Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 2, 2010
I agree with other reviewers regarding Amazon.com's misleading product description that this laptop comes equipped with a bluray drive. Since the complaints they have removed that description. Before buying I researched and had discussions with other members (in the discussion threads) about the config of the laptop. We confirmed that there was no bluray and I decided that for the price I am willing to purchase it. The key factors were the intel core i3 cpu and samsung's reputation of quality.

After using it for 2 days ... I can testify that for the price ($560) it was worth the money. It is fast and build quality is very good. The machine looks classy with its glossy exterior in platinum finish and the hand rest is also of the same color and material. I had Lenovo, Fujitsu, Compaq, Acer and Sony before and the Samsung is close to the Sony in terms of quality build. The performance of the i3 is also pretty adequate for my use. The Compaq and Acer are far from the build quality of this laptop.

There is hardly any bloatware installed except for some trial games, Samsung's own system mgt software, trial Mcafee. I have since removed most of it. My Sony came with tons of bloatware.

It is also pretty light to lug around. Screen is also sharp and clear and comes with it's calibration tool just like a TV. Keyboard has separate number keys which is pretty useful for numerical data entry. There is also an HDMI output port which is useful if you want to hook it up to a HDTV for watching DVDs. Very silent unlike some laptops where you can hear the cooling fan. The main reason why I chose to go intel vs amd was the overheating issues with some of the amd series of cpus. This one generates practically no discernible heat (I leave it on for almost 12 hours a day).

Well, will recommend Samsung laptops from now on.
32 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on December 31, 2010
I did a great deal of study before buying my wife a laptop for Christmas. A lot of brands had poor reviews on quality and customer service, but Samsung did not. The only negative comment I found on the model we got was that it had a short battery life. It's true. From my experience with other laptops, if you are worried about that, get the 9 cell battery. This item is a great unit for this price range, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
11 people found this helpful
on January 27, 2012
As the title says, I've had it for a year and a couple of months now, and I haven't had any problems with it. There's not really much to say in the pros or cons, except I can't seem to play blu-rays without having to download a special program for it. Everything works on it the way I'd expect it to, and I've had no problems with any performance, graphics, battery, etc.

Since theres no issues, yet no absolute praises either, I rate is 4 stars - better than average, but nothing outstanding to push it above and beyond.
on April 13, 2011
Samsung R540-JA02 16-Inch HD LED Laptop (Platinum Finish) Amazing deal and beautiful laptop. I got mine for a great price; only $434 on Amazon warehouse deals; It was an open box item but is completely new and it even comes with all the original packaging and manuals; Original price is $729!

-Ok, so it's been a few months since I bought this laptop and I still love it. It's super fast, pretty and light. I love it! It's a great quality laptop at a great price. I can't live without it. The screen is HD and looks amazing. Soooooooo fast even with all the crap I've filled it up with. Don't need to go in and delete stuff to make it fast again like with other cumputers. Battery life it great. Amazing product.
2 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2010
I was looking for a good notebook with a good price. I know that if the price is low, the quality is the same. but, in this case I think I made out pretty good. I can only think of one con with this one. No Blu-ray drive. -_-. But some of the other models come with it so complaining will get me nowhere! Very good computer. Very happy.
4 people found this helpful
on November 12, 2011
Very Nice Quality Laptop - Clean, attractive appearance, fast processing, crisp display. A good, dependable machine and a nice break from the typical big chain computer brands. I am not quick to give all five stars but have found no reason not to for this product.
on December 28, 2010
product is very good.Better than I thought it would be.The screen is super clear I3 is fast platinum finish looks really nice overall i must say so far its what it say it is.
3 people found this helpful
on December 29, 2010
When I ordered this computer,I read first carefully all the specifications to see that it brought with it the points taking my special attention. One of this points was that it came with a blu-ray drive.Upon receiving I had to find out there was no blu-ray drive inside.After looking back at Amazon for this computer and seeing that I was not the only one to be mislead before they changed the specifications.Amazon didn't answer correctly my claim about it.Still hoping for a correct answer.
One person found this helpful
on December 7, 2010
This is a great computer for the price. I've had mine for about a week, couldn't be happier. I love Samsung products, always some of the best for the price
5 people found this helpful
on December 1, 2010
One of the reasons I picked this computer is because it was suppose to come with a blu-ray drive. But when I got it there was no blu-ray drive. And now when I look at the description it no longer says blu-ray drive. So i feel like they are hiding their mistake. Plus I missed out on cyber Monday deals because of their mistake.
8 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.