Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 1, 2016
Listening to the complete Bach has always been a bucket list item for me and buying such a large collection, at such a price, one expects not the greatest performances. And to tell the truth, the first Brandenburg Concerto on disc one started out a little rough. But after that shaky start, pure bliss since then. Many great, if not transcendent, performances, performed on period instruments. So beware, you get harpsichord rather than piano. This becomes an asset as I re-fell in love with the sound of the harpsichord and pieces I was used to hearing Gould play.

Can't imagine a better gift for a music lover. 142 discs will keep anyone occupied for quiet awhile.
7 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2015
If you are a fan of JS Bach's vast range of music then this is the set you need as a foundation for your Bach collection. True it is that some specific recordings now avaiilable may be better or different but this collection of 142 disks is a grand total of Bachs works, from his cantata's, his chamber music, his orchestral suites and his grand organ music. His great passions are also included, St Matthews, St Johns as well as his superb Mass in b minor.
A must for any lover of the vast repertoire of this seminal composer.
6 people found this helpful
on November 12, 2013
A very good collection for the price. I have gone through about 50% of the discs so far and have found that the recording quality is generally clear and crisp. I have certain preferences when it comes to the cantatas, passions, oratorios, and the Mass but to have everything in one collection is convenient beyond words. Each disc comes out to be less than $1 per which is amazing. I've spent upwards of $50 for the 2 Passions and the Mass by J.E. Gardner. The DVD bonus discs of the passions and .PDFs of the complete works round out this superb collection. Highly recommended.
6 people found this helpful
on July 30, 2016
it is much too early for an accurate review of all the music contained here. i have heard the first 22 discs so far and am so friggin happy with this purchase. now i bought ludwig vons complete set a couple years ago. well this one has treasures to be found throughout i am sure. right off when i listened to the two discs featuring cello suites i was thrilled to hear a tune that i have liked since early youth. its title is cello suite 1 in g. later this afternoon i will start the keyboard section of discs. the period style instruments really put this music over the top. thanks amazon brilliant classics and of course j s bach for all that work.so finally a return to the bach update for me. now on disc 87 in the church songs part. the other night i heard a melody that i have heard all my life. i remember it as disc 82 track 12. that darn bach does not have any tune titles. but i also heard a bit of cor angalaise if im not mistaken. . so i am past the half way part and still groovin on the oldies. i have been reading up on the evolution of musical instruments. and because of this initial purchase of bach that old style sound has been sought out in 2 other box set purchases. hey it took me 63 years to figure out baroque rocks and it rocks big time. back after completion myself.
5 people found this helpful
on March 1, 2017
A wonderful collection of Bach music. Love the period instruments. Good sound quality. Highly recommend.
on March 10, 2018
A+++
on August 5, 2012
It was about a month ago that I ordered and received the 2010 Bach Complete Edition. Overall I must say that I'm particularly pleased with this collection of works. Indeed it was to my disappointment to find a few BWV works missing, however the set is a gem by all accounts.
Hans Fagius serves as the organist for every organ work (close to 300 tracks of music). His recordings of the massive preludes and fugues are superb, as well as the chorales and such. I find his recording of the Wedge (BWV 548) to be particularly pleasing.
I am very pleased with the recording of the st. Matthew Passion, as well. I've never heard a Passion in full that used all Baroque instruments. Unique indeed. The St. John Passion is a bit different for my taste---I was used to John Elliot Gardner's conduction with the Monteverdi Choir. Jesus, in this recording, is a bit too 'bass-y' and his vibrato tends to get bothersome, but other than that...Stephen Varcoe does a brilliant job as Pilate---it was Gardner's recording that used Varcoe as Jesus. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
As far as bad news...the box wasn't as sturdy as I thought it would be. It was not falling apart---hasn't yet---and one corner is on the verge of being torn away. All the CDs were there, which was good, however with the DVD sets, the second which is the St. John Passion begins with O Mensch Bewien Dein Sunden Gross. 1725 Version...which I still don't understand.
I haven't listened to the Cantatas in full, but it's fun to hear their openings are realize that the themes are used as the openings to concertos (BWV 1052, 1053, 1048, 1059) and Masses. Speaking of Masses, BWV 232 is fair enough; the Kyrie is brilliant, and the Agnus Dei is a bit quick for my liking, but the soloist sings beautifully.
Ah, the Coffee Cantata, BWV 211, is a fun piece to listen to! A parody indeed.
So, that's all I can write for now. If anyone's interested, I've got a blog called Mitch's Pipes.
Thanks!
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 6, 2013
Whew, this is a large collection! This guy's output, in terms of disks, is 50% larger than the complete works of Beethoven and the keyboard works of Scarlatti that I also own. Eventually I'll get into the choral works, which are the most numerous. (The index, and the box itself, are categorized by type. Handy.) But so far the harpsichord performances are good to very good, and sometimes excellent. I can get bored by mediocre harpsichord playing pretty quickly, but what I've heard so far is super. I look forward to the organ pieces.
on December 11, 2013
This collection is a remarkable introduction to the works of Bach. Overall the performances are very good, there are a few performances I was not impressed with, but as a whole this collection represents a good standard. There are a few gems in here as well. You will not find a better collection of Bach's complete works for the price. I calculated it cost only $0.70 per CD! An amazing value.
on June 9, 2015
I love this set of cd's. Bach is my favorite