it told me my batt was to cold/hot to charge when it wasnt had to remove batt. then when pluging it in to the charger the batt went from 14% to 70% took it to the store thy gave me a new phone and batt. now this phone is doing the same thing. i took it back to the store they tell me the batt doesnt hold a charge i need to buy a new batt it clearly does it will stay charged all day they refuse to give me a new phone unless i pay 100 bucks i cant wait to get rid of this P.O.S!!! do not buy!!!
on November 2, 2010
I've pre-ordered this phone & got it from Sprint on its premier day. I wanted it because it combines superior multimedia/social capabilities with a generous 5-rows physical QWERTY keyboard [along with SWYPE for Android right out the box, it provides the ultimate input selection]. It has everything I wanted: 4.0" Super 'Stunning' AMOLED touch screen [amazingly bright even in direct sunlight. You need to facilitate the Power Control Widget which allows 3 levels of Brightness]; 1.3 MP Front-Facing camera for video chat; 5.0 MP Rear-Facing camera that captures 720p HD video & has an LED Flash [functions as an LED flash light when needed!]; Android OS 2.1 out the box and is due to upgrade to Android 2.2 (aka, Froyo which will bring Flash support along with other cool features*); 1 GHz Hummingbird processor delivers a zippy, snappy, buttered experience!! Navigation is a breeze with 7 customizable home screens. Samsung's own totally revised TouchWiz 3.0 UI is bliss to navigate. What else? Hm, 16 GB of Memory with SD card expandability up to 32 GB; 512 MP of RAM/ROM; Free Turn-by turn GPS navigation; 3G/4G (where available)/Wi-Fi & Bluetooth connectivity options; Serves as a hotspot (optional) for up to 5 devices [that comes with a monthly fee] Status bar notifications and TRUE multitasking capabilities. The Android App Store gives you unlimited, unrestricted access to over 100,000 apps and rapidly growing. 3D games and movies are just so much fun to have in your pocket wherever you go. Now, I've had my Epic for a bit over 2 months and I just love more & more per second! Ah, and with apps like 'Documents to Go' and Samsung own Media Hub [which lets you rent or buy movies or TV shows**], you can be productive, stay connected, and have fun all at the same time.

However,there are very few 'shortcomings'. It does NOT come with an HDMI [Well, if you don't an HD TV then you don't need it!], 4G is not available nationwide but Sprint still charges a Mandatory $10 extra a month. With its big screen and speedy processor you want to keep in mind the battery is going to drain relatively faster than you 'dump' or semi-smart phone! In my personal experience, I had to charge it once daily. And lastly are two wishes: I wish it would've had a kick stand but that's no big of a bug, honestly. Although very well spaced out and tactile, I wish the keyboard buttons would've been just a hair more raised up above the surface.

My verdict: It is by far the best feature-packed Smart Phone available on the market to date. With its slick design, solid build, snappy performance, and rich features, I'd say with confidence: it is the Best Android 'Brilliant' phone, to say the least.

There's a whole lot to say about this 'brilliant' phone but that could end up lengthy and boring! So my advice to you is to go check it out for yourself. Take advantage of Sprint's One Month Satisfaction Guarantee and I'm sure you'll LOVE IT like I do :-)

Tip: Amazon offers the best price and saves you the hassle and the inconvenience of Mail-In rebates. BestBuy, however, offers their own Reward Program that I think is worth checking; they'd also assist you with transferring all of your contacts both for FREE. The Choice is yours.

* Flash support enables users to play web video content.
** The content is relatively pricy, and as of yet, it only works over Wi-Fi. Previews aren't always available. But it's nice to have the option.

Update:
__________

Now that I've had this brilliant phone for about 8 months & after having received my long-awaited Android 2.2, aka, Froyo, I feel I have to put up a few more words to keep my review up to date.

Samsung has created one of Android's smartest phones to date. I dare to say that their Galaxy S line is truly a 'category by itself!'
I have to admit though I was a little upset as to how long it took before I got my Froyo update & also because the issues that followed the update. But now that the new OS is finally stable & bug-free, I can safely say it's totally worth the wait. Besides, I learned to backup everything on my phone, the hard way :-( I've settled down to the fact that almost all OS updates have the potential to be troublesome. Yet again, the end result is worth a little hassle. I have well over 100 apps on my phone & it pretty much handles anything I throw at it. High-end games like Gameloft's Hawx, Modern Combat 2, BIA2, Sandstorm, & Asphalt 6, or other Android games such as AirAttack HD, Tank Recon 3D, Fruit Ninja, & Crazy Snowboard play like fluid & bring forth the power of this phone.

Is there anything I'd change about this phone? After having used Swype that comes pre-installed, I personally don't see a need to use a physical keyboard. Second, I definitely want to see some dual core action. I mean, if this is what a single core can do, I can only dream of the power of a dual core!! I also would love to see a Netflix app pre-installed. Well, these are the main things I want to see in the coming Samsung handsets. Oh, Gingerbread out of the box, por favor!!! So far, Samsung seems to be heading in the right direction. I can't wait to lay my hands on Samsung's Galaxy S II :-)

Go Galaxy S :-)
on October 24, 2010
I've been a Blackberry user (Curve and more recently, Tour) for a long time. Prior to that, a Palm user. With all the great new touch screen phones coming out, I was itching to switch. But I wasn't about to switch to AT&T just to get the iPhone. I have also been with Sprint for years, and in my opinion, they have THE BEST coverage/service and plans (I never have dropped calls and they have the best "Everything" plan). Also, I wasn't willing to get a phone that only had a touch screen for entering text. True, AT&T has the new Blackberry Torch, but again, I would've had to switch to AT&T.

So I was so happy when Sprint came out with the new Samsung Epic (I'm glad I waited for this instead of getting the Evo). Simply put, this phone is AMAZING! It has everything I was looking for, among other things, the touch screen and pull-out keyboard. And while this phone is much larger than my previous Tour and really bigger than my husband's Palm Pre, it isn't any heavier. The build of the phone is solid. When you pull out the keyboard, you can do so with the confidence that it won't wobble or break. The Amoled screen is unsurpassed and the live wallpapers are beautiful! The colors are so vivid and true, and with the size of the screen, watching videos is wonderful! The speed of the browser is super fast too (this is one reason I wanted to switch from my Blackberry, which I also loved). The browser on the Blackberry is so slow and the browsing experience is lacking since the screen is so small. The pull-out key board is great, but I actually find myself not using it that much because I have gotten used to entering text using the Swype function. It is so fast and intuitive. Once you get the hang of using it, I don't think you'll be entering text with the keyboard.

There are still some things that are lacking, however, which caused me to give this a 4-star, instead of, a 5-star rating. First, the ability to sync with Microsoft Exchange is lacking. Currently, there is no way to sync your notes and tasks from Outlook. I use these a lot so I had to find work-arounds for this (I use Evernote for my notes and Remember the Milk for my tasks). Second, there is no spell check. I'm not sure why as this seems to be something that shouldn't be hard to include since gmail has it. Third, there doesn't appear to be a way to select the default calendar when entering new appointments (you have to always select which calendar you want the appointment in). Also, there doesn't appear to be away to dismiss select appointments. Again, I have had to use a work-around (I use the free Calendar Snooze). Fourth, the ability to customize the ringer and notification profiles is somewhat limited (you have to download an app (I use Quick Profiles) to do this - not a big deal, but it would be good if this was already included). Truly, these are not actual functions of the phone itself, but of the Android OS. So I'm hoping that with the eventual upgrade in OS, these issues will be addressed and resolved.

While I have had to alter the way I do things on my device, this has not been a dealbreaker for me. I am extremely happy that I purchased this phone (through Sprint) and that I am using the Android OS. I am a Android convert for good. I'm learning new things on this phone everyday and I'm looking forward to the upgrade in the OS - hopefully soon!
on October 14, 2010
I've had this thing for a few weeks now, and I am just loving it. I was looking at this or the EVO (As I'm sure everyone else is), and I ultimately decided on this phone for two reasons:

1. The slide out QWERTY keyboard
2. The AMOLED screen

First, I'll go into the keyboard. It is excellent! I had a friend, a launch Droid user, tell me that I wouldn't use the keyboard often. Actually, he was right. The on-screen Swype keyboard is just excellent for text input. However, I am really glad that I have the option of the physical keyboard. It is much, much better when typing passwords, entering e-mail addresses, or typing anything that requires precision. e.g. Numbers or words that aren't in the dictionary.

Next, the screen: It is gorgeous! I've watched a little TV from my Slingbox and a few movies. The Slingbox is limited by my internet, but the movies... Even less than DVD quality movies look superb on this phone. You'd think you were watching an HD movie. The colors are amazing. However, the most impressive thing to me is the black levels. I'm used to looking at LCD screens, and one of the first things I noticed was that when looking at a blank screen, it is pure black. You can't even tell the screen is on, but it is. It is a true black. This has totally sold me on an AMOLED TV when they become affordable.

I was also really impressed with the video quality. This thing can shoot in 720p video, and it looks really good. I was really interested in buying a Flip video camera or something like it, but the video quality on this phone is excellent, and I no longer see the point in buying a second device to record video.

My only complaints of the phone are in the Android OS. First off, it is very limited in playing Flash content. I'm patiently waiting on the Android 2.2 update, which I hope will allow me to view all Flash content natively, but I don't really know if/what the flash limitations are in Froyo (Android 2.2). At the time I'm writing this review, it appears that Samsung has submitted Froyo to the cellular providers for publishing. We're expecting Froyo to be released for this phone at the end of October 2010.

Next, I'm admittedly a little disappointed with the App Store. There just isn't much going on there. It's a real pain to navigate, and needs a major overhaul. You can view maybe 3-4 apps on screen at once, and there's no efficient way to sort them. You want a game? You can sort it by action, casual, puzzle, etc. That's it. You can't sort by name, number of downloads, publisher... anything really. Really, the best way to find the decent apps is to Google online with your PC and then go to your phone to download the apps.

Even then, the App store feels bare of quality apps. There are a few here and there, but they're definitely hard to find. The extremely poor sorting capabilities of the app store don't help. On the bright side, new apps are being released almost daily, and with the rapidly growing market share of the Android OS, it won't be long before there are tons of quality apps.

Finally, there's the battery. If you've read any other reviews, you had to see this coming! You'll absolutely have to buy a car charger for this phone. I charge mine on my way to work, and on my way home every day.

I will say this: I've had the phone for about four weeks, and it seems like the battery actually gets better when you've used and recharged it a few times. And when I say better, I mean a LOT better. When I first had the phone, it took around four hours to charge. When I went up to the store about an hour ago, I was charging the phone in my car. I gained about five percent battery in eight minutes. That's approximately 2.6 hours to recharge the phone. That's a pretty dramatic increase in charging time. However, I can't accurately testify to this number, as I may have been using the phone more often when I first got it.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the phone, and I highly recommend it.

UPDATE:

It just occurred to me that I did not go into any detail on the actual call quality. Obviously, this will be a very important factor to some people. I didn't go into detail because I feel it is adequate, and I bought this phone primarily for the many other functions the phone is capable of.

When not using speakerphone, the call quality is perfectly adequate. However, the quality when using speakerphone is really sub par.

I came from using a Nextel i880, and I am a big user of speakerphone because most calls I make are in a car. I generally set the phone on my center console and talk. When I got this phone, I attempted to do the same thing, but when I'm on the freeway and there is a lot of road noise in my car, I've been told it sounds like I'm talking in a wind tunnel.

The reason for this is that the mic on the speakerphone is VERY sensitive. When I'm at home with no ambient noise, the person on the other end can hear me crystal clear from six feet away. Unfortunately, the sensitive mic picks up everything else as well. I've had to start using a bluetooth headset in my car for clear conversations. Now, if you're driving a car that doesn't have a lot of road noise at high speed, this won't be an issue, but it is definitely something to be aware of before purchasing.

SECOND UPDATE (11/23):

Okay, I've been using this phone for quite a while now, and I've got it all figured out. There are a couple things I want to go into:

1. The Android 2.2 beta has been released. I've got it installed on my phone, and while there are a few bugs, Froyo has a few extra features that make it worthwhile. For one, the web browser is much closer to that of a desktop computer. I can now log in to local hotspots that have the "I Agree" screen, whereas with the stock, these pages wouldn't load at all.

Flash has been a bit of a disappointment though. Flash programs and video are so resource intensive that the phone slows to a screeching halt. I even had the phone completely lock up on me once to where I had to remove the battery and restart. I'm REALLY hoping that this is just a symptom in the beta, because if it isn't, then Flash just isn't really usable on this thing.

2. Battery life. Before I tried out the Froyo beta, I had a user created version of Android loaded on the phone. I can't stress how much better it is than the stock OS. It eliminates the crummy pre-loaded Sprint apps, increases performance, and at the very least DOUBLES battery life. If you're a little tech savvy, this user generated content is far better than Samsung/Sprint's software. Just be aware it voids the warranty if Sprint knows about it.
on October 11, 2010
I have had a first generation iPhone for the past few years. I purchased the iPhone when it first came on the scene so due to the expense I have not been interested in purchasing a new cell phone until recently when I saw a commercial advertising Sprint's $69.99 plan. After seeing the pricing I decided to do some research on Sprint phones and soon narrowed down my options to the Evo and the Epic. Based on reviews and having no desire for a physical keyboard, I was actually interested in the Evo. I stopped in to the Sprint Store and played with both the Evo and the Epic and surprisingly I fell in love with the Epic. I loved the screen, the smaller more rounded design, and the keyboard seemed like a nice option for composing long emails without adding to much bulk to the phone. The Evo had a clear crisp screen and the kickstand was a unique feature but it was just too large and too masculine for my taste. I ordered the Epic from a competing website and with a $25 off coupon code I manage to score a sweet deal of $174.99, free shipping. It arrived last week and I have been in love ever since. I am so glad I walked away from my iPhone. Perhaps because this is my first android phone I am not as critical as some, but here are the features I enjoy:
Visual Voicemail: Now I can play voicemails in any order I like, replay, pause, start again. It's very convienient.
The screen: As many have mentioned, it's simply gorgeous and makes you want to turn the phone on and play with it just to look at it.
The keyboard: I have had a touchscreen phone for years but I find myself using the keyboard for longer emails and text messages. It is very easy to adjust to and feels comfortable. I thought I wouldn't use it at all but I actually prefer it.
The apps: I have found many games and apps for free in the android market. It makes the phone experience that much more enjoyable
The sound quality: My phone calls are much clearer than with my iPhone. Nobody sounds muffled. The speakerphone is crisp and clear.
The camera: I already own a 14.1 megapixel cannon camera so I did not purchase this phone for the camera but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it takes decent shots. It's definetly a great backup to have on days where I don't have my camera handy. My iPhone took horible grainy photos that were virtually unusable.
Overall I am in love with the potential of this phone. It is capable of much more than I've mentioned so for a lite user such as myself it's a dream. I'm sure someone interested in multimedia and gaming will find this phone measures up to their high expectations as well.

To be fair, the battery does seem to drain rather quickly but I always plug the phone in when I'm home and I have an extra usb for work where I charge the epic with my laptop so I have not experienced any problems. I would suggest simply being prepared if you purchase this phone. Many reviewers have stated the battery can not be expected to go longer than a day without being charged and they are correct. Search the web for cheap cables and have an extra charger in your car or at your job and you won't have any reason to be dissapointed.

I am enjoying this phone but I am dissapointed with Sprint's network. I knew there was no 4g in my area when I purchased the phone so that is not a problem, but I did expect to have superior 3g connectivity since Sprint has now advanced to 4g. I find the 3g service to be extremely slow. I can not watch Sprint TV without my chosen show stopping every one to two minutes and taking five mintues or longer to load back again. It's a wonderful feature to have if it would work properly. I attribute this to the network not being able to support such an awesome phone.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase and more so dissapointed that Sprint is not truly ready for the capability of this device. I am hoping that when I travel I will be able to use more of the awesome features this phone has therby negating the need to tote around a laptop.
on September 16, 2010
First of all, there are several poor reviews on this site that can simply be disregarded. Dumb people picking out 1 item that doesn't even make sense for a review, and they 1-star the phone. Don't worry, I see that ALL OVER this site these days. It completely skews the overall product rating, which sucks because it would be great to rely on that. As it is, with multiple moronic negative reviews for this phone, it is still averaging 4 stars. That should tell you what you need to know.

Pros:

Screen is so amazingly crisp and brilliant. It's great watching HD youtube videos, and high def pics on it.

Camera. It takes super sharp pictures and has TONS of different modes. Action mode is a really amazing feature.

4G. *if* you are in an area that has it, 4G is amazingly fast. I clocked the phone at over 3mbps today at work with an upload of 1mbps. That's faster than alot of home connections. And it is WAY more than you need for a cell phone.

Market. The apps you can get, there are so many of them. Tons of them are free, and you can personalize your phone and make it yours. That is the beauty of Droid in general.

Memory. The onboard memory is 512mb, plenty of room to install lots of apps, and still keep the phone running smooth. The 16mb expansion memory is enough for thousands and thousands of songs and pictures. Or you can rip some blu-rays to it. Also, you can upgrade to 32mb if you feel the need.

Processor. The 1gz hummingbird processor is a monster for a cell phone. The phone never ever lags or pauses or anything. What you tell it to do, it does. ( get it? Droid does! )

Typing. Swype is great, and if you don't like that you can tap, and if you don't like that you can talk, and if you don't like that you can slide out the qwerty keyboard.

Overall this phone is simply gorgeous, and at the very same time it is a workhorse for a cell phone. Call quality is crisp and clear, no dropped calls yet. Texting and communicating is made quick, easy, and fun.

Cons:

The only thing I have to say about this phone in any way that is negative, is the battery life. However, it's not this phone. It's physics. It's the law of things. If you have your screen maxed on brightness, download and stream stuff in 4G, and have a live wallpaper going on in the background, and GPS all day, and on and on... yes the battery will straight up die on you. So will your laptop. So will any other battery powered device. Batteries have a finite amount of juice in them. If you need your battery to last for 12+ hours between charges, then regulate yourself accordingly. Turn off things you don't need, dim the screen, and relax. The battery will be fine.
on September 9, 2010
I clung to my Verizon LG basic camera/text phone for as long as I could. When I finally got tired of waiting... and made the move to an android phone, I was flabbergasted at the price difference on monthly plans between Verizon and Sprint. I'd call it a no-brainer, but I really think it's one of the smartest moves I've ever made.

Sprint service in my area (Central NJ, ranging between Monmouth County and Philly Suburbs) has been solid. (with the exception of a 1/4 mile area of Jackson, NJ in Ocean County that doesn't get ANY service, not even Verizon)

I get 4G at work and for 80% of my drive home. I sometimes get a smattering of 4G in my house and the Sprint people says it'll be in my area sooner rather than later... so for me "the Network" is not an issue, and I would surmise it's more hype than truth in more places than not.

The Epic 4G is awesome. Really fast, good looking and slick. Easy to learn how to use and easy to operate. I have no complaints to balance my review with. I use it for just about everything you can imagine. Gmail, corporate email, voicemail, google voice, google talk, google maps, audible.com, facebook, twitter, browsing, android apps... no problems so far. (to be fair, corp email took some doing to set up, but the difficulty was on my end, the phone was ready and willing if I was putting in the right information)

Battery lasts a whole day... even the day when I was in heavy use when trying to set up corporate email, the batter made it a good 8 hours before needing a recharge.

Highly recommended. (I almost got the EVO, which from what I've seen is also great, but the Super AMOLED screen on the Epic blew me away when I played with it at the Sprint store)
on July 23, 2011
I have owned this phone for about 2 months and I love it! I really enjoy the keyboard and the big screen. It also takes a lot to scratch this phone but make sure you put on a protective cover on right away. It may feel a bit too big at first but you will get used to it. If you are looking for a simple phone I wouldn't recommend it. It's it bit more complex then a regular flip phone. The battery doesn't last very long though, so make sure you have your charger.
on August 3, 2011
Can someone tell me why my current phone, a Nexus s 4G, which has the same specs as my last phone, epic 4g, yet benchmarks much higher even if rooted and all of sammy's apps are taken out? It just doesn't make sense that the same hardware running the same os could have such different results. Also the battery life is horrendous. I got 6 hours of standby tops without putting it in airplane mode.
on May 31, 2012
I have owned a Samsung Epic that I did not purchase on Amazon for 6 months now. The design of the product is great. I love the phone in theory. However there are several problems that one will have to address to make this phone workable.

The battery is underpowered. The 1500 mA battery does not last a full day if you truly use this phone's fuctionality. You will HAVE to buy an extended battery and that will make it wider. Also with every extended battery, expect the cover to eventually start to fall off all the time. It is VERY irritating.

The Sprint bloatware on your phone, the apps that you cannot uninstall such as Qik video, Sprint Nascar, Sprint TV, Samsung Media hub, Facebook, are on YOUR phone for good. You cannot uninstall these. They will ask you to update them constantly and ask for new permissions to track your life. If you dont update them they will constantly ask for update. This alone is annoying enough to make me want to leave Sprint. These apps that you may not want run in the background, use up system memory and CPU power and drain your battery.

Do not expect your Epic to connect to your Windows 7 computer. I have tried and tried, changed cables and installed drivers, it connects maybe once for every 10 attempts. It is rediculous.

Expect Sprint "updates" to your phone to be rammed down your throat. Updates such as Sprint data optimizer which will connect your phone automatically to any Wifi you have remembered in your phone. The update installed itself and started doing this WITHOUT my permission. Welcome to Sprints corporate control over your phone.

All in all I believe this phone would have been great if Sprint was not involved in it. They have no business writing software for Samsung's hardware when they don't even keep their website updated to allow smartphones to access it. Sprint's network is great. How they treat the average customer in regards to the customer's hardware sucks very bad (one star).

See 1 answered question