Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 961 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,199 reviews
on July 14, 2016
Great camera. If you want a beginner camera, this is perfect. It's forgiving in color for the most part when you're ready to edit photos. It does struggle with some neon colors and you'd have to edit some. Landscapes are great as well as personal photos. If you know your aperture, shutter speed, and how to use ISO, you can work this camera well. It struggles in low light but as long as you don't edit it too much, it will get a decent photo. It creates a lot of noise though with low light especially dark skies. It's perfect camera to learn on your own along with reading online. Practice a lot and you'll get there. Anything more than a 5100 and you'll get overwhelmed. I want to go to a 7100 and I could sell my 3100 but I'll keep it because it will gets great photos. The photos I attached are edited in Lightroom but you'll see how forgiving the 3100 is to editing. I hardly did anything with these pictures but you can see there's no noise and no fading.
review image review image review image review image
on April 27, 2017
I love this camera! My extraordinarily trusting friend loaned me his for a trip to Switzerland and I really wanted to keep it when I got back. That was a few years ago and I finally can spring for it. I was happy to do so, even though it's discontinued. Yes, there are newer models, but this one is a steal for the quality of photos it produces. It's easy to use, and I can get amazing photos either in automatic mode or in manual mode, if I want to bring out the old photography student in me. I'm amped to finally have the option, after having my dad's old fully manual 35mm, which took great photos but had no digital capabilities, and required film. I was nervous about buying this camera used, but so far, on day one with lots of test shots of my annoyed dogs, so good. The photos are crisp and vivid. All the mechanisms are in perfect working condition. The satisfying click of the shutter will make you glad you bought it. Thumbs up.
on August 27, 2016
Purchased this thinking I would use the video option to produce great videos. With the ISO on auto the dusk video is super grainy and lacking in resolution. The megapixels only at 14 seem to leave a lot to be desired also. Granted I'm not a professional photographer or film maker but I was thinking this camera would take away a lot of the guess work. It's ok, but I probably should have saved the extra $100 and gotten the D3200. I used to own a T2i and the D3100 is not quite as good as that one in my opinion. At least I bought used I guess. I've seen some great videos with the D3100 but so far mine seem lacking. It has great functionality as far as the options on the camera itself. It is a really fun camera to work with, however the megapixels are just so low it's really hard to get decent shots wit this camera. If the lighting is perfect then you can get some fair quality shots with it (I'm using the kit lens btw), but again the resolution is just too low to really get much defintion in your shots. I really like this camera, but it's just not high enough picture quality. I should be ordering a new lens sooner or later in the next few months and we'll see what kind of difference that will make ultimately. I have always liked Nikon (used to own a D70) quality and I think the picture character is unique with Nikons but this is just too low of picture resolution to be any good for much of anything. I get decent shots every 10-20 tries, but it's a lot of work with the kit lens and lighting has to be perfect.

Mostly same goes for the video aspects. Again, I always thought Nikons were unique in their own way and I like Nikon, but the quality of video lacks. If the lighting is really good then you can get some decent film, but nothing to write home about. We'll see how well the quality changes after I get a new lens. The kit lens is very basic and just kind of lacking in desire with what you can get out of it. The picture is bland and doesn't stand out even at 24 FPS. There is no 30fps or 60fps and the ISO stops at 3200 I believe. So low light is very difficult and you lose a great deal of quality. With that said, I think you can get some great stuff with this camera, it's just hard to get the right scenes given it's lack of resolution and description ultimately. Hopefully a new lens will make it a lot better, but the stuff I've got so far is not at all close to what I've seen in youtube videos, granted they are using higher quality lenses most likely as well as post production editing software, of which I lack currently.

All in all I would advise anyone to save up their money and get a more expensive Nikon or Canon. As they say- you get what you pay for. This will do for absolute beginners as the lowest price is probably the least expensive on the market at $225. But another $100 for a newer model is probably well worth it. I will most likely be re-selling this one and going for a new model. But first I'll wait for the new lens. Ultimately fun to play around with and I'm genuinely impressed with all the on-board options available on this camera. Great stuff to learn on and play around with, but the picture and video quality just don't make the cut for anything more than a novice producer.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2010
This Nikon D3100 is a phenomenal deal for non professionals, the rest of us people that want to take family and travel shots. I've owned DSLRs since 2004, starting with a Nikon D70 and then moving to D40, D200 and Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) and Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only). Those are all excellent cameras, but this Nikon D3100 is better than all of those in one crucial area, the area that matters: it takes excellent pictures without having to fiddle with the settings between shots. Yes, the other cameras are better in other respects: They have more buttons to change settings without delving into menus, they are bigger (is that a plus?), heavier (another plus?), and have better specs (1/500 flash sync speed for D70 and D40), but in the end I would have to fiddle with the settings to get the best results: change the white balance, fiddle with the ISO (my Canons would default to ISO 400 for flash shots, why? Who knows. That meant disabling auto ISO and choosing ISO settings manually), the exposure (+0.7 indoor, 0 outdoor), and so on. D200 was noisy at higher ISO, D70's pictures tended to be cool (i.e. not warm), 40D had cool custom buttons (C1, C2, C3, very cool), but I found its ergonomics worse than XSi or any Nikon; why place the on/off switch at the bottom of the body? Who knows. Fortunately, new Canons have fixed this).

This D3100 also makes the D3000 and D5000 obsolete. The D3000 is slow and noisy at high ISO. The D5000 only shoots 720p (not 1080p), no autofocus in movie mode, less resolution. Old technology.

What sets the D3100 apart from all the other cameras above is this: set the camera in P (program) mode, auto white balance, -0.3 exposure compensation, slow flash sync mode (for people shots), auto distortion correction on (great!), auto chromatic aberrations correction on (great!), and you are set; now you can concentrate on the only aspect of photography that matters: composition, i.e. framing your shot in the best possible way. There must be a photography mantra that says, "thou shalt buy the D3100, and the D3100 will set you free." Now this is if you shot jpeg. If you shoot raw, you can then use a program like DXO, Aperture 3, or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 to further play with the pictures. My workflow with the XSi was to shoot raw, then use DXO to batch process all the pics according to two settings: people (low contrast, no saturation added) and landscape (contrast, saturation, etc.). DXO would then batch-remove lens distortion, chromatic aberrations, vignetting, apply custom curves, change white balance when necessary, and apply its (almost magical) auto lighting settings to make the shots pop. For now DXO does not have a custom module for the D3100 (still too new of a camera), so I'm shooting jpeg for now. Once DXO adds the module for the D3100, I'll takes shots in both raw and jpeg fine and compare the jpegs straight out of the camera with the raw images processed with DXO. I'm curious to see the comparison.

This is great, not only for you, but also for your non-photographer spouse; my XSi took phenomenal shots, but I had to know how to set it. Can you imagine me going to my non-photographer wife and say, "okay, when you take indoor shots of our kids, set the camera on A mode (Canons expose for ambient light in A mode and adjust flash for fill, that's great), +0.7 exposure compensation, ISO 400 or 800, white balance on cloudy, and shoot." My wife was lost at "okay." Sure the custom modes on the 40D would have helped, but the 40D is old technology; can it take 1080p video? I didn't think so. Plus, what lens are you going to use with the 40D? The 17-55 IS? Great lens, but who wants to spend $1,000 for a non-weather sealed 17-55 dust collector (google Canon 17-55 and dust)? Will 17-55 be enough for your telephoto shots? Your kids' baseball games? Didn't think so. What about the Canon 18-200? Sub-par quality, noisy, overpriced.

Back to the D3100. Auto white balance (the second most important thing after composition) works great, even indoor (no cloudy setting necessary), the only changes are extreme situations (outdoor shade, or indoor fluorescent or tungsten lights at night, but that is true with every camera. Why that is is beyond me; can't they make smarter cameras that account for these situations as well?); movie mode is excellent; yes, the mic is mono, but that's okay for family use (and that's why you buy this camera; if you are pro, you landed on the wrong page); if you really want to push it, you can use this camera for video, your iphone/ipod touch for audio with an app like FourTrack, and then sync video and audio in post with the excellent Singular Software Dual Eyes program. Your choice. Matter is: DSLR video can look awesome if used the right way, but keep in mind its limitations: jerky camera horizontal panning will give you the infamous jello effect (courtesy of the CMOS sensor), so pan slowly. You'll also have to play with autofocus vs manual focus settings sometimes; I've used the camera in autofocus; it has worked great so far.

What lens(es) should you use with the D3100. You should sell the (excellent) 18-55 that ships with the camera. Quality is good, but not enough reach. You can sell it for $140 or so. Take the money and use it toward a more useful lens. What lens? The target market for this camera is moms and dads that want to take shots of their kids; even advanced amateurs like me don't want to travel with a camera bag full of primes and heavy zoom lenses that you have to swap every 10 minutes; this is 2010 (almost 2011), for crying out loud; choose a single zoom and enjoy life and photography; I would use the excellent but underrated Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, the excellent (but expensive) Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR Nikkor Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras, or my choice, the jack-of-all trades, the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras. Yes, yes, if you check sites like Photozone, they will tell you that the optical quality of the 18-200 is not as good (or consistent) as the 18-105 or the 16-85, but it's good enough for moms and dads bitten by the photography bug. A great shot of your kid at 200mm is better than no shot with either of the other two lenses. The optical superiority of the 16-85 disappears at 135mm or 200mm, simply because it can't do it. The 16-85 and the 18-200 are about the same price. The 18-200 will set you free. It won't help you if your kids play baseball at night (too slow), but you'll have to live with it, unless you are willing to drop $2,000 on a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras. Sure, we'd all like a 16-300 VR VIII lens with a 20-stop VR reduction, constant 1.4 aperture, with optical perfection, weighing only 500 gr. and below $1,000, but alas our engineers are not as good as the random mutation and natural selection that gave us our eyes ;-0

My settings:
Display mode: detailed photo info > check RGB histogram and data > Done (why? You want to check if you are clipping the red, green, or blue channels)
Transition effects: OFF
Set picture control: portrait (for people shots)
Landscape: for, well, landscape shots: increase sharpness to 4 (D3100 shots are unsharpened by default)
Image quality: raw + jpeg fine (or jpeg fine, if you don't want to mess with raw)
White balance: auto (I played with the settings to A1, A2, A3, but images were to yellowish for my taste, as if my kids had jaundice). Auto works fine
Auto ISO: on
Min shutter speed: 1/30 (1/15 if you have steady hands)
Max ISO: I set 800, you can push to 1600 or even 3200 (your choice)
Standard ISO: 100
Active D-Lighting: on (it works well)
Auto distortion control: on (Great)
Movie settings: 1080 24p. You can also do 720 at 30p for less jerky movements
Info display format: i prefer classic black (your choice)
Auto info display: off
Image comment: your choice. I have my name, copyright (haha), and phone number
Beep: off (please)
AEL-AFL button: I only lock exposure, not focus.

My accessories:
67-to-77 ring adapter (if you have the 18-105 lens)
72-to-77 ring adapter (if you have the 18-200 lens)
77mm haze filter. I use the best, The B+W 77mm UVA (Ultra Violet) Haze MRC Filter #010 one. You don't want to use a cheap fIlter on top of a $350 or $650 lens.
77mm circular polarizer fliter; again I use the best, the B + W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Coated Glass Filter. This filter is for your travel shots. It will make blue skies bluer and will remove reflections from that gorgeous Maui ocean. This is an expensive filter at $180 or so; you don't have to get it right away, unless you are going to Maui soon.

Why 77mm filters? Because you don't want to go nuts buying filters of different sizes for your lenses. If buy the 67mm filter for your 18-105 lens and later decide to upgrade your lens to the 72mm 18-200, you are screwed. It's cheaper to buy a $5 lens ring adapter to 77mm and use 77mm filters. It'll keep you sane too.

Remember why you purchase this camera: you want to enjoy photography; enjoy it then.
5150+ comments| 537 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2015
I love this new Nikon camera it is the perfect camera for beginning photography which I bought it for my new photography business I did a lot of research on this camera and many others and found this one was the best one for the price. This camera came with the camera interchangeable lens you can buy other lenses for even better quality photos it also came with a camera strap two lens covers a Microsoft photo editing and video editing software it also came with a step-by-step Dvd to show you how to use the camera.it also came with HDMI cords and USB cords. A rechargeable lithium battry. I was very satisfied with the seller my camera I ordered it on Friday the 22nd he came here on Monday the 24th My expected delivery date wasn't even until the 29th it was shipped via FedEx ground and it was packaged very nicely I was very very pretty. Thank you Angel seller!!! I highly recommend this nikon and this seller.
review image review image review image review image
on March 24, 2014
Hello there! I'm Chandler, fourteen, and an amateur photographer. I got this as my first camera back in January and the camera itself is FANTASTIC. I bought it used in perfectly good condition, it just needed cleaned and the buttons had a little wear. I'd like to give you some reasons to buy and not buy this camera:

Pros:
- Offers great image quality in a DX (APS-C) sized sensor (14.2 effective megapixels)
- Small, lightweight, fits well in the hands.
- Offers a guide mode to get you out of auto and on your way to manual
- 1080p video at 24fps
- Battery life is fantastic.

Cons:
- The lens is not pleasing. I would highly recommend getting the body only and getting, for starters, the Nikkor 35mm (52.5mm equivalent on DX sized sensors) f/1.8 AF-S prime lens (Doesn't zoom, but a lot better in low light, plus sharper). It is great in low light and offers much quality for $199.
- Not fantastic in low light, "usable" images up to around ISO 1600.
- Shutter buffer clogs quickly (when using 3fps burst mode)
- Only 11 AF points, 1 cross-type.

Overall, this camera is fantastic, especially for being two generations behind. However, what really matters most is the glass that you put in front of it. Any pro will tell you to invest in a quality lens rather than stick with the kit 18-55mm lens. Plus, if you invest now, you will be able to use that glass on any Nikon camera you buy in the future (Despite vignetting on FX (APS-H) sized sensors). Trust me, I ignored the warnings and went ahead with buying the kit lens too. I regretted it, because I always wanted more. The quality isn't great, and neither is the low-light capabilities. BUY DECENT GLASS. Spending an extra $200 on a "decent" lens will help you tremendously (cheaper if you go used, or buy manual focus lenses, some for under $100).

Thank you for reading, and enjoy your plunge in to photography!
on March 13, 2014
I did a ton of research on the right camera in the price range before I bought this on tech sites and consumer reports. This camera comes very highly recommended so my expectations were set very high. This camera far exceeds my expectations!!! I upgraded from a 10 year old Pentax film SLR and it was a very easy adjustment. The features of this camera are very intuitive to use. I took this camera to Ireland on vacation a week or so after I got it, and was able to adjust all the manual settings I had gotten used to on my old camera without too much effort. I also find the automatic settings (auto, shutter, aperture, no-flash) to take very well balanced photos.

I was concerned that I would regret not getting the VR lenses for image stability and to reduce blurring, however, I haven't had issues with this at all. I have gotten used to stabilizing though with my old camera, so maybe this is why I haven't noticed it.

My only criticism of this package would be that there is no overlap in the lens' zoom. While traveling I found I had to switch lenses a lot because I would need to zoom in a little bit more than the 18-55mm, so would switch the lens out to 55-200mm, then 10 minutes later couldn't zoom out as far as I needed and would have to switch back to the 18-55mm. I think I just got used to having lenses that overlapped by about 30mm with the old camera, so got a little spoiled.
on March 22, 2014
I bought this camera to take better pictures of my son on the soccer field. For that, I would give 10 stars. The bigger lens (55-200 mm) is great for sitting in the stands or at the end of the field and capturing individuals on the field while still capturing bigger field shots as well.

The camera itself is fantastic. There are so many things I can do with it.

I took a camera class so that I could use it like it's really made for - on the modes where it's not just a giant, expensive point and shoot camera. Turns out, the smaller lens (18-55mm) is pretty junky and I need to replace it (that's why I gave 4 stars). My teacher says this is pretty typical in these kinds of sets. But it just isn't fast enough inside. Outside, pictures are great. Inside, even with proper settings, it just doesn't work - weird coloring, blurry, etc. If it's on the automatic setting, it does ok inside. Outside: amazingly gorgeous photos.

The battery lasts a good long time. I can easily get through a soccer game (so over an hour and I take a ton of pictures). It recharges quickly too.

Overall great camera. I gave 4 stars because I have to buy a better lens for inside shots.
on February 23, 2011
The Nikon D3100 is an excellent entry-level DSLR. Could you pay more to get a "better" camera with "more features"? Absolutely. But why? Would you use those features? I looked long and hard at several in my research before buying - the models I considered were the Canon T2i, Canon 60D, the Nikon D90, and of course, the Nikon D3100. In the end, I decided the extra features on those other cameras were features that I likely wouldn't use. I'm interested mainly in taking lots of pictures while traveling -- pictures of clouds, landscapes, maybe some street photography. I wanted a smaller, lighter DSLR with good battery life and great image quality. The D3100 delivers on all accounts.

So what do the cameras in the next price-tier have that the D3100 doesn't? A lot of stuff that most people looking in this price range won't be concerned with. Here's a list of the "missing" things and/or "problems" with the D3100 as I found while researching my purchase:

1) Most online reviews and forums mention a problem with AutoISO and the built-in flash. When using the built-in flash in full auto, AutoISO jumps straight to the maximum ISO value, which I believe is defaulted to ISO-3200. Nikon says this is intended to get a better exposed background, fine with me. Personally, I think that ISO-3200 images out of this camera are very useable unless you're pixel peeping. If you just want to blow up an indoor portrait to an 8x10 (or even larger, I don't know!), you won't have a problem. Don't worry about it!

2) You can frequently hear the lens auto-focusing in your videos. Ok, you got me. If you're in a silent environment, yes, you will hear the autofocus motor, but if you're recording kids laughing and having a good time at the local indoor waterpark or at a parade or something, it's not loud enough where it would be a bother. If it is an annoyance, you can still shoot video with manual focus.

3) No external mic input. The D3100 is sufficient for getting a clip when you want it, you're not going to have movie quality sound. Who carries an external mic with them on vacation? If you're buying a DSLR specifically for video capabilities, you probably should be considering a dedicated camcorder anyway. For my purposes, there's nothing wrong with mono sound.

4) Lack of bracketing -- too much to explain in a review. Google it and see if you would ever use it. I can see why it would be useful, but I doubt it'd be useful for on-the-go photography.

5) Manual settings buried in menus instead of having dedicated buttons -- Most people at the entry-level probably aren't shooting full manual. The D3100 features several "scene" modes that you can use, otherwise there's always aperture or shutter priority, or even full auto. Depending on which priority you're in, the scroll wheel on the back will adjust the aperture or shutter speed. If you shoot full manual all the time, you may want dedicated buttons, meaning you should look elsewhere. If you're not in full manual, I can't see this being a problem.

6) Lack of built-in flash commander mode -- you can't trigger an off camera flash using your built-in flash. Some DSLR's have built-in flashes with this capability, the D3100 does not. For travel photography, this isn't an issue. For most at-home photography, this isn't an issue. It could be for macro photography depending how close to your subject you are, or if you have a full studio with multiple flashes setup in your basement. If you decide at a later point you want this capability, some external flashes such as the Nikon SB-700 can function as a commander. Otherwise, you can use whatever external flash you wish in conjunction with the SC-28 or SC-29 cord inthe D3100's hotshoe.

7) Perhaps the biggest potential problem with the D3100 is the lack of a built in focusing motor. This means the D3100 will not autofocus with plain AF lenses (manual still works though). Any lenses with the AF-S designation will auto-focus just fine. This can be costly though - on some of the higher-end lenses, the difference can be $600 or more between the AF and AF-S version of the same lens. Again, this comes down to "what will you use it for?" For this, I go back here: If this is a problem, you shouldn't be looking at an entry level DSLR anyway.

Nikon ships the D3100 with the 18-55mm AF-S VR lens, offers a very affordable 55-200mm AF-S VR telephoto, and my personal favorite, the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens. The 55-200 can be had for under $100 if you catch a sale or rebate, and the 35mm can be had for under $200. These three lenses will cover most of the needs for entry-level photographers, and all three of them auto-focus on the D3100. By the time we as amateur photographers outgrow this setup, we will know specifically what focal lengths we primarily use in order to make a more educated purchase for the expensive lenses later on. And I'm convinced, when that time comes, you'll have your eye on the latest and greatest prosumer DSLR to go with your fancy new lens anyway.

Until then, enjoy the D3100 for what it is. A great, inexpensive, entry-level DSLR, which, in my opinion, produces excellent images when in the hands of a photographer ready to learn!
33 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Enthusiast: Photographyon October 4, 2013
I've had a few digital camera's so far (not Nikon) and have had nothing but problems with them for whatever reason. This camera with the two SLR VR zoom lenses is nothing short of fantastic! There are tons of features on this camera that I will probably never use, but the flexibility is tremendous and the pictures are just simply crystal clear, wow!! It doesn't come with a flash memory card, so you will need to get one. It will handle anything up to 64GB, but I got the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GByte SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 95MB/s flash card and it not only has more than enough room but it also simply rips with speed!! So far, this is absolutely the best camera I've ever had....probably the last one I will ever need!!! You will love the range of these two lenses; from the zoom 18mm (fish-eye) to the normal view 55mm lens, and from the 55mm normal view to the 200mm telephoto lens that basically covers everything you need!! And, the VR (Vibration Reduction) versions of both lenses are a must to give you super clear pictures. Yes, this is a little expensive, but worth every penny....highly recommended for ANY type of photographer.